Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

where the red fern gropes posted:

question because i never found out the answer, why does emilia introduce herself as satella the first time subaru meets her

To test/scare him off. She was suspicious he was being so friendly with her, despite being a silver-haired half-elf.

Turned out he wasn't even forcing himself: Subaru genuinely ignored all the negative connotations regarding Satella, giving Emilia just about the most unprejudiced treatment she'd ever received in her life. It blew her mind.

Slime posted:

Unknown. Speculation ranges from her just wanting to make Subaru gently caress off to that being her real name and she is the jealous witch.

Emilia is Emilia. Speculation to the contrary is just a step above Hughes faking his death.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also becoming Main Love Interest right away.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Emilia is Emilia. Speculation to the contrary is just a step above Hughes faking his death.

emilia is the witch of envy

she's envy

envy transformed into emilia and that's who we've been seeing this whole time, and right before the start of the series she killed hughes (who actually faked his death)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wark Say posted:

Also becoming Main Love Interest right away.

It's just so defining of Re:Zero, that they have an impactful and meaningful introduction, circumstances that could've only happened between the two and mutual chemistry resulting in the immediate blossoming of friendship and a little bit of romance...

And then it's all poisoned by the loops, leading Emilia to spend the next couple months wondering just why Subaru is so obsessed with her. A thought always in the back of her mind, applying subtle strain to their relationship.

Which I'd say is the biggest difference to how Rem sees him, because our blue-haired oni maid completely ceases caring about the mysteries surrounding Subaru once he breaks her out of her cage.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

You guys made me want to rewatch the whole thing again

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

Unknown. Speculation ranges from her just wanting to make Subaru gently caress off to that being her real name and she is the jealous witch.

I doubt it is the last one or else it would have been just fine for Subaru to tell her what was really going on.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I doubt it is the last one or else it would have been just fine for Subaru to tell her what was really going on.

Well in the spectacularly unlikely that Emilia == Satella, Satella is probably fine with ending a timeline where Subaru gets with her younger self. Because she's crazy enough to be jealous of her own younger self.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tei posted:

You guys made me want to rewatch the whole thing again
You can also read the fully translated 4th arc online afterwards. It's possibly one of the best arcs I've ever read.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Slime posted:

Because she's crazy enough to be jealous of her own younger self.

Aren't we all, though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

You can also read the fully translated 4th arc online afterwards. It's possibly one of the best arcs I've ever read.

That sounds appealing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Grouchio posted:

Like part of me wants to, but part of the appeal of Re:Zero is that the animation really makes me buy into the absolute horror that the series represents. I don't know that a comic can do that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Like part of me wants to, but part of the appeal of Re:Zero is that the animation really makes me buy into the absolute horror that the series represents. I don't know that a comic can do that.

What about the Light Novel?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, how many arcs did the anime cover? I could kinda count at least 7.
  • Subaru gets transported to Another World, meets Emilia and gets her badge back.
  • Subaru gets cursed, realizes what's the dealio after getting murdered by the Oni Sisters several times before deciding to cliff himself promising to save everyone
  • Subaru and the Oni Sisters vs the Mabeasts
  • Emilia abandons Subaru after the disastrous meeting in the Royal Election, the Witch's Cult start making making house visits.
  • White Whale first appearance, Subaru's despair intensifies and Rem does her speech.
  • Subaru and his homies murder a Gojira album cover. :black101: intensifies with Old Man Wilhelm.
  • Subaru and his homies buttfuck Petelgeuse's faction of the Witch's Cult.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Three arcs. Introduction, Roswaal mansion and White Whale/Return to capital.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

In rough terms, every time Subaru starts looping is a story arc, even if his reset point moves forward.

First Arc covered everything from his arrival to saving Emilia from Elsa.
Second Arc covered the events at the mansion, until he defeated the shaman
Third Arc starts with arriving at the capital for the introduction of the Royal Candidates, and ends with saving Emilia from Petelgeuse and the aftermath.

You can subdivide them into parts, but that's how they're narratively structured. There's a prologue, then Subaru gets killed and resets, and his trial becomes to discover why/how he died and both avoid it and save others, plus an epilogue. Arc 2 the conflict starts when he mysteriously resets, and doesn't get solved until he defeats the shaman (or more accurately, the tamed mabeast they used). Arc 3 you get a lot of worldbuilding and plot setting up with the events at the capital, but that's prologue to the meat of the arc which begins when he returns to the mansion to discover the massacre (or alternatively, you can consider the start to be his break with Emilia) and doesn't end until after he saves her from Petelgeuse. The White Whale was just an obstacle in the way of his true objective :black101:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is a web novel being referred to (because it's the source material), not a manga. There is a Re:Zero manga, but as far as I know it hasn't covered anything beyond what the anime covers (and might not in the future either).

