Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
A shame that Venom Snake doesn't talk about eating your hamburgers in the cultural defeat thing.

Been enjoying watching this, it's totally different than my usual Civ playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

A shame that Venom Snake doesn't talk about eating your hamburgers in the cultural defeat thing.

More an anomaly, actually. Probably had MSF/Diamond Dogs's unique Influential Culture lines eaten in XML overlap during mod selection.

MSFGameText.xml (MSF v.15) posted:

pre:
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GENERIC_MSF_INFLUENTIAL_ON_AI_1">
	<Text>
		Our people are now buying your cardboard boxes and hiring your mercenaries. I worry the rest of the world will also succumb to the influence of your culture.
	</Text>
</Row>
<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GENERIC_DIAMOND_DOGS_INFLUENTIAL_ON_AI_1">
	<Text>
		Our people are now buying your iDroids and are playing you like a drat fiddle. I worry the rest of the world will also succumb to the influence of your culture.
	</Text>
</Row>

Vice Virtuoso's 3rd Street Saints is another gold mine for BNW-specific prompts, and ditto his various animes I guess

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

You have to use a mod to get the custom cultural-domination text per civ, unfortunately; the base game doesn't support it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Qin Dynasty hamburgers are the best.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Part 11 - Everything Goes According To Plan

Welcome back! Last time all the pieces for the finale (of game 1~) were put into motion, and now it's time!

This is one of the very first Qin Nus we built, and he's still around and pretty ridiculous these days. I love him and he loves me.

Our army crashes in from out of the desert, and he has only Riflemen and Cannons to defend it. 79 strength is preeeetty tough, but this first step is already looking like a rout.

On the other side, our navy lies in wait, but I want Alaric to push his army just a biiiit further into Ceasar's lands first.

An actually pretty decent amount of units pours in to defend Phoenix, but even this is good news, as it means:

Yep, Two Sun is not as defended as it could be, and thus is already getting pelted by the goths. There's really no right answer for him here as he basically HAS to sacrifice one of Two Sun or Phoenix and go all-in on the other or else he's going to lose both. What makes matters worse for him is his land is quite flat, meaning neither of us or Alaric will even be slowed down by terrain.

Unfortunately for him, the side he chose to defend isn't faring a whole lot better.

Even the backup trying to come in from Oslo is having problems, as not only did I send a contingent of mounted units to harass them but the remains of whatever city this used to be is keeping them nice and healthy as they do

Best friends! Apparently!

Oof, backup is coming from an unexpected place however: Hai Phong, and while it seems to be almost exclusively cannons we'll have to keep them from getting close to our main army.

the bright side of that means that Saigon just to it's north is easy pickins, and a small squad we bought up in Hanoi is taking it down. Only 100 turns after I really wanted it, not bad!

Back on the main line, the Legion riflemen are all either killed or retreating and we begin pelting Phoenix.

Yikes, that is a LOT of firepower trying to punch through our defense squad and not only that...

... But Ceasar's apparently finally researched Dynamite, and those cannons are becoming Artillery. I'm not incredibly worried about it, but it's becoming more and more of something to watch.

All done legit, yep!

Another round, and the almost half-dozen artillery surrounding Phoenix bring it down! Our desert ranger busts in...

And just like that, Flagstaff is on the horizon!

Our explorer can actually do a bit of espionage as he wanders through Alaric's land: Since this road tile isn't technically within his borders, Pillaging it is not an act of war and he won't even get mad at us, even though it fucks up the city connection and his mobility.

... See? :v:

Our horsemen start scouting through Flagstaff, where the defense is... not a whole lot better than Phoenix's! The City defense is markedly better however.

The Goths are still trying to crack Two Sun, but it holds firm. This is actually quite good news, as I was worried we were gonna have to race him to Flagstaff but that appears to be unfounded.

Soon.

We still haven't seen Ceasar's normal unique unit, but that one you can see right under the damage text there is a Legate! Legates are unique Great Generals, with their claim to fame being that they can actually fight, and their attack power gets buffed at certain techs to assure that they never become obselete. They're really fun!

