Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

What is this?

Civilization V fuckin' rules. We all know that already, that's why there's like 20 LPs of it. It's a game with infinite possibilities, where every game is radically different and as long as you don't tire of the core concepts, offers effectively infinite replay value. The vanilla version was really good, and then Gods & Kings and the various DLCs improved on it, and then finally it was perfected with the release of Brave New World. For all intents and purposes, it is complete.

But gently caress that. We can do deeper.

But I thought mods were all dumb bullshit made by middle-schoolers!

Mostly! Yes, like all games most Civ V mods are either horribly thought out, cartoonishly overpowered, existing purely for the name or, uh, all of the above, but while that may be true, if you look hard enough some of the mods people have put together for this game are actually really good. Like, Really Really Good. Needless to say, those are the ones that will be showcased in this LP.

What kind of mods will you be showing off?

All kinds! The first game will be mostly a general selection of the most popular mods/ones I use when I play normally, and I don't want to get too ahead of myself but past that I have some more... let's say ambitious mods I'm going to show off. I'll also be poking around for new ones as the lp goes, so unexpected stuff will probably pop up here and there as well. People can totally request certain ones too, and I'll try my best to work it in there.

Another note!

Due to all the different concepts and mechanics and stuff these mods introduce, in the interest of not overloading you all with words I'll be (for the most part) assuming you already have a pretty decent idea of how the basic vanilla game concepts work. If you don't, may I direct you to ModeWondershot's excellent interactive LP that's currently ongoing, as well as the several equally quality threads on the archive/master list (trust me, I've read almost all of them). However, I will try to explain various strategies/tips as I go and try to give an idea of my decision-making process on the higher difficulties of this game.

Table of Contents:

Game I: The All-Mod Civs Battle Royale Hoedown And Jamboree
Due to popular demand, here is the map used in this game if you wanna mess around with it

Part 0
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 5.5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11

Game II: Community Balance Patch

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 7.5
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10

Bonus Game 1

Part 1

Monicro fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Reserved oh man i always wanted to do that

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Part 0: Choose Your Fighter

Okay, so for the first game we'll be showing off (in addition to other stuff) 10 mod civs that I painstakingly selected with my blood sweat and tears etc etc. Most of them are actual historical figures/civilizations but a couple are based on various video games, because while my tastes generally go toward the former some of the latter have far and away some of the most interesting gimmicks for obvious reasons. They're all really fun though, and so I'm leaving it up to you all to decide who we play as!

(Write-ins are accepted)

Canada (Lester B. Pearson)
Unique Ability: Keepers of the Peace - Mounted Units temporarily claim neutral land and generate +2 Happiness when Garrisoned. Upon declaring friendship, Canada and their friend gain +1 Delegate to the World Congress.
Unique Unit (#1): Great Voyageur - Unlike the Great Merchant which it replaces, Voyageurs cannot conduct Trade Missions with City-States, but are capable of creating Fur resources in your territory. Moves faster along rivers.
Unique Unit (#2): Garrison Artillery - Canada's unique Cannon that can build forts. Upon entering in a fort, or citadel, the Garrison Artillery gains the "On Guard for Thee!" promotion which allows it to deal double damage.
Sales Pitch: They're a bit OP for my liking so I don't really use them, but they're far and away one of the most unique and polished mods out there so here they are!

Caesar's Legion (Caesar)
Unique Ability: Conqueror of 86 Tribes - Dispersed Barbarian Encampments and adjacent tiles are retained as Forts for the empire. Upon conquering an Encampment or City, receive a production boost in the Capital.
Unique Unit (#1): Legate: Unique Great General for Caesar's Legion that can fight like a combat unit, gaining increased Combat Strength with certain military Technologies, and has a chance to passively convert adjacent Barbarians to your civilization.
Unique Unit (#2): Praetorian Guard: Unique Landsknecht for Caesar's Legion. Requires Honor, and may only be purchased with Gold. Gains extra Combat Strength with the discovery of certain military technologies, and an offensive bonus when stationed on or adjacent to a friendly Great Person. May not upgrade.
Sales Pitch: They can be a devastating military civ if played well, and going after all the barb camps in the early game and having little outposts strewn everywhere is super fun. Probably who I'd play as if I wasn't leaving it up to a vote but welp!

