Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what's his username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

The human eye/brain is trained to recognize sudden movements out of the corner of your eye, it instantly draws your attention. Now couple this with a dark theater where the only source of light is the screen itself and it basically means anyone fiddling with their phone in your peripheral vision is going to draw your attention even if you're trying to ignore it because it's really bright.

Also factor in that the theater slopes downwards and you can see a front row phone from the back and it becomes extremely loving galling.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
where is everyone getting this information that movie theaters are doing really badly lately? i thought they actually had a recent uptake

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i only go to the 21+ theater where they serve dinner and the waiters are more disruptive than people texting and nobody gives a poo poo about texting

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.cspinet.org/nah/articles/moviepopcorn.html

quote:

For example, the company's 430-calorie medium morphed into 590 calories and 33 grams of saturated fat. And the 660-calorie large became a 1,030-calorie behemoth with 57 grams of sat fat. It's like eating a pound of baby back ribs topped with a scoop of Häagen-Dazs ice cream (except for the extra day's worth of sat fat in the popcorn).
Fake-butter fans must love AMC. The chain lets patrons pump their own "buttery" topping. No skimpy tablespoon of extra fat on a small or two tablespoons on a large, like Regal claims to use. With 120 calories per tablespoon, you should be able to squeeze another 200 to 500 calories into the bucket of fat cells in your lap.
AMCs website lists the calories and sizes falsely low on purpose to make people think that their garbage is less garbage.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haier posted:

AMCs website lists the calories and sizes falsely low on purpose to make people think that their garbage is less garbage.

how do you even make popcorn that unhealthy I honestly don't understand

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

The human eye/brain is trained to recognize sudden movements out of the corner of your eye, it instantly draws your attention. Now couple this with a dark theater where the only source of light is the screen itself and it basically means anyone fiddling with their phone in your peripheral vision is going to draw your attention even if you're trying to ignore it because it's really bright.

From what I remember as a kid the drive ins used your radio right?

that sounds like a lame excuse for having a poor attention span. so you notice that someone has a phone out. it isnt like you are gonna be perpetually distracted by its presence. true, people are frequently rude af with their phones. but strangers inflicting one second of minor inconvenience is an incredibly petty thing to dwell on.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Serious Frolicking posted:

that sounds like a lame excuse for having a poor attention span. so you notice that someone has a phone out. it isnt like you are gonna be perpetually distracted by its presence. true, people are frequently rude af with their phones. but strangers inflicting one second of minor inconvenience is an incredibly petty thing to dwell on.

If they're using it constantly then yeah it'll repeatedly catch your attention. It's straight up part of human biology for you're eyes to be attracted to that kind of thing, you can't avoid it. Certainly not the end of the world no but pretty lame and inconsiderate to do in a movie theater considering they tell you like 500 times to turn off your phone and if you really just have to use it you can always just step out for a minute. If you wanna half watch a movie while screwing around on your phone just watch it at home I don't really get why you'd go to a theater in the first place.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

woah, you really turn this on its head, i thought it was the ones with the PHONES who had the short attention span!!.!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Having someone text in the corner of your eye, esp. if it's a freaking 3D movie, is beyond obnoxious.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

ArbitraryC posted:

120 calories a tablespoon (self serve) means the average popcorn is probably closer to 3000 calories lol

Like, you KNOW these lard asses are going to try and get their monies worth.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Drive Ins are good. You can sit in your own car with your own climate control, some of them let you bring in outside food, free wifi, just a vastly more chill experience than sitting in the theater.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Screw paying 7 bucks to go sit in a smelly theater with sticky floors when theres a drive in nearby

I was about to mock you for living in the 1950's and then I googled "drive in theater" and there's one less than an hours drive from me. then a zeppelin flew overhead and now i dont know what the gently caress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jose Mengelez posted:

I was about to mock you for living in the 1950's and then I googled "drive in theater" and there's one less than an hours drive from me. then a zeppelin flew overhead and now i dont know what the gently caress.

White people are obsessed with bringing back the 1950s.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Haier posted:

This is only an issue if you are sedentary, eat a garbage diet all the time and go to the movies often. So the average American is hosed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They should just do away with the screen and livestream the film directly to the audience's phones so everyone can sit in the dark and silence watching their personal screens while wearing noise cancelling headphones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
People who use their phones in cinema are literal dirt. I throw stuff at them regularly.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Haier posted:

so you're saying we should ship a few popcorn machines to Africa and the food problem is solved.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

AMC is going to let heavily armed gunmen in on packed opening night premieres and allow them to kill scores of people

lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I work in academia and I've seen more than a few new students in the last couple of years who have actual panic attacks if they can't use or access their phones so not surprising

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

drat that is insane. He left to get his gun, came back, and murdered a dude throwing popcorn at him and was given bond.

:florida:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

is this a real question? butter and salt

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Having someone text in the corner of your eye, esp. if it's a freaking 3D movie, is beyond obnoxious.

you know what else involves movement and bright lights? the movie you paid money to see. might as well complain that sometimes people get up to go to the bathroom during movies. that can also be distracting but so what? but no, gotta whine whine whine about the pettiest of grievances.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

revmoo posted:

drat that is insane. He left to get his gun, came back, and murdered a dude throwing popcorn at him and was given bond.