The second reason I took that screencap is much more annoying however: We're waiting to capture Oslo until after Flagstaff for obvious reasons, but as you can see there's a number of Gothic units lining up near it and they may be trying to take it before we can. This would be quite annoying, as their army is looking significantly stronger than the Legion.

:glomp:

Hmm...

Nope! Sorry! (Also, as you might notice, this is where I finally realized Plastics what basically worthless in these circumstances. Oops.)

This is actually a pretty significant city to take, as it means the contingent that was previously relegated to attacking just Saigon can now slam right into the back of the Legionary contingent in Hai Phong, letting our main army roll into Flagstaff without fear.

Man, credit where credit is due: all things considered, Ceasar is doing a great job of holding off both fronts. It's not nearly enough, and I don't think it would even be possible to be without at least Great War Infantry, but it's still pretty admirable.

Of course right as I say that, Two Sun finally breaks. With an onslaught of Gothic troops now moving toward The Fort and and equally-sized Qin army marching up the road to Flagstaff, this is looking like all she wrote for Ceasar.

Ah, Alarics army is precisely where I wanted them, this is perfect. You know what that means!

Fire the cannons! (I may have panicked momentarily when I saw that submarine, but subs are surprisingly squishy even against a somewhat-outdated army if A, you can see them and B, you have a good amount of units, both boxes we tick)

That's... weirdly on point considering how hard I played you. Welp, it's way too late for conscience now!

The frigates swarm on this terrible city off the coast, and hopefully we can get rid of it quick because ew.

The Goths only have a token navy of their own, but their ally Antananarivo has a few privateers and even an artillery on their island, we'll need to give it a wide berth.

Back on land, our Desert Ranger-led army (appropriate!) continues the surge into Flagstaff while most of the remaining Legionarries are picked off by the Goths. It's a tough, tough city, but we have still a toooon of artillery.

Speaking of artillery, right as a gothic one is bought in Terrible Island City...

It's done for! The Frigates press forward onto the coast of the mainland, and we even have a handful of Blitz (<3 Alhambra + Brandenburg) Great War Infantry making their way over by sea to invade by land if needed. Not long now!

The last of the Legionarries charge past the Goths in a desperate bid to defend their capital, but it's too late!

Two more! Our army presses northward for Oslo!

Our navy splits up, half going south to start shelling Victoriacum and the other half wrapping around the peninsula to get in range of their capital.

Ceasar's army is almost 100% destroyed, and the troops form up on the road north to Oslo, and... wait, the hell's going on with the UI? You see that, on the bottom left? I...

... I can't control any of my units.

Even with hotkeys.

... gently caress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, here's the dealie: Immediately after taking Flagstaff, presumably due to some bug with one or several of the mods, the UI freaked out and rendered me unable to continue playing, thus forcing me to replay/re-screenshot dozens of turns of gameplay. On the other hand, actually taking Oslo/Arheimar was basically a victory lap at this point and I'd guess there was only about 5-10 turns left in the game (ie like 6 or 7 screencaps), so with that in mind, may I humbly present to you all an artist's interpretation of those last few turns:

Our army is lining up against Oslo, but so are the Goths!!! Can we take it?!?!?!?!?!?

We get Electronics, which means we get infantry!! which means:

VIET CONG!!!! Get em!!! Boom, pow!!

Alaric's whole army is getting owned by Viet Cong and they can't defend their Capital! Go boats go!!!

:dance: We Win!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

Next Time!

So, first game done! I think I'll take a week break between games in the interest of not burning out (and also to get Stellaris out of my system :v:), so next update will be next Monday! It will be something, um, VERY different.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 10, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Aw, man, the VCs were hyped so much, I wanted to see what they did.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And how is Stellaris?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Aw, man, the VCs were hyped so much, I wanted to see what they did.

