Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

no seriously it's basically just Samurai Jack but he has a giant robot this time

Tokisada Oumakennosuke - the samurai in question

Yukina Shirahane - some girl who happened to be in the area who coincidentally looks like the samurai dude's princess (this may or may not be coincidental)

Hiromi Shirahane - cool mom who works for UN science things. frequently forgets her phone and her daughter

Sophie Noelle - serious ojou. is on cover art thing, for some reason. might believe all japanese are samurai

Sebastian - butler for the above. is a master kung fu man on the side

Tom Borden - this goddamn rear end in a top hat is the most loving respectable son of a bitch you'll ever meet, you can take that and shove it up your rear end

Liu Shen Mi - helps guy above pilot robot. does not give one poo poo

Marina Unami - school advisor. flagrantly thirsty for our samurai friend

Oshou Yakushi - uncle who's such a dork that he wraps around to being the only normal person to the samurai

Koharu Shirahane - it's all smooth sailing on this titanic

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I wasn't really convinced by the CG in ep 1 but its a lot better in 2. Show is good. And drat, PA works are really putting money into this.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
This was pretty enjoyable but I think it would be better if Yukina were a little brighter.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I couldn't help but notice in Episode 2 that the 'demons' only attacked those who attacked them first. Notice how the big yellow one waited for that train to go past before he sliced that bridge.

Odds on a miscommunication-based conflict?

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Show is a lot of fun. I very much appreciated that the UN team defeated a robot using their reverse-engineered mecha while Mr Samurai was still trapped in a black cube and conventional military forces apparently defeated another offscreen. Always nice to see conventional forces actually achieve something without relying exclusely on the protagonist's folded steel space katana.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I couldn't help but notice in Episode 2 that the 'demons' only attacked those who attacked them first. Notice how the big yellow one waited for that train to go past before he sliced that bridge.

Odds on a miscommunication-based conflict?

The ostrichbots also didn't care about civilians.

I'm also saying they are from Mars, just because of the girl wanting to go there.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Lestaki posted:

Show is a lot of fun. I very much appreciated that the UN team defeated a robot using their reverse-engineered mecha while Mr Samurai was still trapped in a black cube and conventional military forces apparently defeated another offscreen. Always nice to see conventional forces actually achieve something without relying exclusely on the protagonist's folded steel space katana.

yeah that was a thing I noticed too, 95% of the time in a robot show everyone who's not in the main robot exists solely to get clowned upon to show how much better the main character is, but here it's established they're competent enough to at least fight back and accomplish something even if they're pretty outclassed. It's good

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Mecha swordfights are super cool. Really was a joy to see that city get wrecked by robot samurais. Gonna watch this

Let's see where it goes, cast looks fun so far :toot:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I really like the animation in this thing!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Heck, gg is also rescuing this show from crappy 4chan subs? Good stuff.

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Wrong thread.

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 17, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
And this show just passed the 3 episode test with flying colors! I was especially impressed with how likable they got the little sister character, usually kids that age are terrible.

Also, never change angry mech pilot guy. "I'll let you off the hook this time out of respect for your bravery and poo poo." Tee hee.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You had me at Samurai Jack Fanfic. Now I have to look even though I never heard about it.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Third episode was a lot of fun overall. Once again, the peripheral members of the cast are actually competent and the authorities are taking care of business, while the protagonists are fun to watch. I also loved the scenes with the monk talking Tokisada down.

The boob grab scene was very disappointing, though. Hopefully she will get her revenge one of these days.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This show is good and I hope that it continues to be good.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
I demand imouto in the OP.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I really like how they're handling the man-out-of-time elements so far. Feels natural, and so far has complimented the story instead of bogging it down. I'm interested in where the story is going. "Sci-fi happened...in the past!" is usually real fun to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also taking on a mech with just your sword is always a totally baller move. It was awesome in Escaflowne and its awesome here.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just watched the first episode and this seems pretty cool; excited to see what's next as I catch up.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Lestaki posted:

