Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

Caffeine IV posted:

How's the return on the potion generator? I'm about 50/50 on completing Fang Extreme runs right now, but I feel like I could've salvaged most of those fuckups with a single clutch heal.

Your wish is granted. These skills cost a couple thousand rupees every couple days. Also do your Coop missions daily so you get items you can sell for cash. Coop missions are also required to unlock Ninjas and Samurai.

Mechayahiko fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Boy, I can't even do the level 20 version of Sagat with my current party. Tried a wind-party too and could only get through maybe 1/3 of his health bar.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 16, 2016

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Yup the initial month is alittle rough if you want to chase event rewards. If you could clear VH difficulty of boxes you'd have a shot of getting the other characters.

Collaboration events seemed fewer in between, but this SF event would make two collaboration events over two months. Last month was kinda nuts between 5 idol SRs and 3 of them able to reach 5*.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Sent a friend request so I can join the crew. Name is some random thing in Japanese, which I apparently can't change for awhile?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Drakes posted:

Yup the initial month is alittle rough if you want to chase event rewards. If you could clear VH difficulty of boxes you'd have a shot of getting the other characters.

Collaboration events seemed fewer in between, but this SF event would make two collaboration events over two months. Last month was kinda nuts between 5 idol SRs and 3 of them able to reach 5*.

It's too bad there isn't an easily unlocked raid to leech event rewards from. I feel like I've been a bit spoiled with that now.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Just glad I don't care about street fighter so I can focus on team strengthening. That Suzaku event was pretty handy when I'm working on a fire team though.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Crew is full now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Yeah, there's zero chance that I'm gonna get Chun-Li or Karin but I just stuck Ryu and Rashid in my sub party and probably won't have a problem getting them but they don't seem all that great.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
O-oh the Crew filled right as I was throwing out a friend request hah, you can ignore it then. (Also a Foecast since I didn't realize just how many days it takes before renaming is possible.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If someone wants to start a second Goon Crew, I'll add it to the OP.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
got the app installed now just to wait until the inevitable better gacha pull event to actually start playin
shame that 70 free pull event ended just before the english language option

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Maniac Necalli down! No more off element maniacs, poo poo is way too stressful.

Gave survival mode a spin and it's far more interesting than expected. Can pretty much fuel itself if you come out with surplus points for potions.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

I am envious of your Thalatha.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Arcade Mode from the old event is a lot more fun visually than the new Survival Mode one I feel.

I love that that they made beat up portraits for all the fighters (what happens if you lose?)(Sorry Feather, Vyrn is always saying you shouldn't challenge me.)

Wait. What's this!?

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Mechayahiko posted:

Your wish is granted. These skills cost a couple thousand rupees every couple days. Also do your Coop missions daily so you get items you can sell for cash. Coop missions are also required to unlock Ninjas and Samurai.
Thanks, already saved me a chunk of AP :dance:.

I just snagged Karin, and I'm working towards the Sotoja now. Dunno if I can grab Chun and the og SF weapon on top of that, though. Would it be better to try for the 8k point copy of the Sotoja, or get a copy of water fists?

I haven't tried Survival or Arcade mode, either. Do those also drop trade-in mats like the boss runs?

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
So if I started this three or so days ago, should I just give up on getting Karin or Chun-li? I'm getting absolutely rocked by pretty much anything except the story modes and my measly single SR weapon doesn't seem to be doing anything for me.

The only SR characters I have are the four that have been handed to me. (Katalina, Rakam, Rashid, and Ryu)

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
You honestly aren't likely to be able to clear enough of those boss fights to get the mcguffins to trade for Chun Li or Karin with the resources you've described. You might be able to get enough for one of the weapons, though, so that has value if you can pull it off.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Alright. Guess I'll have to go for those then. I was planning on going as a Melee using class anyways, so this kind of works out.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

If I get the Special Pick ticket, what's the best things to grab with it? So far I have these for SSRs:

Character: Sophia, Katalina, but here's a picture of my box right now: http://i.imgur.com/E9H3Cca.png

Weapon: Murgleis, Ocean Harp

Summon: Satyr

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
So, uh, what's this game about? What do you do in it?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
^
Kinda covered in the OP, pretty much a rpgbattlergrindfestcollectathon.