(they actually wouldn't have been super useful in that situation, they're killer in forest/jungle but suffer a penalty outside of them and there were none really around :ssh:)

Speedball posted:

And how is Stellaris?

Only just started but pretty good so far!

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
Generally if there is a choice between MS Paint adventure and Not MS Paint adventure I'd say go with. Well done.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I kinda want to see the Greater Scandinavian Thunderdome now: Goths, Vikings, Danes, Sweden, Norway, Finland, any other variants that exist in mods. Nothing but blood and thunder, and victory at sea :black101:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Why are you going for Blitz on Infantry units instead of March? Personally I find that keeping my units alive is much more useful than attacking twice in a turn, especially since that only works if two units start adjacent to one another.
Blitz is a lot more valuable on Cavalry or Tanks, that can actually move around before or after.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Monicro posted:

It will be something, um, VERY different.

oooh, is it Anno Domani?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

oooh, is it Anno Domani?

Maybe he wants to get the inevitable anime civs out of the way sooner rather than later.

Regarding full conversion mods, I'd actually be intrigued to see a Faerun game, every time I've tried to play one I've gotten plagued by game-ending crashes and the like.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

Why are you going for Blitz on Infantry units instead of March? Personally I find that keeping my units alive is much more useful than attacking twice in a turn, especially since that only works if two units start adjacent to one another.
Blitz is a lot more valuable on Cavalry or Tanks, that can actually move around before or after.

Ehh, maybe it's just due to my strategy of "send an absurd amount of units and keep em coming", but I've always much preferred Blitz over March. I can see your reasoning though.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

oooh, is it Anno Domani?

Close!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

HOLY poo poo GUYS! CIV VI WAS JUST ANNOUNCED

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow. Be interesting to see what they do with it.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Here's an article with some of the things they're planning for it

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

City improvements outside the city? Now they're cribbing from Endless Legend!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You're mistaken: Civ 3 introduced Colonies to grab things outside your city radius.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Bloodly posted:

You're mistaken: Civ 3 introduced Colonies to grab things outside your city radius.

Return of colonies would be boss, but this is more about the single-city tile rather than the radius of control around a city.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, I never actually played Civ 3. I know Civ 4 had hamlets that would upgrade themselves over time, but those were mostly just gold generators.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Hello friends! I have returned from my Stellaris pilgrimage, with the news that it is Very Good, though way different than Civ despite sharing a genre. The focus is a lot more on population management and internal politics (both of which being things that Civ pays only cursory attention to), if that interests you and/or you like 4x's it's definitely worth a go.

Update tomorrow!

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
I'm thinking of holding off on Stellaris until they put out the universally-expected Espionage and Trade DLC(s). That stuff is just so integral to 4Xs in my opinion, but it doesn't make the wait any easier to hear how fun it is. :sadness:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Monicro posted:

Hello friends! I have returned from my Stellaris pilgrimage, with the news that it is Very Good, though way different than Civ despite sharing a genre. The focus is a lot more on population management and internal politics (both of which being things that Civ pays only cursory attention to), if that interests you and/or you like 4x's it's definitely worth a go.

Update tomorrow!
A bit late, but excellent work on the first part of this LP, it was a lot of fun.

And thank you very much for the MS Paint conclusion to the adventure, those are always hilarious.:)

X_countryguy posted:

Generally if there is a choice between MS Paint adventure and Not MS Paint adventure I'd say go with. Well done.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

TravelLog posted:

I'm thinking of holding off on Stellaris until they put out the universally-expected Espionage and Trade DLC(s). That stuff is just so integral to 4Xs in my opinion, but it doesn't make the wait any easier to hear how fun it is. :sadness:

I think of it as getting it now for $40 of fun game exploring the galaxy, uplifting presapients and enlightening pre-FTL primitives, or going maximum :hitler: on the galaxy if that's your thing, knowing that the DLC will almost surely come [given it's broken all Paradox sale records before] that makes a good game great.

