Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceighk
May 27, 2013

No Hospital Gang, boy
You know that shit a case close
Want him dead, bust his head
All I do is say, "Go"
Drop a opp, drop a thot
Eeny-meeny-miny-mo
Mirrorshades by Bruce Sterling is pretty much the definitive short story anthology, some solid stuff in there. I always think of Ballard as having a pretty cyberpunk vibe, both in some of his sci-fi and even his later literary fiction. Something like High-Rise falls outside the genre in a lot of the specific details but it definitely has a cyberpunk feel to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I'm a guy who loves Gibson but finds most of the work that came after him pretty derivative. What's more interesting to me is what came before Gibson.

I recommend Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by PKD, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison, Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami and Roadside Picnic by the Stragatzky Brothers. I also think Down and Out In The Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow, and the Transmetropoliton comic by Warren Ellis are great reads. I also believe the short fiction of Bruce Sterling is worthwhile, especially Our Neural Chernobyl.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Apart from his fiction, check out Gibson's article on Singapore from the very first issue of WIRED from1993:

http://www.wired.com/1993/04/gibson-2/

"You guys have Shonen Knife?"
"Sir, this is a music store." :v:

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

God Of Paradise posted:

I'm a guy who loves Gibson but finds most of the work that came after him pretty derivative. What's more interesting to me is what came before Gibson.

The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner. The protagonist is a hacker on the run in a dystopian future. Published in 1975, the hero's big skill is he can punch a new identity up for himself on a touch-tone phone. And this was holy poo poo when it was written.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On the subject of "cyberpunk to avoid" absolutely do not ever under any circumstance read Vurt. Holy poo poo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

precision posted:

On the subject of "cyberpunk to avoid" absolutely do not ever under any circumstance read Vurt. Holy poo poo.

Okay, I'm curious. Why not?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Based on the synopsis, it sounds like the usual indecipherable crap-babble that some hack authors mistake for good writing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Vurt owns, despite autocorrect trying to turn it into Butt. Read Vurt.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

Based on the synopsis,

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Telsa Cola posted:

Okay, I'm curious. Why not?

It's the height of 90s edgelord fiction. It's like Snow Crash with far less of a sense of humor. It fetishizes teenage incest between a brother and sister. It has a tribe of Rastafarian cyberpeople who grow their dreadlocks together when they get married. Etc etc etc.

Honestly I'm with the guy who can't really stand any cyberpunk that's post-Gibson/Sterling though so whatever.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I was around to hop on the "reading cyberpunk and thinking it's way cool" bandwagon before Snow Crash came out and that book sort of ended the genre for me.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

precision posted:

I picked up the (a?) sequel Pollen having never read or heard about the series.

It was... something. It also had early on sexualisation of a young teen girl. :(

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Just finished kill process - it's pretty good if you like more near future hacking heavy sci-fi.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Mike McQuay, wrote the adaptation of the film escape from new york, also has a future noir detective series, 4 books, Matthew Swain is the lead. They are all fun and full of blade runner-esque cyberpunk. 5 stars.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Edit wrong thread!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

God Of Paradise posted:

I recommend Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by PKD, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison, Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami and Roadside Picnic by the Stragatzky Brothers. I also think Down and Out In The Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow, and the Transmetropoliton comic by Warren Ellis are great reads. I also believe the short fiction of Bruce Sterling is worthwhile, especially Our Neural Chernobyl.

I'm seconding the recommendation for The Stars My Destination (also known as Tiger Tiger in Britain) I finished it this morning and its great. It was written in the fifties but most of the big names from the 80's cyberpunk circles cite it as an inspiration, including William Gibson. It has a violent anti hero, who comes from the gutter, a solar system carved up by corporations and brutal police forces have a limitless reach, and its ending is the most anti authoritarian in tone and message I've ever read.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

precision posted:

"You guys have Shonen Knife?"
"Sir, this is a music store." :v:

Whoa, googled and they will be in town next week!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Is cyberpunk still even a living genre? It's so 80's it hurts.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah but you have to read it in shadowrun source books now

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Danger posted:

I think to some extent once you remove the 80s veneer and the silliness of stuff like decks, we're pretty much living it.

Gibson definitely tries to address this in the Blue Ant trilogy but I'm not really sure he succeeded, they kind of fell flat for me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Danger posted:

Have you watched Person of Interest? It's on Netflix.

We're basically living in a cyberpunk world right now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baka-nin posted:

I'm seconding the recommendation for The Stars My Destination (also known as Tiger Tiger in Britain) I finished it this morning and its great. It was written in the fifties but most of the big names from the 80's cyberpunk circles cite it as an inspiration, including William Gibson. It has a violent anti hero, who comes from the gutter, a solar system carved up by corporations and brutal police forces have a limitless reach, and its ending is the most anti authoritarian in tone and message I've ever read.

My favorite thing about the book is that character is driven solely by spite. He doesn't care about all those conspiracies he accidentally unravels, all he cares about is that a spaceship didn't pick him up when he's marooned in space.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I've said it before, but for my money Bester's work has aged better than by far the better portion of his contemporaries. The Stars My Destination and The Demolished Man both have better characters and prose and tighter plots than anything put out by Asimov or Clarke.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

An Apple A Gay posted:

Mike McQuay, wrote the adaptation of the film escape from new york, also has a future noir detective series, 4 books, Matthew Swain is the lead. They are all fun and full of blade runner-esque cyberpunk. 5 stars.

The Matthew Swain books are absolutely solid noir books that just happen to take place in a cyberpunk dystopia. I should re-read those. Everyone else should dig up sued copies of the little-known cyberpunk classics.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

hot date tonight! posted:

I think to some extent once you remove the 80s veneer and the silliness of stuff like decks, we're pretty much living it.

