Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Problem description: I have a trusty old ASUS EEE PC that I use at work which runs Windows XP. It's an extra one I have zero intention of spending money on to upgrade. The program I want to use runs on Windows only so installing Linux isn't an option. My workplace upgraded its WiFi network and now I can't log on to it.
I suppose using my Windows 10 laptop at work would solve this, but I'd rather use this lovely one for work and my good one for play. :(

Recent changes: I don't know the details of what the new WiFi upgrades were, but it caused issues with Windows 8 and 10 for while until the tech dept. fixed those issues. It seems like my laptop is the first XP machine they've looked at since the upgrade this week. They initially didn't know what to do and said it was because Windows XP is too old. The WiFi upgrade is some unique new thing which also caused problems for Windows 8 and 10, which they have since resolved. They want more time to look at my laptop, so I'll take it to them again on Monday (needed time to delete some of my personal crap :tinfoil: ). In the meantime, I'm investigating it.

Attempted fixes:
The problem is that a prompt asking for a username and password (not a network key) is supposed to appear. It never does, and shows the error message "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network". This new WiFi network is supposed to be running in "infrastructure" mode. Windows XP should know what that is.
Troubleshooting with Network Diagnostics doesn't work much at all.

yes, I see the typo

The laptop can use other WiFi networks and can use use hard wired Ethernet just fine. But I need to use it on the go at work for my purposes. Can the technology they're using here be so new that it never received an update before XP ended? Windows Update is somehow still working for me can still install updates. None of the new ones helped me, though. I also updated the drivers for my wireless hardware, but nothing changed.

I do know it's possible to tell Windows let another program configure wireless connections. Could there be a 3rd party program out there that can handle this better than windows?

Operating system: Windows XP Pro

System specs: ASUS EEE PC 1005HAB, 1 GB DDR2 RAM, 1.6 GHz Intel Atom CPU
Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter, Wireless Type, 802.11bgn

The published requirements for my workplace wifi:
802.11(b or g) compliant wireless card
Network type: Infrastructure
SSID: XXXX, YYYY, ZZZZ (redacted)
TCP/IP settings: DHCP

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I've googled the error message and words related to it like Windows XP infrastructure mode certificate validating but the results are always about a dissimilar problem with solutions that don't work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't have a Windows XP install handy to check, but I think you probably need to configure the PEAP settings. It should be an option in the dropdown that currently shows Smart Card or other certificate. A good guess would be that your network is using MSCHAPv2, and you need to enable certificates and use your network login username and password. This information should be able to be entered under Properties when you select the EAP type. Do the other computers use a third-party app to connect to the network initially, something like XpressConnect? If so then the above is almost certainly true.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
No special apps; the other Win 7+ computers that have successfully used the new WiFi have done so using Windows alone. You are probably right that making changes to EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties and etc. would allow Windows XP to use the WiFi network properly.

But there are so many menus and sub-menus you have to locate and open in order to make those changes and I'm not even sure what settings all of them need.... so I got lazy and googled around for alternative wireless programs and found one that worked and did all that for me. Good enough I guess :downs:

• Locked thread