Back on Civ 5 Modded: Looking forward to update! Glad to see it didn't end on MS Paint [good as that is]

Nekomimi-Maiden fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 16, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Monicro posted:

Update tomorrow!

It's a Paradox game so I'd expect it to share more traits with EU than Civ

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah but Civ 5 is the only other 4x I've played and thus my only point of reference for them so :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Monicro posted:

Yeah but Civ 5 is the only other 4x I've played and thus my only point of reference for them so :v:

Going from Civ to EU is like going from Risk to Twilight Imperium. It's almost like changing genres in how much more complex things get.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Xelkelvos posted:

Going from Civ to EU is like going from Risk to Twilight Imperium. It's almost like changing genres in how much more complex things get.

The comparison I used in the other thread was that your average Paradox game is a simulation, where there is less of a focus on objectives and specific tasks in favour of mechanical variety and a greater diversity of unusual potential outcomes. Civilization (V specifically) is more of a board game, where there is a little less mechanical complexity but a clearer sense of a goal to work towards and a "game" that you can play with others or AI in competition. Your enjoyment of either would therefore most likely stem from whether you are more partial to games or simulations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

By the way, Monicro, thanks for this LP, it lit a fire under me to try to get my own back underway. You're doing a great job.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Does Vice still post here?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

sincx posted:

Does Vice still post here?

He has an account but he tends to lurk. Yeah, he's seen this thread, I pointed it out to him, he had a good laugh when he saw what happened with Venom Snake.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

By the way, Monicro, thanks for this LP, it lit a fire under me to try to get my own back underway. You're doing a great job.

Aww, thanks/no problem! :3: And I'm looking forward to it!

Monicro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 17, 2016

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

Speedball posted:

Nice! It'll be cool to see some comparative gameplay and writing style between 3 ongoing LPs of this game. I'll keep an eye out!

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Game 2, Part 1 - I Explain A Lot

Welcome back! Last time, I showed of a smattering of smaller mods whilst murdering everybody. This time we're going with significantly less different individual mods, but the main one we are using is, uh, BIG.

Community Balance Patch! This is basically a complete overhaul mod of Civ 5 put together by the fine folks over at Civ Fanatics (basically the go-to place if you're looking for cool Civ mods, aside from the steam workshop) that changes Just About Everything about the game, and while I'm not sure I'd entirely replace normal civ 5 with it it certainly offers a really neat change of pace that's well worth showing off, and one of the main reasons I started this LP. As such it's probably worth noting that calling it "balance patch" is more than a little of a misnomer considering how much it affects, but there are a number of smaller balance-y changes in here as well. Let's dive in!

We're going with an even more standard setup this time around (since I'm no longer relying on the other civs for interesting content :v:), but ALREADY there's new stuff here and we're not even ingame yet: CBP cranks the difficulty ratings, so Settler is merely "easy" instead of total babby mode and Deity is "Holy poo poo What The gently caress Why". For that reason we're going Prince, which is roughly equivalent to vanilla Emperor.

Also I won't bore you by going down the list or anything, but each civ is also changed; many of them have different abilities now to mesh with all the changes, but the most notable change is that every civ now has 1 unique unit and 1 unique building, instead of some civs having 2 units. This partially means that some civs now have a brand-new building to play with, but almost all the units that got the shaft due to this are unlocked elsewhere; Spanish Tercios are now in the normal tech tree as a bridge between Pikemen and Musketmen, American B-17s are unlocked with one of the Freedom tenets, etc.

As you've probably noticed, we're also playing as a new mod civ that came out while I was getting this LP together and I'm 99.9% sure is compatible with all these mods: The Inuit! The Inuit are cool as poo poo.

As you can see, the Inuit's gimmick is basically that they turn Snow/Tundra tiles into not only good tiles, but a force. They also have a unique luxury, SEALS! :kimchi:

Worth noting that this is part of the Colonialist Legacies line of leader mods, which despite having a slightly questionable name are consistently some of the best leader mods around. Vietnam and Canada from the last game are also from those folks.

