Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So there's this one parable where Jesus tells the story of a vineyard owner who needed his harvest brought in, so at sunrise he went out and hired some workers, promising them 1 shekel each for the day's labor.

At noon, the harvest wasn't coming in fast enough so the vineyard owner went out again and hired some more workers, again promising them 1 shekel each for the day's labor.

Finally, at sunset, the owner decided he needed yet more help, and went out and hired more laborers at the rate of 1 shekel each.

When the harvest was in and everyone lined up to get paid, the workers who had been there since sunrise complained that the workers hired at noon and sunset were getting paid the same amount, even though they'd only been working a few hours and the workers hired at sunrise had been there the whole day.

To which the vineyard owner replied that he was paying what they'd agreed and it was his money and his farm to do with as he pleases.

Now, I'd always interpreted the parable to be about the free market and how you should be grateful to job creators for even employing you at all, but it occurred to me in the shower the other day that the vineyard owner represents God and the shekels represent passage into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Basically the parable is saying that whether you are born into Christianity or convert to it later in life, you are all equal in the eyes of God and will receive your reward as long as you do the work you agreed to do when you signed up.

It was probably meant as a criticism of the Christians who complained that all these new converts shouldn't get as much heaven as the ones who'd been there since the beginning.

The joke is on them though since heaven isn't real and Jesus was just a man :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i like the episode where jesus is dating a black girl and he gets a spray tan before meeting her family but its too dark and it looks like he's in blackface lmao

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Recent research suggests that Jesus wasn't even a man but a myth from Roman plutocrats to placate the poor

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Doctor J Off posted:

Recent research suggests that Jesus wasn't even a man but a myth from Roman plutocrats to placate the poor

I find that highly dubious. Whatever one's personal opinion about Christ's divinity, I'm fairly certain there was, in fact, a historical figure corresponding to the Biblical Jesus.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
the parable is that only the guys who said "gently caress off for a shekel a day cocksucker" are the ones who get into heaven

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Pretty sure he's talking about getting wasted on wine with a pack of sluts.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
how do you tithe one tenth of a shekel

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

the parable is that only the guys who said "gently caress off for a shekel a day cocksucker" are the ones who get into heaven

Remember that you have to account for inflation. A 30AD shekel is work $150 in 2016 USD.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

only the mentally ill man who sits around th epublc square w his thumb in his rear end chatting w the women and children when they come for a jug of water will get into heaven (also the women and children)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fishy Joe posted:

how do you tithe one tenth of a shekel

round up to the nearest shekel.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Remember that you have to account for inflation. A 30AD shekel is work $150 in 2016 USD.

Never accept shekels as payment. It is cursed Jew money. It always returns to the owner's pocket, no matter what.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

basically if you're a business and military age man who spends more time thinking about the material world than the state of your soul, you're doomed

if you judge your neighbors, or believe yourself secure, you're doomed

if you believe the words of some prophet were made just for you, you're doomed

if you think you "get the parable," oh boy, you're so doomed

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

-13000 posts

A life well spent.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

tenspott posted:

Never accept shekels as payment. It is cursed Jew money. It always returns to the owner's pocket, no matter what.

Then how do the owners get the shekels in the first place?

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

quote:

The joke is on them though since heaven isn't real and Jesus was just a man :smug:

Heaven is real and it's in my pants

who wants to atone?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
It means Jesus was a liberal piece of poo poo as far as his economic policies go.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Both the parable of the vineyard and the parable of the prodigal son feature a
a higher power selecting certain individuals to be rewarded despite not having worked as much as others, and the people that feel slighted being totally wrong because gently caress you the higher power said so. Coincidentally, Jesus told these parables while trying to convince people that even though he had spent his life up until that point as a carpenter he should actually be considered a king, because god said so.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the parable of the prodigal son is probably the trickiest of all the parables, and should not be treated lightly, or without a radiation suit

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the multiple inversions present within the prodigal son as it unfolds are like a labyrinth to navigate

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Getting into heaven as a christian is such bs. It's like the dmv, why did you idiots make this simple process hard and filled with a billion rules.

