Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

TotalLossBrain posted:

The best thing [...] is how upset racist man-children get at the mention of Idris Elba[...]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Beastie posted:

I just started reading the series (had it on my Kindle for years) and the same day I was reading this thread and saw the post you are referring to was the same day I came across this line.

It's not particularly meaningful but people who are desperate for some philosophical tag line to hang their life on to will latch on to it. It's used in scene that seems drastically important but in the context of the book's message it means very little.

It's the Boondocks Saints of book quotes.

Is it the part where the kid dies? I don't care enough to dig through boxes for my copy, but now I'm curious.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Is it the part where the kid dies? I don't care enough to dig through boxes for my copy, but now I'm curious.

Yes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah. Roland is holding onto him as he dangles over a pit on a railroad bridge. The Man In Black is running away, and he either has to drop him into the pit to chase after TMiB, or save him. Roland chooses to drop him, and he utters this.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

hyperhazard posted:

Yeah, Jake yells it at Roland when he realizes Roland is going to keep chasing after the Man in Black instead of spend the time saving Jake from falling into the chasm

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kingnothing posted:

For some who hates the books so much, you sure have one hell of an opinion for a 7 book, 5000+ page story.

Sometimes you read things in high school, then realize in retrospect that they're pretty bad, man

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

thecluckmeme posted:

Sometimes you read things in high school, then realize in retrospect that they're pretty bad, man

I have a House of Leaves inspired tattoo, for example. Thankfully there's no text so no one would know unless I told them.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
In honor of the new thread title

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

fullroundaction posted:

I have a House of Leaves inspired tattoo, for example. Thankfully there's no text so no one would know unless I told them.

I would like to see this, bad or good.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

That drat Satyr posted:

I would like to see this, bad or good.

This requires too much explanation, but here it is.

Long story short, my wife booked an appointment with a "famous" artist and I figured I'd get something at the shop we were traveling a long distance to just to help justify the trip. I wanted something HoL themed, and at the time, women wearing animal cowls was popular, and I really dug the general aesthetic. So the idea I discussed with the artist was a young boy, wearing a bull cowl (referencing King Mino's son and the legend of the Minotaur), surrounded by ash leaves (Yggdrasil/the eponymous tree), and the vein patterns of the leaves were to be in a maze pattern (obvious reasons).

What he drew up had more or less nothing to do with what we discussed and I painstakingly detailed throughout several email exchanges. I still liked the outline so I was just like gently caress it whatever let's do it. That's my cool story.

The lesson here is if you don't like something then don't feel pressured to get it, it's your money.

e: I don't know where this motherfucker got the idea to add acorns from.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

fullroundaction posted:

...surrounded by ash leaves (Yggdrasil/the eponymous tree)

Looks like the artist got mixed up on what type of tree you wanted, 'cause those are oak leaves and I guess the acorns follow naturally from that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

This requires too much explanation, but here it is.

Long story short, my wife booked an appointment with a "famous" artist and I figured I'd get something at the shop we were traveling a long distance to just to help justify the trip. I wanted something HoL themed, and at the time, women wearing animal cowls was popular, and I really dug the general aesthetic. So the idea I discussed with the artist was a young boy, wearing a bull cowl (referencing King Mino's son and the legend of the Minotaur), surrounded by ash leaves (Yggdrasil/the eponymous tree), and the vein patterns of the leaves were to be in a maze pattern (obvious reasons).

What he drew up had more or less nothing to do with what we discussed and I painstakingly detailed throughout several email exchanges. I still liked the outline so I was just like gently caress it whatever let's do it. That's my cool story.

The lesson here is if you don't like something then don't feel pressured to get it, it's your money.

Haha that is the most un-HoL HoL tattoo I've seen. It's not bad though!

There are some baaaaaad ones. I'm a huge MZD fan(bet you couldn't tell) and even I cringe at most of them.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Kingnothing posted:

For some who hates the books so much, you sure have one hell of an opinion for a 7 book, 5000+ page story.

