Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

ArbitraryC posted:

Worlds (league of legends international finals) had more viewers than a lot of major sports broadcast last year, it's actually a surprisingly popular thing nowadays and this mostly just comes across as out of touch old man yelling at clouds kinda thing.

getting lots of viewers doesn't make it a sport, like the finale of a sitcom may get huge ratings but it is still not a sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ArbitraryC posted:

Worlds (league of legends international finals) had more viewers than a lot of major sports broadcast last year, it's actually a surprisingly popular thing nowadays and this mostly just comes across as out of touch old man yelling at clouds kinda thing.

:rolleyes:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
is chess a sport?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i hope esports get really popular so there's less fit sexy people to compete with at nightclubs

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

hemale in pain posted:

i hope esports get really popular so there's less fit sexy people to compete with.

can you imagine what the tom brady of the esports world will look like lol

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmdo that there are losers in here who are seriously trying to say the playing video games is on par with what real athletes do

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

so uh.. real question ... do you consider yourself an athlete?

Not really, just a distance runner, but for fun. I never would have considered myself, but I think eathelete is the term to use for esports. Not enough rape in esports to have real athletes.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Nooner posted:

can you imagine what the tom brady of the esports world will look like lol

its a 12 year old kid who tells people online to go gently caress themselves

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if there is no physical ability aspect it isnt a sport imo

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Not really, just a distance runner, but for fun. I never would have considered myself, but I think eathelete is the term to use for esports. Not enough rape in esports to have real athletes.

i'll freely admit i don't know enough about video games these days to even know which ones people are talking about here but I'm having a hard time believing you think the dedication and physical challenges you faced running long distance are on par with video game playing

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i also don't consider nascar a sport

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Luvcow posted:

if e-sports get the sport designation than nascar and darts sure as hell do too

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lots of lame stuff is sports like golf, table tennis, bodybuilding and snooker.

who cares if gaming technically counts too?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

hemale in pain posted:

Lots of lame stuff is sports like golf, table tennis, bodybuilding and snooker.

who cares if gaming technically counts too?

in the end you're right, it's all just opinion

:shrug:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

i'll freely admit i don't know enough about video games these days to even know which ones people are talking about here but I'm having a hard time believing you think the dedication and physical challenges you faced running long distance are on par with video game playing

You're right, running for fun s waaaaaay easier. I'm sure trying to win the Olympics is harder, but just working towards Boston qualifying numbers isn't that tough compared to SC2. And to note, I wasn't even that good.

Eathelete vs athelete, it's the physical part.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I am a competitive coloring book colorer, I want a trophy too :qq:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i deserve to have at least one ESPN columnist writing about the # of pwns in my latest counter-strike match :shrug:

"it was a tough game, the other team sure does have a lot of commendable talent but in the end my team rallied and we were able to pwn all of the n00bs ps lolgetrekt"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
What im gathering from thsi is that these professional gamers are basically "Athlete-kin" is that correct?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
League of legends is hot trash

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lotta people real defensive about the sanctity of marriage Sweaty-Men-Grapple-Balls competitions itt

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Luvcow posted:

The kids who play professionally are pretty loving insane tbh. They aren't destroying their bodies like a football player (except for the carpal tunnel lol), but I would argue that they dedicate MUCH more time to their "sport" for that very reason. If you are hopped on on adderall and stimulants, it's possible to practice a video game 10 hours a day, every single day. And some of the teams, especially from Asia, do just that. I seriously doubt the games are even fun in the slightest for them.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

What im gathering from thsi is that these professional gamers are basically "Athlete-kin" is that correct?

Yup. Designated by an e.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Luvcow posted:

i think a good def of sport is : A physical competition in which the participants demonstrate an ability to perform feats the untrained person cannot do, which is objectively scored.

Football - Sport
Running - Sport
Figure skating - not a sport, subjectively judged.
Nascar - Sadly a sport, most people cannot do what a NASCAR driver does and it is physically demanding to what they do.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

You're right, running for fun s waaaaaay easier. I'm sure trying to win the Olympics is harder, but just working towards Boston qualifying numbers isn't that tough compared to SC2. And to note, I wasn't even that good.

Eathelete vs athelete, it's the physical part.

Competitive eating is a fun spectator sport.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
being hopped up on stimulants playing videogames 10 hours a day is also not great for you but in different ways than getting steamrolled every game and all practice long playing runningback :shrug: especially since you can do the former for a lot longer before your body says "enough is enough"

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
The agar.io invitational is gonna be huge.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pawn 17 posted:

The kids who play professionally are pretty loving insane tbh. They aren't destroying their bodies like a football player (except for the carpal tunnel lol), but I would argue that they dedicate MUCH more time to their "sport" for that very reason. If you are hopped on on adderall and stimulants, it's possible to practice a video game 10 hours a day, every single day. And some of the teams, especially from Asia, do just that. I seriously doubt the games are even fun in the slightest for them.

16+ hours if you cheat with adderall. 10-12 is low end. Asian teams usually run or play soccer, as physical activity stimulates your brain.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

how me a frog posted:

The agar.io invitational is gonna be huge.

i thought this was a joke but i looked it up and wow... competitive agar.io is loving weird

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

thathonkey posted:

i thought this was a joke but i looked it up and wow... competitive agar.io is loving weird

What?

edit: Well how about that!

Aug 4, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Nascar - Sadly a sport, most people cannot do what a NASCAR driver does and it is physically demanding to what they do.

most people can turn both left and right when driving a car

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Agar.io

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

wha tthe gently caress is this lol

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Uhh, most esport live events aren't free? Have you seen pictures of a real event?

oh if you mean in person then you're gonna need to post your sc2 name because it sounds like you are relatively pro and famous if this is true, good job goon you made it

ArbitraryC posted:

are you really going to pretend that both riot games and the chinese company that bought them out arent huge pieces of poo poo who have been proven to inflate all of these numbers massively with 'viewbots'?

extra stout fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 14, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ROFLburger posted:

All MOBAS are hot trash

FTFY

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The rise of esports made multiplayer games much less chill. Like if you go play football or softball at the park you might get one guy who thinks he's Tom! loving! Brady! and goes maximum tryhard while everyone else just kind of rolls theirs eyes and makes fun of them but in a public 16 person game of CTF or FFA you always have at least 7 or 8 FATAL1TY!s in the room who think they are on the main stage at Dreamhack or some poo poo.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Okay that's actually true

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

oh if you mean in person then you're gonna need to post your sc2 name because it sounds like you are relatively pro and famous if this is true, good job goon you made it

Sorry, not me. We do have a few big ones though
I feel like I failed in this thread though, it's supposed to be making fun, and the OP pics are hilariois.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I'd be an esports man, but I need 200 euromoneys to buy a mouse that will make me play better.

link to indiegogo goes here

also my graphics box has the wrong kind of ram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Luvcow posted:

getting lots of viewers doesn't make it a sport, like the finale of a sitcom may get huge ratings but it is still not a sport.

I mean at the end of the day sports are just children's games people spend an inordinate amount of time getting really good at and other people enjoy watching. Obviously I would agree something that involves physical activity is a better/more fulfilling life pursuit but the ship has sailed on being really upset about e-sports and it just kind of makes the people ranting about it look out of touch. You straight up get the same kind of visa international soccer teams or whatever get when going to different countries to play, our own government recognizes these people as athletes. Colleges are having teams and giving scholarships for it. Welcome to 2016 e-sports are a thing.

• Locked thread