Tsurupettan posted:

If I get the Special Pick ticket, what's the best things to grab with it? So far I have these for SSRs:

Character: Sophia, Katalina, but here's a picture of my box right now: http://i.imgur.com/E9H3Cca.png

Honestly just pick whatever interest you, check a tier list if you want someone who's more useful. Characters that can hit 5* are generally a safe bet, although do avoid light/dark till you have a weapon pool to support them.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Yoda, Sara and Cagliostro look the most interesting character-wise. I was thinking I might need a better primary summon, though. The beginner guide seems to like Grani a lot?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Check out the tier list I linked in the OP if you haven't already. It does a good job if you go through the tabs at detailing what's good/bad/interesting about each of the SSR and SR characters, plus a section on which R characters are pretty good. With that you should be able to figure out how you might want to put a team together and what you might want to get to compliment that team.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Broadly speaking, the game punishes jack of all trades. Huge amounts of overall effectiveness comes from weapons, weapon skills, and summons. So even if, for example, you have three top-tier fire characters for a party, you're still relatively gimped if you don't also have a good fire summon and fire weapons. The summon's aura alone can easily provide a 40+ percent boost to your attacks. The weapon skill on each SSR weapon you have equipped could be adding another 6+ percent. Do the math real quick and you'll see that your party's power can be tripled by the right equipment.

So the question is less 'what characters do I need?' and more 'if I get these characters, do I have the other stuff to support them, or can I acquire it easily?'

Tsurupettan posted:

RNJesus was not overly kind to you at this point. You have a fire summon, a water attacker, and a light support. Satyr isn't so good that I'd feel inspired to build a fire team around him. Katalina is good, so going for more water probably wouldn't hurt, especially if you do the Cocytus fights to pick up his summon for free. Then you'd have a couple good water characters and a decent water summon to go with them. Sophia's great support, and none of her skills specify that they work better on light element, so she doesn't really lose usefulness if you stick her in another element's party.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The general gist of how things work:

Characters: Utility. There are a lot of characters who just deal straight out damage but many solid characters have abilities that help manipulate a fight to make it easier, like slows, fear, stat buffs/debuffs, that simply add up to far more than a simple 20k or 200k damage nuke. There are SR and even R characters who are very powerful so don't think you need SSRs to perform well, but you have to face the fact that if you have a team full of B-tier characters you aren't going to have an easy time.

Weapons: Damage. While some weapons do have auxiliary effects on an ougi/charge attack or passive effects that are very good, much of the damage you will see will come from optimizing weapons, particularly ones that have attack-boosting skills. Levelling skills can top out at an extra 10/12/15% to your damage output PER WEAPON, which adds up when boosting a strong weapon set. Weapons dropped by the Omega/Hard series of Raids will also get a 50-100% boost from equipping the appropriate summon. I've played since the Slayers event in January and still can't take on the Maniac bosses in this event, not for lack of a toolkit but simply because I can't do enough damage before the bosses whittle me down.

Summons: Damage/Utility. Summons are honestly one of the least likely things you are going to be capable of controlling, you will either grind for a Primal Summon on the event rotation (Lady Katapiller/Ifrit/Cocytus/Sagittarius/Vohu Manah etc) for a decent boost, build up an Omega Summon for that powerful 100% Omega weapon boost, or get a Summon from the Gacha that you will likely be unable to max out because you will need multiple copies of that summon to do so. On top of that, while you'll get tons of material to boost up your weapons and characters with, but exp for summons are far less common. Still, you will need to pay attention to them because the friend summon you pick before battles as well as your main summon will have their passive effects applied to your party, and this can mean boosts of 40% to 120% or even more for your team.

Of all of these, the ones you are going to be most capable of grinding out on a regular basis are better weapons (the weapons, in particular) and summons dropped from Tiamat/Ygg/Colossus/Leviathan/Chev/Celeste raids, with Tiamat and Yggdrasil being two of the easiest, Leviathan and Colossus being potentially the hardest and Chevelier and Celeste being unusual gimmick fights (Celeste for example undeads your whole party and then heals you to death). Right now my Fire pool and characters are pretty solid, but fighting Colossus Omega is not something I'm looking forward to.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Applied to join So Awful, same username as here.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks to the generous donations of the 101 daily rupie draw, So Awful's Grandcypher is now level 2! Which means our bonus rises to +3%!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Valatar posted:

Broadly speaking, the game punishes jack of all trades. Huge amounts of overall effectiveness comes from weapons, weapon skills, and summons. So even if, for example, you have three top-tier fire characters for a party, you're still relatively gimped if you don't also have a good fire summon and fire weapons. The summon's aura alone can easily provide a 40+ percent boost to your attacks. The weapon skill on each SSR weapon you have equipped could be adding another 6+ percent. Do the math real quick and you'll see that your party's power can be tripled by the right equipment.

