Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Doctor Schnabel posted:

wait i thought ulysses was the incomprehensible pile of garbage. is there anything this guy wrote that wasnt toilet paper??

what no lol it's pretty easy bud there's a jerk off scene and a funny cyclops scene where an irish nationalist gets all riled up about a jew and a nightclub scene where they all get drunk and rowdy and a catechism scene, it's all pretty easy to read and makes plenty of sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Cuckoo posted:

This.

I don't remember which one it was (I think Finnegan's Wake?) but Joyce also had some kind of lovely self insert proto-Mary Sue character in it.

portrait of the artist is entirely about his mary sue, and the same char (stephen dedalus) functions as the telemachus stand-in in ulysses

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

disgusting loving chin tbh

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Cuckoo posted:

I took an entire college course on this rear end in a top hat. We went over every deeper meaning possible, learned about the state of Ireland at the tine, etc. Joyce's works are still dense joyless slogs. Those letters are the only entertaining thing he ever wrote

what are you loving talking about joyless do you have no sense of humor ?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the man is a riot you goddamn sadsack turd

his hero jerks off on the beach to a cripple girl in like 1911, if you don't see what's funny about that i don't know

a big hairy malook of a man nearly swipes bloom's head off for being a jew, it's one of the funniest things i've ever read, are you made of stone?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

god that dude was into all the worst words

lol your attitude is better than these other naysayers at least you know how to send the ball back

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Can you loving imagine the aneurysms and strokes people who read the first printing of Ulysses experienced when they were still huffing dickens and melville.

melville is funny as gently caress too, he describes the butcher wearing the whale's dickskin as a priest in a cassock

ishmael tells the spanish sailors to go get a bible, he'll swear on it to the truth of everything he says

i'm giggling right now thinking about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

sometimes holding your head under water is a good and euphoric thing to do dipshit

• Locked thread