Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Sweet cruiser.

Am I assuming right that 3.4L n/a diesel means you've got a 3B under there with a H55F transmission? If so, then 'sup engine, trans, and paint code cruiser buddy?

How does the side of your transmission housing look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

You see my transmission in this picture? The large flat area right behind the bellhousing dropped a 1/4" thick sheet of rust when I started cleaning. It held up to pressure washing but sounded dangerously thin when I took the needle-scaler to it. I've seen several where there's a hole or a nice big crack on that flat part.

E: Also, how is your fuel-shutoff setup? Since my 3B was taken from a 70 and dropped into a 45, I have a shutoff cable I have to pull on, but it doesn't reset. I've never actually seen what it is supposed to look like because I doubt zip-ties and blobs of weld are what Toyota did.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 18, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I thought I was subscribed to this but I only just caught up on the last 48 posts.

Thanks for the pictures of your fuel pump, that looks like a mess of parts I don't have on mine and I'm probably just going to fab up a small bracket to use a spring for holding the pump open.

Also, what's all this nonsense about swapping out a perfectly good 3B? You know our engine is nigh-on indestructable, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuSf9IBw6lg&t=330s 13 years and all she needed was a battery and a helping hand to hold the fuel pump open. I'd like to see a gasser do that.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
When a 3B dies, Valkyries descend from above to take it to Vahalla.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Ah, I've heard of those, haven't seen one before.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I too am leaning towards "bad glowplug" and would suggest you peruse this thread on mud about which plugs to use: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/which-plugs-should-i-be-running-b-2b-3b-h-and-2h-diesels.471567/

Replace all four.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The control unit varies, from nothing at all, or a little bit of resistive wire that gets red hot, or then there's superglow which uses 6v plugs, etc. That's why I linked that thread on mud.

gimp, if it wasn't for the fact you said adjusting the idle helped significantly, I almost want to tell you to pull the head and take a look at the prechambers. Assuming the plugs are the correct ones for your 3B's setup, I'd almost be inclined to think there's a crack in one of your prechambers (it happens), that seals up once the engine's to temp. Crushers (prolific cruiser mechanic) once showed me a 3B head with all four cracked so badly they were threatening to drop chunks into the cylinders.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That sounds like a happy 3B.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Abusing? That sound coming from under the hood is just the engine screaming "MORE! MORE!"

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's just marking its territory.

Can't you just get a remanned pump from that slightly larger island to the west? All the ones I see on ebay come from there.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Oh, right. Yeah, that's not the one I found when searching "toyota 3b injector pump" on ebay, whole pump for $1200 AUS tho. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toyota-3B-diesel-fuel-injection-pump-/370591382095

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I was just thinking, have you checked the diaphragm? If it's damaged, it might explain your rough start and idling problem, and possibly the fuel leak.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Alternatively, you can ignore it and buy Start Ya Bastard by the case.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The best thing about having a 2L is that you have an easy job of removing the motor to put in any other slug Toyota diesel.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

gimpsuitjones posted:

"apparently" it's "illegal" to remove your sway bar. balls

also failed WOF on cracked windscreen and excessive vertical play in tie rod ends.

Get replacement, install for inspection, take it off after and keep it until next time. Maybe let it sit outside so it rusts and the mechanic doesn't get suspicious about a sway bar that stays perpetually new.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

gimpsuitjones posted:

My gearbox (like presumably all H55Fs) has a leak between the transfer case and the gearbox where all the oil migrates from one to the other then starts leaking out.

Great, another thing to worry about. I don't think I've seen any leakage on mine.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Slavvy posted:

Are you 100% certain it's a 24V truck and not just a 12V one that has two batteries in parallel? Cause 100 series, prado etc all have two batteries for the extra CCA but are still 12v; 24V gives no benefit to cranking at all because that's largely dependand on your amperage.

Land Cruisers equipped with a 3B came in both 12V and 24V. I think it has more to do with the glowplugs than anything. There's three or four different glowplug setups and one of them involves like 24V to overdrive the plugs.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Toyota called it superglow I think. 8v plugs for 12v and 16v plugs for 24v iirc. There's a thread on ih8mud about it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
All I really know is most 3B owners up here want 24V but most of us have 12V for our motors and the bits to convert are as rare as hens teeth here, and come to think of it, I think it's because of easier winter starting.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Are you running the stock 3B manifold with the turbo or did you get/are you getting your hands on a 13BT one?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm really interested in how it turns out. How much boost are you thinking?

E: Also, if you happen to have a 13BT manifold I know a guy who wants one and his clutch booster is on the other side of the engine from the exhaust so he has oodles of room...

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 11, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, I don't think you can really go much past that before you have to change the internals. 6-8lbs is what people here who turbo their 3Bs run.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
More poke for modern freeway driving is p.much why I'm interested in it too.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, but that $17k savings is gonna be more than enough for diff locks. Save your body, I couldn't save mine. :smith:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
OEM e-lockers here are more like $5k each for new ones. Used ones are hard to come across.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think for OEM lockers you just have to cut a notch in the mounting flange on the axle housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, 67" chevy rear leaf swap then? That's what some people do here.

• Locked thread