Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Blacksuit posted:

Hey, Dazz. Since your stats are evenly distributed between strength and dex in your blind run, have you considered going for a Quality build?

Full Disclosure: The Blind Run ended like 5 days after release so everything there is set in stone. For what it's worth, I do experiment with some quality-ish weapons later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dazzling Addar posted:

Full Disclosure: The Blind Run ended like 5 days after release so everything there is set in stone. For what it's worth, I do experiment with some quality-ish weapons later.

How many times have you played through the game already? I'm jealous you have so much time for games. I bought DS1 on Steam at Christmas and I'm still not done with my first run because life.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

How many times have you played through the game already? I'm jealous you have so much time for games. I bought DS1 on Steam at Christmas and I'm still not done with my first run because life.

It's honestly not a very long game, especially once you know where you're going and where to find the things you want. I mean this is a ymmv sort of thing because of course dying for hours on a boss makes the game 'longer', but the bonfire and shortcut frequencies are such that you'll rarely seriously struggle to make progress towards the next boss for a long period of time.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
took me a little shy of 50 hours to beat it on my first run, though a lot of that was invading. i figure a new player can do it in 40 probably, or less if they're a Hardened Dark Souls Pro like Adder.

still don't know if that really counts as "not very long", though. 10 hours is 'not very long'. but 30, 40, 50...?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

took me a little shy of 50 hours to beat it on my first run, though a lot of that was invading. i figure a new player can do it in 40 probably, or less if they're a Hardened Dark Souls Pro like Adder.

still don't know if that really counts as "not very long", though. 10 hours is 'not very long'. but 30, 40, 50...?

Oh I agree it's not actually short in time to completion, to me it just feels really short for whatever reason. I think it's the linearity of the layout of the world, like I almost wish Catacombs of Carthus were a separate spur from the Undead Settlement or something just to make things feel more spread out.

We'll have to wait and see what form the DLC ends up taking.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I've completed it about 4 times or so. My first run clocked in at about 30 hours, though being on stream the whole time sort of hurried me along where otherwise I might have taken my time.

As for being jealous of my time for games, well, that just sort of comes with the territory of being an unemployed college graduate. Once you fill out enough job applications, they start to go by quickly.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
We're what, roughly halfway through the game now? (Based on having 2 of the 4 Lord's Cinders.) And it's been just over two months? Slowbeef did kinda take his time at Bloodborne but it still took like a year to get through that one.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

We're what, roughly halfway through the game now? (Based on having 2 of the 4 Lord's Cinders.) And it's been just over two months? Slowbeef did kinda take his time at Bloodborne but it still took like a year to get through that one.

That's a little different. He and Diabeetus needed to synch schedules while recording both Bloodborne and various other LPs and videos, plus they were going for 100% on a blind run. As we were just talking about, the blind run here was just a raw streamed run immediately after release, being cut and edited for posting over time. I don't think the timelines are really comparable, looking at slowbeef's blind streams of Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 2 would be a better comparison.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

We are halfway through the bosses but I'd characterize us as like 60% through the actual game. And there are 2-3 bosses you could EASILY miss on a blind run which could add to that.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I've got a nice little two for one deal for you tonight, though I admit one of them is quite short.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I've found it is much easier to stick the landing if you roll off the left side of that bridge in the Firelink Tower, rather than jumping. Not... uh, guaranteed, as you yourself learned, but easier. You do have to jump to the stuff on the opposite side, though.

Dark Souls will always be plagued by this whole boner FromSoft has for platforming in a game engine that is not designed for it in the slightest, I guess.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bursting Fireball and similar multi-projectile spells are probably garbage as a(n over)reaction to Dark Bead being so stupidly powerful in DS1.

KieranWalker posted:

I've found it is much easier to stick the landing if you roll off the left side of that bridge in the Firelink Tower, rather than jumping. Not... uh, guaranteed, as you yourself learned, but easier. You do have to jump to the stuff on the opposite side, though.

This is the more consistent way. While it is possible to land on the coffin with the item on it, the actual space you can stand on there is incredibly small so it's really hard to pull off. The standing space available on the coffin beneath it to the left is much greater.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The design of the smoldering lake seems bewildering. Granted you pan the camera pretty rapidly so maybe I'm missing a bunch of tunnels and stuff, but it seems weird that it's basically just a big room with an unreachable archer at once side and a boss door at the other.

Although a lot of boss rooms in this game seem to be weird dead ends, like the deacons of the deep.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The design of the smoldering lake seems bewildering. Granted you pan the camera pretty rapidly so maybe I'm missing a bunch of tunnels and stuff, but it seems weird that it's basically just a big room with an unreachable archer at once side and a boss door at the other.

Although a lot of boss rooms in this game seem to be weird dead ends, like the deacons of the deep.

The area is a lot bigger than Dazz has explored so far.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Genocyber posted:

The area is a lot bigger than Dazz has explored so far.

She's actively avoiding the crabs which walls off probably half the room.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Late night double take because I am in control of my life.

