Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Telemaze posted:

Bad Japanese supernatural tattoo

I know my katakana is way rusty but I think the last symbol there is unnecessary..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

This requires too much explanation, but here it is.

Long story short, my wife booked an appointment with a "famous" artist and I figured I'd get something at the shop we were traveling a long distance to just to help justify the trip. I wanted something HoL themed, and at the time, women wearing animal cowls was popular, and I really dug the general aesthetic. So the idea I discussed with the artist was a young boy, wearing a bull cowl (referencing King Mino's son and the legend of the Minotaur), surrounded by ash leaves (Yggdrasil/the eponymous tree), and the vein patterns of the leaves were to be in a maze pattern (obvious reasons).

What he drew up had more or less nothing to do with what we discussed and I painstakingly detailed throughout several email exchanges. I still liked the outline so I was just like gently caress it whatever let's do it. That's my cool story.

The lesson here is if you don't like something then don't feel pressured to get it, it's your money.

e: I don't know where this motherfucker got the idea to add acorns from.

Haha that is the most un-HoL HoL tattoo I've seen. It's not bad though!

There are some baaaaaad ones. I'm a huge MZD fan(bet you couldn't tell) and even I cringe at most of them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BjornOfBorg posted:

Was it HoL that also has footnotes that sometimes span multiple pages, which did make it a pain to read?

While HoL does have a few of these, you're probably thinking of Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, as stated above. Also an amazing book, and if I had read it before HoL I'm sure it'd be my favourite fictional book.

I love all of Danielewski's stuff, but when it comes to evoking emotions, DFW is unparalleled. Danielewski comes off as super pretentious which I totally understand, but he's been doing amazing things with typography since he started writing and I really think he's going places with it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Calling what he's doing a gimmick is, in my opinion, seriously marginalizing what he's doing with typography in a lot of his works. Correct me if I'm wrong(which would also be cool cause it gives me more books to add to my list...) but there hasn't been any similar style prior to MZD's that has really gotten as much attention.

If you liked HoL, try The 50 Year Sword. I don't even know if it qualifies as a novella it's so short, but it's kind of a good followup to HoL, or even a good introduction to his style of writing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Looks like the generic "face tattoo" option from any video game that lets you personalize your character.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

This page has an overwhelming amount of what the gently caress on it.

Seriously, tattooed kids and then actors tattooing eachother? What the gently caress is going on

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Scathach posted:

There's also an idiot vet out there that's fine with sedating animals and tattooing/piercing them. Pic is of a tattooed cat, probably :nms: for some people:

http://i.imgur.com/DP512vQ.jpg

If you GIS it there are more but I really don't feel like it.

Edit: Apparently it's not illegal, just 'incredibly frowned upon'. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Johnny Truant has a new favorite as of 21:56 on May 18, 2016

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Heath posted:

Cut off a cat's balls and gently caress up its hormones for life? Responsible pet ownership

Buy an animal a bunch of sick tats? Animal abuse

im joking ok don't dox me

You are right, my post was reactionary and it is slightly hypocritical. Still, though, that's just hosed.

VoidBurger posted:

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of pets are tattooed with an ID number when they're spade/neutered. I dunno if they still do that these days, but they're cheaper than micro-chipping them, I bet. My cats had those tats somewhere under their fur.

Never heard of this, only the microchipping. That's different than "I want my cat to have the same skull and crossbones I do fufufu" though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Dark One posted:

As seen on twitter.

Towers don't look phallic enough, c'mon son.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Three friends of mine got a Triforce tattoo together, with each individual only getting one of the separate triangles filled in. All black so they're not bad quality.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

rocketpig posted:

It came from facebook.

Last week I saw a woman with these exact, busted rear end kinds of tattoos but they were different colours, and she was picking at them very vehemently :barf:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

synthetik posted:

Guy plays videogame, gun gets removed from videogame, guy gets memorial tattoo for gun.

Now, gun gets added back to videogame!

The gently caress kind of gun even is that?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Whyyyyy does this eyeball have eyelashes inside it??

It also has the worst case of myosis ever.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

Man, this page is so depressing.

Here is a palate cleanser:

Every time I see that poor lady's face... :(

Dani Queiopo(sp) is my favourite! :swoon:

When I first saw their tattoos I thought they were photoshopping the contrast into their cause the work is just so drat bold it's unbelievable. drat amazing artists over in Europe that won't visit me!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

Which reminds me, I need to call Great Lakes again.

Oh dope, who're you seeing there?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Gjallarhorn, rocket launcher from Destiny. I'm ashamed to know that, but the tattoo holds true, RIP terrible game.

:barf:

I thought it looked familiar since I used to ball on vanilla/Crota's Destiny back in the day, but jesus, really, someone got a Destiny tattoo? :psyduck: to the max.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

BEATDOWN

I just rode my bike there and back, and managed to somehow miss all the rain that hit the northwest side, plus it suddenly became drastically cooler on the Kennedy. We discussed what I wanted, and I'll be back down there in a week.

Or I guess I could just ask my cousin to give me a Tinkerbell in his kitchen.