The Goths (Alaric I)
Unique Ability: Sacker of Rome - Non-mounted land military units may use enemy roads before the Industrial Era. Capturing a foreign Capital triggers a Golden Age.
Unique Unit: Gadrauht - Replaces Swordsman. Heals double when pillaging a non-road Improvement. +15% Combat Strength in Rough Terrain
Unique Building: Hov - Replaces Stable. +1 Faith per Horse, Sheep, Cattle worked by the city. +10% Land Unit Production (instead of +15% Mounted Unit Production). -10% Production Cost.
Sales Pitch: Like the Legion they can be lethal if you know what you're doing, they're built to rush the poo poo out of their first neighbor and never look back.

Militaires Sans Frontieres (Big Boss)
Unique Ability: Army Without A Nation - Cannot Build Settlers nor annex cities. Start with additional units. Gain the unique Salvage yield from capturing Cities; gain Salvage and Gold from each unit within the bordered of a protected City-State. Salvage upgrades your Palace.
Unique Unit (#1): Stealth Operative - Replaces Paratrooper, invisible to enemy units and ignores Zone of Control. Has 4 movement, but may not paradrop. Cannot capture Cities, and has a -33% Combat Penalty when attacking them.
Unique Unit (#2): Metal Gear - Replaces Giant Death Robot, unlocked at Robotics instead of Nuclear Fusion, 250 Combat Strength instead of 150. Can carry 1 missile. Requires level 21 Mother Base to build. Requires 4 Aluminum instead of 1 Uranium. Double Production cost. Ignores terrain movement costs
Sales Pitch: As previously put on display by Speedball's fantastic LP from a little while ago. I'd rather not play as them for that reason as I feel it'd be a little redundant, but if it's what the people want who am I to refuse?

New California Republic (Tandi)
Unique Ability: Pacification of The Mojave - Cities founded on or adjacent to Desert construct Buildings 10% faster. Gold-providing buildings provide +5 XP to newly-trained units and reduce the cost of buying tiles by 15% in the city in which they are built.
Unique Unit: Desert Ranger - Unique Great War Infantry for New California. It receives +1 Sight and +1 Movement in Desert tiles, unlike the unit it replaces, and upon reaching Level 5, becomes a Veteran Ranger, which has strength on par with Infantry.
Unique Building: Outpost - May only be built in cities with a connection to the Capital. In addition to the standard bonuses of the Caravansary, it increases the rate of cultural border expansion in this city by 20%, and will claim all neutral Roads within 3 tiles upon completion.
Sales Pitch: The last of the ~Bideo Games~ civs, and possibly my favorite civ in this whole list. Outposts encourage a super fun strategy of building wide and hogging as much land as you're possibly able, and basically I just love them they're so fun oh gosh.

Norway (Haakon IV)
Unique Ability: The Northward Route - Begin with visibility of nearby (read: ~50 tiles) coastal tiles and receive double quantity from ocean resources. Sources of Fish yield +1 gold.
Unique Unit: Birkbeiner - Land Unit that replaces the Swordsman and faster in Snow and Tundra.
Unique Building: Stave Church - Replaces the Temple and stores food when a new Citizen is born, equal to the city's Faith output (up to 15%). Does not require a Shrine to be built.
Sales Pitch: Their coastal tiles ability is incredibly unique. I still have no idea if it's *good*, but really, really interesting.

Qin Dynasty (Ying Zheng)
Unique Ability: The Great Unity - After capturing a foreign Capital, Cities with the Default Building will acquire the Unique Building of this Civilization, and Default Unit can also be converted into the Unique Unit of this Civilization.
Unique Unit (#1): Qin Nu - Replaces the Composite Bowman. Starts with the Logistics Promotion and strong against cities, but must set up before attacking.
Unique Unit (#2) Rui Shi - Replaces the Horseman. Slower but can improve tiles while not at war with anyone.
Sales Pitch: Can be borderline unstoppable if the timing for their ability works out right, and even if they don't they're really fun.

