Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Well, shiver me timbers, ol' Master 'Orkins has made a match of this. From 9-1 to 10-7 is pretty drat impressive. Still a long way to go, but it's no embarrassment from here however it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Deteriorata posted:

Well, shiver me timbers, ol' Master 'Orkins has made a match of this. From 9-1 to 10-7 is pretty drat impressive. Still a long way to go, but it's no embarrassment from here however it goes.

12-11 now,. Absolutely crazy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tsaedje posted:

12-11 now,. Absolutely crazy

Equally crazy: McManus beating Higgins 13-11. McManus hasn't reached a ranking semi in ten years and it's been more than half his life since he did it in the World Championship.

Even more interesting is that with that win, we're now guaranteed to have an unseeded player in the final for only the fourth time this century. Only two qualifiers have ever won the title at the Crucible - Shaun Murphy in 2005 and Terry Griffiths in 1979 - but Ding Junhui at least has a very good chance of being the third.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
McManus looks totally shot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

McManus looks totally shot.

Doesn't surprise me. He hates being called a veteran but he's not young, it's the longest tournament of the season, he's had no easy matches and he just had to win four on the skid to beat Higgins. There's only so much you can do in one fortnight.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Never seen that before. Fu's tip just broke off as he was chalking it. Hope this doesn't affect him too much. He was starting to hit his stride.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Well, that was an odd frame. A bit of Alphonse and Gaston, there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ding and McManus have equalled the record for centuries in a Crucible semi-final. In the first two sessions of four.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Bloody hell that final frame was tense

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

Bloody hell that final frame was tense

No kidding. I really thought Fu was going to get it when Selby gave away 20 points, but then he got them all back again.

Who do people fancy for the final? Selby has the past form, but I think Ding is playing better on the whole.

Alice Klar
Apr 13, 2016
I think Ding is the favourite - Selby has been looking tired and ragged his past few matches while Ding has been winning quite comfortably.

I'm more confused about who I want to win. Generally, I'll root for the underdog and the chance for a new champion - the first of his race, even - is appealing but Christ, did it have to be Ding Junhui? He has no personality. My wife theorised that he's China's latest advancement in robot technology. Against a guy so noted for his sense of humour, it shows all the more starkly.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ding should really win it. He's been playing the best, and has been getting better with each round.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Selby 6-0 up. Welp.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Never underestimate the pressure of having a billion people's expectations riding on you

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

He's clawed back to 8-6 now. Really playing well now

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

This 15th frame has been absolutely nuts. The strategic positional play is the best part of snooker.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lol at The 17th frame. Both players look absolutely dead on their feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

HappyCamperGL posted:

Lol at The 17th frame. Both players look absolutely dead on their feet.

I did wonder if Ding was going to just say "gently caress it", write it off, and come back tomorrow.

• Locked thread