Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm visiting the UK for about ten days. First London. Then the Midlands. Then London again. Any tips for my trip?

List of things I fear:
-shopping malls
-being underground
-ghasts
-???

I'm bringing:
-good shoes
-a raincoat
-a winning attitude

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
you're a pedophile now sorry op

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
dont go to the midlands op wtf is wrong with you

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Come to my house for definitely not murder

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
why would you want to visit the uk? I'm being 100% serious, the whole place sucks and London is one of the worst cities in the world

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

XMNN posted:

dont go to the midlands op wtf is wrong with you

No choice. Sorry friend.

vols bitch posted:

you're a pedophile now sorry op

I heard something about pig heads though??

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Come to my house for definitely not murder

OK as long as you promise.

Should I bring my metal detector to look for druid gold?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Make sure you say yes if someone offers you a jammie dodger it's the height of rudeness to refuse

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
Make sure you eat crumpets with marmite for breakfast

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People are gonna know you're from out of town if you have a good attitude.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

when you are in the midlands go to BIRDS THE CONFECTIONERS and buy any cake or pastry

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
unless you're arriving from mogadishu, be prepared for really lovely living/housing conditions, the average brit lives in a small, shoddily constructed, smelly carpeted allergen nirvana

some king probably killed all skilled craftsmen at some point, if grover moved there he would be making insulated staircases for the queen within a week

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

There are no guns in the UK so if you do that thing where you pretend your hand is a gun everyone gets frightened and will do your bidding

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

also in the midlands tell people you meet that they look really mardy today

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

UK fact list:

- The English have yet to discover a technology known as double pane windows
- All English houses must have a window above the kitchen sink
- In the morning children like to play a game of "jump the vomit" on the streets. You should also play this game to protect your shoes or "knacks" as they say in the UK.
- English houses are built poorly next to major railways so they gently vibrate during the night. Foreigners may find this uncomfortable at first but the brits can't sleep without it.
- Every drink and food in the UK has tons of grease because on average 65% of the human body is made of fat.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When in London, avoid eating in an Angus Steakhouse. They're this strange 70's throwback that survives on the custom of disoriented foreign tourists who assume it's a safe eating choice.

And I'd like to know why you need to go to the Midlands as well: literally the worst part of the uk.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm filling my notebook here!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Pistol_Pete posted:

When in London, avoid eating in an Angus Steakhouse. They're this strange 70's throwback that survives on the custom of disoriented foreign tourists who assume it's a safe eating choice.

And I'd like to know why you need to go to the Midlands as well: literally the worst part of the uk.

What's wrong with the Midlands? I've never been so I'm genuinely curious.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

King of Bees posted:

It's dead and depressing and has no proper jobs.

Admittedly, I grew up there and fled the area for the bright lights of the South-East, so I may be a little prejudiced.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

King of Bees posted:

it is a wasteland between the good bits

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

King of Bees posted:

its filled with people from the midlands

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's dead and depressing and has no proper jobs.

Admittedly, I grew up there and fled the area for the bright lights of the South-East, so I may be a little prejudiced.

Ah. My ninety year old former UK Navy sailor grandfather in law lives there and we're visiting him because he is awesome and hilarious. My wife is British and loathes the UK as does her whole family. Grandpa is the only family that remains there. Everyone else is all over the world.

I really want good fish and chips and a full English breakfast. Where should we acquire these?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
"Im going to the UK and i'm visiting *only places in england*" good job racist.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Svartvit posted:

"Im going to the UK and i'm visiting *only places in england*" good job racist.
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

King of Bees posted:

I really want good fish and chips and a full English breakfast. Where should we acquire these?

Any country in the world except the uk

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

UK fact list 2

- in the UK all measurement systems are equally valid. This can be highly confusing to anyone who has not grown up in a prison colony
- Most brits are left handed which has also caused them to drive on the left side of the road.
- The queen is the undemocratic supreme leader of the country and all englishmen must swear loyalty to her.
- Throughout history the brits have made numerous attempts to make their own cars. Generally you should wear a helmet and a protective vest when around or in them.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Has Space Jam been released there yet?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

King of Bees posted:

Has Space Jam been released there yet?

