Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Haifuri: A sports anime with live ammo, mutinies, and toilet paper science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

...and mind control rage not-hamsters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, you know, sports anime

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sports anime, yes.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh yeah I forgot, they Upgraded their main guns ala World of Warships! :D

Fun thing, those guns are in WoWs, but not on any current IJN destroyer in the game. But them being able to easily slot them in on a Kagero-class is actually historically accurate - the twin-10cm Type 98 turret was designed to be a flat drop-in replacement for the older twin-12.7cm Type 3 turret and was planned as an upgrade for all IJN destroyers using the 12.7cm turrets. It wasn't implemented during the war because IIRC they all went to Taihou, Oyodo and the newer Akizuki-class DDs. Well, it wasn't implemented during the war - the Taiwanese actually did refit IJN Yukikaze/ROCS Tan Yang post-war with a set of 10cm turrets after receiving her and the guns as part of the reparations. :eng101:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Magni posted:

Fun thing, those guns are in WoWs, but not on any current IJN destroyer in the game. But them being able to easily slot them in on a Kagero-class is actually historically accurate - the twin-10cm Type 98 turret was designed to be a flat drop-in replacement for the older twin-12.7cm Type 3 turret and was planned as an upgrade for all IJN destroyers using the 12.7cm turrets. It wasn't implemented during the war because IIRC they all went to Taihou, Oyodo and the newer Akizuki-class DDs. Well, it wasn't implemented during the war - the Taiwanese actually did refit IJN Yukikaze/ROCS Tan Yang post-war with a set of 10cm turrets after receiving her and the guns as part of the reparations. :eng101:

I'm glad the girls are ready with their high-angle mounts, for all of the enemy aircraft in this show

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Eh, develop an AP shell for it and the 10cm would beat the old Type 3 in the anti-surface role between the higher muzzle velocity, accuracy and way better rate of fire. It's just a flat-out better gun outside of the insane barrel wear.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Just caught up on this show, with the last ep now the poo poo post tag makes sense.

I thought this was much better than it deserved to be till the rage virus or supernatural or whatever reveal. If it was this cute high school girls anime with a dark political element that would have owned now its just eh. We'll see.

Best girl is very much in the air between medical officer, lookout girl, and chief engineer.

Worst girl is easily weird voices secretary girl

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
this show has taken a turn for the weird

what the hell is going on

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

this show has taken a turn for the weird

what the hell is going on

Mind-controlling hamsters being fired out of 18.1in guns. Welcome to Anime Ravenholm.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
For anyone wondering if this show was going to be as realistic as Girls und Panzer, the answer is a definite "not really."

Reposting this because Minami is definitely the best character.

http://i.imgur.com/esAHvYg.gifv

Gonna dissect a psychic mouse like a boss.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Mind-controlling hamsters being fired out of 18.1in guns. Welcome to Anime Ravenholm.

I assumed that they simply swam from the Musashi to its attackers during the battle. I'm not foolish enough to rule out psychic rodent artillery, though.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure that's not what happened. Seems more like the newly-arrived reinforcement group was already infected.

Also, Moka seems to have at least kept live ammo out of the grasp of her crew, and shut down central fire control. Hence the rather meh gunnery of the Musashi, her main rangefinder not turning and he instructor ships not getting horribly wrecked on a hit.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Shooting down incoming shells with your own shells is utterly ridiculous and by far the least believable thing in this show. I can accept the EMP rage virus gerbils but not that.

Misaki really didn't show acceptable decision making this episode. Didn't she see what happened to the last person on one of those hydroplanes around an infected ship?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Desuwa posted:

Didn't she see what happened to the last person on one of those hydroplanes around an infected ship?

Yeah, they got a cake out of it.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Fellis posted:

I will fight you.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Fellis posted:

I thought this was much better than it deserved to be till the rage virus or supernatural or whatever reveal. If it was this cute high school girls anime with a dark political element that would have owned now its just eh. We'll see.
Here's a new take for you. What if the twist is that this is all taking place within a video game, and the mice are the sociopathic 12 year old pubbies engaging in TK because they can't hit anyone who expects to have to dodge?

quote:

This sentence couldn't possibly be more wrong.

On another note, the translation was phoned in again. Who the hell calls the cooking staff the "Budgeting team". "Provisioning" or "Logistics" would make some sense, but "budgeting"?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

On another note, the translation was phoned in again. Who the hell calls the cooking staff the "Budgeting team". "Provisioning" or "Logistics" would make some sense, but "budgeting"?

