Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Oooh, these games were so much fun and I hate Konami forever.

Kojima, please, make use of your new freedom and give us something like this again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Zortzico posted:

Don't forget the Gundam classic names such as: Paptimus Scirocco, Jamitov Hymen, Quattro Bajeena, Bright Noa, Sleggar Law, Lockon Stratos, Kacricon Cacooler... well there's lots.

I like Gundam a bunch and i've seen tons of it's influence in ZOE already.

Excuse you, it's Quattro Vagina.

And, on that subject, how you could forget about FULL FRONTAL!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Chip Cheezum posted:

Help me Dingo, I'm stuck with a cargo of freight!!! Please come here now, before I become dismal!

Just checked the JP version and the word used there is 鬱陶しい which can mean, among other things, gloomy/dismal (as in, someone's mood)... buuut, depending on the context, it can also mean annoying.

So, yeah, the translators looked up the first definition and went with it without checking anything else.

The first video wasn't TOO bad but this one had quite a handful of moments that got me twitching. :argh:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Uuuuurgh, how did people get paid for this localization?! :tizzy:

It's all so stunted!

And I just know that those "With Jehuty's speed" or "This Vic Viper can do it" bits were なら phrases in the Japanese script - translating those the way they did is the mark of a machine translation.

The gameplay is so amazing and I loved it as a kid (still do) but, goddamn, is this game triggering me now.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

How would you have translated those phrases, incidentally? Assuming you're right about the source material, of course.

There's only one playthrough I found of the JP version (Konami being Konami, I imagine they keep a tight grip on copyrighted material) and it's got neither of those two lines. However, I did find a wiki detailing this. The convo at the start of the battle with the NARITAs goes like this:

ADA: 敵、ナリタ。可変型高機動フレームです
Dingo: だがジェフティのスピードなら

ADA's line was translated just fine. She IDs the enemy as a shape-shifting, very agile unit. The point of Dingo's line is that Jehuty still has the superior specs. So, why not, instead of the literal translation, he simply answers with something to the tune of "But they've nothing on Jehuty's speed" or whatever?

At least that actually sounds like something an english-speaker would say.

As for Leo's in-combat line... I've no idea where the translators got the "can do it" line. Neither the video nor the wiki show case anything that could, even remotely, be read as that. Comparing the HD version to the old one, however, I see that many lines have been rerecorded (some of the old ones were better translated, imo). I can't find the altered JP script, though.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Chip Cheezum posted:

Speaking of those stories that happen between ZOE1 and ZOE2, you can still find those on ZOE2's website. In here you can read about how Rock Thunderheart died and how he was a pretty poo poo pilot compared to a 12 year old:

Blast Rockgroin doesn't need any stinking robots. With a name like that, you give him a truck's worth of guns and send him to single-handedly infiltrate and destroys Aumaan! :black101:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Hell, yeah, Musashi was one of my favorite games as a kid and I pretty much knew it all by heart!

It was just so jampacked with fun and stuff to do for a PSX game. I reckon I still have the disk tucked away somewhere... maybe I oughta play it once more for that sweet nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Lotish posted:

My wife and I got introduced to Gundam with Wing and G-Gundam was such tonal whiplash we never bothered again.

Wing was my first, too, but after you watch others, you gotta appreciate G Gundam for its Un-Gundam-ness.

There's no tormented protagonist, no princess of peace or any of that jazz. It's just kung-fu bots with people yelling like crazy - with Gundams!

If these series were food, G Gundam would be a big bowl of your favorite ice cream.

Plus, the soundtrack is pretty hype.

• Locked thread