Only the dubbed version

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

kikkelivelho posted:

Only the dubbed version

Is it voiced by benidict Cumberland and Daniel Craig? :allears:

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Go to Stoke-on-Trent. It's a marvellous city full of beauty that could make a man weep tears of joy.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

King of Bees posted:

Any fish and chip shop you see people in for the fish and chips, for the full English breakfast you can scarcely do better than national source of pride JD Wetherspoons. Get it with a pint of lager at 9am on a Saturday, perfect.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

London is complete loving poo poo. Go to the peak district, dartmoor or the yorkshire dales or something.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

kikkelivelho posted:

UK fact list:

- The English have yet to discover a technology known as double pane windows
- All English houses must have a window above the kitchen sink
- In the morning children like to play a game of "jump the vomit" on the streets. You should also play this game to protect your shoes or "knacks" as they say in the UK.
- English houses are built poorly next to major railways so they gently vibrate during the night. Foreigners may find this uncomfortable at first but the brits can't sleep without it.
- Every drink and food in the UK has tons of grease because on average 65% of the human body is made of fat.
80% of this is completely right (especially the kitchen sink window which I would feel lost and confused without), but double pane technology is called double glazing and not only exists but is aggressively marketed with our most advanced techniques.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
read Daily Mail from cover to cover every day, periodically tutting and saying "unbelievable"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

things to do as an american in the uk:

- say the words 'wanker' and 'tosser' a lot because it's really funny when americans do that
- try a kinder surprise egg because it is the forbidden treat. attempt to smuggle as many as you can back to america where you can sell them for incredible profits and live like a king
- try not to laugh at the accents you hear in the midlands. it's pretty much impossible but try your best
- try real beer and please don't be alarmed that it isn't served at one degree celsius
- eat as much curry as possible because it is the national dish. it should be as spicy as possible.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

congratulations on going to a country where you don't have to walk in a zig-zag motion to avoid being shot

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Worldshatter posted:

congratulations on going to a country where you don't have to walk in a zig-zag motion to avoid being shot

Tell people that the USA is literally this dangerous if they ask. Say you've been shot multiple times and hold up your shirt to show them. Tell them you don't have scars because our bodies are so used to being shot, they heal without a trace. Tell them you've killed before like it is no big deal.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qPHsvGMQI

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Watch where the blokes in high-viz jackets go in the morning to locate the finest greasy spoon full english breakfast providers, for they hold this sacred knowledge.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Britain is the Dark Souls of countries. It's gray and miserable and everyone wants to stab you and the people who run the country actively want you to die, but some people like the challenge so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Quote-Unquote posted:

things to do as an american in the uk:

- say the words 'wanker' and 'tosser' a lot because it's really funny when americans do that
- try a kinder surprise egg because it is the forbidden treat. attempt to smuggle as many as you can back to america where you can sell them for incredible profits and live like a king
- try not to laugh at the accents you hear in the midlands. it's pretty much impossible but try your best
- try real beer and please don't be alarmed that it isn't served at one degree celsius
- eat as much curry as possible because it is the national dish. it should be as spicy as possible.

By spicy do you mean hot like American spicy or spicy like a slurry of all spices in the cupboard like Indian style (which I hate)?

What real beer would you recommend?

various cheeses posted:

Tell people that the USA is literally this dangerous if they ask. Say you've been shot multiple times and hold up your shirt to show them. Tell them you don't have scars because our bodies are so used to being shot, they heal without a trace. Tell them you've killed before like it is no big deal.

I'll bring a picture of my .357 and tell folks it's my daily carry.

dog days are over posted:

Watch where the blokes in high-viz jackets go in the morning to locate the finest greasy spoon full english breakfast providers, for they hold this sacred knowledge.

Thank you!

• Locked thread