Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

here's a tip about england : "sorry" is englandese for "go gently caress yourself"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

don't come here

if you have to come to england just do whatever you have to do and leave without touching anything or talking to anyone

use the time you saved to go somewhere good

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

LGD posted:

are the UK politicians who are pedophiles proportionate to the UK population as a whole and the ongoing panic just everyone loudly overcompensating because they themselves are sexual deviants, or is it like a Catholic priesthood thing where they self-select into a sympathetic institutional structure? and if it's the latter, as the UK is nominally democratic, why does the UK citizenry keep electing them with such consistency?

everyone who's important in this country goes to the same couple of schools and they all know each other so it's probably just those guys screwing kids. i don't know why we keep electing them.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Nation posted:

where is the cyoa??

hold your horses, it's starting in may some time

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

SurfaceDetail posted:

I have distant family who live in England. Visited my second cousin. He makes about the same amount I do, 50kish, and he lives like I did in college. Its really sad. He can't afford anything better. I think there'd be riots if people knew really how cheap and accessible just basic poo poo is over here. His quality of life is really only a step or two socioeconomically above a dude making McDs his career.

yeah i came to England from Australia and unless you're insanely rich the standard of living here is lower than anyone with any job would have in Australia. The weirdest part is no one seems to notice or care about things like houses being as drafty as tents or mold crawling up the walls of even the most expensive places.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Quote-Unquote posted:

if you are rich and/or famous you should take advantage of the incredibly lax laws around rich people having sex with children and dead animals that have allowed the uk to prosper. they're not even laws really, just guidelines.

nb: if you're not rich or famous, or you're not white, do not attempt to have sex with children or animals. you can have sex with a greggs pasty but watch out, it might be hot!

lol if you try to survive in england without being at least two out of three of rich, famous and white

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

King of Bees posted:

Seeing some really impressive queuing going on at the coffee shop.

british people love a good queue

good to see you're getting the cultural part of the tour over with quick

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if you're going to museums your best bet is get out at south kensington tube and stagger around the museum district, most of the good ones are there

national gallery at trafalgar square is boss too. stay out of the tate modern, it's poo poo

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

XMNN posted:

dont go to brew dog

dont go to wither spoons unless you try all the other pubs in the area first and you think you might get stabbed (it will go v quiet when you walk in also there will probably be a flat roof and the beer will be carling or bitter that's gone sour)

Brew dog is good when it's not busy. Just get there early and leave when the first person with an ironically waxed moustache shows up. Also bring a lot of cash because they will bugger you through your clothing when you go to settle the tab

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Beige posted:

Look for a pub you can't see inside of and watch a football match there (3 pm Saturday is good). It's genuinely fascinating to people-watch and I'm a native.

britain's not really one of those countries. if people think you're gawking at them you might get a punch in the face (still do it, it's fun)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

So the UK is like a game of civilization gone too far-- where my pikemen defended cities are razed by tanks in 1750

yes but our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

madey posted:

Sneak off to Nandos if you get a chance. I recommend the medium heat sauce.

this is what is known as a "cheeky nandos"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Revenants Return posted:

Lol at disgusting middle eastern food being a thing to do in Britain for some reason.

lol you wouldn't say that if you tried the disgusting British food

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Banano posted:

surely you jest

that's a funny-looking packet of flamin' hot

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

DrKrankenwagen posted:

Eat these. Don't ask any questions just eat them. Cheese & Onion are the superior flavor, however.

don't eat quavers ffs

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

just add : almost all the ingredients

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

King of Bees posted:

Pedigree. Not Premiere.

if you enjoy your beer by the half-litre I can recommend Holsten pils. coming from Australia I found the beer selection in the average off-licence to be a revelation. getting drunk is most of the reason I stay here.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Banano posted:

lol does that even still exist? I can't remember seeing any in the last ten years, but then again it might just be that they stopped spending £1bn a year on advertising

yeah it's a staple in my off-licence. it's one of the £1 cans. while it's garbage by european standards it's fantastic compared to the swill that passes for beer in Australia.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Igiari posted:

I'm disappointed they weren't Flamin' Hot flavour, but still solid choice.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

glad you enjoyed the UK. It's not all completely horrible here. that's our national motto

im going to birmingham next month, wish me luck

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dravs posted:

Pizza in the UK is very sub-par. Your best bet is to get it from a kebab shop and hope you get lucky. You know it's bad when Dominos is the pizza joint of choice for most townies.

brits don't seem to understand pizza but the innovation of garlic dipping sauce for the crust is borderline genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

RaySmuckles posted:

lol, "for the crust"

do you even know about papa john's, son!?

"for the crust!?" smh.

i'm not really a pizzaman when it comes down to it. i just remember shortly after arriving in the UK i was presented with three dominos pizzas that apparently cost £50 and had these little pots of that sauce set in little cupholders in the box. It was the first time I felt like I was in a really foreign country and not just a run down version of Australia.

• Locked thread