So the question is less 'what characters do I need?' and more 'if I get these characters, do I have the other stuff to support them, or can I acquire it easily?'

RNJesus was not overly kind to you at this point. You have a fire summon, a water attacker, and a light support. Satyr isn't so good that I'd feel inspired to build a fire team around him. Katalina is good, so going for more water probably wouldn't hurt, especially if you do the Cocytus fights to pick up his summon for free. Then you'd have a couple good water characters and a decent water summon to go with them. Sophia's great support, and none of her skills specify that they work better on light element, so she doesn't really lose usefulness if you stick her in another element's party.

SSR Catalina is Balanced apparently, not an Attacker. I could grab Yoda for a proper damage dealer to replace Lucius, make sure my main guy has a water weapon and just leave Sophia there for now. Her healing should work nice with Catalina's damage cut once things start actually doing damage.

e: I can't even find So Awful in the list after like, 30 pages of clicking through. :v:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 16, 2016

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

SSR Catalina is Balanced apparently, not an Attacker. I could grab Yoda for a proper damage dealer to replace Lucius, make sure my main guy has a water weapon and just leave Sophia there for now. Her healing should work nice with Catalina's damage cut once things start actually doing damage.

e: I can't even find So Awful in the list after like, 30 pages of clicking through. :v:

Track down MechayahikSA through his ID then click the guild on his profile.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I see ads for this game everywhere, and an English version just came out. Cool, I've downloaded, but I've never really played these kinds of gatcha games. So the mechanics are new to me.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

nftyw posted:

The general gist of how things work:

Of all of these, the ones you are going to be most capable of grinding out on a regular basis are better weapons (the weapons, in particular) and summons dropped from Tiamat/Ygg/Colossus/Leviathan/Chev/Celeste raids, with Tiamat and Yggdrasil being two of the easiest, Leviathan and Colossus being potentially the hardest and Chevelier and Celeste being unusual gimmick fights (Celeste for example undeads your whole party and then heals you to death). Right now my Fire pool and characters are pretty solid, but fighting Colossus Omega is not something I'm looking forward to.

Tia/ygg are also the more friendly ones when it comes to dropping relevant weapons since 2/4 of their weapons are worth using. Levi/col are worse off with 1/4 being useful. Celeste/Chev are weird in that 3/4 of their weapons are useful but apparently drop 70% less other magnas.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

When I go into a battle and I choose a support summon sometimes their effect text is yellow or purple. What's that about?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
That means that they have been limit broken (uncapped) to their maximum limit, which makes their passive and active skills notably better. Some summons can go to 11 and squeeze out a little extra performance, the primals like Cocytus Ifrit etc. are capable of doing this, but not every summon is. Sometimes you get extra active abilities doing so, like Apollo's +veil to his active or Carbuncles' element guard/buffs.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I applied to the guild. Is there any guide/tips on what to do with class for Gran/Djeeta? There's so many choices I am lost.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why are Omega Raids so difficult to find right now without them being killed before I've loaded in? Is it because there's no event Raids to distract people? It takes forever to spend my EP when it fills up.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Tsurupettan posted:

I applied to the guild. Is there any guide/tips on what to do with class for Gran/Djeeta? There's so many choices I am lost.

Dark fencer is the most useful for managing bosses, especially if you've got a character with a strong dmg cut. So you can stall while the dmg cut refreshes. Sidewinder is a great follow up since their max bonus increases debuff success and arrow rain 3 is a great nuke that debuffs atk.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

First time doing strike time and doing raids.

:supaburn: That was really fun! :supaburn: Have no idea what I did or what I got. I know I got a Tiamat SR weapon for dealing the finishing blow and enough stuff to get the SR Tiamat summon which I did since I needed one for the pinboard.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
When is the next good time to join the game and how much does it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tsurupettan posted:

I personally recomment Dark Fencer ASAP with a Blind set as EX skill. So much stalling and survivability on that setup it's insane.

• Locked thread