Gibson definitely tries to address this in the Blue Ant trilogy but I'm not really sure he succeeded, they kind of fell flat for me.

Eh, a deck is just a cool word for a hacker laptop:

brb, going to start calling my laptop my deck now.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

Have you watched Person of Interest? It's on Netflix.

We're basically living in a cyberpunk world right now.

Especially when you factor in the rise of VR, we're living in the Cyberpunk future, but with better fashion and less dystopia.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dystopia is on the rise, we're almost there!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Can't wait for my pink mohawk

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Danger posted:

You see less cyberpunk these days, I believe, because the world caught up to it and we all realized we're not cut out to be the anti-establishment antihero protagonists the genre idolized. It's hard to find the enthusiasm in it when for the most part we are the wage-slaves and salarymen our heroes held in contempt.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Still waiting for the arcade version of the 'shoot kennedy' game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Cyberpunk as a discrete genre might be dead but you see elements taking from it cropping up in many places. It reminds me of thrash metal in that respect.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The TV show MR ROBOT is pretty cyberpunk. Lots of hacking, and even has a strung out protagonist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rough Lobster posted:

The TV show MR ROBOT is pretty cyberpunk. Lots of hacking, and even has a strung out protagonist.

Eagerly awaiting season 3 when Elliott loses the ability to hack.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

precision posted:

Eagerly awaiting season 3 when Elliott loses the ability to hack.

As long as he has a cell phone he can do most of his hacking.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45
The Avery Cates series by Jeff Somers certainly starts as cyberpunk. it has the oppressive world government, massive class divide and total corruption. Uploading and the issues it causes are also major plot points. The later books do slide a bit out of the genre as it gradually moves into an apocalyptic and then post-apocalyptic setting. This is certainly a change from other cyberpunk books where the idea of a static society and world that is too monolithic to be moved by anything seem to be the norm.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alhazred posted:

My favorite thing about the book is that character is driven solely by spite. He doesn't care about all those conspiracies he accidentally unravels, all he cares about is that a spaceship didn't pick him up when he's marooned in space.

Revenge is surely one of the most classic themes in all of world literature.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Groke posted:

Revenge is surely one of the most classic themes in all of world literature.

Second only to trying to bang your mom. Third is, like, trying to bang someone NOT your mom, a cousin maybe.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Literature criteria: Banging, mom optional

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ceighk posted:

Mirrorshades by Bruce Sterling is pretty much the definitive short story anthology, some solid stuff in there.
Most of Bruce Sterling's short stories and novels are cyberpunk as gently caress - even the ones which are about a phone phreaker ripping off quarters from COCOTs outside laundromats in the early 90s and hanging out with a gun-toting middle-aged russian emigrant woman who hates him. Some of his prose is really beautiful, I'm especially fond of Taklamakan, and the ending of his novel Holy Fire. Make sure to read A Good, Old-Fashioned Future and GLobalhead before you read Zeitgeist, because Lekhi Starlitz is a great character and you should get his arc in order.

Paolo Bacigalupi's The Water Knife is also pretty cyberpunk in a Mad Max sort of style.. It has a lot of resemblence to Heavy Weather by Bruce Sterling, in which it's set in the post-apoc USA and white rural people are seen as an ignorant and disgusting minority group who rove around in mobs breaking and looting and stealing everything in sight.

I don't really consider it necessary to have cybernetic implants and laser eyes and skul-guns though, to be true cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is about beating the system by bucking it and hacking it with the tech available at-hand, whether it's a nitrous-huffing hippy environmentalist or a ex gun-runner smuggling abortion drugs for a japanese girl band or a rich old aristocrat who undergoes an experimental rejuvenation process and suddenly breaks with society's norms and laws.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Most of Bruce Sterling's short stories and novels are cyberpunk as gently caress - even the ones which are about a phone phreaker ripping off quarters from COCOTs outside laundromats in the early 90s and hanging out with a gun-toting middle-aged russian emigrant woman who hates him. Some of his prose is really beautiful, I'm especially fond of Taklamakan, and the ending of his novel Holy Fire. Make sure to read A Good, Old-Fashioned Future and GLobalhead before you read Zeitgeist, because Lekhi Starlitz is a great character and you should get his arc in order.

Paolo Bacigalupi's The Water Knife is also pretty cyberpunk in a Mad Max sort of style.. It has a lot of resemblence to Heavy Weather by Bruce Sterling, in which it's set in the post-apoc USA and white rural people are seen as an ignorant and disgusting minority group who rove around in mobs breaking and looting and stealing everything in sight.

I don't really consider it necessary to have cybernetic implants and laser eyes and skul-guns though, to be true cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is about beating the system by bucking it and hacking it with the tech available at-hand, whether it's a nitrous-huffing hippy environmentalist or a ex gun-runner smuggling abortion drugs for a japanese girl band or a rich old aristocrat who undergoes an experimental rejuvenation process and suddenly breaks with society's norms and laws.

I'd say that the retrofuturism of "straight" or "classic" cyberpunk goes beyond the technology involved. Many of the underpinning themes like late capitalism, the end of history, and technological determinism seem dated from a post 80's perspective.

Interestingly, while some of cyberpunks goofiest aspects (e.g. organized crime that's an amalgam of 1920's bootleggers and the Yakuza) come from cribbing from directly from film noir, it's also where it gets some of its most enduring. The concept of a world divided between rich and poor, a poor divided among ethnic and factional lines, and a protagonist who does not cleanly fit into any group or ideology is common even in postcyberpunk.

• Locked thread