My soul is gonna be weighed with a feather when I die. If it is lighter than or equal to the feather I get in. Failing means utter dissolution but I've been assured the feather is rigged and you have to be a real rear end in a top hat to get forever-nuked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TEAH SYAG posted:

It means Jesus was a liberal piece of poo poo as far as his economic policies go.

Jesus Christ, soft on crime. Would you vote for this man?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
soooooo a life of sin followed by deathbed repentance and conversion?

woooooo partyyyyy

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nathilus posted:

Getting into heaven as a christian is such bs. It's like the dmv, why did you idiots make this simple process hard and filled with a billion rules.

My soul is gonna be weighed with a feather when I die. If it is lighter than or equal to the feather I get in. Failing means utter dissolution but I've been assured the feather is rigged and you have to be a real rear end in a top hat to get forever-nuked.

Considering sin is a concept and concepts have no weight, I'd say it's probably pretty easy for them to be outweighed by a feather :smug:

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Applewhite posted:

Then how do the owners get the shekels in the first place?

They're on credit with a pound of flesh as collateral iirc

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The vineyard owner should have just sucked their dicks.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Moon Atari posted:

Both the parable of the vineyard and the parable of the prodigal son feature a
a higher power selecting certain individuals to be rewarded despite not having worked as much as others, and the people that feel slighted being totally wrong because gently caress you the higher power said so. Coincidentally, Jesus told these parables while trying to convince people that even though he had spent his life up until that point as a carpenter he should actually be considered a king, because god said so.

Ummm actually they got "rewarded" only after confessing that they led a sinful life :smug:.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

consider this, there is no such thing as an aristotelian prime mover God that is not gay, because in God are all concepts, including "gay"

lol

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

that one where jesus witnesses a hit and run and goes to confront the perpetrator but doesn't do poo poo cause it turns out its a hot lady gahaha

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Monkey Fracas posted:

soooooo a life of sin followed by deathbed repentance and conversion?

woooooo partyyyyy

Nah you might stroke out or catch a bullet. It's like doing your taxes, you're better off accepting Jesus once early on.

back in middle school is when I let Jesus get it in so I'm good no matter what I do, this isn't Catholicism lol

Toadvine fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 14, 2016

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

that one where jesus witnesses a hit and run and goes to confront the perpetrator but doesn't do poo poo cause it turns out its a hot lady gahaha

that was you tho? you told me a couple days after it happened, i asked if you got her number and you said you thought so but it turned out to be a fake number

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

nomadologique posted:

that was you tho? you told me a couple days after it happened, i asked if you got her number and you said you thought so but it turned out to be a fake number

i only did it b/c i saw it in the bible

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

i like the secret part of the bible where jesus realizes how much fun sin is and then fucks off to vegas

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Imagine me nodding a lot at the whole post OP because you are correct

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

If I worked for that guy I'd tell him to shekel my drat balls

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

okay okay so what if hitler repented at the end, you'd be okay with that

welcome to the liberal party :smuggo:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i like the episode where jesus is dating a black girl and he gets a spray tan before meeting her family but its too dark and it looks like he's in blackface lmao

that was an awesome episode of Jesus: The Animated Series, season 6

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
if Jesus was so great how come nobody remembers him?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
They should've robbed him. A bag of shekels probably makes a hell of a noise. Plus, ever see old coins in a museum? They're all nonuniform and jagged, like, you could rob somebody with a piece of money.

Who cares, though? The parable is a red herring. Jesus probably didn't even know what money was because people in the mideast had to wait for Antiochus to come down there and start printing his face on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

phasmid posted:

They should've robbed him. A bag of shekels probably makes a hell of a noise. Plus, ever see old coins in a museum? They're all nonuniform and jagged, like, you could rob somebody with a piece of money.

Who cares, though? The parable is a red herring. Jesus probably didn't even know what money was because people in the mideast had to wait for Antiochus to come down there and start printing his face on everything.

He definitely knew what money was because he kicked all the money changers out of the temple.

• Locked thread