The Sioux (Sitting Bull)
Unique Ability: Great Buffalo Hunt - Starting with your second City, settling near Plains tiles will spawn a Bison Resource. Bison in Sioux territory may no longer be improved but instead provide a large base yield (increased at Chivalry) and periodically roam throughout the map.
Unique Unit: Strong Heart - Replaces Knight. Can receive defensive bonuses. +25% vs Gunpowder Units. The first Strong Heart trained will also act as a Great General, providing a combat bonus to nearby land units. If this unit is killed the bonus transfers to another random Strong Heart warrior.
Unique Improvement: Tipi - Available at Trapping. +1 Food. +1 Food after Horseback Riding. +1 Culture after Chivalry. May move City Population. Requires Flatland Plains tiles. May not be built adjacent to another Tipi or on Resource tiles.
Sales Pitch: The other one vying with the NCR for my favorite of this bunch, Wild Bison waltzing around your territory is v cute and it doesn't say it up there but if they move to a neutral tile outsise your borders you'll get that tile, which every so often can be a huge boost early on.

Wallachia (Vlad the Impaler)
Unique Ability: Terror and Anguish - Enemies adjacent to Military Land Units are 5% weaker and this increases when certain Era Advancing Technologies are researched. Gain 3 additional Influence per turn with City-States you could demand tribute from.
Unique Unit: Guardsman of Armas - +30% Defense against Ranged Attacks and is considering cheaper than the Pikeman that it replaces.
Unique Building: Brāncovenesc Monastery - Replaces the Temple, gives +2 Culture and each source of Incense, Wine and Silk worked by the City produce an extra +1 Faith and +1 Culture.
Sales Pitch: Another civ showcased in Speedball's aforementioned LP. Ostensibly the civ is Wallachia but let's face it, for all intents and purposes this civilization is Vlad The Impaler, and it does a pretty fun job of representing that.

Vietnam (Trung Sisters)
Unique Ability: The Ascending Dragon - Defensive structures within a city increases the spawn rate of Great Writers, Artists and Musicians. Receive +5% Culture and +5% Food in each city for each Social Policy adopted in the Honor Tree.
Unique Unit: Viet Cong - Gains Invisibility and Double Movement in Forests and Jungles, unlike the Infantry it replaces. However, it also has a combat penalty in open terrain.
Unique Building: Water Puppet Theater - Has one slot for a Great Work of Writing. More expensive than the Amphitheater that it replaces, as well as providing an additional point of culture - Great Works contained within a city that has Water Puppet Theater increases a city's Defensive Strength by 5
Sales Pitch: I have seen firsthand what Viet Cong can do to a civ. They are loving terrifying.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 22, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I am just terrible at having opinions, but I'll chime in to say I'm looking forward to this.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Never been able to stomach a Legion playthru

Maybe you can do it in a different game!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Monicro posted:

Canada (Lester B. Pearson)
Unique Ability: From Sea To Sea - Mounted Units temporarily claim neutral land and provide Great Merchant Points when garrisoned in a Fort or Citadel. Upon declaring friendship, Canada and their friend gain +1 Delegate to the World Congress.
Unique Unit: Great Voyageur - Unlike the Great Merchant which it replaces, Voyageurs are capable of creating Fur resources in City-State territory, which provides you with a large amount of Influence. Cannot conduct Trade Missions with City-States, but can construct Customs Houses. Moves faster along rivers.
Unique Building: Hudson's Bay Company - Alongside the benefits that the Bank provides, the Hudson's Bay Company causes local Forts to provide +1 Gold, and units trained in this City gain the Colonial Capitalism promotion, which allows units to Produce +1 Gold when on a Fort or Citadel and gain +15% Combat when starting a turn on a Trading Post.
Sales Pitch: They're a bit OP for my liking so I don't really use them, but they're far and away one of the most unique and polished mods out there so here they are!

