Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

JossiRossi posted:

I loved the "Vae Victis!" callback when you were comboing some Sarafan Warriors.

It seems more fitting now. LIke he's grown so old and cynical it's just like... Almost reveling in someone's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Delta Green posted:

Defiance was made by the original team and they knew it was likely going to be the last Legacy Of Kain game.

Thus, they pulled out all the stops and made it AMAZING. The dialogue in particular is great, and the voice actors had genuine fun doing their takes, which they usually did with everyone involved in each dialogue in the same studio.

Which doesn't sound special, until you realize that the inverse is still far more common. Seriously, go look up the Outtakes for Defiance, they're great.

Oh, and they tied up all the loose ends in the story. I think only one or two plot points are left unresolved and its for good reasons.

I believe that one of the games introduced itself as being excerpts of something referred to as "The Dark Chronicle" in-universe. Meaning that we're effectively going through a written account by Kain (and Raziel) of the events, presumably long after they are gone.

Otherwise, why the "Legacy" of Kain?

I always thought that the "Legacy" part is about the sequence of decisions that Kain makes in Blood Omen. Everything after that is the fallout of these decisions (and the actions of those who pushed him to make these decisions), and are thus Kain's legacy.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Zain posted:

It seems more fitting now. LIke he's grown so old and cynical it's just like... Almost reveling in someone's death.

Sounds about right; In BO1, he's a 30-year old nobleman/walking cadaver.

By the time LoK:D rolls around, he at least a millenium old, and his time-travel shenanigans have ensured that he's seen it all, and is pretty much sick of Nosgoth's poo poo.

Okay, mostly he's sick of Moebius' poo poo. So he takes it out on everyone, and everything that wiggles a weapon at him.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And by the end of it, it will be more the former (Nosgoth's) than the latter.

Because y'know, Moebius still dies.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
There does come a point in time where Kain does feel a small speck of joy. And it is wonderful to see :3:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up my controller and I don't think that I have any games that would work with it, so I can't even rant about how alien and foreign it feels :v:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Thank you for starting this early. I stopped watching BO2 a while ago.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing you didn't mention when talking about the combat differences: the dodge. It makes all the difference. Kain is the better fighter simply because he can mistform through the enemy and hit from behind - something that will come incredibly handy against certain later enemies.

e: Well, he also gets the best Reaver but that's still quite far.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 29, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I seem to remember Kain's sections being more combat heavy while Raziel's are more platforming and puzzle heavy, though both will still have their fair share of combat and puzzles.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

George posted:

Thank you for starting this early. I stopped watching BO2 a while ago.

Feel like a lot of people have. Including Alexey and myself.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Vicissitude posted:

There does come a point in time where Kain does feel a small speck of joy. And it is wonderful to see :3:

Oh, that is one of the best parts of the story and dialogue. The glee in his tone at that moment is amazing.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The next update will be a bit delayed, I accidentally saved after a cutscene and it didn't play it again upon reloading the game, so I have to replay the entirety of the first three chapters again :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, I forgot the zombies talked. So there is some BO2 connection at least.

Unrelated, but "among are weaponry are diverse elements such as the Air reaver, Fire reaver..." - gotta remember to link the voice-acting session outtakes after the game is done, there's utterly magical stuff in there.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 1, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'm sorta trying to put this all together. The Soul Reaver is what caused a lot of these events. Does the Wraith Blade which I guess is Raziel know it's him or is it just what remains of his hunger? That being said if Raziel is "Supposed to be the Soul Reaver." does that mean that Mobius went forward in time to pick it up to give it to the king in the past? Like I'm assuming of-course that Raziel is just always going to become a wraith at some point right and eventually enter the blade. Or am I over thinking these things?

Bachus
May 31, 2011

Zain posted:

I'm sorta trying to put this all together. The Soul Reaver is what caused a lot of these events. Does the Wraith Blade which I guess is Raziel know it's him or is it just what remains of his hunger? That being said if Raziel is "Supposed to be the Soul Reaver." does that mean that Mobius went forward in time to pick it up to give it to the king in the past? Like I'm assuming of-course that Raziel is just always going to become a wraith at some point right and eventually enter the blade. Or am I over thinking these things?

If Kain hadn't been around to intervene Raziel would have entered the Reaver at that point. Well before Moebious lended it to William The Just.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

That'll actually be explained, Zain. Remember that the Reaver, when it broke on Raziel, was already many thousands of years old. We know that the spirit within it was Raziel's own soul. But all that time imprisoned in the blade had driven him mad. It's just mindless, ravenous hunger for souls by now. No trace of Raziel's personality is left in the wraith blade, or only as much as it takes for him it to realize its own soul to bond with the embodied Raziel.

But we'll start to see that there's something important going on when Raziel gets to his first "dungeon".

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Bachus posted:

If Kain hadn't been around to intervene Raziel would have entered the Reaver at that point. Well before Moebious lended it to William The Just.

