Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Desuwa posted:

Yeah the captain, not sure what corner of my brain I pulled Mike from. Maybe someone called her that in the show or I am going senile.

Bringing up Star Trek, she's more like Janeway.

She's for sure leaning more towards a Kirk style captaincy than a Picard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm afraid my suspension of disbelief will be shattered beyond repair if they decide to mass-produce and administer an antibody isolated by a high school freshman in a shipboard lab without verifying it to the entirety of the school.

Ah, who am I kidding with "if"?

Anyway, german girl is still great:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I'm glad the captain and the deputy captain made up and are friends.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Holy poo poo I am so mad at that couple having rescuers risk their lives in search of a cat.

They didn't even keep the cat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Desuwa posted:

Holy poo poo I am so mad at that couple having rescuers risk their lives in search of a cat.

They didn't even keep the cat.

I'm glad for the plausible deniability of it at least that they didn't clarify whether it was human or not, "OMG SOMEONE IS STILL MISSING!? *Runs blindly in before confirming* Though I thought for sure that the name was a common name for dogs.

I thought I saw a corpse of a girl in the backdrop but I guess it was a doll; I don't think I'm ready for the show to turn that dark yet.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
She didn't even ask what the "person" looked like and where they were most likely to be. I'm going to have to put some of the blame on Shiro here.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Zettace posted:

She didn't even ask what the "person" looked like and where they were most likely to be. I'm going to have to put some of the blame on Shiro here.

She probably assumed the missing person looked like a person. Sure maybe she should have gotten a description in case there was more than one but when every second might count I don't blame her for taking off as soon as she heard that <name> was missing and that they were a "little one."

I can blame her a bit for taking her time with the cat but at that point it didn't matter much.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah if you're looking for a person in a place where no people should be you don't really need a description. The problem was that the couple used ambiguous or misleading language instead of specifying that they meant a pet.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm up to episode 6 and am really enjoying this show, but I need more of XO talking about how unlucky she is.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sylphid posted:

I'm up to episode 6 and am really enjoying this show, but I need more of XO talking about how unlucky she is.

You'll get your wish in Episode 7

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah if you're looking for a person in a place where no people should be you don't really need a description. The problem was that the couple used ambiguous or misleading language instead of specifying that they meant a pet.
"Help my child is missing!"
"Okay" *Comes back with a small boy*
"That's not my child! I have a daughter!"

Basically the searcher has no idea if they've found the correct person and not another survivor/straggler unless they have a description they can go by. With a description, they know the person they've found is not the one and they can continue the search instead of ending it there with the assumption they've found the right person.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 23, 2016

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I started watching the show thinking Misaki was among the most annoying protags I've ever seen.
Then the show progressed and I never changed my mind because good lord this girl shouldn't even be on a boat like this.

Luckily, someone else iterated on the many ways Misaki's being a screw-up of a captain! http://re-jinx.me/2016/05/11/misaki-a-poo poo/

quote:

1. Ignoring her mission issued by the fleet command.
2. Abandoning her ship and her crew in a hellishly dangerous situation where they need the captain’s leadership the most.
3. Doing so for personal reasons with no plan or chance of success.
4. Being such a waste of a crew that would hopelessly charge at a battleship to try to save their worthless commander.

I won’t be satisfied unless the show ends with Misaki being stripped of her rank and court martialed while Mashiro takes over as the captain like she drat well deserves.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I, too, am severely annoyed by the fact that this anime about high school girls piloting a battleship and fighting a conspiracy of psychic mice is not depicting a naval crew with complete realism. :jerkbag:

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

CryingAthena posted:

I started watching the show thinking Misaki was among the most annoying protags I've ever seen.
Then the show progressed and I never changed my mind because good lord this girl shouldn't even be on a boat like this.

Luckily, someone else iterated on the many ways Misaki's being a screw-up of a captain! http://re-jinx.me/2016/05/11/misaki-a-poo poo/

I pretty much agree Misaki is not very good at her job but the good news is the show is addressing that and in the latest episode Misaki actually confronted the weight of doing her job on the bridge while letting her subordinates take the lead in the field. Meanwhile Mashiro does the right things for the most part but is pretty demonstrably bad at inspiring confidence in people.

That guy is very upset though and should probably relax.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Blaming own failings on bad luck I'd also not a good leadership quality ;)

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Blaming own failings on bad luck I'd also not a good leadership quality ;)

Probably. It's almost like our co-protagonists are both flawed leaders who need to work together to overcome their weaknesses or something.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lestaki posted:

Probably. It's almost like our co-protagonists are both flawed leaders who need to work together to overcome their weaknesses or something.

:aaaaa:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They're probably just gonna get their ship sunk first

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Shiro actually has remarkable luck even if it looks like she's doing terribly in the short term. Her getting the scantron sheet answers off got her into the Harekaze and spared her the fate of the Musashi, and in this episode she banged her flashlight in frustration just in time for the Mermaids to hear her.

Also, Coco and Mina are the best. :allears:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zettace posted:

"Help my child is missing!"
"Okay" *Comes back with a small boy*
"That's not my child! I have a daughter!"

Basically the searcher has no idea if they've found the correct person and not another survivor/straggler unless they have a description they can go by. With a description, they know the person they've found is not the one and they can continue the search instead of ending it there with the assumption they've found the right person.