Blind Episode 39: Electing the Way of Pain
Blind Episode 40: If Only I had A Ladder

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I love that trap in the dungeon. When I went through there, I killed all the jailers first, then explored. When the scream happened I was trying to figure out what the hell the point of it was, then it dawned on me how cruel that would be if you were trying to sneak past.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
When you got to the Profaned Capitol and decided to turn back for the sake of exploration I was actually yelling "NO NO NO" at my monitor

I mean I haven't played the game but I'm familiar enough with the Souls games to know there HAD to be a bonfire near there

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

It looks like when their lantern turns red and they have you in line of sight, that's when your max hp starts dropping. Not that it helps you at this point, since you're past them now...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

It looks like when their lantern turns red and they have you in line of sight, that's when your max hp starts dropping. Not that it helps you at this point, since you're past them now...
Also it seems like the max HP loss is based on % of current max HP rather than an absolute amount, which means that while it drains your mass HP extremely fast in the first few seconds each tick knocks off less and less health as you approach 0 HP, and the effect may be incapable of killing you outright

The jailers strike me as a sort of living environmental hazard rather than enemies you should outright takeout, especially when you encounter them in groups. Try to get around them, accept that you'll lose some HP in the process, and trying to navigate them will probably kill you a few times before you figure it out.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

It looks like it's draining the HP/Equip Load stat, not Max HP, hence the effect on rolling?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
They drain your max HP by looking at you, they reduce your max equip load with that gas they spew, they drain your max resolve to make it through this dungeon by being bullshit.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

this area of the game is maybe a bit much

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Did that last Gargoyle try to Shoryuken you? That is amazing.

Toxic spider swamp is balls, not amazing.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bellmaker posted:

It looks like it's draining the HP/Equip Load stat, not Max HP, hence the effect on rolling?

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

They drain your max HP by looking at you, they reduce your max equip load with that gas they spew, they drain your max resolve to make it through this dungeon by being bullshit.

If I'm not mistaken the gas is basilisk curse gas, and it's actually getting hit by the branding iron that lowers your max equip load and HP stat (causing fat rolling and extra HP loss). Line of sight with them simply drops your max HP.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Sorry for the brief hiatus, I was taking a bit of a break from things. Regular updates should resume. Here's one now, fresh from the oven.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What is it with poison swamps in Souls games being so bad?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Technowolf posted:

What is it with poison swamps in Souls games being so bad?

If you put poison in your game you are bad, pretty much.

Umister
Dec 24, 2007

Glad to have you back, Daz!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The walls seem to be unfairly biased in the enemies' favor.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The first poison swamp wasn't so bad, like they were setting you up for "You thought there wasn't going to be a terrible poison swamp in this game? Well, this one's toxic!"

I'm also hoping the prepared run explains how to deal with the HP draining effect, because it really seems unfair in a not-Souls way. Jailer enemies that debuff and swarm you are a strong idea but "if you encounter these guys, you'll have to pay the healing tax, nothing you can do about it" just... isn't.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

The Late Night Dazz Double Special, coming right up.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I too was surprised by the sheer number of mimics in the greater Irithyll area. Including the one in the Pontiff Sulyvahn boss room, there are a whopping five in Irithyll and three in the Profaned Capital--which means there actually are more mimics in Irithyll than in the entire first Dark Souls, no hyperbole involved.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

It's honestly something that in retrospect kind of bothers me. Mimics lose their charm if there's five million of them lying around the same spot.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It's just to make players swear more, otherwise the Profanity-Laden Capital would be poorly-named.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Alright well naturally after I say that regular updates should resume I come down with a weird summer illness thing. Never rely on me to tell the truth. At least I try real hard.

pro menu navigation action

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.
Check it out, we made it to the end of the stream archives that made it to YouTube! I can start watching the blind updates again. They were pretty fun to binge through when they were first posted, to get a sense of what being new to the game is like. Now I can finally see what's beyond the dancer! (I've been too chicken/distracted to actually attempt the game myself :sweatdrop:)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man, I guess technically you could go make a quick run to a nearby bonfire before placing the basin, but placing you unsuspecting before another boss like that is a Real Dick Move.

I think its interesting how Aldrich casts this super long shadow and there's this whole big ordeal to get to him, and all of those followers to get through. Meanwhile you just sort of stumble across the Watchdogs, and everyone seems completely quiet on Yhorm except for the opening and the back of his Throne telling you where he is located. Might be a character thing, considering what little we learn about Yhorm through his item descriptions.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Dazz, have you really managed to retain the same avatar for your entire time on SA? I'm really impressed :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

paragon1 posted:

Man, I guess technically you could go make a quick run to a nearby bonfire before placing the basin, but placing you unsuspecting before another boss like that is a Real Dick Move.

I think its interesting how Aldrich casts this super long shadow and there's this whole big ordeal to get to him, and all of those followers to get through. Meanwhile you just sort of stumble across the Watchdogs, and everyone seems completely quiet on Yhorm except for the opening and the back of his Throne telling you where he is located. Might be a character thing, considering what little we learn about Yhorm through his item descriptions.

To be fair, Aldrich was not where we expected him to be, i.e. his crypt.
Instead, Pontiff Sulyvahn is using him as a personal garbage disposal to get rid of the last of the remaining royal family and also using his ability to see the future or other obscured events in order to maintain power.
Too bad he didn't see YOU coming. :vd:

• Locked thread