Well I'm questioning the Soul Reaver's existence in general. There had to be an original before all this madness took place with paradoxes and the likes. I figure everything that's happening right now is sort of outside of the original history and thus being written on the fly. Just kinda thinking how the original Reaver was forged.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zain posted:

Well I'm questioning the Soul Reaver's existence in general. There had to be an original before all this madness took place with paradoxes and the likes. I figure everything that's happening right now is sort of outside of the original history and thus being written on the fly. Just kinda thinking how the original Reaver was forged.
The origin of the physical Reaver blade will actually be revealed later in this game.

As for the Wraith blade attached to Raziel's arm. As mentioned, this is the result of Raziel's spirit being locked up inside the physical blade for several millennia. Over that time Raziel went completely crazy and eventually turned into a mindless hunger (let's call it "Wraith" to avoid confusion with the Raziel we play as). If the Wraith recognizes that it is attached to the arm of a younger version of itself, then it doesn't show it. The only thing Raziel is able to sense from the Wraith after it "woke up" in SR2 is hunger.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Zain posted:

I share a lot of your same questions but I'm not sure we're going to get solid answers...

Bachus posted:

Right, but in that timeline Raziel must have been a wraith by some other means, or it was some other wraith, because Raziel is a wraith because of Kain's actions. Right? I lose track of which events belong to which timeline and I don't know the story well enough really to even speculate responsibly.

EDIT:

Raygereio posted:

The origin of the physical Reaver blade will actually be revealed later in this game.

But I suspect some of these things are just not mentioned or made explicit. I am reminded of the old saying, "You can only split a time travel franchise across so many different studios before you start losing track of some of the ontological paradoxes" I forget who said it.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 1, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
There will be a few revelations and explanations. But some things will still not be mentioned or made explicit.

I started writing up a timeline for the series (and Raziel & the Reaver in particular). But all the time-travel stuff is making it really difficult to keep it simple and easy to understand.
It doesn't help that there are 4 different Raziels in the story. With one important scene having three of the bastards at the same time. "Raziel killed Sarafan-Raziel with the Reaver blade. Then Wraith-Raziel woke up and left Raziel to embraced the Reaver blade"
:negative:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 1, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cathode Raymond posted:

Right, but in that timeline Raziel must have been a wraith by some other means, or it was some other wraith, because Raziel is a wraith because of Kain's actions. Right? I lose track of which events belong to which timeline and I don't know the story well enough really to even speculate responsibly.

I think the key issue is that Legacy of Kain doesn't really do timelines. There's just one continues stream of destiny, with time travel and changes happening concurrently, there is no original progenitor timeline. In regards to your question, as far as I've understood it, Raziel was destined to kill Kain at the stronghold like prophesied in Soul Reaver 1. Remember this scene from Soul Reaver 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5f9vhqX2qI&t=533s

Kain was destined to die here. What would have happened after this point is unclear except that Raziel still ends up killing himself in the chamber (going by the distortion) and that he without Kain intervening gets devoured by the Reaver. This all loops back to Blood Omen and Soul Reaver 1, Kain's travel and Raziel being turned into a wraith having been pre-ordained by Moebius actions in Blood Omen. It get a little schrödingers cat but it makes sense. There's a lot more to it but Defiance will illuminate quite a bit of that in time.

Don't qoute me on any of this, Legacy of Kain can be very confusing. :v:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 1, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I thought SR2 said that the early vampires forged the original reaver as a vampiric blade. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHqujq5N6_8&t=1533s.

After that it seemed (seemed, not stated) that after Raziel's soul was supposed to be absorbed by the blade at the end of SR2, his unique essence would have changed the blade from a vampiric blade to one that sucked souls.

EDIT: sentence reads better now.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 2, 2016

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

PSWII60 posted:

I thought SR2 said that the early vampires forged the original reaver as a vampiric blade. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHqujq5N6_8&t=1533s.

After that Is seemed that Raziel's soul was supposed to be absorbed by the blade at the end of SR2. Had it been successful Raziel's unique essence would have changed the blade from a vampiric blade to one that sucked souls.

Yeah, Raziel doesn't have blood, but he does have that blue ectoplasmic goo instead. As a wraith, that spirit energy is all that he is. If the Reaver drained it out of his manifested physical body, it would just drain him as well. That's how I read it, at least.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

After that it seemed (seemed, not stated) that after Raziel's soul was supposed to be absorbed by the blade at the end of SR2, his unique essence would have changed the blade from a vampiric blade to one that sucked souls.

EDIT: sentence reads better now.

That's true, but the first paradox was the SOUL REAVER. Right then it's just "the reaver" which steals blood. In Blood Omen it was the full bore Soul Reaver.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Zain posted:

That's true, but the first paradox was the SOUL REAVER. Right then it's just "the reaver" which steals blood. In Blood Omen it was the full bore Soul Reaver.

