Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Here. It's soft, green, natural, self fertilizing, and you don't have to maintain it. http://cloverlawn.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

A Strange Aeon posted:

I never understood this--like, all the people who complain about illegal immigration, do they not understand that people wouldn't come here if there weren't jobs? So shouldn't they be angry and pass laws that make it illegal or at least super punishable to hire illegal immigrants? Instead of building a wall or whatever?

I don't want to hire a slave to do my yardwork. If I hire someone for that, I want to hire a citizen, for more money and less often. Or a teenager. But not a goddamn servant. Fuckface.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Na'at posted:

Here. It's soft, green, natural, self fertilizing, and you don't have to maintain it. http://cloverlawn.org/

Legit looking into this now. Thanks!

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

hipsters appropriating suburban mower culture

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Clover lawns look like a poo poo butt.

This local hippy got owned by the township for having a "natural habitat" for a front lawn. They labeled the property a nuisance and made her cut it, but she was crying in the news paper about not wanting to run over snakes and groundhogs. Everyone voted and decided she was fuckin dumb and needs to shutup before we kick her rear end though.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
How much do I loving hate weeding?

I just spread 21 bags of Mulch and I probably need another 35 to finish the job. I did it while singing like a loon, to my ipod, and breaks for vodka and kool-aid.

gently caress Weeding. gently caress it right in its filthy loving rear end.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I just maintain a meadow instead of a lawn. Partially due to all the topsoil having been removed sometime in the past as well as preferring the wildlife it attracts. The only thing I really have to deal with is the russian olive that surrounds the property. That poo poo is the worst.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sudonim posted:

Good cause humor eludes you like green grass in a California drought
charming

you can continue to bitch about yardwork now

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

How much do I loving hate weeding?

I just spread 21 bags of Mulch and I probably need another 35 to finish the job. I did it while singing like a loon, to my ipod, and breaks for vodka and kool-aid.

gently caress Weeding. gently caress it right in its filthy loving rear end.

We keep getting Rose of Althea shoots that I have to pull up. Sometimes we miss one because it's hiding inside another plant and it manages to get big before we find it. Then we have to fight to pull it out because it's run its roots all over.

For those of you not familiar with Altheas, they grow like weeds (1-1.5 inches a day) but have bark like trees. They are very hearty and even two years after chopping down the parent trees we are still finding saplings. Also, even a small segment of Althea root will eventually sprout a new tree, so you have to get all of it or they will come back.

Do not ever let them into your yard.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

We keep getting Rose of Althea shoots that I have to pull up. Sometimes we miss one because it's hiding inside another plant and it manages to get big before we find it. Then we have to fight to pull it out because it's run its roots all over.

For those of you not familiar with Altheas, they grow like weeds (1-1.5 inches a day) but have bark like trees. They are very hearty and even two years after chopping down the parent trees we are still finding saplings. Also, even a small segment of Althea root will eventually sprout a new tree, so you have to get all of it or they will come back.

The only invasive poo poo I can account for in my yard is wild onion and wild strawberry.

Neither of which I really give a flying gently caress about, because in makes the place smell great when I mow them.

Seriously, citrus and onion with cut grass is a wonderful combination. Hell if I know why.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Contact some high tech factories about getting a hold of some primo industrial waste material. Odds on they will pay you to bury it on your property and then I have confidence the large scale ecological disaster that would result would nip that pesky plant in the bud.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Applewhite posted:

We keep getting Rose of Althea shoots that I have to pull up.
Applewhite why do you hate South Korea

EDIT: I should stop stirring the pot but

symbolic posted:

charming

mods change symbolic's name to Lawn Gnome please

sudonim fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 19, 2016

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

VendaGoat posted:

The only invasive poo poo I can account for in my yard is wild onion and wild strawberry.

Neither of which I really give a flying gently caress about, because in makes the place smell great when I mow them.

Seriously, citrus and onion with cut grass is a wonderful combination. Hell if I know why.

Ever have a patch of mint spread and get mown?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ever have a patch of mint spread and get mown?

For some reason the mint I had never made it. It's the oddest thing, from what all of my gardening and horticulturist friends tell me. They literally describe it as a weed that is almost as hard to get rid of as Kudzu. For me though, I kill it with a look.

I wouldn't mind an onion, strawberry, mint smell with cut grass.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Our lawn is kind of a mishmash. We have wild onion, Bermuda grass, that ubiquitous short purple flower, dandelions, some clover, and normal grass. I sort of think I'm supposed to pick one kind of plant and make it the whole lawn, but I see my neighbors' lawns with all uniform grass and they look pretty tacky tbh. My lawn has personality.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Our lawn is kind of a mishmash. We have wild onion, Bermuda grass, that ubiquitous short purple flower, dandelions, some clover, and normal grass. I sort of think I'm supposed to pick one kind of plant and make it the whole lawn, but I see my neighbors' lawns with all uniform grass and they look pretty tacky tbh. My lawn has personality.

