Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Ignore all the useless sadbrain depressives in here who rarely leave the country or their house and have no frame of reference, there's a lot to love about this bit of rock we call home. Also ignore everyone telling you to go to Wetherspoons what the gently caress is that about.

Personally I hate London but then I'm from the North and duty bound to say that; it is objectively poo poo by most metrics that matter to me. However I love going there and being a tourist, seeing the sights, and loving off back to friendlier climes where it's not offensive to acknowledge the existence of strangers. Stay in airBnBs if you can, the friendlier they sound the better, and you're more likely to meet interesting people who actually wanna share stuff with you.

Contrary to popular opinion there's a really decent food and drink scene in the UK, just do a little Internet research before you spend any time anywhere, research independent bars and cafes and restaurants and then go to them. There's a reason everyone's telling you to ignore the midlands as it is rather dull but then I'm sure with a little effort you could still have a good time. However our island is so small you may as well make the extra effort to travel to objectively nice places like the Lakes, Edinburgh, Manchester is a great city, and because I'm northern and biased also Leeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm telling myself the people recommending wetherspoons are still students and thus know gently caress all about the world and are unable to conceive of any other criteria for visiting a place except 'cheap'

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Wetherspoons is fine. They have good drinks and they're cheap. Wetherspoons you're guaranteed they'll have a couple of local ales, a couple of international ales and if you ask nicely they'll give you samples of them all. A lotta people who turn their noses up at Wetherspoons go to places where they have Carling, Carling Extra Cold and Guiness.

They're where the real jeremy kyle british culture is going on too. Most of the good, old, honest, old times, british pubs people go on about are either full of people who worry about that sort of thing (hipsters) or EDL meeting places.

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Whorelord posted:

op you should go to norwich

Can we stop lying to the poor guy

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

88h88 posted:

If you ever want to realise why you love the US, try our version of Froot Loops, they're loving atrocious. US ones are basically like eating a bowl of sugar and colourings and are amazing. Ours are poop in comparison.

Alternatively, don't eat like a child

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

What is so hard about finding the restaurants run by the nationality of the cuisine you're eating ffs

I've been all over the States and Italy and still the best pizza I've eaten was at Franco Manca in Brixton market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

You didn't have much choice in the matter but your itinerary was basically the opposite of what I'd have recommended for a first time visit OP but glad you had an enjoyable time, you seem like a good sort of person for this kind of trip. Also there's a tendency here for almost the opposite of American exceptionalism, where we like to moan we're the shittest possible place and lose sight of a lot of what is good about this country, and you seemed to experience those qualities in our less salubrious parts.

• Locked thread