Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Good flick and good plan but tomorrow is a work day and decent folks have to be up in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Found a cool article about John Carpenter making music http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/27215/1/the-story-behind-the-soundtrack-for-escape-from-new-york

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
... The name's Plissken.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Good call OP. I am going to watch 'They Live' since I saw both escape from New York and Big Trouble in little China recently.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just finished escape from New York and gonna watch They Live now.

I really wish Kurt Russell was in They Live

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Roddy Piper is Kurt Russell in John Carpenter's They Live.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Apparently my friend hasn't seen the Thing so in light of this I'm switching gears to that

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I just finished escape from New York and gonna watch They Live now.

I really wish Kurt Russell was in They Live

Kurt Russell should be in every movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The scene where Snake walks by a woman getting raped and doesn't give a poo poo is fuckin badass

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

John Carpenter pre-2000 was flawless. Hell, I'll even go to bat for Vampires and Ghosts of Mars. They're bonkers in a way only a John Carpenter movie can be. And he always attracts an excellent cast.

Good move, op.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Running Man and Robocop are also good choices

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i completed watching They Live and i was very entertained OP.

i saw it at The Alamo Drafthouse and watched it in 35mm

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ghost of Mars is a loving great movie and I unironically love it.

Big Daddy Mars and the solar system is a matriarchy and heterosexuals are a discriminated against minority.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ruddiger posted:

John Carpenter pre-2000 was flawless. Hell, I'll even go to bat for Vampires and Ghosts of Mars. They're bonkers in a way only a John Carpenter movie can be. And he always attracts an excellent cast.

Good move, op.

Say padre, when I was kicking your rear end back there...you get wood?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Toilet Mouth posted:

The scene where Snake walks by a woman getting raped and doesn't give a poo poo is fuckin badass

is Snake a misogynist?

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
for more Kurt Russell goodness, check out Bone Tomahawk.

Baxter fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 15, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Escape from New York is a drat good movie, OP

good choice for a movie night

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

I'm gay

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Baxter posted:

for more Kurt Russell goodness, check out Bone Tomahawk.

I almost was gonna watch tombstone originally tonight, causr I'm super gay for Kurt Russell, then considered the masterpiece escape from New York

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I very much approve of Escape from New York.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Who's A #1?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Watched Escape from New York and The Thing tonight. Started They Live again, likely will finish it tomorrow.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Escape from NEW YORK had a good sound and a few good scenes but overall it's extremely slow and plodding

The Thing loving owns, even though I think some of the practical effects look really dated they're still gross

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if you think EFNY is too slow maybe would enjoy the films of Michael Bay instead

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No, I really dislike Michael Bays library of movies, but thanks for the recommendation friend

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watched Escape from New York and The Thing tonight. Started They Live again, likely will finish it tomorrow.

Finish it now you loving pussy.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ruddiger posted:

The People Under The Stairs was one of my favorite movies when I was 12 or so, even though I didn't get that it was a scathing critique of the Reagans at that time

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/100732/20151028/john-carpenter-could-have-sued-konami-for-metal-gear-solid-similarities.htm

Metal Gear Solid wasn't sued over Escape From New York ties because Kojima's 'a nice guy'

Carpenter may be a crazy man now, but he's pretty cool.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Kurt Russell's name rhymes with "squirt muscle".

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

SpaceAceJase posted:

this changes eeverything

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal

SpaceAceJase posted:

This is the last thing Walt Disney was thinking before he died.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ruddiger posted:

Finish it now you loving pussy.

Sorry man I got too drunk watching The Thing. I got until tonight for my rental of They Live though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sorry man I got too drunk watching The Thing. I got until tonight for my rental of They Live though.

You have got to be loving kidding.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Jedit posted:

You have got to be loving kidding.

These are all movies you should own and have the ability to watch whenever you so please.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
john carpenter owns

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
EXCELLENT FLICK

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the part in the beginning where they have the digital line-rendering of NYC is amazing

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

tombstone is 90s as gently caress btw you silly billy

also loving terrible, holy poo poo, when i was a kid i liked that movie but then i watched it again a few years ago and WOWO, is it poorly made

still a little fun in parts, but man the editing and poo poo was so loving bad i could barely sit through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nomadologique posted:

the part in the beginning where they have the digital line-rendering of NYC is amazing

They shot that practical too, with little black building models outlined with painted lines to make it look like a digital overlay.

:mmmhmm:

• Locked thread