Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Schnabel posted:

wait i thought ulysses was the incomprehensible pile of garbage. is there anything this guy wrote that wasnt toilet paper??

This is the kind of poo poo you say once at a party and no one wants to talk to you afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wake is incomprehensible but it's not garbage.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

whoflungpoop posted:

you dont have to be smart to understand ulysses

but you do have to study it and gain familiarity with his references (read:entire western canon) and and treat it like almost like something to be researched before you come to see that yeah wow this really is deep and has stuff pinging on things and levels that you couldnt see at first and draws all of it together into the context of his time and ireland and then its like wow yeah dude im starting to get it there's actually a substantive and uniquely powerful beauty behind what at first might look like madness

if you dont want to :effort: it then dont cuz yeah its a lot of work if you dont really care but like anything else in the world it isnt about smarts its about getting out what you put in

whoflung you're marrying the wrong man

:h:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Schnabel posted:

okay FIRST off, it must be a pretty miserable party if it degenerates into joyce chat

Welcome to Shithead, Nebraska. We know how to parrrrrrtayyyyyyyy

raton fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 15, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Whole lot of really stupid assholes itt

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cuckoo posted:

I took an entire college course on this rear end in a top hat. We went over every deeper meaning possible, learned about the state of Ireland at the tine, etc. Joyce's works are still dense joyless slogs. Those letters are the only entertaining thing he ever wrote

The problem wasn't Joyce the problem was you took a college course taught by a literature professor on Joyce. No one knows less about books and how to read them than a critically oriented literature PhD. Apart from Doctor Schnabel.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Woah hey baby you caught that one that's great news!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This is my greenhouse, I made a woman poo poo in there for my sexual pleasure. Well, time to go up to the old writing room and crank on on one of humanity's greatest achievements. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Hm, yes I've got an encyclopedic knowledge of all of the great works of western art, literature and culture over the last two thousand years and I can speak fluent English, Italian, German, French, Latin and Greek let me use all of those to make an unintelligible mess about farts and looking at naked statues and jerking off in a latrine which will be the apex of the written word for the next century.

When I say this I say it as high praise, when you say it I'm not sure if you're saying it the right way or not.

• Locked thread