Nice, I dig his stuff. Different colour palate than Mario/Nick, and that's tight. Some of his roses are sweet.

I didn't even know it rained, hah, although I'm in the Medical District right now :shrug:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CuteStorm posted:

I couldn't stop laughing at Bruce's arm.

Ah, yes, Hruce Kee. I remember him.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I have so much that I really should contribute to this topic, but I'm usually just a lazy sack. Anyway here's two that I scoped out from an acquaintance's FB. This individual also said that getting their semicolon tattoo was one of the most important moments in their life, so, uh, yeah...

http://i.imgur.com/O6IREw3.jpg
http://imgur.com/CBNbhrQ

I also have no idea what the first one actually says?

Fake edit: I also apparently don't know how to properly link images from imgur, how do I internet? :blush:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Roro posted:

There you go.

Thanks! Is there something more than just the [ img] tags that I need? Sorry that I suck at this...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

sweeperbravo posted:

Coagula? When your vampire bite stops bleeding?

Hahaha. Solve Et Coagula is also a Mudvayne song.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Roro posted:

The second one needed a file like .jpg at the end but other than that you were fine. You can also make images smaller by using timg instead of img.

Ontopic, those tattoos look like Cyrillic. Is she Russian, or does she just like weird symbols? Probably some Supernatural bullshit actually...

Definitely not Russian, hah. Thanks for the bbc code help, too!

Interesting.

Also, Marilyn Manson has the same tattoos but on his hands. This friend really knows how to pick em.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:stonk:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elsa posted:

after like 10 edits lol

:perfect:

Can I download this?!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elsa posted:

Yeah, knock yourself out I made it in response to your av and post combination more than the tattoo.

Oh my god you're the best :blush:

Someone Awful! posted:

i love you guys so much

isn't this a loving coldplay song? :o:

Watermelon cat is hilarious other than the placement.

Birds flying through a tentacle'd watercolour vagina, on the other hand...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CuteStorm posted:

I did a hunt for tattoo and piercing combos. I don't recommended GISing that. Lotta penises.

This one bothers me the most. The piercings are going to be directly under the waistband of her jeans. Ow ow ow ow. If they aren't catching on the moving, pushing,

This Tom of Finland number also came up.

These kind of piercings make no sense to me, tattoo-paired or not. Why the gently caress do you want random, bedazzled looking chunks of metal just popping out of your flesh? :psyduck:

I hate the cheek-dimple ones the most. Seriously, what's the loving point?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Actually where in your chest your heart can vary.

:goonsay:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

While I agree with the sentiment, this tattoo is awesome :colbert:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

there wolf posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say it. Inspirational quote tattoos, while bad, are still better than minimalist, single line poo poo like that stupid wave.

That's, like, your like, opinion, man!

No but for real inspirational quote tattoos are the trash of the earth.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

When your friend posts on FB about getting a tattoo with their pet's ashes in the ink :psypop:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ToastFaceKillah posted:

To top it off, the guy is telling me that I should be honored and get some humility.

And equating your pokemon designs to his plagiarism :psyduck:

Block the idiot and let him flop as a thief-apprentice, yeesh gently caress that guy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Optimist with doubt posted:

My girlfriend is thinking about getting a tattoo of Falcor the luck dragon from Never Ending Story. I decided to google for inspiration

oh my

Literally burst out laughing on my bus commute :xd:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I literally have no idea what the gently caress is up with the left(Sailor whatever's right) arm/leg in this tattoo :confused:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DandyLion posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a recent tattoo of the creature from 'Stranger Things'.

Still haven't gotten around to watching this :blush:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

Do, it's really good.

Chichevache posted:

I started watching it the other night and I'm really enjoying it. They even found child actors who are good.

Yeah I've been meaning to, TV is falling by the wayside at the moment in my life. I watched the first episode but I was, uh, pretty :guinness: so I don't remember much. Probably start using an episode per study session as a mini break.

Anyway, finally got around to uploading this. Seen at a street festival in Chicago, could not believe my eyes that I saw something like this out in the wild.

Fake edit: And okay I still don't know how to properly BBcode images here, can anyone help? I literally feel like an idiot, this is the second time I've tried multiple things to no avail. I just uploaded this image...

http://imgur.com/a/BTMKO

...to imgur. I know it doesn't have a file type at the end, so I tried just adding .jpg and it still didn't work?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CeramicPig posted:

Girl from HS posted this last night so thrilled with the work

I love how the shading just abruptly ends on the lower portion of that.. heart thing. Like the artist was just like, eh, gently caress it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to be.

lol even her Mandala tshirt is janky as gently caress.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

It's probably a semi-famous person she met's signature.

Michael J Fox's?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Christ, Bassnectar obsessive fans are the absolute worst.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

As someone who works in the neuroscience field this is just excruciating. Why is their brain literally pressing up against the dorsal aspect of their eyeballs? Where's their loving skull at!? :kingsley:

Also look at how they wrote "climb" in there. They wrote "Cimb" then had to jam the 'L' in afterwards. :redass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

To infinity and less than?