We're thrown into the game and our start isn't super great, since CBP nerfs salt tiles a bit, but it's decent enough and the tundra within spitting distance is promising for our civ. You can also already see one of the handful of new luxuries CBP adds down there by the salt, Lapis Lazuli! How luxuries work is changed pretty decently, but we'll get to that when we can actually hook them up.

Our settler plops down our capital in place, and we already have access to something that's worth noting: Farming Focus, with works with food the same way Gold and Science focus does. It can be really really handy in getting a new city up to speed quicker and during those down moments where there's nothing really super-worth building.

Also as you may have noticed, settling on top of a forest gives us the same flat production boost chopping one down does, so we can build our Scout super quick! :toot:

With that our only turn 0 responsibility left is to choose a tech, and while there's not a ton of *new* techs available, the way the tree is laid out is changed significantly. Basically what this means is going unevenly into the tree is much less of a thing than it once was, which I'm not sure I like very much but whaddaya gonna do. There's also a decent amount of new buildings/units available in these techs which I'll get into as we research them, but the most notable things right now are A) we need Pottery in order to build Settlers, B) additonal resources like cattle/stone/etc need techs to reveal, and C) for our civ in particular we're gonna need Calendar (for our unique improvement) and Fishing (SEALS). We're gonna tech Mining first though due to the abundance of Salt/Lapis around.

Just a turn later, say hello to the Inuit's unique Scout, the Unaaq! They're actually quite solid as far as Turn 1 uniques go (read: turn 1 uniques are bad), they're ranged instead of melee and can embark straight away, plus can be turned into a workboat when they outlive their usefulness, as Scouts do.

Okay okay, so, here's one of the most fundamental changes this mod introduces: Science is no longer based on your population (though there are a couple buildings that still give out science based on it). Instead, it's based on... well, a bit of everything. This shrine is a good example, which gives science based on the city's faith gain. This change is EXTREMELY weird if you're used to Civ 5, but it makes for a really interesting relationship between your resources that's clearly intended to make Science feel less separate from the rest of the game that I find quite fun.

Hoo boy, our Unaaq takes a couple steps south and happens upon our first barbarian camp, and lemme tell you: in this mod, barbarians do Not. gently caress. Around. They're stronger, regenerate health when within a camp and can actually loving conquer city-states. I don't think they can conquer a player's cities, but if you let them wail on it they'll actually steal points of science/gold/etc. They're still not a huge deal if you're careful, but you reeeaallllly can't just ignore them if you're busy like you can in vanilla.

In between turns, the warrior of this lady stumbles upon us! Isabella is also pretty decently retooled by this mod, actually completely taking away her natural wonder bonus in favor of making her Literally, Actually Impossible to spread your religion to. She still likes to colonize everywhere though, so border disputes between us are almost certainly going to be a thing and, let's face it, is probably going to end in murder. Get hype!

That ruin the observant among you may have noticed held culture, launching us into our first social policy!

Social policies are, you guessed it, super retooled in this mod, and our 3 opening options are Tradition, Progress and Authority. Tradition has the same kind of ideology behind it though now geared toward growth and making specifically your capital amazing, but Progress and Authority are the same in picture only. Progress basically helps your infrastructure and gives science/production bonuses, and Authority is a weird mix of Liberty and Honor for players who prefer to just take all the land they want. Liberty For Jerks, basically.

They're all quite solid and I think more dependent on playstyle than anything else, but we're gonna go Progress for this game. As you can see there's a middle-bonus for policies now in addition to opener/finishers, and the one for this one synergizes quite well with the rest of the policy.

Hey neat! There's more bonuses from ruins too, this one gives us some free borders!

Just east of our capital, we meet our first city-state! even the loving gift city-states give you is changed (I was not kidding, this mod changes a lot), as it's dependent on their trait, and this Maritime one gives our adventurers some food for their troubles :yum:

Aww that's a shame, that would've been a really good wonder to have but Panama City's gonna gobble that up. Oh well, after last game I suppose fair's fair.

