Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Hey, look at that weird dog!

Welcome to Cubivore. It's a weird dog eat weird dog world out there, and we're here to eat them all.

Well, at least, I am. I'm playing. With me are Faerie Fortune and Liquidypoo, gigglers extraordinaire. They are entirely new to the world of Cubivore.

I feel like Cubivore is a game best experienced. I could go into the mechanics and story, and talk about the ontological implications of a continual consciousness, but really we're just here for the weird dogs and you should be too.

Episode 01:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XGHAMpmUE

Episode 02:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rjCGjhY_ss

Episode 03:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZjh5CNreH8

Episode 04:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZtibqoJQz0

Episode 05:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbVqs10YOEU

Episode 06:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WELh8spI4s

Episode 07:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rebJp30M0TU

Episode 08:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyZtYdYkisY

I'm startingcontinuing to think I should make banners for these links, hmmm.

Casnorf fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"That's not how clouds"

Those are hanging in the air exactly how bricks don't.

poo poo its Vogons.

poo poo its Vogon POETRY :stonk:

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad someone's making another attempt at this game! It's so wonderfully weird and deserves to be shown off.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think I need to know more.

uh

:stonk:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I hope this LP makes it all the way through! This is just such a weird game, and I never actually finished it, but it's definitely worth exposing more people to.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm really glad everyone appreciates the lovely trumpets. I used them to make Oblivion tolerable during my LP!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
This is another one of those weird Japanese games that you're really expected to play stoned as all hell.

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
Hell yeah, another Cubivore LP! I really hope this one doesn't meet the same fate as the previous one.

Also Fae and liquidy, you pretty much had the same reactions I had the first time I saw this game.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
:psyduck:

wait no, that's not cube enough. Someone quick, make a cube psyduck

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
:greencube:

I really liked this game when I played it as a teen, will be happy to see what your co-comms will think of these adventures of pig, bear & bird.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Krysmphoenix posted:

:psyduck:

wait no, that's not cube enough. Someone quick, make a cube psyduck

:psyflap:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It turns out I remember a lot less of this game than I thought I did, so it will at times be a learning experience for us all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And now I know what Cubivore is like. I feel like I missed out as a kid now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh man one of my favorite games, hurrah

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
This reminds me of a show my kids used to watch called Zoobabu. Only less killing and mating in it than this, and no one walked using their face.

I don't know how I missed this game, it looks so cute.

Also yes, Frog Bog was the poo poo when I was little. So much fun.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
What?

I mean, the game is clearly ahead of its time, and rife with amazing awesomeness from the get-go.

But... What?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

They should have sent a poet.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
So I assume you'll be looking at developing more limbs. Segments.

Is there any way you can reliably plan these out? Enemies don't seem to respawn. Are you basically supposed to plan out later levels' fauna and plan for an order of devouring so you can optimize colour saturation (dark meat) and limb orientations to take into next levels and for your offspring?

I'm actually surprised a GameCube title is lacking so few in-depth FAQs.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

its....it's perfect

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

This is wonderful and you are wonderful too.

quote:

Are you basically supposed to plan out later levels' fauna and plan for an order of devouring so you can optimize colour saturation (dark meat) and limb orientations to take into next levels and for your offspring?

Without going into it too much, yes. There are a few curveballs in there, and I'll get caught by surprise once or twice because I don't remember as much as I thought.

Also, gameplay optimization, despite showing off as many weird dogs as possible, isn't nearly as fun as winging it. I'll largely leave my dumb mistakes in, though I'll edit or fast-forward slowtime.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Dang it I already referenced the "Survival of the fittest, Leonard" scene from foodfight back in the spore thread

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man, Cubivore. It's been so long since I played this (though, I actually bought some toys of it off eBay way back when, basically little heads with flaps and connectors and stuff so you could put them together however you wanted) and this is making me want to play it again. No idea where the game would be, though.

Also, yeah, there's some optimization/planning stuff you can get into (but don't have to; I beat this as a kid going in mostly-blind except for the knowledge that grey beasts can get really awesome). I've even heard (though never confirmed) that there's something, thankfully cosmetic only, you can only get by having so many mutations before a certain point, which I'm pretty sure requires you to optimize your approach at least to some extent.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Cubivore is one of those games I will always watch a Let's Play of if I see one, even though I've already seen three different LPs of it to completion and I don't know how many incomplete ones. It's one of those truly unique games that you don't see done quite like this, and it's always fun to see people experience it for the first time.

That triumphant trumpet is still the best. :toot:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I'm excited for more weird dogs! We get a little off-target on the weird dog front, but I'm sure we can right the ship.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What do you mean by you don't have the "roar" ability the enemies had? You specifically had it come up in a tooltip as an ability you have.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I made an art at you. I blame Fae.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Aw man I'm bummed we don't get to see Dumbo-eared Piggy casnorf yet.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Casnorf posted:

I'm excited for more weird dogs! We get a little off-target on the weird dog front, but I'm sure we can right the ship.

*flap discussion intensifies*

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I honestly don't have any idea how I should react to this game anymore. Just when I think I'm starting to understand the game it gets weirder. Or maybe it's just the commentary.
I'm not sure.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
All I know is this:

It's hip to be square. :smug:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

What if Psyduck had flaps though?

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
Then Pokemon would've had to be at least an M, likely an AO.

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

I may also be terribly amused that the moon is a cube with moon pictures on the sides.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I made some gifs!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

SystemLogoff posted:

What if Psyduck had flaps though?

Cute, but I think it'd work better with two additional flaps for the limbs.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

I made some gifs!

These cubes are so excited to be here!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It occurs to me that mating in this game is probably "insert Tab A into Slot B". Literally. Imagine, if you will, a flap sliding under another flap, into the core cube of another cubivore, slipping into the narrowest of crevasses where flap meets body, a flaw abided by nature only for this explicit purpose.

Tappin' that flap gap.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lizard Wizard posted:

It occurs to me that mating in this game is probably "insert Tab A into Slot B". Literally. Imagine, if you will, a flap sliding under another flap, into the core cube of another cubivore, slipping into the narrowest of crevasses where flap meets body, a flaw abided by nature only for this explicit purpose.

Tappin' that flap gap.

This post amuses me, but not for the reason you think. (Well, that reason too, but not only that reason, and not as much as the other one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It just means he ain't seen nothin' yet.

• Locked thread