Once again, the peripheral members of the cast are actually competent and the authorities are taking care of business
I gave a little chuckle when the SWAT team flash-banged the Samurai and then fast roped onto his mech while he was distracted by the Lady in the Box.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
This is basically the best out-of-nowhere robots show I've seen in ages. The closest I think of is Gargantia and already I'm feeling this show even more than that one. It's just wonderful and charming and already I like almost every character introduced when usually mecha shows struggle to make anyone who isn't always in a robot remotely interesting. I'm digging it and hope this show gets the attention it ought to (it probably won't).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyra_Solune posted:

This is basically the best out-of-nowhere robots show I've seen in ages. The closest I think of is Gargantia

How are either of them out-of-nowhere robot shows? They both have robots in the advertising, opening and within the first few minutes of the first episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

How are either of them out-of-nowhere robot shows? They both have robots in the advertising, opening and within the first few minutes of the first episode.

As in, an original work that's not part of a franchise, I guess?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

As in, the show itself came out of nowhere? Rather than the robots within the show being unexpected? Yea, I can see that and that I just wildly misunderstood the phrase. I would say that Gargantia at least had some fanfare, being an Urobuchi show, but I hang around on /m/ a lot, so that could very easily have exposed me to stuff Gyra_Solune didn't see.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah this is pretty cool so far. Loving the sword fighting mecha and the whole production in general, it looks, sounds, and moves great. The cast is very entertaining as well. I like that there's both giant and much smaller robots too.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Darth Walrus posted:

yeah that's what i meant. basically I didn't want to count the Gundams and Macrosses and...uh...Evangelion?

...actually there haven't been that many really high profile mecha shows in recent years, have there? So far the two most notable franchises of the 2010s behind those three (and Evangelion only had arguably its weakest movie yet for the decade) has legitimately been Fafner in the Azure and Aquarion and I don't know what to think about that.

i mean sure Valvrave and Cross Ange garnered attention but I'd argue that their reception perhaps spells that we will not be seeing much of them again

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeah that's what i meant. basically I didn't want to count the Gundams and Macrosses and...uh...Evangelion?

...actually there haven't been that many really high profile mecha shows in recent years, have there? So far the two most notable franchises of the 2010s behind those three (and Evangelion only had arguably its weakest movie yet for the decade) has legitimately been Fafner in the Azure and Aquarion and I don't know what to think about that.

i mean sure Valvrave and Cross Ange garnered attention but I'd argue that their reception perhaps spells that we will not be seeing much of them again

You're excluding Knights of Sidona (a good show) and the various Muv Luv spinoffs (less so) off the top of my head. After that you can argue about what constitutes high profile I guess but there have been no shortage of mecha shows in recent years.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There have been a bunch of attempts at making new popular mecha ip's in recent years. It is just that all of those shows have been deeply flawed, dull as dirt or intrinsically terrible. Kuromukuro is a good show with no caveats. Well, so far at least.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Kuromukuro feels more character driven show than plot/mecha driven show. It's working now, Samurai-kun and the MC are playing off each other well. I mean, huge events are occurring, we have some kind of alien invasion, and civilians are getting abducted, and it's all being played as no big deal. Instead, all the focus is on Kennosuke being a fish out of water from being warped forward in time.

I'm enjoying the show a great deal now, but there are just some things that don't sit right with me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

great animation, a non-worthless supporting cast in military sci-fi, good set design and funny jokes. i'm in
https://a.pomf.cat/hafnof.webm

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
updated op with the most powerful characters in the show

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this show is really fun

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

this show is really fun

Word.

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

I like how Koharu is considered the reliable one in the family.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Koharu is hilarious.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Good brand name.

I have difficulty believing Kennousuke is 17

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah i thought he was around 30 or so. i guess war ages a man (or they just gave him an age close to the girl for story's sake)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love that every time she sees him naked, she covers her eyes and then peeks anyway.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

escape mechanism posted:

Good brand name.

I have difficulty believing Kennousuke is 17

Nah, he does have a proper gawky-teenager face. He actually looks a little like one of the teenage characters from ATLA. It's only in the distant shots where he really looks much older.

• Locked thread