Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Koharu owns. She loves samurai dramas so her first reaction upon meeting a real life samurai is to gently caress with him whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I like how in the previous episode they do the "man out of time thinks there's tiny people in the screen" and Yukina is just all like "Oh come on can we just skip this part please?"

Kennousuke has a gently caress load of scars for someone his age, but I guess he's seen a pretty absurd amount of poo poo too.

I like how the show didn't just stop to introduce the whole supporting cast, but now we're sort of going back to get to know them through them having to be introduced to Kennousuke.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 1, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like how the little sister speaks in an old timey way for Kennosuke and how mixing foods together is an unbearable sin to him.

They are tiny seemingly inconsequential details that shows just how far back he's from.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like how the little sister speaks in an old timey way for Kennosuke and how mixing foods together is an unbearable sin to him.

They are tiny seemingly inconsequential details that shows just how far back he's from.

It's because it looks like poop :ssh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Curry is brown sludge with unidentifiable chunks in it.

I love how after tasting the spiciest thing of his life he just went for it, though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like how the little sister speaks in an old timey way for Kennosuke

I'm pretty sure Koharu does whatever the gently caress she wants, in this case talking like characters in the period dramas that she's a fan of. That a Real Actual Samurai is now living with her is just the world's best icing on the cake.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Started watching and caught up with this show. It's good.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Did I accidentally watch an episode of evangelion this week?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
MC is swole as hell and got in the robot: no

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Badly drawn demon face spam scene is prime dickbutt material.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gettin' some major Full Metal Panic vibes from this show.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Gettin' some major Full Metal Panic vibes from this show.

I was about to come in and post that.

it's as close as we're gonna get to S3

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Badly drawn demon face spam scene is prime dickbutt material.
I love how they were like "let's put it in the cloud" and then, like any proper private cloud implementation, unintended consequences happened organization-wide with no fix in sight

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

It kinda bothers me how these giant mechas are waltzing through the landscape with thundering footsteps, yet they don't leave as much as a faint indentation on the lawn
I mean, com'on, I know they've got gravity cancellation and whatnot up in those things, but I wanna see landscape wrecked by the daintiest of movements, as is proper for any giant mech!
On the upside, it's all but guaranteed that we'll get the ultimate wuxia move of standing on your opponent's outstretched blade, only with 40m tall robots, which makes it even better.

I like this show, nothing new, but super competent and charming! :toot:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i lolled when he made horsey noises

also for those that don't read the season thread, its a 2 cour show

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MJP posted:

I was about to come in and post that.

it's as close as we're gonna get to S3

I love how they were like "let's put it in the cloud" and then, like any proper private cloud implementation, unintended consequences happened organization-wide with no fix in sight

You know they're gonna make more FMP anime right? It was revealed a few months ago.

More on topic, this show is good but the robots are ugly.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Davincie posted:

also for those that don't read the season thread, its a 2 cour show

All P.A. Works shows are, I think.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This guy is great

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The character animation is so lively and fun and full of little details, it's so great.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Did you know that quote is not edit?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Charlotte wasn't, and thank goodness for that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Eh? A majority (or, at least, a very large number) of their works are one-cour. Check Wikipedia.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

a kitten posted:

Did you know that quote is not edit?

I'm glad anime is finally admitting it has a Nobunaga as an anime girl problem.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah I'm not a big fan of the titular robot's design. head's pretty ugly and the rest of it's not remarkable at all

but then, perhaps I'm just spoiled by how robots in recent years have been ridiculously distinct and identifiable. maybe they're just running out of head shapes and so 'cobbled together tom clancy goggles' was the best they could come up with

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

.Clash posted:

Did I accidentally watch an episode of evangelion this week?

They even had a classmate cam-cording everything, and now wants to watch the angels/mechas fight.

I am re-living almost 20 years ago watching the dub on late night television broadcast.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I kinda like the designs. Unconventional and asymmetric bodies with Scopedog-lookin' optics, and a ponderous gait that makes 'em just be Big and Weird.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This ep was cool. The robot fight was pretty good this time, even if i still don't like the designs much. Also glad the main plot has started moving a bit, although i hope the show still retains its sense of humor.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idiots!!! an ac-130 should never get that close!!!

also lol at the evangelion parallels

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Davincie posted:

idiots!!! an ac-130 should never get that close!!!

also lol at the evangelion parallels

Yeah, that was a suicidally stupid thing to do, literally even. Don't buzz the giant robot, even if it seems like it's ignoring you. :doh:

I actually really enjoyed the fights, especially how the UN guys were actually quite competent, hell, it seemed like they had a much smoother fight overall than the protags did.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, hands up now, did anyone fail to predict that twist at the end? :v:

Wonder if we've got a Macross situation here? You know, Earth humans being a backwater offshoot of a galaxy-spanning civilisation.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Wonder if we've got a Macross situation here? You know, Earth humans being a backwater offshoot of a galaxy-spanning civilisation.

I say we're going to Mars :colbert:

What's interesting is that they know the mecha, but aren't phased that it has been a few hundred years since it has fallen into human hands.
That cryostasis from episode one might be much more common.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Deploying your robots by firing them out of a railgun :black101:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Deploying your robots by firing them out of a railgun :black101:

It's a GAUS(S) gun.
A tardis one on top of that.

Those weird blocks sticking out of the back and rear end of the robots are missing on the Headless and Yellow Crab mecha, btw.
I guess that's the gravity control mechanism?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly it's refreshing that they got that twist out early. A bad show would've waited until almost the end to reveal the obvious.

It probably is a Macross situation. They're probably looking for some artifact left on the planet by their ancestors, and in the process picking up modern humans so they can study their relatives.

It would be interesting if from a war standpoint this is a minor conflict. Think about it: they sent like, what, 7 large geoframes and maybe 100 smaller ones? Hardly an army.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

That retractable robot arm was pretty cool. I also looked it up and apparently this is a 26 episode show, which is sadly a rare thing these days.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
just watched the most recent 3 episodes and

Davincie posted:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like it.

This week: Space Jerks and gyoza.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i have improved my power level by adding more characters to the op. this is probably the last edit the op requires because i can't really think of many other people who are that important

also did those two schoolkids just loving die

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Gyra_Solune posted:

i have improved my power level by adding more characters to the op. this is probably the last edit the op requires because i can't really think of many other people who are that important

also did those two schoolkids just loving die

It'd be kind of lame if they didn't, but

they probably didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would make logical sense for them to be dead, but narrative sense for them to be alive. normally they would have somehow ended up with the aliens, but the aliens didn't seem to have any source of information about earth. i dunno, maybe a third faction saved them? there is at least one survivor of the original scouting party.

• Locked thread