Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gotta admit I'm mostly following this to look at the weird dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

GlyphGryph posted:

What do you mean by you don't have the "roar" ability the enemies had? You specifically had it come up in a tooltip as an ability you have.
You know, it took me until just now to realize I was talking about the Boyscout Beast's (and friends') ability to duck under the water, which little piggy casnorf certainly cannot do. It's just that we got distracted by their attempt to intimidate me. Roaring, like blocking, is just something I don't really think about. I'll try to make some adorable squeaks in the next one I record to see how useful it is.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Gotta admit I'm mostly following this to look at the weird dogs.

same, to be honest

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Things take a tiny turn for the...weird? Can things get any weirder? It turns out they can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZjh5CNreH8

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can't say I was expecting that turn.

Also I read it as Vegetabugs.

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
I'm a little sad nobody pointed out the reason that the giant female ate you. She is the Consu-Mate afterall :v:.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

All these years and I thought it was just the one pun!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Insert Pigflap A into Swineslot B.

Baddabing, badaboom, apex predator

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

LP over. I quit. Everything here is too much!

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

"You have proven yourself the strongest pig. LET ME EAT YOU AND FORCE YOU TO MAKE A CHILD WITH ME."

Well, this poo poo just got real.

Also, Ikeavore is really incredible, Feyer.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhiodise posted:

I'm a little sad nobody pointed out the reason that the giant female ate you. She is the Consu-Mate afterall :v:.

I'm pretty sure the regular mating involved you getting eaten as well, actually. That's why, after you do it, your severed head is left lying around outside the mating area while your new baby self runs around.

But yeah that's a pretty good double-pun there.

Edit: Also you're a bear now because the Consu-Mate that ate you was a bear one, in case people missed that.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 25, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm a little disappointed that you didn't explore the area before fighting the boss.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I have, periodically, used that fantastic lovely trumpet when I've won at things. It's so great. I kind of want to write a smartphone macro or something that just plays it when I hit a button.

E: Also, hyenas are dog-shaped cats! Or a more accurate way of putting it is, they're felines that evolved to fill a canine-like ecological niche, when there were no actual canines around to take advantage of the particular resources they favor. Foxes are kind of inverse hyenas; canines who evolved to fill a feline-like niche. Evolution is really weird and rad; if nature leaves something lying around, something will figure out how to use it.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 25, 2016

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
After watching the newest episode, I think this pretty much sums up the experience of anyone who has ever played this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoMiYklHvjk

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

What a beary nice form we've discovered! Exciting though it may be, remembering the grizzly fate of our predecessor leaves us feeling a bit bi-polar. Let us paws a moment and reflect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZtibqoJQz0

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Puberty really is the most depressing form of all.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
This is what you were looking for.

E: also, this game has some pacing issues. I mean, first off, a tutorial section when we're at least a quarter of the way through the game, telling us stuff that would have been useful to know from the very beginning? And we lost our fang, but apparently retained partial points to the various enhancements, which means maybe we should have kept our fang points one less than we needed so we could get the fang back faster in this stage? I mean, it's a weird, charming game, and well worth the $20 it cost on release, but not all of its weirdness is a charming weirdness.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 28, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fangs don't come from "points", they come from having a certain number of limbs. Three-limbed creatures get one fang, and I think five limbs get you two? All the other points were fully-retained, meanwhile; if/when they reincarnate again they'll keep the scar and other features, if I recall correctly. At least, I don't remember losing them, but my memories are admittedly rather old.

The tutorial after the first "chapter" is rather odd, though. Most of the concepts there are repeated, so it really just seems kind of pointless.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 28, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A Cubivore tip- you can release a cube's limb. This is useful if the prey has a mix of pale and dark so you can pounce again and hopefully catch the dark limb next time.

Might make the videos less fun to watch though, sometimes you need to be real determined to latch on the right limb.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Zanzibar Ham posted:

A Cubivore tip- you can release a cube's limb. This is useful if the prey has a mix of pale and dark so you can pounce again and hopefully catch the dark limb next time.

Might make the videos less fun to watch though, sometimes you need to be real determined to latch on the right limb.

