Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

ROFLburger posted:

not really. gardening kind of owns

The kind I like to do owns (building raised beds for vegetables, tilling compost into the beds, making real deep beds of dead leaves in the fall so I can put bales of hay on top for growing easy-mode potatoes, pruning the fruit trees for productivity) the kind my wife wants done SUCKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Yes, lmao if, after working all week, you don't want to come home and do even more work only this time it's unpaid.
how out of shape are you that you can't push a device around for an hour or so

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Look all im saying is that the cup holder is a bad location for the beer

Alright. I can let this slide. You could always switch to whiskey.

ROFLburger posted:

not really. gardening kind of owns

Weeding is still the loving worst, but gardening.... My loving tomato plants are over seven feet of burgeoning deliciousness.

gently caress weeds.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Mowed my lawn today. Got some sun. Worked up a sweat. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

My only regret is that I have but one lawn to mow.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

crabcakes66 posted:

Astroturf loving sucks.

lol if you don't enjoy hot dog poo poo melting onto your plastic lawn

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Lawns are bad.

I had a neighbor who cleared about an acre of forest and replaced it with grass. I don't know why. They never used it for anything.

I cleared the brush out of my woods and used it for more fuckin' yard. I go back there and masturbate sometimes. Or hide in trees, call my wife and ask her to let the dog out, then jump out of the tree and scare him.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Every person in Phoenix who has a lawn needs to be shot.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

KiteAuraan posted:

Every person in Phoenix needs to be shot.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

KiteAuraan posted:

Every person in Phoenix who has a lawn needs to be shot.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just pave it, pave all of it with big loving slabs of concrete. now my yard looks like a small remnant of a 40's polish ghetto

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like the concept of pasture more than lawn. Imo the concept of covenants and the stuff that make Lawns a thing, turn property ownership to a weird expensive absurdity. when people can tell you what to do with the half acre you dropped half a million dollar mortgage on. the property itself is the purchase and i shouldn't owe the guy next to me a view. i shouldn't owe him spent capital or labor on my own loving property just to improve his land value.

but if i landed me three acres of pasture in an unincorporated part of the county and let a couple of sows keep the yard lowish to the ground, yeah i could brick my truck on that pretty happily

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

LowPartz posted:

Why can't they engineer a strain of grass that only grows to like an inch high?

Big mower wants to keep you from knowing the truth!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Lt. Chips posted:

Mowed my lawn today. Got some sun. Worked up a sweat. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

My only regret is that I have but one lawn to mow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMxzkBdzTNU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

Weeding is still the loving worst, but gardening.... My loving tomato plants are over seven feet of burgeoning deliciousness.

gently caress weeds.

I kinda find weeding relaxing. Mowing the lawn can be too, but lawns are still bad.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Applewhite posted:

"Hurr durr, what if it were the fashion for every house were surrounded by plants you had to cut short and tend every weekend? You've been working hard at your job all week, so of course the first thing you want to do on your day off is sweat like a pig pushing a loud machine around for hours. DUrrrrr *shits pants*" -The jackass who invented lawns.

If your wife just yelled at you, you can just tell us about it

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The best thing about being a poor is that I rent so no lawn work for me lol homeowners.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm with OP. Lawns blow.

Everyone in the neighborhood has a guy who's like "ALL HAIL MY LAWN! THERE IS NOT A WEED OR BARE SPOT TO BE FOUND! MY PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Flamethrowers come to mind.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Landscaping is just about maintaining your possessions...I take it the people who hate mowing their lawn dont wash their car or clean their house either

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RedMage129 posted:

The best thing about being a poor is that I rent so no lawn work for me lol homeowners.

There really needs to be something that combines the permanence of a house with the irresponsibility of renting an apartment. I hear nothing but bitching from friends that own a house about having to deal with electrical problems, pest control, air conditioning, the heater going out, and plumbing all the time and I think, if that happened in my apartment, that's the landlord's poo poo to deal with and if they don't, it's litigation time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Seriouspost, we should just change from grass to clover. Clover is green, soft, virtually unkillable, and needs like 0 mowing

Replaced half my lawn with a garage, seeded fescue (native grass) and clover on the rest. Owns.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
when I was in college the landlord of my lovely apartment (in the sorta slumlord section of town) paved over our entire front lawn. It was cool, a few weeks later somebody (there was at the time, a tagger going around painting dicks and various little vulgar phrases) spray painted a giant dick in what was once our front yard, that was there for years.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

rt hon potatoe pc posted:

I am seriously worried about mowing my lawn. There is this really tiny baby bunny that lives in the bushes in front of my house. I love the bunny and project all of my messed up millennial paternal feelings onto the drat thing. Super worried that I'll be mowing one day and it'll dart out of the bushes one day because its a dumb baby and I'll turn it into pulled rabbit

:(

This happened to my gf once while I was out of town at work and she called me all sobbing and I had to talk her through how to kill it over the phone.

Kinda a buzz killer.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Applewhite posted:

Somebody please make it fashionable for American homes to have paved terraces that require no care other than an occasional hosing down. TIA.

drat you picked the one worse alternative to a manicured grass lawn.

Just let whatever poo poo grows, grow. Pick up any litter, and let nature go hog wild, a quarter acre at a time

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
*puts on glasses*

Interesting, yes. Tell us about your relationship with your father.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im trying to dig up this big root in my yard. made some prertty good progress today. more on the root later. not sure what im gonna plant in its place. a nice bush of some sort.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

use a propane weed burner instead of a mower. then you only have to lawn care once every couple of months plus you get to play with fire.

or you can cover your entire lawn with gravel like my parents did

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
My dad lives in Vegas and they all have igneous rocks and prickly little bushes in place of lawns. It's a neat solution that ignores the bigger picture

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm with you OP, lawns totally suck. And they're invented by the French FFS. Stupid French nobility!

Gardens are alright though because you get to eat it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My lot is 5000sq feet but my house is only 900 and a double detached garage. My yard is huge and all lawn and it sucks. I want to turn the whole thing into a massive alpine rock garden except for a vegetable garden somewhere.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Minimalist Program posted:

I bought a high pressure water cleaner today and cleaned the heck out of my patio and boy let me tell you - the result was underwhelming and I got very wet.

drat straight.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
You guys complaining about working all week then having to mow the lawn realize that you can use your wages to pay someone to mow it right? Just lol if you don't pay someone to do your lawn or lawndry

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

You guys complaining about working all week then having to mow the lawn realize that you can use your wages to pay someone to mow it right? Just lol if you don't pay someone to do your lawn or lawndry

Or we could get rid of the lawn and save the money.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

I think lawns are pretty cool, but I have a riding mower so I can't really empathize with your pain.

I live in an apartment so I don't really care if my lawn gets mowed or not

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
laws are bullshit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

and people say millennials are the lazy ones

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

why do it always got to be about millenials mang

my neighbour covered his yard in that astroturf synthetic stuff which owns and has the added bonus of shredding his kids limbs if they fall over on it

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
The only person I know around my age who owns a house with a sizeable lawn seems to actually enjoy yardwork but will never admit that. He works in front of a computer all week and doing that some more on the weekends is generally the last thing he wants to do. That said he definitely has one of the nicest lawns in the neighborhood.

Anyone older just makes their kids do it.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

thathonkey posted:

im trying to dig up this big root in my yard. made some prertty good progress today. more on the root later. not sure what im gonna plant in its place. a nice bush of some sort.

Good luck with the root, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i had a neighbour who'd spend every weekend cleaning his driveway for like 1 hour straight with a pressure washer. it was really weird.

• Locked thread