A "Monoculture" is about as anti-natural as you can achieve. From Hitler all the way down to you lawn.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

symbolic posted:

charming

please stop having piss fits everywhere

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

he's just a boy

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
I had a very close call with my lawn this past weekend.

I thought I was finally going to be forced to mow it for the first time this year, but at the last minute it snowed a foot and got me off the hook for at least a week.

I'm still a little shaky over the whole experience.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i just find it funny how averse goons are to maintaining a lawn

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
i will fight and kill the man who thinks lawns are Good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

froward posted:

i will fight and kill the man who thinks lawns are Good
i want to live

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

-Troika- posted:

I moved into an apartment last year after living in a house for 12 years and let me tell you I don't miss mowing the lawn and shovelling snow one bit

This.
But I miss my house-shaking subwoofer. :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
im about to move out of a house into an apartment and i'm gonna miss standing on the grass in the backyard barefoot on a sunday morning listening to some acoustic folk drinking a cup of coffee smoking a bowl and rubbing my rock hard cock.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

John Denver Hoxha posted:

when I was in college the landlord of my lovely apartment (in the sorta slumlord section of town) paved over our entire front lawn. It was cool, a few weeks later somebody (there was at the time, a tagger going around painting dicks and various little vulgar phrases) spray painted a giant dick in what was once our front yard, that was there for years.

The only upshot I see with lawns is that everyone seems to be kind of culturally programmed to understand that concrete is usually sort of public and grass is usually private property. Outside of parks you don't see a lot of people just deciding to post up on lawns, but if you have a paved alley or something it's apparently seen as fair game. Nobody is going around spray painting lawns, but a big patch of concrete is inevitable. I bet if 7-11 had a lawn there'd probably be less loitering for a couple of weeks because it would just short circuit people

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Cowboy Pope posted:

The only upshot I see with lawns is that everyone seems to be kind of culturally programmed to understand that concrete is usually sort of public and grass is usually private property. Outside of parks you don't see a lot of people just deciding to post up on lawns, but if you have a paved alley or something it's apparently seen as fair game. Nobody is going around spray painting lawns, but a big patch of concrete is inevitable. I bet if 7-11 had a lawn there'd probably be less loitering for a couple of weeks because it would just short circuit people

look buddy, have you ever been to a public park?

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

ROFLburger posted:

look buddy, have you ever been to a public park?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
lawn orgies are kinda cool I guess :huh:

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Applewhite posted:

I thought when I googled it that it was just a regular hibiscus you were complaining about, but I guess it's an invasive variety. We've got hibiscus at home and they're awesome. Perfect shrub, huge red-orange and yellow flowers.

Sucks you got the bad kind.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Update on the root: this goddamn motherfucker is not comingn up easy. We are gonna need a bigger boat

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
One of my neighbors asked my wife to not let our kids blow on dandelion because it spreads seeds. Why the gently caress do people hate dandelions?? They're pretty and edible and they're my son's bearded dragon's all time fave food. So now the kids get one (1) jelly bean every time they manage to locate and launch a ripe dandelion.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
your neighbors sound like miserable people

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's weird how upset everyone gets if you don't mow your lawn.

Like the city will fine you and send out its own mowers if you don't do it.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i moved into a house with a front lawn like a year and a half ago and I've never watered it and now it's dead.

I don;t have to mow it and it doesn't look too bad, getting kinda sandy though

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Back in my musician days I was living in a trailer with my bandmates in a solidly Hispanic (except us three) trailer park. We did nothing to maintain our plot despite multiple citations from the manager, and after one long trip away we came back to find that our neighbors had raked and mowed our lawn.

I felt like a piece of poo poo after that one.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toadvine posted:

Back in my musician days I was living in a trailer with my bandmates in a solidly Hispanic (except us three) trailer park. We did nothing to maintain our plot despite multiple citations from the manager, and after one long trip away we came back to find that our neighbors had raked and mowed our lawn.

I felt like a piece of poo poo after that one.

I'm surprised they were able to resist as long as they did. Lawncare is in their blood.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Dregs posted:

One of my neighbors asked my wife to not let our kids blow on dandelion because it spreads seeds. Why the gently caress do people hate dandelions?? They're pretty and edible and they're my son's bearded dragon's all time fave food. So now the kids get one (1) jelly bean every time they manage to locate and launch a ripe dandelion.

The seeds get into your garden and are a huge pain in the rear end to weed out.

Also some people like their lawns race to be pure and green and think yellow lawns STINK and are lazy. I like a few dandelions, yarrow, and those purple fuckers whatever they are in my lawn though because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
Has anyone said moats? I'm gonna go with moats

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Thread need more lawn pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012