Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

no seriously it's basically just Samurai Jack but he has a giant robot this time

Tokisada Oumakennosuke - the samurai in question

Yukina Shirahane - some girl who happened to be in the area who coincidentally looks like the samurai dude's princess (this may or may not be coincidental)

Hiromi Shirahane - cool mom who works for UN science things. frequently forgets her phone and her daughter

Sophie Noelle - serious ojou. is on cover art thing, for some reason. might believe all japanese are samurai

Sebastian - butler for the above. is a master kung fu man on the side

Tom Borden - this goddamn rear end in a top hat is the most loving respectable son of a bitch you'll ever meet, you can take that and shove it up your rear end

Liu Shen Mi - helps guy above pilot robot. does not give one poo poo

Marina Unami - school advisor. flagrantly thirsty for our samurai friend

Oshou Yakushi - uncle who's such a dork that he wraps around to being the only normal person to the samurai

Koharu Shirahane - it's all smooth sailing on this titanic

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Lestaki posted:

Show is a lot of fun. I very much appreciated that the UN team defeated a robot using their reverse-engineered mecha while Mr Samurai was still trapped in a black cube and conventional military forces apparently defeated another offscreen. Always nice to see conventional forces actually achieve something without relying exclusely on the protagonist's folded steel space katana.

yeah that was a thing I noticed too, 95% of the time in a robot show everyone who's not in the main robot exists solely to get clowned upon to show how much better the main character is, but here it's established they're competent enough to at least fight back and accomplish something even if they're pretty outclassed. It's good

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
This is basically the best out-of-nowhere robots show I've seen in ages. The closest I think of is Gargantia and already I'm feeling this show even more than that one. It's just wonderful and charming and already I like almost every character introduced when usually mecha shows struggle to make anyone who isn't always in a robot remotely interesting. I'm digging it and hope this show gets the attention it ought to (it probably won't).

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Darth Walrus posted:

As in, an original work that's not part of a franchise, I guess?

yeah that's what i meant. basically I didn't want to count the Gundams and Macrosses and...uh...Evangelion?

...actually there haven't been that many really high profile mecha shows in recent years, have there? So far the two most notable franchises of the 2010s behind those three (and Evangelion only had arguably its weakest movie yet for the decade) has legitimately been Fafner in the Azure and Aquarion and I don't know what to think about that.

i mean sure Valvrave and Cross Ange garnered attention but I'd argue that their reception perhaps spells that we will not be seeing much of them again

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
updated op with the most powerful characters in the show

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah I'm not a big fan of the titular robot's design. head's pretty ugly and the rest of it's not remarkable at all

but then, perhaps I'm just spoiled by how robots in recent years have been ridiculously distinct and identifiable. maybe they're just running out of head shapes and so 'cobbled together tom clancy goggles' was the best they could come up with

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i have improved my power level by adding more characters to the op. this is probably the last edit the op requires because i can't really think of many other people who are that important

also did those two schoolkids just loving die

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
and now those two further reinforce the fact that they are Literally Toji and Kensuke from Eva by how Literally Toji is trying to get into a giant robot

don't do it, Actually Toji died from that D:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
those quarry workers must have stunningly bad eyesight

like it's one thing for the security personnel to be sort of bad, i can kinda get it? they're heavily armed but not much more than well-equipped night guards, probably the most they actually do on their jobs is making sure schoolkids don't wander into military hardware, so it makes sense for them not to know what the hell to do when faced with a Solid Snake supersoldier mofo

but goddamn he was pointing that assault rifle at those quarry guys for a solid minute and pulling the trigger over and over and you'd think they'd notice what he was up to sooner

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Nondevor posted:

I figured that the princess was one of the aliens since she stole the relic, and her blood oath with Kennosuke was a large factor in allowing him to pilot the robot.

It'd be kind of nice if Ken was just a regular samurai, but I guess we'll see!

yeah this is what i'm thinking is the case. they'll probably build Ken up as something of a red herring when really it's more likely that it's Yukina who's the sleeper agent

in other news - did we just get this show's Char at the end there

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
well holy poo poo that was a lot more brutal than i thought it would be

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
guess we're taking back that :rip:

ALSO, how on earth did I not notice this two weeks ago, I can't believe Man At Arms even did this (though they were specifically poked by PA Works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q598DP27tGA

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Serious Frolicking posted:

my favorite part is how after they demonstrated how competent and knowledgeable they were throughout the entire crafting process, they looked like huge goobers when they started chopping things.

i like to think that's sort of accurate for blacksmiths, like, they're just the dudes who make the sword, they're not the people trained how to use it!

but that's probably not true, i imagine in ancient times where you have bandits and thieves and poo poo more commonly running around, and the stuff you're making is ludicrously valuable and resource-intensive for the time, that weaponsmiths took the time to actually learn at least the basics of how to fend off ruffians and maybe hold their own against disgruntled professional soldiers

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
god one of the best things about this show is how well it keeps hooking me in. this is literally the only show I've ever seen where I'm 25 episodes in and I still am fascinated by where they're going with this, usually by this point pretty much everything's answered and the finale is a foregone conclusion. but even this far in we're still getting lovely moments of characterization and this is a perfect demonstration of that. the big finale has come and gone and now they're taking time to like, deal with that, and what the hell everyone is going to do with their lives afterwards

it's really great. gently caress this is a really good show. i'm going be so pissed if it just fades away into obscurity because it has all the hallmarks of an utterly fantastic piece of fiction that only ever achieves cult classic status, kind of like Gun X Sword and stuff like that.

like when i made this thread even it was mostly under the pretext of 'hey i basically have an amusing thread title for a show that is kind of fun, why not' and it's just kept surprising me

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Lurking Haro posted:

Yukina and Kennosuke will stay at highschool age forever thanks to nanomachines.

anime will do everything in its power to not star adults, drat it all

• Locked thread