Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Problem description: Unable to connect to wired network after installing Windows 10

Attempted fixes:
Uninstalled/re-installed the latest network drivers
Reset IP from automatic back to manual, then again back to automatic to refresh it
Disabled/re-enabled the network drivers via Device Manager
Disabled/re-enabled DHCP client via Services
Disabled IPv6
Ran flushdns * ipconfig renew
Updated Windows 10

Recent changes: I just recently built a new machine. I had a copy of Windows 7 which was able to connect after some initial trouble, but after resetting the router, was able to connect fine to the home network and the internet. After this was resolved, I upgraded to Windows 10; during the upgrade I chose the "keep nothing" option. This is basically a new machine.
--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Version 1511 (10586.218)

System specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
CPU: Intel i5 6600k
GPU: Nvida GTX 970 4GB
HD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO (250 GB)
Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws4 2x8 GB DDR4

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I've been googling this issue (roommate hooked me up with a wireless dongle so I can at least get online to resolve this) and so far the Microsoft help forums have been kind of a waste. Most of the help involved restarting/installing drivers or resetting the IP address. I've done this a few times without success. My initial install of Win7 also had some networking issues, but resetting the router and then disabling/re-enabling the network drivers was enough to resolve that. It was this subsequent upgrade to Win10 that has kicked me offline.

Additionally, when I run ipconfig /renew, I get an error "unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out".

sulphix fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you have a valid Windows 7 license then why not just do a clean install of Windows 10 instead? Windows 10 accepts Windows 7 license keys, and installing 7 only to upgrade to 10 seems like a rather Rube Goldberg approach. If the same behavior persists with a clean Windows 10 install then at least you know it is a issue with Windows 10 rather than a symptom resulting from the upgrade process.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Aight, I'll try a clean Win10 install via the Recovery option, see if the issue persists past that. Don't think I could've done a clean Win10 install initially, I only had installers/keys for Win7 & 8.

EDIT: Well, that fix was embarrassingly simple. Re-installing Win10 resolved it. Thanks!

sulphix fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 16, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
You can also do a clean Windows 10 install with the Media Creation Tool. It'll download Windows 10 and you can let it boot from a USB drive or you can burn it to a DVD. It was about 3.3 gigs in size for me. And like it was said above, you use your Windows 7 key and it'll activate once you do hopefully get internet access.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Glad that sorted it out. Generally speaking, a clean install is always preferable to anything else, and since the Fall refresh the Windows 10 installs taking Windows 7 and 8 license keys has made that easier.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Well, after rebooting the PC for the second time (installing updates/apps) this problem has come back, pretty much the exact same as before. Getting the same errors and everything. Gonna try going through the same trouble-shooting steps, but really really don't wanna have to potentially re-install Win10 each time I restart the PC...

Also, my DNS server always comes up as an empty value when I run ipconfig /renew or ipconfig /all. Not 0's, empty. Found some threads online about general "Win10 no DNS server" but have yet to come across a solution that works.

sulphix fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 19, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5496#bios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I ended up getting a spare network card from our IT guy at work, solved this for about a week now without issue.

• Locked thread