And why not? The first book is amazing, everyone was pumped as gently caress for a whole series of that. But decades passed, King abandoned his Bachman persona, and could no longer write "badass" because he wasn't a starving angry young English teacher anymore, he was a middle age husband and father who had actually faced death and didn't find it cool or badass at all (it was in fact as darkly funny and grotesque as he had always written it, he commented that the guy who ran him down in a minivan talked and behaved like one of his characters). By the last volume he had completely deconstructed and undermined everything he had built in the first half of the series, the series stopped being a fantasy saga and became an examination of what it means to be a fantasy saga writer, he even inserted himself as a character at one point

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
What is HoL and MZD again?

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

House of Leaves & its author, Mark Z Danielewski

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Scratch Monkey posted:

House of Leaves and its author Mark Z. Danielewski.

The short version of what you need to know is he writes weird books that nerds obsess over, and they look like this:

Rebel Blob posted:

Looks like the artist got mixed up on what type of tree you wanted, 'cause those are oak leaves and I guess the acorns follow naturally from that.

Yeah dude didn't even try.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like he tried enough. It's up to you to correct the design, especially if you're going back and forth over period of time. You approved it, have fun with it now. Don't see anything tasteless about it

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Nitrox posted:

Looks like he tried enough. It's up to you to correct the design, especially if you're going back and forth over period of time. You approved it, have fun with it now. Don't see anything tasteless about it

Yes that's why I posted a "moral of the story" at the end. But trust me, we went back and forth a bunch ahead of time and I was very explicit about the individual elements and why they were what they were, etc. When the outline was presented to me, it was SO far off from what I requested, and I was in a situation where revisions weren't really an option (convention), I was fine with just getting it as is since I did like the design he came up with.

But yeah it's not tasteless, and I did end up liking it. I just posted it since the topic was dumb book tattoos.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

fullroundaction posted:

The short version of what you need to know is he writes weird books that nerds obsess over, and they look like this:

That makes me angry just looking at it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stoatbringer posted:

That makes me angry just looking at it.

Yeah, my wife had a copy of HoL and when she said "Okay let's make some room on the bookshelves and take some books to Half-Price Books" that was the first thing that went into a box.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Is every page like that? I think I'd tire pretty quick with having to turn my book at right-angles with each page just to read the next paragraph.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Marenghi posted:

Is every page like that? I think I'd tire pretty quick with having to turn my book at right-angles with each page just to read the next paragraph.

Not every page, no, but some of them are like magazine inserts and some of them start getting smaller and smaller and...it's a really weird book.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.

Marenghi posted:

Most of the book is perfectly readable without turning or flipping the book, if not normal looking. Broadly, but the book is about a house that changes on the inside- as the house becomes less house-like the book starts reflecting that with the weird layouts. A lot of the really hard to read text is side stuff that you could just skip if you were inclined.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Was it HoL that also has footnotes that sometimes span multiple pages, which did make it a pain to read?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Sounds like someone wants to be David Foster Wallace's stunt double

Is the story at least good?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Scratch Monkey posted:

Sounds like someone wants to be David Foster Wallace's stunt double

Is the story at least good?

If you enjoy horror, it's worth reading once. It may have been overhyped by reviewers and some media outlets, but it's a decent horror story told in a unique way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BjornOfBorg posted:

Was it HoL that also has footnotes that sometimes span multiple pages, which did make it a pain to read?

That sounds more like Infinite Jest, which is readable because the footnotes are interesting and often hillarious.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BjornOfBorg posted:

While HoL does have a few of these, you're probably thinking of Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, as stated above. Also an amazing book, and if I had read it before HoL I'm sure it'd be my favourite fictional book.