How about the use of "Pinched by Musashi" in the title? Sadly the episode didn't involve the ship turning into a robot and squeezing a destroyer with its fingers. They've leaked the meaning
of the word Japenese borrowed from English back, and the result is no longer English...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm really bummed that this is going away at full steam away from the political angle; that would've made this show great, its a bit of an unfair bait and switch really, but on the other hand there's enough that's catching my interest as being basically World of Warships: the Anime that I'm not going to dislike it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I want to shake the captain and crew until they begin to make decisions that make some amount of sense, then I want to shake everyone involved with this show. I'm just going to keep shaking them.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

The best part is.. on a ship with a large crew, I can imagine the rice cooker failing would be quite an issue. I can't imagine what cooking enough rice the hard way would be like.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You just use a pot and some water.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Zettace posted:

Is that what you're going to tell rice cooker's family when they find out their son's not coming home?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

mpyro posted:

toilet paper is serious business.

It really is.:haw:

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Zettace posted:

Yes, this is how I cook my rice at home. But I'm doing a cup at a time.. I can't imagine doing enough to serve a crew of a ship and not end up with half the rice stuck to the bottom of the pot, or worse, burnt.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The burnt rice actually forms a protective crust that protects the rest of the rice.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The genetically modified virus rats are the dumbest loving thing.

I'm not sure I enjoy the saccharine life of the crew anymore with the conspiracy aspect being such a wet fart. Why care about the plot when they will obviously survive despite no significant help from the mainland? The mine troubles they faced this episode were particularly dumb. What happened to going back to port ASAP?

I'm disappointed that this isn't as fun as Girls und Panzer.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Haifuri: A sports anime with live ammo, mutinies, biological weapons and human experimentation

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

brainwrinkle posted:

I'm not sure I enjoy the saccharine life of the crew anymore with the conspiracy aspect being such a wet fart. Why care about the plot when they will obviously survive despite no significant help from the mainland? The mine troubles they faced this episode were particularly dumb. What happened to going back to port ASAP?

I half expect they intended to go full Hunt for the Red October and then were forced to back out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My boyfriend and I started watching this just because of the absurdity of this thread's title. I was kind of hoping for a civil war or something else that was political but a lot of our entertainment comes from kids (badly) running a WWII destroyer so we're going to see this through.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

brainwrinkle posted:

Girls und Panzer was a solidly written sports anime with the moe slice of life stuff stuck on top. This show is leaning way harder on the cute girls doing cute things aspect.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This is less a sports anime with battleships and more a military drama with battleships. Both have the requisite CGDCT veneer though.

So the rats have virus that's transferable to human that makes them go berserk and have EM-jamming properties as well.

The more I watch of this anime, the less I care about the background plot. The CGDCT on a ship aspect is fine. It's just everything else which drives the plot. For reference, this is the Director, Yuu Nobuta's, second work. The previous work was for a series in 2014 and in between then, he's done Episode Direction. There's no "Writer" on staff it seems, so it might be the Director's original creation as well. The other credit that comes close to a creator credit is "Original Work" by Takaaki Suzuki who's done setting and military history advising as well as scripts for a bunch of other series like GuP, Strike Witches, Last Exile, Majestic Prince, and others. It might be that Suzuki pitched the original concept and got Nobuta to fill in the details which might be why we have this rather two headed series.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Okay, doc truly cemented herself as my favourite character this episode.

Best crazy scientist characer of the season.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 15, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BattleMaster posted:

My boyfriend and I started watching this just because of the absurdity of this thread's title. I was kind of hoping for a civil war or something else that was political but a lot of our entertainment comes from kids (badly) running a WWII destroyer so we're going to see this through.

There's something to the rag tag bunch of misfits tropes that's certainly endearing me to the series even if the plot has weakened.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Well this episode really didn't do it for me. I really enjoyed the earlier episodes but coming up with a minefield out of nowhere to forcibly drag out a moderate cliffhanger over two episodes wasn't a good call.

Turning up the fanservice, including a bath scene, and focusing more on the EMP rage rats leave me without much hope for the rest of the season. At least Minami ties into the rat plot and we got more Maron.

Mike didn't learn anything from her mistake, she makes the exact same bad decision but is louder and more forceful about it. Her only good decision so far has been befriending the cat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Desuwa posted:

Well this episode really didn't do it for me. I really enjoyed the earlier episodes but coming up with a minefield out of nowhere to forcibly drag out a moderate cliffhanger over two episodes wasn't a good call.

Turning up the fanservice, including a bath scene, and focusing more on the EMP rage rats leave me without much hope for the rest of the season. At least Minami ties into the rat plot and we got more Maron.

Mike didn't learn anything from her mistake, she makes the exact same bad decision but is louder and more forceful about it. Her only good decision so far has been befriending the cat.

Mike? The Captain? I dunno, I feel like there's something very TOS or TNG Star Trek about the show and I like it.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Magni posted:

Okay, doc truly cemented herself as my favourite character this episode.

Best crazy scientist characer of the season.

Same. Sorry chief engineer.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Mike? The Captain? I dunno, I feel like there's something very TOS or TNG Star Trek about the show and I like it.

Yeah the captain, not sure what corner of my brain I pulled Mike from. Maybe someone called her that in the show or I am going senile.

Bringing up Star Trek, she's more like Janeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Moeka calls her Mike

• Locked thread