Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Ridley "Nohman" Hardiman posted:

Since the dawn of history, humanity has realized various forms of energy. Civilizations have progressed with them. So where does such energy like Metatron lead our civilization?

TIME FOR AWAKENING . . .

Zone of the Enders is a high-speed mech combat action game produced by Hideo Kojima that is mainly known for being bundled with the demo of Metal Gear Solid 2. This is a bummer because while it took until the second game for the series to find its voice, Zone of the Enders is a cool as hell action game series couched in weird voice direction and poor localization. Note that this is not a bad thing, it simply transforms it into a playable 80s anime with a hilarious dub.

In this LP, we'll be playing through the Zone of the Enders HD collection, a poorly made port that essentially killed the franchise and caused the third game in development to be canned. The collection is messed up enough that I'll be playing two different versions. ZOE1 runs better on the Xbox 360 version, and ZOE2 runs better on the PS3 version. If you have to choose between these two platforms, the PS3 version is the one you want. Zone of the Enders 2 is the better of the two, and the PS3 version is the definitive version of the game after it got patched.

VIDEOS

Zone of the Enders:

Episode 1: Voilą! .....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 2: Quantum SOS.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 3: The House of ADA.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 4: Bulbous.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 5: Anubis.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash

Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
Episode 1: IT'S...DINGO.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 2: You stay away from me!.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 3: Who is that stranger?.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 4: I do not comprehend......Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 5: Weird Things.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 6: Correct the Direction.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 7: Find another way!.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 8: I'm glad, Dingo......Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 9: The Obstinate Ones.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 10: A Normal Body.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 11: A Perfect Slaughter.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Episode 12: Planet Zoradius.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash

CHIPOD IRONICAST
April 2016 - Dailymotion.....Libsyn.....Download
May 2016 - E3 2016.....Libsyn.....Download
June 2016 - Summer.....Libsyn.....Download
July 2016 - Pokemon Go.....Libsyn.....Download

HISTORY HONEYS
Podbean RSS iTunes Stitcher Google Play Music

STREAMS
The PS4 Theme Store
Ratchet and Clank Part 1
Ratchet and Clank Part 2
Even More of the Awful PS4 Theme Store
DOOM Stream
Brave Fencer Musashi Stream
Parasite Eve Stream

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Time to see you go through Zone of Enders 1 again. The original LP was good at the time, but I am very excited for one with Ironicus.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
It's the will of Mettaton to watch this LP.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proposition Joe posted:

It's the will of Mettaton to watch this LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Oh1pSEWCE&hd=1

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I asked in the last thread but never got a clear answer: As someone who has recently gone through everything ZOE, would it be ok for me to post about the sidestory stuff and how it interacts with the main two games when the time comes?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sure, go ahead! I'll be mentioning that stuff in videos as well since I've watched all of that stuff, but it doesn't hurt to have somebody go into it in detail.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

For the longest time, I thought this logo was a stylised eye. It took this thread for me to realise that, no, that's a planetary system because space.

In hindsight, I'm not even sure how that was a mistake that I could ever even make.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Dragonatrix posted:

For the longest time, I thought this logo was a stylised eye. It took this thread for me to realise that, no, that's a planetary system because space.

In hindsight, I'm not even sure how that was a mistake that I could ever even make.

What if I told you, it could be both?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't there a random spinoff game for the GBA?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

General Ironicus posted:

A logo being two things at once? Madness.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

General Ironicus posted:

Well, now you're just being silly.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

yeah, it was called fist of mars. It was pretty fun, although far too easy.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

Droyer posted:

yeah, it was called fist of mars. It was pretty fun, although far too easy.

speaking of which
you can read Scintilla's SSLP
umm..i would say spoilers, but its actually more like clarity, almost a contrapositive Kojima game

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 17, 2016

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Man, I remember being amazed by this one from a graphical standpoint when I played it back in the day. Just watching the lights move down Jehuty's grooves and thinking about how amazing that was, compared to the palette animations from (for instance) Sim City 2000. Also, flying with your legs on the ground and seeing the little sparks that came out.

It's nice to see this game in HD. Now it looks as nice as I remember it, even though of course it didn't look this nice in 2001.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

New Chip and Ironicus LP already?!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aw, yeah. I liked Watching_Dogs as much as the next guy, but hoo boy is it going to be nice watching you guys play game that's dumb in endearing ways again.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Aw yeah, ground floor for this. ZOE is great, though that's mostly 2.

The first one's a decent foundation though.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Oooh, these games were so much fun and I hate Konami forever.

Kojima, please, make use of your new freedom and give us something like this again!

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
I really enjoyed the first game but admittedly only bought it for the MGS2 demo. I never bothered looking up the 2nd, but from the sounds of it I am going to enjoy watching your playthrough of it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I have never, ever gotten the "I told you, didn't I?" line. Who is he saying it to? What did he tell them? What triggered him to ask that question? I imagine it's something that got way lost in translation, but I still cannot make heads or tails of that line, and I've been playing this game since before the sequel came out.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

kalonZombie posted:

I have never, ever gotten the "I told you, didn't I?" line. Who is he saying it to? What did he tell them? What triggered him to ask that question? I imagine it's something that got way lost in translation, but I still cannot make heads or tails of that line, and I've been playing this game since before the sequel came out.

