Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's fun and you're all just mad you're too old to be an exports player and never got paid to play a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

i'm sure its fun and hey whatever floats your boat, just don't fool yourself and call it a sport

Honestly, I made more money playing starcraft and had more people watch me play then my brother ever did at playing arena football. It doesn't take the physical side, thus it's an esport.

And watching poo poo takes no effort whether it's an esport or the nfl.

I think lizard called it though, it makes regular sports appear as dumb as they actually are, and most goons hate all sports because they are in fact dumb, but fun.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 14, 2016

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

no problem with that, if there's a market and an interest than do it, must be nice to make money that way. I guess we just have vastly different opinions of what is and isn't a sport.

I guess too, I play video games now, it in no way reflected how I approached starcraft. I'd guess poo poo like Dota is the same. The amount of effort is absurd, practice, coaching, etc. And I just won $, there are people here that are salaried, that effort and intensity is so much more.

Strategy, replays, studying your opponents, practice, dedication, teamwork, I agree it's not physical, thus the esport vs sport, but there's clear crossovers.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

did you consider that people actually have to drive to, attend and maybe pay to see his games where yours is free internet tv for people with unlimited time

Uhh, most esport live events aren't free? Have you seen pictures of a real event?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

so uh.. real question ... do you consider yourself an athlete?

Not really, just a distance runner, but for fun. I never would have considered myself, but I think eathelete is the term to use for esports. Not enough rape in esports to have real athletes.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Luvcow posted:

i'll freely admit i don't know enough about video games these days to even know which ones people are talking about here but I'm having a hard time believing you think the dedication and physical challenges you faced running long distance are on par with video game playing

You're right, running for fun s waaaaaay easier. I'm sure trying to win the Olympics is harder, but just working towards Boston qualifying numbers isn't that tough compared to SC2. And to note, I wasn't even that good.

Eathelete vs athelete, it's the physical part.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

What im gathering from thsi is that these professional gamers are basically "Athlete-kin" is that correct?

Yup. Designated by an e.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pawn 17 posted:

The kids who play professionally are pretty loving insane tbh. They aren't destroying their bodies like a football player (except for the carpal tunnel lol), but I would argue that they dedicate MUCH more time to their "sport" for that very reason. If you are hopped on on adderall and stimulants, it's possible to practice a video game 10 hours a day, every single day. And some of the teams, especially from Asia, do just that. I seriously doubt the games are even fun in the slightest for them.

16+ hours if you cheat with adderall. 10-12 is low end. Asian teams usually run or play soccer, as physical activity stimulates your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

oh if you mean in person then you're gonna need to post your sc2 name because it sounds like you are relatively pro and famous if this is true, good job goon you made it

Sorry, not me. We do have a few big ones though
I feel like I failed in this thread though, it's supposed to be making fun, and the OP pics are hilariois.

• Locked thread