Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
The tone dissonance between the situation and their demeanor also kinda bothers me but for the most part I'm digging the plot. GuP's sports aspect was fun but it's great to see some variety and it's been a long time since I watched Infinite Ryvius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Command Ant posted:

I think that u-boats really deserve their own series, provided they get their own sub-obsessed Yukari analog.

Desu Boot

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Command Ant posted:

I think that u-boats really deserve their own series, provided they get their own sub-obsessed Yukari analog.

Well, I just think u-boats should be in everything because they are objectively the best. It's a shame there was only one good episode in Arpeggio of Blue Steel actually about actual submarine awfulness with actual tension and drama but admittedly it was really good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Submarine warfare lends itself to horror tropes in ways that surface warfare doesn't quite manage which is cool.

I think what I like most about the current drama is just how inexplicable the plot is. In Gundam we have some dudes huddling about a map explaining their motives; here we have absolutely nothing. In fact the explanation the girls have "She's just mad and is firing at us to teach us a lesson and is just a drill." Sounds pretty much exactly what the tone of the show implies until suddenly there's a mystery thriller a foot.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This has so much potential to either go incredibly wrong or right.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Submarine warfare lends itself to horror tropes in ways that surface warfare doesn't quite manage which is cool.

I think what I like most about the current drama is just how inexplicable the plot is. In Gundam we have some dudes huddling about a map explaining their motives; here we have absolutely nothing. In fact the explanation the girls have "She's just mad and is firing at us to teach us a lesson and is just a drill." Sounds pretty much exactly what the tone of the show implies until suddenly there's a mystery thriller a foot.

For the girls who were initially there to just learn about boats, being fired upon was an inexplicable thing so their assumptions of the teacher being mad and firing on them because of it or being fired upon because it was a drill seemed to make some logical sense. Obviously, as viewers, there's more to it than that, but to them there's not much to go on and the Captain is basically trying to soldier on through with the most optimistic view possible. The secretary (iirc) is probably more on the money than everyone on the ship thinks even though it sounds so crazy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

We never got any real confirmation whether the ship they fired a torpedo at did sink (as home base claims) or just slowed down (as the girls themselves report right after hitting), did we?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Well, we did see the ship leaking fuel and the girls fired the torpedo under the assumption it was a training torpedo but apparently it was a live torpedo (?) which just adds more to the conspiracy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zettace posted:

Well, we did see the ship leaking fuel and the girls fired the torpedo under the assumption it was a training torpedo but apparently it was a live torpedo (?) which just adds more to the conspiracy.

A live torpedo would've broke the ship in half. :mil101:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Unless it was a US torpedo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd guess it being a faked impact. The plan being to goad the ship into returning fire at the lead ship and then set off a charge our something to make it look like a direct hit.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Maybe some plot against Munetani's mom, since her daughter is on the ship. She's the principal isn't she

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

lets hang out posted:

Maybe some plot against Munetani's mom, since her daughter is on the ship. She's the principal isn't she

I would love for this to be true at a minimum.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I would love for this to be true at a minimum.

I'm pretty sure that is a significant chunk of what's going on here. Fake a testing error that gets an important official's daughter sent onto the crappy ship for the dropouts, and then kill them all and frame them for mutiny, disgracing the entire family. Maybe someone's got a different and more sinister vision for the Blue Mermaids?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This has so much potential to either go incredibly wrong or right.

Honestly even if it goes horribly wrong, I can't see this not being really fun to watch anyway.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm pretty sure that is a significant chunk of what's going on here. Fake a testing error that gets an important official's daughter sent onto the crappy ship for the dropouts, and then kill them all and frame them for mutiny, disgracing the entire family. Maybe someone's got a different and more sinister vision for the Blue Mermaids?

I really hope that it's this.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I signed on for cute girls driving warships, if we're getting bonus conspiracy stuff then all the better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first couple of episodes gave me a Bodacious Space Pirates vibe and I hope it ends up being even half that good.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Put this off because I was worried this was going to be a wannabe-GuP. This is great.

Sakurazuka posted:

The first couple of episodes gave me a Bodacious Space Pirates vibe and I hope it ends up being even half that good.

I hope it ends up better because I felt space pirates really dropped the ball after about the halfway point, except for the race.

e: Giving high school students keys to unlock live ammo, on a ship with no adults, means there has to be a reason even outdated training ships on their crew's maiden voyage are issued live ammo. This should be a really fun ride.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 21, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Underappreciated post.

Desuwa posted:

Put this off because I was worried this was going to be a wannabe-GuP. This is great.