I think it has something to do with terraforming.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I forgot how hauntingly simple that intro song is — all Ghost-in-the-Shell:y.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

kalonZombie posted:

I thought he was saying that about how going to the Church is dumb and it's just delivered really badly.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

They were working on an alternate AI for Jehuty called A.I.D.E.N. but it just flat-out ignored pilots half of the time. Whenever the pilot didn't want to kill, it would do it anyway and then muse on its actions and how unavoidable they were but just and heroic. Also it kept trying to get a hat made for its giant robot head.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am going to be posting in this thread so much I hope you are all ready to hear Celvice 10000000000000000 times.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

bobjr posted:

I thought he was saying that about how going to the Church is dumb and it's just delivered really badly.

This is what I've interpreted the line as, too. At least there's some way of getting meaning from this line, there's a couple way later on that are just completely indecipherable.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Magnetic North posted:

Also, flying with your legs on the ground and seeing the little sparks that came out.
Not only sparks, you leave behind little scar lines where you've been skating before they're magically patched up.

In the sequel those lines get even more detailed.

... Why yes I have just skated around in circles looking at it because that's how good these games are.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've never played Zone of the Enders, but I've heard a lot about it and so I'm happy to see an LP of it. Bonus points that it's Chip and Ironicus!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Rirse posted:

Its an interquel for the series, trying to give perspective and background on the second game, and doesn't really feature anything directly related to the main games until the stinger, which only makes sense if you know the main villain's full name, IIRC.

How it puts things into perspective is mostly through power levels. Enemies that you can literally kill like two dozen of in one shot in the second game are actually a threat and need to be killed individually there. The enemies in the tutorial of one that Chip beat in like a combo each while Jehuty had basically gently caress all in terms of active combat ability? End game enemies that are on near equal footing with the game's special snowflake Orbital Frame that drives the plot. It proves there is a drat good reason why people are fighting over Jehuty so hard.

E:Oh, and the first boss here also shows up there, in a way, just renamed.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 17, 2016

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I did originally play ZOE1 just so i could check out the MGS2 demo back in the day, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out how fun it was. The last area kicked my rear end though, but it's been years since I played it. Definitely looking forward to seeing the end of this game and Second Runner.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dragonatrix posted:

It's also available as a (back) patch part in MGSV. Looks quite nice with the FOX (front) emblem.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I think it is worth bringing up that this game is basically Hideo Kojima's Mobile Suit Gundam 0079. Pretty much the entire structure of this story is heavily taken from the first episodes of the original Gundam series, just more dark and violent and with a worse protagonist. Hell, even the "rival" character is piloting a red orbital frame (though she is missing the mask to properly be a Char). Really, this is probably one of the big reasons this game feels so 80's anime.

Xeldor
Jul 28, 2012

The Least Annoying "X" Name
Having never played ZOE, truly interested in seeing this updated let's play. If it isn't too spoiler-y to mention (being that it wasn't brought up in your original let's play) can anyone tell me what the effect of having the church destroyed is? If nothing else, is it a minor thing, like a change in dialogue down the line? This game doesn't seem (to me as a looker-on) that it would have a drastic change due to something so small; by the same token there's no telling when Kojima is involved, no matter how large or small.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I'm just glad that C&I have moved on from Watch_Dogs to what can only be a better game and a better game experience.

It's at least a better medium for jokes according to the Viola/Voilį and the "Oh he was right, god really IS dead" jokes.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I really hate the cutscenes in this game. It's like the wrote all the dramatic scenes but then forgot to write anything in between them so you don't actually care about anyone. Within the first three minutes it shows Leo's friends all get murdered and I'm supposed to give a poo poo about him already. I don't think I've ever been more tempted to just skip all of a game's cutscenes in my first playthrough than in this one.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

ZoE is easily one of my favourite game series of all time. So glad it's getting a nice shiny LP. :3:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Chip Cheezum posted:

This is what I've interpreted the line as, too. At least there's some way of getting meaning from this line, there's a couple way later on that are just completely indecipherable.

THE BASIS OF A PROGRAM!?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I really hate the cutscenes in this game. It's like the wrote all the dramatic scenes but then forgot to write anything in between them so you don't actually care about anyone. Within the first three minutes it shows Leo's friends all get murdered and I'm supposed to give a poo poo about him already. I don't think I've ever been more tempted to just skip all of a game's cutscenes in my first playthrough than in this one.

Leo is probably one of the most annoying kids to ever fall into the cockpit of a giant mech. The game is fun to play, but never did I wish pain on the person you play as more than him.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hostile V posted:

They were working on an alternate AI for Jehuty called A.I.D.E.N. but it just flat-out ignored pilots half of the time. Whenever the pilot didn't want to kill, it would do it anyway and then muse on its actions and how unavoidable they were but just and heroic. Also it kept trying to get a hat an iconic cap made for its giant robot head.

Fixed.

And I think that A.I. went to the other Super Protoype,because if Gundam taught me anything,the second unit almost always goes to the villains. If that is the case,him and A.I.D.E.N. are gonna get along juuuuust fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Brainamp posted:

Leo is probably one of the most annoying kids to ever fall into the cockpit of a giant mech. The game is fun to play, but never did I wish pain on the person you play as more than him.

I definitely prefer the protagonist from the 2nd game. The fact that his name is just two animals shoved together makes it better.

• Locked thread