Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

King of Bees posted:

Just finished watching Leicester win another game after a visit to the carver. Drinking Tiger and now eating:

Which are indeed...delicious.

Safe safe bruv :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

King of Bees posted:

Just finished watching Leicester win another game after a visit to the carver. Drinking Tiger and now eating:

Which are indeed...delicious.

We need to base our citizen test on poo poo like this.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I move to London for two years in one weeks time and this thread got me mad depressed

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

bitmap posted:

I move to London for two years in one weeks time and this thread got me mad depressed

Do you have some below market rate accommodation set up. If so, you're sound. If not, my commiserations.

Also, I assume your avatar reflects your current emotional state.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Had pickled onion MM for breakfast today

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Skarsnik posted:

Had pickled onion MM for breakfast today

I had another bacon butty. :) at Waterloo station. Leaving tomorrow afternoon and I'll conclude this thread.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

are you having a nice time in the uk op?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

King of Bees posted:

I had another bacon butty. :)
You've integrated very quickly.

grizzle
Jul 18, 2007

Winner Winner
Chicken Dinner
I have really enjoyed reading about your adventure.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok, so I'm at Heathrow waiting to head back. I've resisted temptation to buy a bunch of OTC codeine pills.

My trip was great. Since it was mainly a family reunion type trip I didn't get to see a ton of sights. I did however meet a ton a great people and really should've prepared a note card about Donald Trump or Obama's visit here, two things I care less about but was asked about by every cabby and stranger it seemed.

People were very friendly and helpful. London, even with its own idiosyncrasies, was essentially any major city in the world. Expensive and crowded. But that was expected and we had a good time there.

The Midlands is gorgeous and the people super chill. Leicester is winning in football so that may have contributed to the general joviality of the place. Theres some cool roman ruins in town and a beautiful park not too far off where Lady Jane Grey used to live i guess? Went to a bunch of pubs and social clubs and had a pint put in front of me every time I finished one. Had some great beers and some boring ones.

The food was fine. Lots of meat and veg, but typically done well. I even tried English Indian food and while it was OK, I'm still not a fan. I did have some pizza from a local shop that was terrible though.

All in all, a great trip. Though very tiring due to meeting so many people, I've enjoyed every day in this country. It's really loving expensive though.

I'll leave this thread open a bit longer in case I'm missing anything or someone wants to chime in and then Ill shut her down.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh yeah, very worth the twenty quid to immediately get a local sim with a month of unlimited data, and plenty of talk/text. They sell them in vending machines as soon as your past passport control.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I am glad you enjoyed our country, King of Bees. If you didn't manage to watch Keeping Up Appearances you can find it online, I'm sure.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

glad you enjoyed the UK. It's not all completely horrible here. that's our national motto

im going to birmingham next month, wish me luck

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Pizza in the UK is very sub-par. Your best bet is to get it from a kebab shop and hope you get lucky. You know it's bad when Dominos is the pizza joint of choice for most townies.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dravs posted:

Pizza in the UK is very sub-par. Your best bet is to get it from a kebab shop and hope you get lucky. You know it's bad when Dominos is the pizza joint of choice for most townies.

brits don't seem to understand pizza but the innovation of garlic dipping sauce for the crust is borderline genius

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

glad you enjoyed the UK. It's not all completely horrible here. that's our national motto

I'm in Birmingham right now and my recommendation is: don't

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

brits don't seem to understand pizza but the innovation of garlic dipping sauce for the crust is borderline genius

wait is this not a thing elsewhere?

as long as it's not that papa john's 'special garlic' which afaict is just a mixture of butter and cum that was placed near some garlic one time.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

:rip:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Glad you liked it! Sorry to hear you didn't take to Indian food, but so be it I guess.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Birmingham has a bar called Tilt where the dude who owns it is a beer nerd. It also has pinball tables so is s good place to chill.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Quote-Unquote posted:

wait is this not a thing elsewhere?

as long as it's not that papa john's 'special garlic' which afaict is just a mixture of butter and cum that was placed near some garlic one time.

Again, this is a thing that was made popular by kebab shops and picked up by the bigger chains.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Asda does a good pizza for 3-4 quid which I'm happy with tbh

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
What is so hard about finding the restaurants run by the nationality of the cuisine you're eating ffs

I've been all over the States and Italy and still the best pizza I've eaten was at Franco Manca in Brixton market

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Dravs posted:

It's gotten much better in recent years, though. At least down in London. Chains like Franco Manca are raising the standard of good sourdough pizza. And placed like Voodoo Ray's are good for American style pies.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You didn't have much choice in the matter but your itinerary was basically the opposite of what I'd have recommended for a first time visit OP but glad you had an enjoyable time, you seem like a good sort of person for this kind of trip. Also there's a tendency here for almost the opposite of American exceptionalism, where we like to moan we're the shittest possible place and lose sight of a lot of what is good about this country, and you seemed to experience those qualities in our less salubrious parts.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
my favorite part about this thread is that the two most common pieces of advice were "eat at the chain restaurant" and "don't look at/talk to anyone." sounds like a great place, lol.

i lived in london for 2 year 20 years ago. i was a child and have great memories of the place, but wouldn't call my experiences "definitive."

lol, "for the crust"

do you even know about papa john's, son!?

"for the crust!?" smh.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Quid is so much cooler sounding than buck, I gather they are roughly equivalent words.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pizza from fast food '£5 deal' places is generally greasy poo poo that's fine for when you've been out getting hammered, but you can get perfectly excellent pizza from the plethora of Italian restaurants every town has. Getting good pizza in the UK isn't hard, it's just not as cheap.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

RaySmuckles posted:

lol, "for the crust"

do you even know about papa john's, son!?

"for the crust!?" smh.

i'm not really a pizzaman when it comes down to it. i just remember shortly after arriving in the UK i was presented with three dominos pizzas that apparently cost £50 and had these little pots of that sauce set in little cupholders in the box. It was the first time I felt like I was in a really foreign country and not just a run down version of Australia.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Franco Manco and Voodoo Ray's are both fantastic pizza. What's the joint across the street from Voodoo's that does pizza but tries to hard to put across a vibe which ends up with the place feeling like a dimly lit horror film set with Italian ingredients dotted about? The pizza menu was full of ultra wanky ingredients that shouldn't be anywhere near a pizza and completely lacking in any sort of classics. Full on hipster wankery.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

a giallo pizza joint sounds like the type of hipster wankery I could get behind tbh

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

King of Bees posted:

Leicester is winning in football
Lieicester *are* winning in football.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Pizza East is the name.

This photo doesn't even get near to how loving dark this joint is in the evening. Utter shithousery. Go Voodoo Ray's across the street, it's far less pretentious and they'll cook you whatever the gently caress you want. I'd actually forgotten the menu at Pizza East states you CANNOT change anything on the pizzas or indeed have have something that's not a pre-defined choice on the menu because "...believe us we've tried and it would interfere with the flavours we've created..."

Also the dude with the afro at Voodoo Ray's is permanently buzzed and is the nicest man in London by a long shot, more than happy to chat with you and help you select the best pizza possible.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I told you not to go to leicester op :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks everyone!

• Locked thread