Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
as a gigantic loser who watches esports on Twitch, i tuned in one day to see a new game being played at a live competition, a mobile DOTA

all the players were sitting there at their live competition on phones and tablets

here are some awesome images of the inevitability of death

the future is my jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

e-mail is better than normal mail, so e-sports are better than normal sports.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

that's just sad

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I wanna punch the face of that dweeb in the middle so bad. You know he deserves it too.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Trump 2016, lets end this mother fucker in the kiln of nuclear wonder!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
During the first Heroes of the Dorm (College Heroes of the Storm), which was televised on ESPN2, one of the announcers said, and this is a real quote, "THAT'S THE KIND OF DRAGON YOU'D SEE ON THE COVER OF SPORTS ILLUSTRATED"

not making this up

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

JakeP posted:

During the first Heroes of the Dorm (College Heroes of the Storm), which was televised on ESPN2, one of the announcers said, and this is a real quote, "THAT'S THE KIND OF DRAGON YOU'D SEE ON THE COVER OF SPORTS ILLUSTRATED"

not making this up

lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Seriuos Business Executives think this is where the smart money is at. for real -

http://espn.go.com/esports/

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome Welles posted:

that's just sad

whys that tasty cake smilie in your signature not Kandy Kakes :(

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

thathonkey posted:

Seriuos Business Executives think this is where the smart money is at. for real -

they're right. the money is filthy and growing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

Sports are illogical. People only like them because the media tells them to. If the media tells them to like esports then those will become popular as well.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
oh i dont doubt that it will be profitable for them i just think it's interesting (also gently caress this gay earth)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I hate esports because my baby brother (24, living with my parents, unemployed) drags them up whenever I point out to him that playing videogames eighteen hours a day is a waste of time.

No he does not belong to an esports league or participate in any competitions that could lead to him being scouted by one.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I noticed that someone on my facebook lists their occupation as e-sports coach at a college, which is somehow a thing.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i think esports are fine as long as all the players are hella ripped

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

i think esports are fine as long as all the players are hella ripped on adderall and otc stimulants

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
esports will be a proper thing later on once there are VR controllers where actual gymnasts and athletes are suspended from the roof of a rubber room by a bungee cord wearing full haptic harnesses.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
got a couple-o coors light cases and looking to have some of the neighborhood over to watch dota monday night.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

OctoberBlues posted:

I noticed that someone on my facebook lists their occupation as e-sports coach at a college, which is somehow a thing.

ask what that's like and post some screenies

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

monkey posted:

esports will be a proper thing later on once there are VR controllers where actual gymnasts and athletes are suspended from the roof of a rubber room by a bungee cord wearing full haptic harnesses.

and this is better than regular sports ?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

are you guys rooting for the dorky asian kids or the dorky white kids

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

tbh the absolute historical apex of "sport" as concept and human activity was American Gladiators

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I do not like when ESPN shows e-sports, it makes me angry.

Like, Kotaku doesnt post a bunch of articles about football and baseball and poo poo. Keep your faggy dota playing to twitch or whatever I'd rather watch drat poker than this poo poo lol

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Could OP post a picture of his face before I come to any conclusion about what's funny?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol once VR gets big and they start constructing arenas to play virtual reality call of duty in, everybody will get ripped as gently caress and thus all the nerds will be put rightfully back in their place. dont worry nugs, all will be well

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lets see that mouse click again in slow motion

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

here's me driving my chevy s10 circa 1987

no photos have been taken of me since, sorry :/

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nooner posted:

Like, Kotaku doesnt post a bunch of articles about football and baseball and poo poo. Keep your faggy dota playing to twitch or whatever I'd rather watch drat poker than this poo poo lol

my man.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

nomadologique posted:

and this is better than regular sports ?

yeah, you wont watch the people in the room, you'll see them flying around harry potter land playing quiddich or on jet powered flying surfboards lobbing nukes at each other or doing whatever dumb poo poo is the thing of the week 15 years from now.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
all the stupid pageantry of actual sports but replace the dumb jocks with dumb nerds

i dont see how this didnt take off sooner

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I guess esports are funny.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
they had a highlight of this on loving sportscenter of all places (is nothing sacred anymore) and I think the funniest part is they dont even use their real names, they all get introduced as their username loving lol. Can you imagine?

Like, Kobe walks into a club and everyone is like OOOOH poo poo ITS KOBE BRYANT WHOAA!!

one of these guys walks into a comic book store and everyone is like OOOOH SHIIIT ITS XxX~DeMoN_AnGeL~XxX !!!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nooner posted:

they had a highlight of this on loving sportscenter of all places (is nothing sacred anymore) and I think the funniest part is they dont even use their real names, they all get introduced as their username loving lol. Can you imagine?

Like, Kobe walks into a club and everyone is like OOOOH poo poo ITS KOBE BRYANT WHOAA!!

one of these guys walks into a comic book store and everyone is like OOOOH SHIIIT ITS XxX~DeMoN_AnGeL~XxX !!!

I really respect kokg0bbl3rYoloswag's decision to play the long game here, a really measured move that shows that experience and maturity can take the upper hand in this match.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Nooner posted:

ya this is one of my favorite parts of esports, even the casters all use fake names. everybody gets to be WHO THEY TRULY ARE.

sadly the organizations seem to nix names like cocksucker5000, so it's Flame and twistybox and jjelestar forevermore :(

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
awaiting chainsaw drone racing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Viwwetf0gU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Applewhite posted:

I hate esports because my baby brother (24, living with my parents, unemployed) drags them up whenever I point out to him that playing videogames eighteen hours a day is a waste of time.

No he does not belong to an esports league or participate in any competitions that could lead to him being scouted by one.

his defense is both sad and funny, why cant people just admit they like video games without pretending it's a profitable business?

also watching dota is actually fun, but stop putting the nerd casters in suits and new glasses like it makes it a sport

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

this is your cool ranch dorito headshot of the week

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

extra stout posted:

his defense is both sad and funny, why cant people just admit they like video games without pretending it's a profitable business?

also watching dota is actually fun, but stop putting the nerd casters in suits and new glasses like it makes it a sport

lol drat they have nerd casters? I might actually be interested in watching it if like they had Mike Tirico and John Gruden announcing just confused as gently caress but trying their hardest

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Nooner posted:

lol drat they have nerd casters? I might actually be interested in watching it if like they had Mike Tirico and John Gruden announcing just confused as gently caress but trying their hardest

i tried switching to a cs go tournament once and the game was pretty fun to watch but it would go to a panel of 4 guys, 3 of them literally clones of the same 30 year old fat guy in a suit with black rectangle glasses

the twitch chat was spamming too fast for my insults to ever be noticed and i am still furious i wasnt able to mock these idiot grown men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I know a (fat) guy who is near-constantly "coaching" a LoL team for $200 a month as his only source of income

His live-in girlfriend works two jobs and goes to college lmao

• Locked thread