I recommend the WN, because I'm not sure how likely it is that the 4th arc will ever get adapted into an anime (it's not impossible, but WN/LN adaptations usually don't get second seasons unless they're madly popular). The WN is actually better than the animation in some ways, because you get inside Subaru's head as he's experiencing all his terrible poo poo. Though there are a couple fights from the 4th arc I would love to see animated.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't re:zero madly popular

Was that just here? How popular was re:zero in japan?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I recommend the WN, because I'm not sure how likely it is that the 4th arc will ever get adapted into an anime (it's not impossible, but WN/LN adaptations usually don't get second seasons unless they're madly popular). The WN is actually better than the animation in some ways, because you get inside Subaru's head as he's experiencing all his terrible poo poo. Though there are a couple fights from the 4th arc I would love to see animated.
Buddy, there's an OVA involving mayonaisse in the works for this holiday season. Emilia's birthday got ~300k shares on twitter today in Japan. A second season will surely be greenlit next year.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

Re:Zero got batshit popular in Japan. Like, maybe not quite as popular as something like Attack on Titan (who, for a couple of years, actually got as popular as the Big 3), but maybe like Sword Art Online.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

The LNs immediately hit the bestseller list after the anime came out and it was selling good numbers on disc too.

The problem is not that it wasn't popular, more just the author is still frantically cranking out the LNs for the arc that happens after the anime ends. There's a good chance it'll get another adaption once there's enough books in print.

No guarantee though, a lot of LN producers figure their job is done after doing one anime season for advertisement even when a second season is free money.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

madmac posted:

The LNs immediately hit the bestseller list after the anime came out and it was selling good numbers on disc too.

The problem is not that it wasn't popular, more just the author is still frantically cranking out the LNs for the arc that happens after the anime ends. There's a good chance it'll get another adaption once there's enough books in print.

No guarantee though, a lot of LN producers figure their job is done after doing one anime season for advertisement even when a second season is free money.
It'll happen. The second to last volume of Arc 4 just went on sale. And Arc 4 has enough content for a two-cour.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Grouchio posted:

Buddy, there's an OVA involving mayonaisse in the works for this holiday season. Emilia's birthday got ~300k shares on twitter today in Japan. A second season will surely be greenlit next year.

You say that, but we waited 4 years for Attack on Titan season 2.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

It's a pity the anime cut out a lot of the foreshadowing and plot hooks for future storylines. I'm sort of curious how they'd fix that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You say that, but we waited 4 years for Attack on Titan season 2.
And 9 months for Konosuba.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ok, the drat hoodie one is too cute.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/914180810911227904

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
calling it now: in the OVA a Return By Death happens because a batch of mayo went bad

also: did the LNs covering the same arcs as the manga go into more detail into what the deal was with those insignia? Specifically why reinhartd flipped out when he saw Felt with one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't that originally Emilia's insignia and the reason Reinhardt flipped was due to the insignia reacting to Felt and him having a "Holy poo poo!" moment when he realized what this meant?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Zetsubou-san posted:

calling it now: in the OVA a Return By Death happens because a batch of mayo went bad

also: did the LNs covering the same arcs as the manga go into more detail into what the deal was with those insignia? Specifically why reinhartd flipped out when he saw Felt with one.

It's explained well enough in the anime: the insignia reacts to the royal candidates. The insignia Felt was holding was the one she stole from Emilia (the whole reason Emilia was looking for her), and Reinhard saw the gem was glowing while in Felt's hand.

As to why he asked about her name and family, that's because his first instinct was to wonder whether she was related to the now deceased royal family - an illegitimate daughter or such. This last bit is a part where the novels do go into a little more detail; blonde hair and crimson eyes were traits of the Lugnica family.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

True, but wrong girl. :colbert:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cuntellectual posted:

True, but wrong girl. :colbert:
Wrong girl develops into Best girl after Arc 4, courtesy of Subaru.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Grouchio posted:

Wrong girl develops into Best girl after Arc 4, courtesy of Subaru.

I don't think i can believe that Rem gets dethroned from best girl.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Brownieftw posted:

It's unfortunately true, though (I liked her too). :(

I AM NOT GOING TO SPOILER WHY, I'm not a dickweed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Brownieftw posted:

:yeah:

Wark Say posted:

It's unfortunately true, though (I liked her too). :(

I AM NOT GOING TO SPOILER WHY, I'm not a dickweed.

Spoil it for me!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

Spoil it for me!

Brownieftw posted:

Who the hell is Rem?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Is leaving the race while you're ahead really losing?

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Cuntellectual posted:

:yeah:

Spoil it for me!

i know. i don't consider getting forced out to be a valid option. they're searching for a way to get her back iirc!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Brownieftw posted:

i know. i don't consider getting forced out to be a valid option. they're searching for a way to get her back iirc!

Yeah, they are.

Clearly the only way Emilia can beat Rem is getting Rem out of the running. :colbert:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 4, 2017

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
If nothing else, I would say that it's true that Arc 4 is very good for Emilia, and the closest thing to a true spotlight arc that she's gotten so far.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just re-read one of the climaxes of arc 4 (the third witch tea party) and I remembered why I think it's one of the best scenes in fiction I've ever read.

Echidna is a solid 'third-best girl', I'd love to date someone like her, and I cannot wait to see her animated next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will there even be a next season?

• Locked thread