Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it's a good thing that echizen's girlfriend is the impossibly perfect miyano, who could win anyone over. a lovely gay shortbread cookie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's Rino! :D

Edit: I can't believe I had already forgotten the "living bullet" Miyano. :(

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 21, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tanaka, your imouto is defective, she does not satisfy moe anime standards.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What part of 'brocon kuudere' doesn't satisfy moe anime standards

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

nielsm posted:

Tanaka, your imouto is defective, she does not satisfy moe anime standards.

I think Saya will make up for any lack on Rino's part, whenever she shows up.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the candy mystery lead-in to her introduction but Tanaka's sister is probably the character I like the least. She works better IMO when she's with Ohta's sister so I hope they get to that soon. It's surely about time for an episode set at the fast food place anyway.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Not the next one, according to the ending segment, but yeah, I'm looking forward to that one too.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Everything Burrito posted:

I like the candy mystery lead-in to her introduction but Tanaka's sister is probably the character I like the least.
Reasons to not like Rino:

1) Bullies Oota
2) Romantically interested in her brother
3) she hates oota seriously what the HELL

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Rino's deeply understated tantrum at the end of the episode was pretty great tho.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Hey, I'm up for more 'Oota unwittingly trolls Rino' moments.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I don't know what you all are on about, Rino was adorable. Maybe she's more annoying in the manga? I've pretty much committed myself to reading it after the show concludes, so I guess I'll see.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
nah she's about the same, I just don't like that kind of character

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'm fine with Rino, honestly. It's a fun gag to have that kind of character (accurately) intuit that her biggest rival is the MC's closest male friend.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I finally was able to watch the anime for this, and the first thing I want to say is that the soundtrack is hella chill. The OP is my favorite :3:

I also have full faith in Ohta and that he'll surpass any obstacles that Tanaka's sister may place in his way. Ohta is the best.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Romantic interest in a sibling is just not funny at all to me and kinda poisons the well for any jokes or scenes she appears in. Making her overprotective without going completely brocon would have worked just as well IMO, especially with the contrast between competent sister and useless brother. Being upset about how Oota spoils Tanaka even still works since he's just making him more and more useless.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the cold open to candy reveal to opening titles and theme was so great

this should be memeified like the openings to its always sunny and curb your enthusiasm

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The ED is really also very good, sadly only as the combination of song and visuals. The full length song doesn't do much for me.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Romantic interest in a sibling is just not funny at all to me and kinda poisons the well for any jokes or scenes she appears in. Making her overprotective without going completely brocon would have worked just as well IMO, especially with the contrast between competent sister and useless brother. Being upset about how Oota spoils Tanaka even still works since he's just making him more and more useless.

It's not really romantic interest though, is it? By my measure it stopped at an intense but still funny place, never really going full creepy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's not really romantic interest though, is it? By my measure it stopped at an intense but still funny place, never really going full creepy.

eh, I think part of the basis for the jokes is that she IS that creepy but it's just not a thing that I personally find funny. Mostly I'm just glad she's more of a secondary character and doesn't show up that often, and she's definitely better in the group interactions so the worst is over anyway (as far as I know from the manga).

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Rino is a bad person. :allears:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

eh, I think part of the basis for the jokes is that she IS that creepy but it's just not a thing that I personally find funny. Mostly I'm just glad she's more of a secondary character and doesn't show up that often, and she's definitely better in the group interactions so the worst is over anyway (as far as I know from the manga).

I just decided to ignore the vibes her character was giving off and instead pretend she was just obsessively competing to see who could be Tanaka's real best friend, and then it was funny again.

Either way, Ohta's obviously gonna win. Sorry, Rino.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's just enough deniability to say it's not romantic and she's just jealous, but the subtext is pretty off-putting.

The rest of her antics are pretty fun though, so I'm willing to hold on to that deniability.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Brocon isn't really my thing but Ohta, Tanaka's oblivousness, and Human Bullet Miyano made up for it.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
How you gonna watch Anime and not be cool w incest and pedophilia, get outta heeere

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

How you gonna watch Anime and not be cool w incest and pedophilia, get outta heeere

:yikes:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Tanaka's explanation of why he doesn't want a girlfriend was really endearingly stupid :3: He's a lazy dork

Macaron~!

Knorth fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 22, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

h-hello...?

Ahh! Hi there!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Well, hopefully Rino's crush won't be a big thing in the rest of the show but other than that, I liked her dynamic with Ohta and thought her voice actor was pretty nice so I hope she pops up occasionally

https://a.pomf.cat/uuizfa.webm

:3:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

This was my favorite Rino moment from the episode. Such a wonderful plan, as expected from a member of the Tanaka family.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Another stellar episode of Tanaka-kun, as always!!!!!!

Also we're getting more Echizen next week, judging from the preview?????

AAAAAAAAWWWW YEAH.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
im still mad at echizen

Jintor
May 19, 2014

rino's adorably cute tantrum/pout was pretty good. less into brocon but i can put up with it if the comedy is okay, which it was

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Knorth posted:

Tanaka's explanation of why he doesn't want a girlfriend was really endearingly stupid :3: He's a lazy dork

Adorable.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
The scene with Tanaka wandering the deserted school building was wonderful- BGM, visuals, shadows, animation, everything. It really felt like what they were mimicking.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Usually, emergency exits are marked in the USA. I don' t know what it's like in Japan though. Looking at the size of the school, I'm thinking I'd have the same difficulty.

I was hoping to see more Rino this episode. Maybe introduce us to Ohta's little sister too?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That was excellent. Echizen was in top form.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Echizan's stuff wasn't in the manga, at least as far as it's been translated, and I just don't remember, right? It was really cute.

I like the candy mystery lead-in to her introduction but Tanaka's sister is probably the character I like the least. She works better IMO when she's with Ohta's sister so I hope they get to that soon. It's surely about time for an episode set at the fast food place anyway.

Dan7el posted:

I was hoping to see more Rino this episode. Maybe introduce us to Ohta's little sister too?

Next week!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Onean posted:

Echizan's stuff wasn't in the manga, at least as far as it's been translated, and I just don't remember, right? It was really cute.
I think the manga is up to the 60s, and the first part with Echizen & that self-study part are from untranslated chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Sweet.

• Locked thread