I did totally forget you can let go! I haven't had much need for it except the once, but later on if I'm trying for new mutations I'll probably need to be reminded I can do that. There are, after all, some things we haven't seen yet and some of them will require a certain amount of planning. We'll see how "carefully selecting our prey" looks or I'll forget and eat everything indiscriminately.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So this has been bugging me for a little while. Why does it seem like you do so little damage to things all the time? Are you accidentally in bad combat mutations whenever it comes time to have a boss fight or is there some secret to fighting that allows you to consistently more damage to enemies. Like, on occasion I'll see you do 4 damage to something but usually you're only hitting for 1-2 damage. I was especially curious when you fought the Scoutmaster Beast as a 3-limb pig because even against that creature with upwards of 40HP you were still plinking away at it for nearly 10 minutes. Not only that, but he was doing huge chunks of damage to you. Was there a combat tutorial that I didn't read properly or is there some secret we haven't learned yet? It just doesn't seem like combat with large enemies should take as much time as it does.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think he didn't have a strong enough form (he had a paledark rather than dark). Also you do more damage if you pounce from behind (maneuvering for a back-attack is hella tough though).

e: making sure you get strong forms becomes more complex later on, you need the right combination of eating and pooping

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 28, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

FPzero posted:

So this has been bugging me for a little while. Why does it seem like you do so little damage to things all the time? Are you accidentally in bad combat mutations whenever it comes time to have a boss fight or is there some secret to fighting that allows you to consistently more damage to enemies. Like, on occasion I'll see you do 4 damage to something but usually you're only hitting for 1-2 damage. I was especially curious when you fought the Scoutmaster Beast as a 3-limb pig because even against that creature with upwards of 40HP you were still plinking away at it for nearly 10 minutes. Not only that, but he was doing huge chunks of damage to you. Was there a combat tutorial that I didn't read properly or is there some secret we haven't learned yet? It just doesn't seem like combat with large enemies should take as much time as it does.

He's pretty bad at the combat (as are all LPers at every game ever, based on my experience), and in this case specifically opted not to eat the wildabugs and then go get a better form like he was supposed to. It normally isn't nearly that time consuming, because you aren't normally supposed to fight him at that point.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 28, 2016

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

He's pretty bad at the combat (as are all LPers at every game ever, based on my experience), and in this case specifically opted not to eat the wildabugs and then go get a better form like he was supposed to. It normally isn't nearly that time consuming, because you aren't normally supposed to fight him at that point.
I didn't realize what would happen when I beat Scoutmaster. In retrospect it should have been a little more apparent but the sudden end of Piggy casnorf caught me entirely by surprise.

But yes. You can use positioning and attack when the enemies are not blocking to make fights happen faster. I may or may not ever figure that out in practice.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There's a Chrome extension too, apparently, and it even allows for KK Slider music on Saturday nights.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

so casnorf yelled at me because I didn't post this in the thread, but I made a tribute to piggy casnorf so that he will live on in our hearts and minds...

....and on my keys

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

There's a Chrome extension too, apparently, and it even allows for KK Slider music on Saturday nights.
The link in that article was broken, but this one goes right to the extension in the Chrome Web Store. (It's HUGE! Understandably, but still.)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
This LP is magical. Faerie and Liquidy reacting to this game's unending weirdness will never get old :allears:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It's that time again: Your dose of gigglefits and weird dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbVqs10YOEU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

You introduce all of your commentators except for the cat, very rude. :colbert:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I guess I can knock out two birds with one stone, then.

Meet our new presidential hopeful Samus Aran! She's a very busy woman, hence the headset. Over in the back you can see two cats. One of them is named Bert. He's also a loudmouth piece of poo poo.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

you can see two cats. One of them is named Bert. He's also a loudmouth piece of poo poo.

Acceptable, thank you for correcting this oversight and I will now go hogwild and rate this thread a 5.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Casnorf posted:

It's that time again: Your dose of gigglefits and weird dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbVqs10YOEU

Hurrah!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
On the one hand I don't approve of Creature Casnorf's conduct towards his fellow creatures, but on the other hand I admire his indomitable spirit and his constant willingness to reinvent himself.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Am I the only one that finds the concept of a horned bear completely terrifying?

Shame I never really heard of this title before now, since it's precisely up my bizarre alley.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think the doctor you're looking for is an on-cone-gist.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I could really see the effect of having DarkMeat as your limbs this episode. Fights were much faster overall because you did more damage.

I must know what that block is!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

FPzero posted:

I must know what that block is!
Me too! I'll grab it in the next video. By which I mean I did, and sort of got lucky that it was still there. It does what I thought it did, and so you probably know too.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It takes you to Rainbow Flaps?! Best block ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think it was Fae that mentioned how much better it was that Grizzly casnorf now signs with a paw instead of their nose.

But that was immediately after discussing how gross it was that Grizzly casnorf fiddles with his Raw Paw. :twisted:

• Locked thread