Yeah and in that scenario they ended up finding a missing person who wasn't reported yet so what's the deal?

edit: my point is, number of missing people is probably much more important information than descriptions of missing people in a sinking ship situation, since at that point no one is supposed to be below deck

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 23, 2016

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Because the search will end with the first person they find rather than it continuing until the actual person is found.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

No the point is that the searching should not end until no one is found below the decks and no one is reported missing, unless the situation gets too dangerous for the rescuers to continue.

edit:

*finds kid below deck*
"that's not our kid!" "oops our bad"
*drags kid back below deck where he will be swallowed by the waves when the ship gives out*
"good job everyone"

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 23, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BattleMaster posted:

No the point is that the searching should not end until no one is found below the decks and no one is reported missing, unless the situation gets too dangerous for the rescuers to continue.

edit:

*finds kid below deck*
"that's not our kid!" "oops our bad"
*drags kid back below deck where he will be swallowed by the waves when the ship gives out*
"good job everyone"

What? if they're going for a specific person and they find someone else, they rescue the person they discovered anyway.

And you're retarded, that's not how searches work. They aren't going to have an immediate head count in a hectic situation like that, and a stranded ship taking on water is always dangerous. Search and rescue people will risk their lives if they have specific information that there's someone who needs help, but they aren't just gonna wander around a sinking ship yelling "hello, anybody down here?" indefinitely.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 23, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

What? if they're going for a specific person and they find someone else, they rescue the person they discovered anyway.

And you're retarded, that's not how searches work. They aren't going to have an immediate head count in a hectic situation like that, and a stranded ship taking on water is always dangerous. Search and rescue people will risk their lives if they have specific information that there's someone who needs help, but they aren't just gonna wander around a sinking ship "yelling" hello, anybody down here?" indefinitely.

I like the show lends *just enough* to realism that we can argue procedure in ways similar to the Train anime.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

boom boom boom posted:

it was a joke and I was pointing out the absurdity of the idea that finding a missing person other than the person who was reported missing is counted as a bad thing

quote:

And you're retarded, that's not how searches work. They aren't going to have an immediate head count in a hectic situation like that, and a stranded ship taking on water is always dangerous. Search and rescue people will risk their lives if they have specific information that there's someone who needs help, but they aren't just gonna wander around a sinking ship "yelling" hello, anybody down here?" indefinitely.

durr, of course not dude, I said the search should continue until no one is reported missing (or it gets too dangerous), and that additional people found while searching should be brought back too

in which case number of missing people is much more important information than trying to remember physical descriptions of everyone who is missing

tl;dr: mashiro did nothing wrong and the couple shouldn't have used language that was ambiguous or misleading such that anyone could believe they were talking about a person, but all's well that ends well I guess

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 23, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BattleMaster posted:

it was a joke and I was pointing out the absurdity of the idea that finding a missing person other than the person who was reported missing is counted as a bad thing

No one is counting it as a bad thing. Nobody has said it's a bad thing.

BattleMaster posted:

durr, of course not dude, I said the search should continue until no one is reported missing (or it gets too dangerous), and that additional people found while searching should be brought back too

How are you supposed to know if you've got everybody reported missing if you don't know what you're looking for? "Welp, we got 3 reports of humans still trapped below decks, we found 3 humans below decks. Case closed, everybody go home" If you know who you're looking for, you can say, "We were looking for 3 little boys, we found a little boy and two little girls. Clearly, at least two little boys are still down there"

BattleMaster posted:

in which case number of missing people is much more important information than trying to remember physical descriptions of everyone who is missing

How the gently caress are they supposed to have an accurate count using your method of not asking for descriptions?

"That couple say their "little one" is still down there. That dude said he saw someone down there"

"Should we ask for descriptions to see if the person the dude saw was the couple's child?

"No time, there's two people trapped down there!"

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 23, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Okay so what do you even do in a situation where a couple dozen people are missing? Do you seriously get descriptions of every person that is missing? On a sinking ship?

I mean I guess if there's time to interview everyone and write that poo poo down and distribute it but come on

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BattleMaster posted:

Okay so what do you even do in a situation where a couple dozen people are missing? Do you seriously get descriptions of every person that is missing?

That wasn't the situation Munetami was in, was it?!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

boom boom boom posted:

That wasn't the situation Munetami was in, was it?!

No but I don't necessarily think that after doing a headcount and finding one missing person you necessarily need a description either

The whole thing was a shitshow but I don't think it was her fault

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I'm sorry but your waifu did in fact make a mistake.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BattleMaster posted:

No but I don't necessarily think that after doing a headcount and finding one missing person you necessarily need a description either

They didn't do a headcount! If they had, they would've known that no one was missing!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm a straight woman :ohdear:

if there's anything wrong with this show it's the lack of good husbandos

edit: I think they missed an opportunity with that all-male submarine tbh

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BattleMaster posted:

I'm a straight woman :ohdear:

Straight women can have waifus!

BattleMaster posted:

edit: I think they missed an opportunity with that all-male submarine tbh

They should at least get a spin-off manga

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

boom boom boom posted:

Straight women can have waifus!

Oh, dibs on the doctor then; unlike the others she is conspicuously good at her job and the fake-out with the antibody test or whatever was pretty great. Mashiro is kind of cute but is too pessimistic for me

quote:

They should at least get a spin-off manga

:yeah:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 23, 2016

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

:crossarms:

In good news: The Girls & Panzer movie blurays are out now, and it's awesome.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
You can complain about psycho plague mice and technical pedantry all you want, this was the most Girls & Panzer episode yet, and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That last scene though :stare:

• Locked thread