A ranged-attacking scout is actually a much nicer bonus than it may seem, even with just 1 range; getting to attack without also taking damage is a p solid advantage offensively, which Scouts are obviously desperate for.

Mining! This unlocks an actually really really nice building in Wells, which is basically a water mill for cities not on rivers, plus extra food/production for every 5 citizens in the city. Not bad!

The Unaaq clears out that camp, and unlocks a fancy new promotion! In addition to fighting, Scouts also get XP just by exploring, which is really neat and makes sense!

Our warrior also levels up a couple turns later, and the upgrade tree for combat units is (brace yourself) basically completely changed. We'll go with Shock for him, since he's likely to be on barbarian duty for a while. Also definitely worth noting that insta-heals are gone from this, so we need to be more careful with our units than we used to.

Teamwork! :hist101:

Oh hey ya goofy hat-wearin' doofus, haven't seen ya in a while, how've you been? Pacal is technically largely unchanged, but due to the changes to Science his pyramid is gone, which is kinda the lynchpin of what makes him a great civ; instead it's a unique improvement that you can build in forest and jungle and gives out science/faith. Womp Womp.

In any case, boy oh boy is the religion game gonna be a loving pain with Pacal and Izzy next door, but we're gonna try!

We find a tech-giving ruin and get the science boost from Progress at the same time, giving us two techs at once :stare: Good timing too, as basically all the bonus resources are revealed now and this is looking-at-places-to-settle time, especially with Spain right next door.

Speaking of production, this should be handy. The other one we had available is probably a bit better, but the policy this one leads to gives you a free Worker which is obviously only useful if you get it ASAP.

That's... kinda impressive that they got a pantheon this early, considering you just get a pantheon at 30 faith now instead of it scaling by how many people have one. They might have a couple religious city-states nearby which, okay thats a slightly scary thought actually.

OH WHAT THE gently caress

Right nearby that impressive display of RNG is a friendly CS in Quebec City, who have nothing to offer us but friendship :3:

Oh yeah, here's probably the least meaningful part of this entire mod: the names of these are changed to be less tongue-in-cheek, for... some reason. Onward!

Fun fact about Hiawatha: due to what's presumably an oversight on Firaxis' part, the argument can and has been made that their unique ability is actively worse than just having no ability at all. And they're largely unchanged in this mod :buddy:

(Also, christ is the expansion in this game gonna get goofy with both Isabella and Hiawatha nearby. We need to claim our share of land, fast)

Our first worker is finished and starts hooking up the Salt nearby, and it's time to talk about what this mod does with it: Luxuries still give happiness for each individual type you have (though now only 1 instead of 4, more on that in a sec), but they're now centered around something called Monopoly Bonuses. They're fairly self-explanatory, but basically if you have 50% or more of all the tiles of that resource on the map within your borders, you have a monopoly on it, which gives you a different, super powerful bonus unique to each Luxury. As you can see, Salt (which we have a pretty decent chance of getting the Monopoly on) will give a solid growth boost to all our cities if we get our hands on the majority of them, and Lapis (which there's only one of around here but y'know) will boost the length of our golden ages.

"But Monicro", I've decided you're all saying as I'm segueing into it, "if Luxuries only give 1 happiness how will my happiness stay afloat?" Good question!

Happiness is changed to basically be more like Civ 4, in that it's more local than global; As you can see each citizen is entitled to 1 thing to be unhappy about, just like real life. You can ease their worries by building appropriate things in the city, like walls will remove the "we're defenseless" one there, etc. I suspect some people won't like this very much as it makes it much harder to make "specialized" cities which some people really like doing, but it does make more sense than having a zoo in your island colony on the other side of the world boost the happiness of your whole empire.

Back to our Unaaq, he quickly finds yet another player, and... goddammit.

