Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So is Arc 3 starting next episode or the following?

Strap in kiddos. I hope you're ready.

(Screencap this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hello Aldebaran my old friend. You've come to talk with us again. Within the sound of silence.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NowonSA posted:

It's also the most damaging experience he can have. Dying absolutely sucks, but it's a relatively brief pain in most of the cases we've seen, and probably going forward since he's sure to die again. Full-on mental damage is the most likely thing to really rattle him or sideline him, and the most likely to persist through a death reset. Like, he can try to win her over again, but even if he did just hop off a tower immediately after the talk at the end of ep. 13 the knowledge of how much she rejected him would eat away at him.

If I was in his shoes, the only two things to fear on a personal level would be being tied up and permanently held captive and emotional/mental fatigue or damage, other stuff going really wrong in his own life or others tends to be relatively minor when you can die and reset to undo it. We all assumed he'd crack because he kept looping, and he was like that at first, but this was an emotional headshot that's gonna be hard to bounce back from.

Remember, Rem straight up murdered him (multiple times!) and he only spent like, an episode living in fear of her and her sister before bouncing back with enough resolve to kill himself for the first time. Gonna be interesting to see how long it takes him to mend this relationship, and what lengths he'll go to in order to make it happen.
SUDDENLY ALDEBARAN

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kazy posted:

I bet the reset point is going to be him waking up to Emilia tearing him a new one again.

Each time he resets, he'll have to suffer through that.
:siren:By the time this arc ends his reset point will be peak suffering. I swear and know.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now we need pixiv to start drawing Punished Subaru stuff and we're golden.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Watching first time anime viewers catch up with Betelgeuse is the most amazing thing to witness.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

We need Webms to come quickly.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Again, we need tons of gifs of Betelgeuse being Betelgeuse. The ham from him could roast BRIAN BLESSED.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sydnesider posted:

That Episode. Those loving credits. I don't think I have viewed something this brutal since reading Berserk, or early Shingeki no Kyojin.

The punch you get from Rem's deaths just get worse and worse

Or from reading Punpun?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wouldn't Puck be going berserk in his giant form and thus be indiscriminate in whatever he kills within radius?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Sandman posted:

gently caress Dark Souls, this is Moe Nier.
Nier is more depressing/hopeless than Dark Souls?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thar she blows!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think this goes well with the episode/season/arc in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfjSb5eoSgk

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: Spoilers :siren:

OH GOD I KNOW HOW THIS ARC ENDS AND I AM NEVAR GONNA BE READY FOR IT AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sydnesider posted:

Ha, I'm just repeating the same post after each ep.

I don't want to go back to Kagoshima :ohdear:
We never left Kagoshima. It cycles through our minds like a wretched time loop.

*spoilertalk*
You guys don't suppose Arc 3's end will faithfully follow the light novel's canon, do you? :ohdear:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 1, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A ray of hope shines through an episode of Re:Zero, for once.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want a godamn second season next year.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:drat:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

bman in 2288 posted:

Genocyber, you got 2 Beetlejuices now. It's spreading.
Hammy acting is always infectious. Just like deconstruction/heartbreaker shows. And this show is now officially AOTY.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who's read ahead in the novels and knows quite well what's coming? :yaycloud:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 22, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(Spoilers...?)

You guys worry too much about the hypothetical sometimes. Time loop's a time loop. A load back to a last save. We're not dealing with Flowey now are we?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A White Whale clock would surely drive you insane.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That will probably be mentioned next episode at some point.

Which BTW will be 40 minutes long!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

darkgray posted:

Er, any source on that? Looking at the TV timetables, it's a regular length 30 minute block.
It's supposed to be a double episode. TV timetables are loving with you.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: SPOILERS :siren:
WHY DID THEY CUT OUT THE MOST IMPORTANT SCENE!? :livintrope:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ChaosSora posted:

They didn't actually cut it, they just went to credits right before the scene started. You can actually see Subaru's mouth start to move right as the credits start. I'm guessing they wanted the anime to end with the calm before the storm since they don't know if they're doing a season 2 or not.
There should be enough momentum and demand for a second season, right? How are sales?

And I wonder if anyone's curious to know what exactly got cut out? :getin:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Spoil me. PM if you'd rather not put it in the thread.
You have PMs disabled though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Shouldn't be, I got some like yesterday or the day before. I'll dive through my settings.

e: Says they're on now so give it a go but don't sweat it if it doesn't work.
I still cannot message you, your post history does not load, and when I try to see your profile it says that you don't exist.

It's as if these forums' memory of you has been wiped clean, by everyone except me.

WN Arc 3 :siren:

Now apply that last sentence to Re:Zero. Think it through.

You now have your spoiler.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Define context. I'll do it but what do you mean?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Alrighty. Time to elaborate.

:siren: SPOILERS FOR EPILOGUE OF ARC 3 :siren:

Who's Rem?