Honestly, I was hoping it'd be Girls und Kriegschiffen.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Episode 3 has a submarine! We get a tiny clue to the conspiracy aspect too. The profound isolation of the ship only encountering hostiles is a pretty neat aspect of the setting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Haifuri: The Hunt For Moe October

They've been playing up how automated these ships are. Given what the German girl said in this episode, odds on the villains hijacking the automated systems out from under their human crews?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmmm... sounds possible.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm not sure if I like the "Cute teenagers doing slice-of-life poo poo against an impossibly serious backdrop," genre or the "Cute teenagers actually doing impossibly serious poo poo with slice-of-life stuff there to relieve the tension," genre more, but I'm happy regardless.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

Haifuri: The Hunt For Moe October

They've been playing up how automated these ships are. Given what the German girl said in this episode, odds on the villains hijacking the automated systems out from under their human crews?

Didn't they say that it was the crew who suddenly stopped obeying orders?

Does the Nurse girl always speak in Haiku's or something?

I suspect stuff hits the fan next episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Didn't they say that it was the crew who suddenly stopped obeying orders?

Does the Nurse girl always speak in Haiku's or something?

I suspect stuff hits the fan next episode.

If they were in different parts of the ship, there might not be an immediately obvious difference between 'crew stops obeying you' and 'ship stops obeying you'. If it was going for the systems, that would also provide a better explanation of how the Harakaze's newest addition was able to escape without being mindjacked or whatever.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

guess that was a training depth charge :mmmhmm:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

That's a lot of LOST ships. Some seem to be in pursuit of the ones the school still has ears on?

And they said this was going to be a fluffy girls in ships series.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Electronics being out on the Spee would explain why the smokescreen worked so well and their accuracy was so poor, at least.

Seems like the German school has the same conspiracy going on? Wouldn't be surprised if they're targeting "old" naval families or promising cadets. The captain of the Spee and Wilhelmina were probably some of the best students at their school, and Munetani is probably the reason the Harekaze is being targeted.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Musashi is having the same mutiny the Spee had. Munetani screwing up her answer sheet probably caused the antagonists to have to improvise because they expected her to be in Moka's shoes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

u dont have to spoil something that already aired guys

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Davincie posted:

u dont have to spoil something that already aired guys

I think it's okay to put this week's episode into spoiler tags. There's no disadvantage to it, and it prevents people from accidentally spoiling themselves on it.

Still, I want one of those I-201s for Silent Hunter, if it does 20kts underwater I wonder how quick it is on the surface. 21kts is the max speed of the Type-VII surfaced., it takes days to get from one end of the Kiel Canal to British coastal waters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean, new episodes air Saturday afternoon so i'd question why anybody who hasn't seen the ep would be reading the thread at all.

anyway, the ep felt kinda light on non-serious stuff, but the sub battle was cool and learning that the mutiny may have to do with something able to manipulate people/electronics is totally different from the more standard conspiracy i expected.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lets hang out posted:

guess that was a training depth charge :mmmhmm:

so looking at this map, about half the ships are marked lost. now the mc's ship the harekaze obviously is still doing ok so it doesn't have to mean they were sunk. the mc's friend's ship, the musashi is also marked as lost. so im guessing the lost ones are all the ones that mutinied? maybe also sunk or where they where there electronics were taken over by something. note also that there was a boy sitting up on top of the submarine in the last shot where you saw it (who knows how he got there immediately, can't have been there long). im guessing captains are being locked out of their systems and their ships are being taken over

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

lmao mei stop thinking about firing poo poo at poo poo all the time

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
A laughed at submarines being an all boys thing♂

Also I expected the sub to actually explode since men are always fodder in these kind of shows.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

lmao mei stop thinking about firing poo poo at poo poo all the time

can't stop won't stop

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Oh, so that underwater glider thing is a seamine-sweeping tool. Makes their strategy is more ridiculous.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Zettace posted:

Oh, so that underwater glider thing is a seamine-sweeping tool. Makes their strategy is more ridiculous.

Those were developed as mine sweepers but they were also used as anti-submarine weapons. Explosives were strapped to them which detonated when they or the cable made contact with a submarine.

Other than a healthy dose of luck/plot armour nothing in the show so far has been unbelievable. The smoke donuts actually happened too, though it didn't end up working in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That makes sense.

I googled そうかいぐ and got this: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AD%E3%83%9A%E3%82%B5%E5%9E%8B%E4%BF%82%E7%B6%AD%E6%8E%83%E6%B5%B7%E5%85%B7
which only mentioned it's anti-mine capabilities.

• Locked thread