Kain travels 50 years back into the past, so 20 years or so before he was born (Kain seems like he's about 30 as a guess), to fight William the Just. SR2 takes place at the start around when Kain was born, then the end takes place before that by an undetermined amount of time, since the Sarafan lords were still alive then, but seemed to be dead at the start of the game. It would stand to reason that it takes place before William the Just's era since the stained glass mural of William fighting Kain is not present in the areas and the only then took the reaver back to the stronghold where it was at in the beginning of SR2 already imbued with Raziel's self. In that era Raziel was supposed to die by the reaver's blade and surrender himself to it creating the Soul Reaver. Then it would have been given to William the Just later on down the line.

Alternatively Mobius has a time machine and can take the Soul Reaver to whenever he feels like and give it William at whatever time.

EDIT: Found this which was a timeline included with the Playstation 2 Soul Reaver 2. I didn't see any spoilers, which makes sense since this game didn't exist yet when Soul Reaver 2 came out.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 2, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

PSWII60 posted:

Kain travels 50 years back into the past, so 20 years or so before he was born (Kain seems like he's about 30 as a guess), to fight William the Just. SR2 takes place at the start around when Kain was born, then the end takes place before that by an undetermined amount of time, since the Sarafan lords were still alive then, but seemed to be dead at the start of the game. It would stand to reason that it takes place before William the Just's era since the stained glass mural of William fighting Kain is not present in the areas and the only then took the reaver back to the stronghold where it was at in the beginning of SR2 already imbued with Raziel's self. In that era Raziel was supposed to die by the reaver's blade and surrender himself to it creating the Soul Reaver. Then it would have been given to William the Just later on down the line.

Alternatively Mobius has a time machine and can take the Soul Reaver to whenever he feels like and give it William at whatever time.

EDIT: Found this which was a timeline included with the Playstation 2 Soul Reaver 2. I didn't see any spoilers, which makes sense since this game didn't exist yet when Soul Reaver 2 came out.

That's actually clarified in Defiance. Raziel emerges in the BO1 era and says that he lost 500 years, meaning that the last third of SR2 and Kain's section of Defiance happens around 500 years before BO1.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
While the update is processing, I want to raise a couple of irrelevant points.

1) Leicester are the EPL champions.
2) Controllers loving suck. Darksiders is a supposedly easy game which I'm playing on easy difficulty. Goddamn crossblade and goodamn third person on-rails shooter sections.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Legacy of Kain: Defiance is the type of game that goes "meanwhile, in the past" without blushing. It's very ... peculiar about that.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I just took a look through the last video as I was procrastinating with my thesis (which is why there aren't any updates, and won't be until Sunday), and I found out that I forgot to cut out a lot of my coughing. This happened literally for the first time ever.

drat.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

That's why I like Kain. He's not really evil. Sure he's not really good. But he's just someone dealt a lovely hand and wants to make things right. It's probably his age that's gotten the better of him this time as I'm sure young Vampire Kain is kinda just mad with power.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I think that young Kain is just mad :v:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Defiance does suffer from some of the same tedious backtracking issues that plagued Soul Reaver 2, but at least they're not as bad in Defiance. The elemental forges get tiring, but outside of those you don't really spend long enough in any given area for it to really wear on you, with one possible exception later on.

Kain and Raziel do both visit some of the same areas in succession, though at least said areas are changed up a little bit due to the 500 year gap between the two characters.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I also thought on the time taken for Kain and Raziel to do their respective chapters and came up with this meta theory: Kain is just on a journey to cure himself of his ignorance. Raziel however is fighting back against a world/universe that actively hates him and wants him to do it's thing in addition to figuring out stuff.

It ties in with the underlying theme of the game at least, even if it doesn't excuse the backtracking.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
More Pillars, this time in brown instead of white! :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
This chapter exposed one of the timeline problems in the saga: Ariel.

In SR, the furthest game in the timeline, she doesn't recognize Raziel, and tend to be helpful.
In SR2 they meet after the fall of the pillars, and the impression is far less amicable for the ghost lady.
In Defiance, we have the first chronological meeting, and Ariel identifies immediatly Raziel as an emissary of the "Unspeakable" (or, as we know, the Hylden).

Sure, we can presume that grief and lonelines did a number with Ariel's memory with the passing of time, but continuity tend to receive a few blows in this part of the saga.

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Guy Fawkes posted:

This chapter exposed one of the timeline problems in the saga: Ariel.

In SR, the furthest game in the timeline, she doesn't recognize Raziel, and tend to be helpful.
In SR2 they meet after the fall of the pillars, and the impression is far less amicable for the ghost lady.
In Defiance, we have the first chronological meeting, and Ariel identifies immediatly Raziel as an emissary of the "Unspeakable" (or, as we know, the Hylden).

Sure, we can presume that grief and lonelines did a number with Ariel's memory with the passing of time, but continuity tend to receive a few blows in this part of the saga.

Her not recognizing Raziel in SR makes sense, both of their other meetings occur after (from Raziel's perspective) at least one paradox.

• Locked thread