This is the question Emilia makes when asked about meeting up with Rem at the capital by Subaru, shortly after the last scene shown.

Turns out that soon after separating from Subaru Crusch's party, and Rem, are attacked by the Archbishops of Gluttony and Greed. Hakugei was the former's pet and creation. They attack Crusch's party, and Crusch has her memories erased and her arm severed - while Rem, who for some reason reveals her name to Gluttony, has both her name and memories eaten. While everyone remembers Crusch fine afterwards (and is physically healed) - Rem is not only forgotten by everyone but Subaru, she is also now rendered a vegetable. And all of this happened before the blank letter was sent, which is why it was blank in the first place.

When Subaru first sees her body he immediately kills himself, to everyone's horror. His return to death however sends him back to his giddy reunion with Emilia, and he screams skyward - now that his new checkpoint disallows him from undoing Rem's 'death'. When he talks with Puck again later he is told the basic workings of Gluttony's power and comes to the conclusion that killing Gluttony will be the only way to get Rem back (not that it will happen for several arcs though). The arc then ends, while Subaru lugs Rem's body around until the day her name and memories are returned. The plot marches on.

This is basically what I know in summation and is bound to be modified somewhat by the next season.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Not that I'm surprised you're a spoiler reader but quite a few of your details are wrong
I figured as much.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Huh. I appear to have found either LN or WN translations of the chapters right after episode 25. Should I post a link?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Huh. I appear to have found either LN or WN translations of the chapters right after episode 25. Should I post a link?
Screw it I'm posting the link:

:siren: Link contains obvious spoilers for Act 3 Epilogue. Read at your own risk :siren:

https://translationchicken.com/2016/09/12/rezero-arc-3-interlude-ii-lets-eat-12/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would it be safe to say that we could expect an OVA covering the Arc 3 Epilogue this winter at earliest, followed by season 2 in a year or so? The author kind of has to adapt the entirety of arc 4 from WN to LN first, and that alone deserves two-cour treatment. I'm also hearing that we can expect an OVA spinoff with Ferris sooner than later, right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

They'll just use Ram instead, it'll have less emotional impact overall, but it won't tank the merchandise.
Unfortunately that isn't canon, and is considered to big of a long-term plot-point to gloss over.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

a kitten posted:

please don't compare anything in elfin fuckin lied to this actually good show
:same:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Clarste posted:

I've only read the spoilers here so I don't know the details, but I don't see how being in a coma makes a character less marketable. If anything, a girl in a coma is the ultimate waifu, since it maxes out on helplessness moe and savior fantasies. I mean, maybe if she were killed off entirely or something.

1) White Fox is playing it safe with regards to future seasons and hates to leave such a tense cliffhanger for their (supposedly) pilot show as it tries to be faithful to the WN/LN material. While annoying short term, it will be of great long-term benefit to the company and the franchise.
2) Considering that the WN hints that it will be until around Arc 8 that Subaru fights and (perhaps) defeats the Bishop of Gluttony, meaning it would be that long before Rem (and Crusch's memory) are healed, I can understand if White Fox sweats bullets around Rem being out of commission for that long. Somebody in the company needs to mention your strategy to the producers I swear...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raxivace posted:

So I just marathoned this entire series in about 36 hours, having completely missed it while it was airing. It is quite good, and incredibly watchable. Two issues kind of stick out to me though.

1. In some ways it kind of feels like a "greatest hits" of recent similar anime (Stuff like Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica, Higurashi, Umineko etc.) plus Dark Souls and Final Fantasy VIII. It was a bit noticeable to me...though on the other hand, I think the show did a generally amazing job turning all of those influences into a single coherent whole, and it takes a lot of talent to do it this well.

2. I think the show loses a lot of steam once the White Whale is defeated. It never quite gains the edge back that made it stand out throughout the rest of the show (Though possessed Subaru was pretty great), and in some ways I think it just sort of becomes a less trashy SAO. It's still way better than SAO ever was, but I feel the bar was set pretty high and was met for the most part in the rest of the show and then it just sort of becomes acceptable I guess. If I had to give a reason for this, it would be that Subaru just kind of ceases to be an interesting character when he's confidently succeeding in his plans. I mean this is a world where he's died several times just for walking into the wrong room at the wrong time, but twenty episodes later we're flying through the sky on icicles with whales and soloing goo monsters that have a bunch of arms and a grudge. The show was always going to get there, but it just feels like it happens a bit quickly. Also Rem was best girl, who actually thinks Subaru has more chemistry with Emilia?

Really good show overall though, I'll definitely check out the second season.
The producers decided to chicken out on an important scene at the end to prevent a massive cliffhanger that, let's say, brings the Dark Souls vibe back. Second season will be very interesting indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hey guys look what I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wwpJN52FqY

• Locked thread