:florida:

florida finally learned that there's only one way to solve itself

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I've literally never noticed someone using their phone in a theater unless I looked at them directly because most people have touch screens and turn the brightness down, and before you whine about it, you can't hear their fingers touching the screen unless they have no idea how to use a phone.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
As a millennial I *loses train of thought as attention drifts down to phone*

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I spent the entirety of the new Mad Max film reading the dude next to me's text messages. He was texting some girl he'd just met and throughout the film they made plans to meet up and then go back to hers afterwards. It worked out nicely because there wasn't really any plot to Mad Max so whenever there was a lull in the action I could just follow the rom-com happening in the seat to my right. Afterwards I told him good luck banging Sarah, she's cute, but I'd watch out for the guy friend she was with in the third photo she sent, it looks like he kinda has a thing for her. Pretty sure he appreciated the advice.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
it's cool there will still be old ppl theaters that don't allow these shenanigans for another 20 or 30 years

anyway AMC is a struggling piece of poo poo lol they are grasping at straws trying to stay afloat

what really appeals to millenials? theaters that aren't garbage loving dirty and torn to pieces, bathrooms that don't stink of poo poo

this is why i pretty much only go to theaters fewer than 10 years old, because they decay rapidly

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pitdragon posted:

AMC must stand for Americans MURDERING (quality) Cinema!

Actually didn't they get bought by the chinese now

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

TOOT BOOT posted:

Drive Ins are good. You can sit in your own car with your own climate control, some of them let you bring in outside food, free wifi, just a vastly more chill experience than sitting in the theater.

turning on your headlights is the drive in equivalent of using your phone in a regular theater

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the theater i go to is kinda new and i don't know who wrote their cues but sometimes when i've gone the can lights (which usually stay on during the previews, go off during hte movie) just never loving go off, and it is distracting as hell

would hav eruined mad max for me if that movie didn't exhaust itself in the first 15 minutes

i think maybe they've got the cuing fixed now because i haven't noticed it the last few times i've gone there, last time i went the cans reduced to almost nothing but stayed on just enough to perhaps provide light during an emergency exit situation but not enough to be distracting? dunno

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
When I was little I once caught lice from a movie theater.

That's my movie theater story.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

nomadologique posted:

i think maybe they've got the cuing fixed now because i haven't noticed it the last few times i've gone there, last time i went the cans reduced to almost nothing but stayed on just enough to perhaps provide light during an emergency exit situation but not enough to be distracting? dunno

in the local piece of poo poo Odeon near my gf's house, we saw a film and the people there just flat out forgot to turn off the house lights while the film started.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ya that sucks, lol

i was so mad after they left the cans on, if they left the houselights on i would actually get up and go get someone to turn them off

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i dont mind someone sending the odd text or whatever but if they're like continously playing with their stupid phone? that's dumb and annoying. I had someone on a loving tablet once just playing dumb games (I think?) through an entire movie.

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

tenspott posted:

turning on your headlights is the drive in equivalent of using your phone in a regular theater

Yeah, drive-ins are far from perfect. On a recent trip to the local drive-in the family in the car(s) next to ours let their nine kids run around playing flashlight tag the entire loving movie. They were loud and noisy and just generally lovely kids. At one point they shined their flashlights directly into our eyes and, even after telling them not to do that, they kept coming back to do it every 10 minutes or so. Parents didn't do poo poo about it. It was like they just let their kids loose on a playground or something.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

nomadologique posted:

this is why i pretty much only go to theaters fewer than 10 years old, because they decay rapidly

i dunno, just depends on who owns it and how much they give a poo poo I guess.

there's an old small theater here that has the 1920s big neon sign still and serves pizza/beer/wine with tables/couches/chairs. it's perfectly clean and a lot of fun.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Xaris posted:

i dunno, just depends on who owns it and how much they give a poo poo I guess.

there's an old small theater here that has the 1920s big neon sign still and serves pizza/beer/wine with tables/couches/chairs. it's perfectly clean and a lot of fun.

Turns out that actually giving a poo poo keeps customers coming to your locations.

Unfortunately, giving a poo poo costs money and that cuts into shareholder dividends, so we can't do that

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Texting in the theater is easy. If anyone says anything, just tell them you're sorry and that you've been in a hospital waiting room for the past five days and needed to get out. The texts is your mom updating you on your dad's condition and she needs reassurance but you had to distract yourself with something and the movies seemed okay. Your mom is convinced his eye movement is a sign but the doctors don't think it means much. Tell them you'll leave if you're disrupting them and they'll most likely apologize and feel good about themselves for confronting you and then granting you mercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I go to the movies fairly often and I only very rarely see someone using a phone or talking loudly. Then again, I tend to go either super late or super early so half the time it's just me, an old guy, and some couple making out in the back that compromises the entire audience. I don't know though when I went and saw star wars over the holidays the theater was packed and no one used their phone but some lady did bring a baby that started crying but she got up and left the theater immediately and didn't come back till the baby calmed down. I can't really get too mad about people breaking the rules at a theater though cause I almost always sneak in liquor.

• Locked thread