Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
During the first Heroes of the Dorm (College Heroes of the Storm), which was televised on ESPN2, one of the announcers said, and this is a real quote, "THAT'S THE KIND OF DRAGON YOU'D SEE ON THE COVER OF SPORTS ILLUSTRATED"

not making this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome Welles posted:

that's just sad

whys that tasty cake smilie in your signature not Kandy Kakes :(

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I am a fan of both sports and esports. Esports are fine but they are not sports. I don't know why anyone gets butthurt when someone says that. Not every competition is a sport. Something doesn't have to be a sport to be good.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

The 79.7k live viewer figure also bears mention.

Because its so small relative to real sports right?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fishy Joe posted:

has there ever been a black pro moba or hearthstone guy yet? we need the jackie robinson of esports to step up

There has been a lot in pro fighting games.

Bobby Hank Hill is a black pro Moba player, but i don't know if hes on a team right now

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

exethan posted:

retarded nicknames

except when the players retarded nickname is just their real name, like MichaelUdall in Heroes of the Storm

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Mange Mite posted:

Ask anyone on the street whether they think table tennis is a sport. The ioc is crooked as hell

Have you ever seen high level table tennis? They move a bunch, and are constantly hitting a ball. Thats a sport in my book

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Do you follow high level table tennis?

No of course not. I don't follow Cricket, Water Polo, or Handball either, they are still sports

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Varg posted:

no lie I took a class in college called "Philosophy of Sport" with a book written by the professor teaching the class. We spent a lot of time arguing about what makes something a sport or a game and it seems there is really never a clear distinction between them. Most people believed that video games were not sports but it's actually a difficult argument to make in fact

that was the only philosophy class I ever took, it was a solid choice

I mean that class was confusing because it was based on your dumbass teachers book that he wrote. If you just go by the actual definition of the word sport:

sport
spôrt/Submit
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Clearly playing video games are not sports, as they do not involve any physical exertion, its not unclear in any way

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

from the same definition you pulled that from the very next line is:
synonyms: (competitive) game(s)

The definition of Synonym:

syn·o·nym
ˈsinəˌnim/Submit
noun
a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language, for example shut is a synonym of close.

Games are nearly the same as sports but not exactly the same

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Marta Velasquez posted:

Once people start pasting dictionary definitions as arguments, I believe the thread is required to be moved to D&D by forums law. Mods?

My point in posting it was mostly to contest the guy who said his college professor wrote a book that was used to teach a class that made it seem not cut and dry, but when you look at what words actually mean, it is very cut and dry

edit: but i guess when I am talking about contesting someone elses point, i just prove yours

Sory mods

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Any more videos of esports players doing humiliating things with no self-awareness?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah hence why they call them esports instead of sports. There is an important distinction but they are comparable enough that one term is derived from the other.

ya i agree, apparently some people think esports = sports though or something

Like imagine a gameshow called esport or sport where they show videos of a person participating in a sport or playing a video game, and all you need to do to win is guess correctly whether it is a sport or a esport. I think everyone would win, even people who can't seem to understand the difference between the two

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

pisshead posted:

So are gymnastics, synchronised swimming, horse dancing and shooting.

are you trying to imply gymnastics are not a sport?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

uno.mannschaft posted:

Trigger warnig: serious post!
Inspired by this thread I just watched a documentary on Netflix on "esports" and iem which is apparently one of the promotors of "esports". While the documentary was quite lovely in itself basically being a promotion video for iem some things are less cloudy now that I know what "esports"actually is. The players seem to be professional in their approach to the competitions and there seems to be real pressure on them to perform much like in traditional sports. How much this has to do with the fact that the alternative to being a professional "esports " player is to move back to their parents basement I don't know. The producer of the events seem to be really enthusiastic about what he does so maybe he can be the guy who catapults this into mainstream acceptance. Some problems I found with the "esports " showed in the movie are: everything around the actual contest is focused on adolescent boys. No one over 25 with a real life would be interested in having anything to do with it. The game they play is LoL and I don't see how anyone not playing the game themselves could possibly be interested in watching that, but Korea may be an exception to this. If no one figures out a game that is easy to understand no one will care about this.

Tldr: grandpa doesn't get what kids are up to these days

Additionaly on this point, sports like Baseball have existed for over 100 years. How long do you think League of Legends lasts? Its a video game, its not going to stand the tests of time.

• Locked thread