Let's be Canada and win the game without ever attacking and just being cool buds with everyone.

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 16, 2016

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

FairGame posted:

Never been able to stomach a Legion playthru

Maybe you can do it in a different game!

Killing the NCR president is fun as hell

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let's see what Canada is aboot.

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008
Sioux. Between your two favorites, I'll take the non-video-game pick.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Vietnam. I wanna see what those Viet Cong do.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Canada

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Qin Dynasty

know if there's any reason the mod uses his birth name and not Qin Shi Huang though?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Sioux, let's rule the plains.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Can't resist Civ V threads. Vietnam sounds perfect.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Voting Sioux for cute fuzzy bisons.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Quick PSA for people voting: I have just now learned that Canada is Kinda Borked As poo poo in the steam workshop version, so we'll be using an older version that's slightly different in a couple ways (most notably Hudson's Bay Company is replaced by a unique cannon that can build forts). This shouldn't really affect the voting however as that building was by far the least interesting part of the mod anyway and everything else is almost invisibly minor but just a heads up!

Monicro fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 16, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Let's play as :canada:.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I was promised lightsabers

where are the lightsabers

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

darealkooky posted:

That originally said my little ponies but i got scolded

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
New California Republic, please.

Though out of curiosity, what is the Qin Dynasty's unique building? It is mentioned in their UA but not listed here.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

TravelLog posted:

Though out of curiosity, what is the Qin Dynasty's unique building? It is mentioned in their UA but not listed here.

Oh they don't have one, it just means that if you conquer another civ that does have one's capital you unlock theirs. So like, if you were to capture Austria's (who have a unique version of windmills, Coffee Houses) capital, all your current windmills will get converted to Coffee Houses for example. It's neat!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That does indeed sound neat as hell. In fact, I'll vote for it. Qin Dynasty.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

darealkooky posted:

Tricky. There are several, even many Star Wars civs, but few have modded visuals, so even when there's a civ with lightsabers as a possibility, they often don't have them.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Qin Dynasty because that sounds like a crazy useful ability.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Canada because we are desperate for any sort of representation whenever we can get it

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
NCR

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Norway because that looked interesting to me, but clearly not to everyone else.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Going with Canada.

Savgeir
Dec 23, 2013

Have you appeased the machine spirits today?

Qin Dynasty because that ability sounds cool and I want to see how it actually works.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Viet Nam

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
:canada: Patriotism Ho!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Current Tally (of civs that have at least 1 vote)

Canada: 7
Qin Dynasty: 4
Sioux: 3
Vietnam: 3
NCR: 2
Legion: 1
Norway: 1

I'm thinking I'll close the voting at Midnight CDT, which is 7 hours from now so get your votes in!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Qin Dynasty has a really neat-sounding mechanic!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sioux because wandering animals sounds like it could be fun.

Monicro posted:

That originally said my little ponies but i got scolded
That reminds me, I never did manage to get the mod I was working on way back to work. :sigh:

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Much as I would be tempted to display my disgusting nationalism with :canada:, let's go Qin Dynasty and see if that UA is as broken as I think it is.

Keep your fingers crossed for a non-isolated Continents start while you are at it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Qin because it seems it would take a lot of effort to make proper use of their ability.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Changing my vote to Qin Dynasty because being the Borg sounds fun. Also if you go with Qin, please rename our capital to Wukong.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 17, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm gonna vote Sioux.

inky101
Nov 1, 2007

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Voting Sioux for cute fuzzy bisons.

Okay, I can't argue with cute fuzzy bisons, Sioux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Final Tally!

Qin Dynasty: 8
Canada: 7
Sioux: 6
Vietnam: 3
NCR: 2
Legion: 1
Norway: 1
(Everything else got 0)

Qin gets a late burst and just sneaks ahead of Canada! First update to come in the next day or two!

Monicro fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 17, 2016

• Locked thread