Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
*realtalk switch on* The big problem with eSports is the fact that games are designed to be viewed by the player. So when broadcasting it you get a small view either in first person or focused on one player/team that's difficult to follow. To really make it work it would have to be spectator oriented, with a separate "spectator mode" being rendered to show the audience, as well as designing the game so all the action is confined to an area the audience can see on the screen at once. Admittedly I haven't really watched any eSports so maybe there are some games that pull this off and I just don't know about it.

That and they need to find some more marketable people playing it cause these extremeo shutin autism cases they have now are not going to get it done.

*realtalk switch off* haha esports r gay an dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
"John it looks like the skinny dweeby one picked up some sort of laser gun what can you tell me about that?"

"Well Mike, um, when he shoots it at the blue guys they get all glowy and you know what that means, I mean there is nothing you want to see on the field more than a glowy blue guy this is some REAL Halo we are seeign out here today"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
MOBA esports are poo poo.

Counterstrike/RTS ones are watchable.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
If people were still playing games that aren't poo poo like quake 3 I'd be down with esports. dota and counterstrike are loving dumb. :corsair:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I've heard some schools are even starting E-Sports as part of their actual sports programs which is hilarious to me when I think about recruitment.

Like basketball coach at Louisville got busted for bringing potential recruits to parties full of strippers and poo poo, but i feel like that would scare these guys away, what does the e-sport coach use to convince recruits to come to their school?

"And THIS is just an average day of how we get down at Cal" *opens door revealing room packed wall to wall with animes, my little pony plushies, and waifu body pillows*

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i hope they can one day figure out how to exploit college kids who play videogames esports as badly as they do football and basketball players etc

seems really ripe for the picking

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

happyhippy posted:

MOBA esports are poo poo.

Counterstrike/RTS ones are watchable.

And yet MOBA viewership absolutely dwarfs everything else.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 14, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

thathonkey posted:

i hope they can one day figure out how to exploit college kids who play videogames esports as badly as they do football and basketball players etc

seems really ripe for the picking

poor fucker was on a full ride scholarship until he got advanced carpal tunnel, now he has to drop out

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
https://www.twitch.tv/onlinedancingman esports guys

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i havea friend who is super into this poo poo and he gets super pissy when i make fun of these loving losers

if you play video games and you're over the age of 12 then you should just kill yourself, video games are for children

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Do it ironically posted:

i havea friend who is super into this poo poo and he gets super pissy when i make fun of these loving losers

if you play video games and you're over the age of 12 then you should just kill yourself, video games are for children

vibeo games are fun but I consider them to be on the "athleticism" level of like, monopoly or guess who. Its a game not a sport lol

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
"this is my son Clancy, he just got a full scholarship to UNC because he's a top ranked super mario brothers player. I'm in no way proud of this and I can't find a word that can fully describe my complete and utter shame in both our society and my fat loving loser kid..."

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I was at the gas station and on the TV they had ESPN3 on and they were showing this "Heroes of the Dorm" stuff. I suppose there's nothing really wrong with it and the whole thing seemed.... nice? ... in a way that real live sports doesn't, like people were really there to have fun more than anything. (One of the, uh, nerdcasters was pretty cute, too.)

But man I just cannot psychologically accept elevating vidoegames to this level of pagentry, as another person put it.

Probably the most damning thing about it is that it actually makes live sports look dumber by extension. Like, is throwing a ball around really that much more respectable? Makes me think even less of folks who really take it seriously. The whole thing made me really want to get out and do something productive.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's fun and you're all just mad you're too old to be an exports player and never got paid to play a game.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Nooner posted:

vibeo games are fun but I consider them to be on the "athleticism" level of like, monopoly or guess who. Its a game not a sport lol

Playing Monopoly and Guess Who are games that you play with your friends. Playing them online is when they become professional esports.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It's fun and you're all just mad you're too old to be an exports player and never got paid to play a game.

i'm sure its fun and hey whatever floats your boat, just don't fool yourself and call it a sport

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
who wants to become amateur athletes???? http://www.pogo.com/games/monopoly

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
every morning i get up early, before the sun rises, and put on my sweat pants and workout gear and then try to get in at least three games of monopoly, it's dedication like this that makes me feel like lebron james or tom brady

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
tfw you get killed in an esports match, its worse than getting hit by several 300lb men and feeling your femur snap or taking a hockey puck to the face, trust me...

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Randumb Thots posted:

*realtalk switch on* The big problem with eSports is the fact that games are designed to be viewed by the player. So when broadcasting it you get a small view either in first person or focused on one player/team that's difficult to follow. To really make it work it would have to be spectator oriented, with a separate "spectator mode" being rendered to show the audience, as well as designing the game so all the action is confined to an area the audience can see on the screen at once. Admittedly I haven't really watched any eSports so maybe there are some games that pull this off and I just don't know about it.

That and they need to find some more marketable people playing it cause these extremeo shutin autism cases they have now are not going to get it done.

There are plenty of games that do this. DOTA2 matches for instance can be watched right in the game client and you can chose to either watch a view controlled by the broadcasting team or you can just zoom around on your own and watch what you want, while listening (or not). It's a huge step up from watching on Twitch or whatever, unless you REALLY love to spam memes in Twitch chat.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Luvcow posted:

tfw you get killed in an esports match, its worse than getting hit by several 300lb men and feeling your femur snap or taking a hockey puck to the face, trust me...

look, you get your helmet ripped off by some giant of a man in a football game you just have to sit out a play. You die in DOTA and you have to wait two loving minutes before you respawn. Do you understand what that is like?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

i'm sure its fun and hey whatever floats your boat, just don't fool yourself and call it a sport

Honestly, I made more money playing starcraft and had more people watch me play then my brother ever did at playing arena football. It doesn't take the physical side, thus it's an esport.

And watching poo poo takes no effort whether it's an esport or the nfl.

I think lizard called it though, it makes regular sports appear as dumb as they actually are, and most goons hate all sports because they are in fact dumb, but fun.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 14, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Do it ironically posted:

Now that you say this, I don't think I'd have any problem with esports if they were broadcast on Nickelodeon instead of ESPN. Especially since 'Heroes of the Dorm' or whatever game has pretty cartoony graphics and the players themselves looked really young for apparently college-aged students.

It also comes down to videogames being an overt form of pretending or make-believe, like playing cops-and-robbers with visuals. Even with strict rules and teamwork, I'd put it closer to hide-and-seek or tag than sports.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Honestly, I made more money playing starcraft and had more people watch me play then my brother ever did at playing arena football. It doesn't take the physical side, thus it's an esport.

I think lizard called it though, it makes regular sports appear as dumb as they actually are, and most goons hate all sports because they are in fact dumb.

no problem with that, if there's a market and an interest than do it, must be nice to make money that way. I guess we just have vastly different opinions of what is and isn't a sport.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I think lizard called it though, it makes regular sports appear as dumb as they actually are, and most goons hate all sports because they are in fact dumb.

lmao yeah dude its arena football, they make like the same amount as an entry level IT position.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

who wants to become amateur athletes???? http://www.pogo.com/games/monopoly

It's war, they're out there to kill you, so I'm out there to kill them. We don't care about anybody but Rich Uncle Pennybags. They're going after my tophat. I'm going to come right back at them. I'm a loving soldier.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

no problem with that, if there's a market and an interest than do it, must be nice to make money that way. I guess we just have vastly different opinions of what is and isn't a sport.

I guess too, I play video games now, it in no way reflected how I approached starcraft. I'd guess poo poo like Dota is the same. The amount of effort is absurd, practice, coaching, etc. And I just won $, there are people here that are salaried, that effort and intensity is so much more.

Strategy, replays, studying your opponents, practice, dedication, teamwork, I agree it's not physical, thus the esport vs sport, but there's clear crossovers.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Chomp8645 posted:

And yet MOBA viewership absolutely dwarfs everything else.

So it turns out there are a lot of insufferable sperglord idiots on the internet? Holy poo poo why didn't someone tell me about this?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I guess too, I play video games now, it in no way reflected how I approached starcraft. I'd guess poo poo like Dota is the same. The amount of effort is absurd, practice, coaching, etc. And I just won $, there are people here that are salaried, that effort and intensity is so much more.

Strategy, replays, studying your opponents, practice, dedication, teamwork, I agree it's not physical, thus the esport vs sport, but there's clear crossovers.

lol

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

OctoberBlues posted:

It's war, they're out there to kill you, so I'm out there to kill them. We don't care about anybody but Rich Uncle Pennybags. They're going after my tophat. I'm going to come right back at them. I'm a loving soldier.

Easy there, Caro. You don't want to end up in jail for four years.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Hmm sorry but if all that practice, dedication, and teamwork aren't oriented towards winning the "grunting men fight over a ball" competition I'm afraid it's just not a real sport!!!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

did you consider that people actually have to drive to, attend and maybe pay to see his games where yours is free internet tv for people with unlimited time

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

so uh.. real question ... do you consider yourself an athlete?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Chomp8645 posted:

Hmm sorry but if all that practice, dedication, and teamwork aren't oriented towards winning the "grunting men fight over a ball" competition I'm afraid it's just not a real sport!!!

show me on the doll where the football players touched you in high school

:ohdear:

Woden
May 6, 2006

Randumb Thots posted:

I just watch fightmans for this reason. Weirdly though footballs(all codes) is massively popular and it only shows a close up of the dude with the ball 95% of the time, so you have no idea why the offence goes with certain plays/moves over others there either.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Nooner posted:

I've heard some schools are even starting E-Sports as part of their actual sports programs which is hilarious to me when I think about recruitment.

Like basketball coach at Louisville got busted for bringing potential recruits to parties full of strippers and poo poo, but i feel like that would scare these guys away, what does the e-sport coach use to convince recruits to come to their school?

"And THIS is just an average day of how we get down at Cal" *opens door revealing room packed wall to wall with animes, my little pony plushies, and waifu body pillows*

Worlds (league of legends international finals) had more viewers than a lot of major sports broadcast last year, it's actually a surprisingly popular thing nowadays and this mostly just comes across as out of touch old man yelling at clouds kinda thing.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
im into l-sports now

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

lizardman posted:

Probably the most damning thing about it is that it actually makes live sports look dumber by extension. Like, is throwing a ball around really that much more respectable? Makes me think even less of folks who really take it seriously. The whole thing made me really want to get out and do something productive.

Yeah exactly.

I just watched a team of grown men I have never met, play a game that I never play, and WE won!!! The fans are part of the team you see and when they win, we win as well! What a personal accomplishment for me. Now that I'm good and drunk it's time to go beat up some people who prefer to watch a different group of grown men play the game. Or maybe just start a riot and tear the city apart! Cityname Sportsteam for life bitches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

did you consider that people actually have to drive to, attend and maybe pay to see his games where yours is free internet tv for people with unlimited time

Uhh, most esport live events aren't free? Have you seen pictures of a real event?

• Locked thread