I love all of Danielewski's stuff, but when it comes to evoking emotions, DFW is unparalleled. Danielewski comes off as super pretentious which I totally understand, but he's been doing amazing things with typography since he started writing and I really think he's going places with it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

For anyone that hasn't read House of Leaves, it looks like that because it is supposed to represent a transcription of the ramblings of a madman, originally written on anything that could be found including napkins and pieces of transparent film. Some text is literally backwards and when you turn the page it's the same text forwards. Also some footnotes have footnotes. There are also footnotes that are to be ignored(lists of hundreds of random names etc.).

It's a fun book but I haven't read any other Danielewski and don't really care to because apparently all his books have gimmicks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Calling what he's doing a gimmick is, in my opinion, seriously marginalizing what he's doing with typography in a lot of his works. Correct me if I'm wrong(which would also be cool cause it gives me more books to add to my list...) but there hasn't been any similar style prior to MZD's that has really gotten as much attention.

If you liked HoL, try The 50 Year Sword. I don't even know if it qualifies as a novella it's so short, but it's kind of a good followup to HoL, or even a good introduction to his style of writing.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm halfway through One Rainy Day in May and so far it's been pretty exhausting, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. He is a good storyteller, sometimes it just feels like he's trying wayyyy too hard. That said, there's usually a payoff for sticking it out, so I'm looking forward to see where this series goes.

Anyway to make up for my unintentional derail, here's some pics that my local shop just posted:

How does drawing hands work

How does kerning work

:stare:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
People who like House of Leaves should check out Alasdair Gray, particularly Unlikely Stories, Mostly. Gray has the advantage of being an artist as well as a writer and typography nut.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

hackbunny posted:

And why not? The first book is amazing, everyone was pumped as gently caress for a whole series of that. But decades passed, King abandoned his Bachman persona, and could no longer write "badass" because he wasn't a starving angry young English teacher anymore, he was a middle age husband and father who had actually faced death and didn't find it cool or badass at all (it was in fact as darkly funny and grotesque as he had always written it, he commented that the guy who ran him down in a minivan talked and behaved like one of his characters). By the last volume he had completely deconstructed and undermined everything he had built in the first half of the series, the series stopped being a fantasy saga and became an examination of what it means to be a fantasy saga writer, he even inserted himself as a character at one point

Ok, true, you might have a few points.

But come on! The magnificent seven recreated where they fight robots that look like Dr. DOOM who wield Lightsabres and throw explosive golden snitches from Harry Potter.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Johnny Truant posted:

If you liked HoL, try The 50 Year Sword. I don't even know if it qualifies as a novella it's so short, but it's kind of a good followup to HoL, or even a good introduction to his style of writing.

HoL is a rad read but I could never get into any of his other stuff, it's a little too, I guess, narrative based for me. I have an autographed copy of the fifty yer sword I won from a FB contest of all things(the old copies that are worth a lot, too). He also sent me a hand painted xmas card a few months later, which was super :3:. I didn't get too far into his new series, the familiar, but fwiw to those who liked HoL, it seemed to be in a similar style.

fullroundaction posted:

I'm halfway through One Rainy Day in May and so far it's been pretty exhausting, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. He is a good storyteller, sometimes it just feels like he's trying wayyyy too hard. That said, there's usually a payoff for sticking it out, so I'm looking forward to see where this series goes.

Anyway to make up for my unintentional derail, here's some pics that my local shop just posted:

How does drawing hands work

How does kerning work

:stare:

these look fine to me, at least by thread standards(except those hands, jesus christ :catstare:)

Psychobabble! has a new favorite as of 19:32 on May 8, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

If she ever gets fat it's going to look like Ariel got crushed in the boob fold.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

fullroundaction posted:

How does kerning work

it makes me parse it as the word being spelled out like p, i, z-z, a

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think that mermaid one is covering up a scar.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Heath posted:

I think that mermaid one is covering up a scar.

Breast reduction? And she got a squashed mermaid to cover the scar and as a joke about what they found underneath.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

"I need to cover an unsightly scar. How about a crushed, faceless mermaid?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxehyRH8Ec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless