Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The fact that people are suggesting you go to a Wetherspoons is depressing. England is home to the finest 'old man pubs' in the world in buildings older than the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

88h88 posted:

The fact that people are suggesting you go to a Wetherspoons is depressing. England is home to the finest 'old man pubs' in the world in buildings older than the United States.

they live in london what else do they have

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Listen up, I just practiced sayimg this: "Oh that's cheeky!"

What do you think? I leave in a few hours. I think I'm ready.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Nation posted:

where is the cyoa??

hold your horses, it's starting in may some time

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

basically like any cool and good city in the world london is great UNLESS you're a poor

anything north of highbury corner is 'the north' anything anyone else says is propaganda from the barbarous celts

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

hold your horses, it's starting in may some time

ok thanks :)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Nation posted:

they live in london what else do they have

The old mitre in Holborn?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

Listen there is so much old crap in this godforsaken country that he'll be tripping over stuff older than the US, especially if he goes to the bits of the country that the Germans didn't level.

'Spoons, or more properly "Spo'ns" is a fixture of modern life here.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

88h88 posted:

exactly

if you arent likely to run into ur old geography teacher in it im not interested

there are good pubs in london though, i like the chandos just off trafalgar square

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

im a midlands person

e:a mercian??

e2: do NOT go to wetherspoons op you will regret it

Phoon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 18, 2016

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Also Nottingham is fine and safe. Same as any city - don't go to the poo poo parts

Yeah, just stick with Radford and St Anns and you will be fine. Nice place to live

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Last chance: bring cowboy hat, bolo and snakeskins? Back 2Back World War Winners T-shirt?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Total Meatlove posted:

The old mitre in Holborn?

do they do good food?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
We don't have actual toilet paper here, we just get by on scraps of newspaper, so you'll want to bring a roll or two with you

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

King of Bees posted:

Last chance: bring cowboy hat, bolo and snakeskins? Back 2Back World War Winners T-shirt?

see if you can find a version of the pants and bandanna the Rex-kwan-do guy from Napoleon Dynamite wore- the reasoning articulated in that film is fundamentally sound

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

I'll pack them. But I may have to leave a few scarves behind.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LGD posted:

see if you can find a version of the pants and bandanna the Rex-kwan-do guy from Napoleon Dynamite wore- the reasoning articulated in that film is fundamentally sound

Dammit. Mine (all six of them) are at the cleaners and my spares are being loaned out.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

King of Bees posted:

Hell yes.

You'll get some high fives from any Brits and Russians you meet on a night with that tee.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I just had a sweet dental cleaning though. Like late last week.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

fly safe o7

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

jBrereton posted:

Hell yes.

You'll get some high fives from any Brits and Russians you meet on a night with that tee.

I hoping for a few free rounds of beer. :(

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nation posted:

fly safe o7

Thanks mang! Leaving in fifteen.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Don't go to weatherspoons pubs they literally are a pox on a thousand years of tradition. Depending on where in the Midlands you are hit up the Peak District if you can - it's reasonably near Nottingham (which has some amazing, ancient pubs in it and is basically the jewel of the Midlands). The Peaks are a nice, proper rugged English countryside experience. Ride the cable car in London, it will piss off the locals to no end and mark you as everything they hate. Hope this has helped.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
No such thing as a free round.

Enjoy yourself.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

DangerousDan posted:

Don't go to weatherspoons pubs they literally are a pox on a thousand years of tradition. Depending on where in the Midlands you are hit up the Peak District if you can - it's reasonably near Nottingham (which has some amazing, ancient pubs in it and is basically the jewel of the Midlands). The Peaks are a nice, proper rugged English countryside experience. Ride the cable car in London, it will piss off the locals to no end and mark you as everything they hate. Hope this has helped.

ya

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
americans did gently caress all in the first world war

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

DangerousDan posted:

Don't go to weatherspoons pubs they literally are a pox on a thousand years of tradition.
So is not getting polio. Let your hair down about it.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

jBrereton posted:

So is not getting polio. Let your hair down about it.

Also worth checking out on a once in a lifetime holiday - historic "Greggs" Bakeries, a fine English tradition. Embrace ur fuckin heritage son

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh yeah if you are in Nottingham check out Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, it's the oldest pub in the country and is built into a cliff face under a castle :black101:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

XMNN posted:

americans did gently caress all in the first world war

tbh that was the only real way to "win"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

is it true that arguments over whether Judas Priest or Iron Maiden is better often end in bloodshed?

it's Iron Maiden :ssh:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Convex posted:

Oh yeah if you are in Nottingham check out Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, it's the oldest pub in the country and is built into a cliff face under a castle :black101:

I want to go here. I just got to the airport and snagged some free beef jerky and cheese crackers from the USO.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Go to anywhere but a loving weatherspoons, what is wrong with you people??

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010
Obtaining and viewing all episodes of 'Monkey Dust' will provide a comprehensive and accurate overview of British culture before your visit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Skarsnik posted:

Go to anywhere but a loving weatherspoons, what is wrong with you people??

You know when people are whining that UK culture is in decline? It's because of people that think Wetherspoons is an acceptable place to go. It's just a complete lack of respect for themselves, it's sad.

We're better than that. :/

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lol what an idiot

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

LGD posted:

tbh that was the only real way to "win"

hmm good point

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

King of Bees posted:

I want to go here. I just got to the airport and snagged some free beef jerky and cheese crackers from the USO.

Ye Old Trip is great! Wollaton Park is also
a really nice Notts country Manor (about 15 mins from the City Center on the bus) - they have deer there.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

DangerousDan posted:

Ye Old Trip is great! Wollaton Park is also
a really nice Notts country Manor (about 15 mins from the City Center on the bus) - they have deer there.

Also i think thats where they shot the Wayne manor scenes in the Nolan Batman films, isnt it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

nottingham is cool and good

i've been to leicester twice and there was literally nothing there of value except one small bar that served me a burt reynolds possibly distilled from tanker oil and the molten core of the earth, i don't know where it was or if it's still there

it's not even a complete hellscape full of murderers with learning difficulties (see glasgow), it's just a big town with all the usual stuff and carpet warehouses that are in every english town, except with more muslims

• Locked thread