Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/amc-texting-theaters-phones-1201752978/

quote:

Would appealing to millennials involve allowing texting or cellphone use?

Adam Aron: Yes. When you tell a 22-year-old to turn off the phone, don’t ruin the movie, they hear please cut off your left arm above the elbow. You can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone. That’s not how they live their life.

Its only a matter of time until you can use a hashtag for the theater where you are at and it will show up in a overlay for the movie you are watching.

Anyway I am going to go cry now at my altar to Father Cinema, maybe the ghost of Orson Welles will fix everything wrong with this cruel dark world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
AMC is also going to start pausing the film and rewinding it when someone has to get a refill or go to the bathroom.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
don't be so dramatic

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
AMC is considering hiring employees to play recordings of screaming, crying children during films to quote "make sure everyone is still awake or something"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
AMC will add an app to your phone that will tell you to just watch the movie whenever you ask something that is about to be answer in 30 seconds anyway.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Next think you know they're going to let people eat and drink in the theater.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Going to the theater kinna sucks in general. It's not like everyone follows the no cell phone or no talking rule now. And paying $17 for a ticket ($21 for imax) when you can buy an HD digital version of the movie for quite a bit less is p dumb, so I'm not surprised AMC would do this.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 14, 2016

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
AMC is planning to experiment with switching the scores of every single new film with the soundtrack of Inception because quote, "kids really like that movie right?"

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i need my phone to look up fun facts about the production during the film

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
They're going to allow people to play with themselves during the film, but only if it's an R or NC-17 movie.

PBS Newshour posted:

AMC will add an app to your phone that will tell you to just watch the movie whenever you ask something that is about to be answer in 30 seconds anyway.

An app that scrolls the captioning of the film so you don't get anymore, "What did that guy just say?!"

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
AMC is going to let heavily armed gunmen in on packed opening night premieres and allow them to kill scores of people

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
P soon they're gonna let these chucklefucks have a steak and cigar. :clint:

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

JiveHonky posted:

i need my phone to look up fun facts about the production during the film

vh1s hit popup videos coming to an amc theater near you #neatfacts !!!!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
They should invent movie projection lights that reduce the contrast of the light from the cellphones and the dark. Or make cellphones that are readable in the dark but don't exude light like a TV screen.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
AMC must stand for Americans MURDERING (quality) Cinema!

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Live Tweets from the audience will display on the screen once per minute

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
AMC is going to upsize their drinks, again. A small will be a 32oz for $7, a medium 44oz for $7.25, and a 64oz with free refill for $7.50

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
LOL @ anyone who pays money to go sit with strangers and eat a $7 3000-calorie bucket of popcorn while holding in their pee for 2 hours instead of being patient and downloading it and watching it at home in your underpants like a civilized person.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Haier posted:

LOL @ anyone who pays money to go sit with strangers and eat a $7 3000-calorie bucket of popcorn while holding in their pee for 2 hours instead of being patient and downloading it and watching it at home in your underpants like a civilized person.

also sometimes the other people talk or move, this disturbs me quite a bit

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Haier posted:

I have a small independent movie theater in my town and it's amazing. I saw a movie literally by myself the other day. Don't discount the power of seeing a movie in theaters, it's powerful.

Also lol who the gently caress buys popcorn.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I stopped watching movies in theaters once I realized I was paying half the cost of owning the movie to watch it once in a room full of noisy dipshits.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If you live in a city you probably have a good smaller theater, if you live in anything smaller you have a theater that isn't going to be pack all the time for every showing. Like its not that hard to not have a bad movie experience.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

if they want to appeal to the snakemen then why don't they just close down their stupid theaters since nobody loving cares about the loving movie theater

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Doppelganger posted:

I stopped watching movies in theaters once I realized I was paying half the cost of owning the movie to watch it once in a room full of noisy dipshits.

This is a p good point. It's even cheaper to rent online or from Redbox when it comes out, too.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Doppelganger posted:

Pretty much
Also my tv is 112" so theaters are really lame now.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Haier posted:

This is a p good point. It's even cheaper to rent online or from Redbox when it comes out, too.
Yeah, it's really not that hard to wait another 3-4 months. There's TONS of other media out there to enjoy while you wait.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Doppelganger posted:

i cannot sit down and watch movies by myself, so it's more about the experience with friends at the theater

also the local theater is independent and also only charges like $5 a ticket and $3.50 for a large popcorn, so it's cost effective enough

e: also no, we're not the assholes that talk the entire movie unless the theater is absolutely empty, like it was when a couple of us saw Interstellar. that was fun yelling at Matt McCoughnagheyey that he is a pussy.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 14, 2016

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I have a small independent movie theater in my town and it's amazing. I saw a movie literally by myself the other day. Don't discount the power of seeing a movie in theaters, it's powerful.
It's awesome to have the place to yourself. I usually wait to see movies until near the end of their run. The theater is pretty much empty then.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i agree, the best way to make it more appealing to go to theaters isn't to make the tickets cheaper but to make the theater experience worse for your customers

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

AMC plans on mopping the floor with soda so the floor's always sticky

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hahahaha gently caress AMC and super gently caress that guy they quoted.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Having a side screen with scrolling livetweets from people in-theater (and maybe all watching the same movie at the same time like for big premieres) is actually a pretty good gimmick idea for a cinema.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ruddiger posted:

the nearby AMC just revamped the entire place to include recliners and a bar, so that's the only reason i'd still give them business

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

ruddiger posted:

I read the quote more as him saying "Oh yeah, are you kidding? Millenials are the loving worst, of course they'd want to text in theaters."

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

rakovsky maybe posted:

Having a side screen with scrolling livetweets from people in-theater (and maybe all watching the same movie at the same time like for big premieres) is actually a pretty good gimmick idea for a cinema.

like lots of things geared towards millenials, they're desperate gimmick pivots that only piss off your remaining customer base while failing to entice anyone new to actually enjoy your lovely, overpriced product

i mean, you could make movies worth $20 a ticket or reduce the ticket prices, but those things cost money

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

rakovsky maybe posted:

maybe they can have some ads that display at the borders of the screen that change every minute, you know some extra revenue for their model

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

rakovsky maybe posted:

I know a guy who actually tried to get something like that off the ground, never happened as far as I know. It'd be ok if it was a special screening for that, but I think the lag between typing, sending, and posting would make it hard to get much MST3K-worthy comedy out of it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Middle aged man driven to blind fury by meaningless non-answer to provocative question because someone mentioned milennials in the headline

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
This is why I go to Regal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Doppelganger posted:

I know a guy who actually tried to get something like that off the ground, never happened as far as I know. It'd be ok if it was a special screening for that, but I think the lag between typing, sending, and posting would make it hard to get much MST3K-worthy comedy out of it.

Goontube.

• Locked thread