Man, gently caress Ramesses. His gimmick is so boringly effective, he has possibly the most uncreative unique unit in the game, he is invariably a huge dick to everyone, I hate him. CBP gives him extra bonuses for Artifacts and Landmarks later on, which is a bonus he did not at all need as he's already one of the better civs in the game. For all those reasons and other much less rational ones he's my least favorite civ in the game and I hope we get the opportunity to shove that dumb cane up his rear end this game. Look at that awful goatee too, jesus christ.

... Welp, that's as good a point to stop on as any! See you Wednesday!

Monicro fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 17, 2016

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Daaang. That is a lot of changes and rebalances. Probably enough to be Civ 5.75 at least. I almost want to try it, but I like screwing around with the base game enough that I'm actually a bit frightened of having to relearn everything.

All that to say, glad you are showing off these changes, and the Inuit look like great fun as well.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Woop, Balance Patch! :dance: Only wish I could play it myself, but being on a Linux setup I'm unable to... ah well!

Monicro posted:

Fun fact about Hiawatha: due to what's presumably an oversight on Firaxis' part, the argument can and has been made that their unique ability is actively worse than just having no ability at all. And they're largely unchanged in this mod :buddy:

(Also, christ is the expansion in this game gonna get goofy with both Isabella and Hiawatha nearby. We need to claim our share of land, fast)

Also, I'd love it if you could give this an explanation. I've never head about this before, so I'm rather curious.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've played my games now largely with CBP and it's a big change from how normal Civ V is. Going Wide isn't as onerous as it was before due to how scaling works now and both Progress and Authority can support that strategy. Tradition is still home for going tall, but it's not so limited in scope. They're all also viable opening Policies that stay relevant throughout the game.

As far as Civs go, I really hope your map didn't screw you because the Inuit is basically a gimmick Civ based on Snow and Tundra and because of that dependence the RNG of the map is much more in play.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Luhood posted:

Also, I'd love it if you could give this an explanation. I've never head about this before, so I'm rather curious.

Oh yeah, sure! It's tricky to explain as it gets into the nitty-gritty of how roads work on a mechanical level, but here goes. So, the Iroquois Ability reads as follows:

quote:

Units move through Forest and Jungle in friendly territory as if they were Roads. These tiles can be used to establish City Connections upon researching The Wheel. Caravans move along Forest and Jungle as if they were Roads.

Pretty decent, right? If it worked the way it implied, it would be! Here's where it gets hard to explain, but basically, have you ever noticed that thing in this game where the movement bonus from roads doesn't fully kick in until the unit starts the turn on the road, meaning sometimes a unit will have to spend a turn just moving onto the road before they can really get going and it's sorta annoying? Well the Iroquois bonus effectively regards Forest/Jungle/traditional roads as 3 separate "types" of roads, meaning that if you have a path between your cities that's set up like, say, Forest Tile -> Normal Road -> Forest Tile -> Jungle, that WILL set up a city connection, but any unit moving along it has to pay extra movement points for every single tile, and god help you if there's a river thrown in there as unless there's a forest or whatever on both sides of it the unit will stop dead as if there's no road at all. Thus, the only way it really works as intended is if the stars align and the tiles between your cities are ALL one of forest or jungle.

This is especially awful when you need that mobility in wartime, imagine being ambushed by your next-door neighbor and having to use half-working roads to get your units over to defend against them.

Hopefully that made sense as like I said it's super weird and even I'm not totally educated on how movement rules work in this game. One has to assume it's a psuedo-bug Firaxis never noticed, but they never fixed it so welp either way.

e: plus even if it 100% worked the effect is only in friendly territory which puts a pretty hard ceiling on its usefulness

Monicro fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
The Iroquois UA may be pretty darned close to useless, but they are most strongly disliked for the UB which is in many circumstances actively worse than the building it replaces. CBP changes things so that it replaces a different building and it is much better in that form.

Also, you seem to be using an old version of the CBP. Notably, in the newest versions that branch of the Progress tree gives you the worker in the first policy and the building bonus in the second. (Don't update, though, it's non-savegame compatible.)

• Locked thread