Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Ohhhhhhhhh... oh. See, I never thought of it that way. I am not a clever man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

I think it's the worst section of the game--by which I mean, of course, if you can get through Vorador's mansion, the rest of the game will be better.
Vorador's Mansion at least has some nice looking rooms here and there and the combat isn't really bad yet. The Kain's upcomming sections in the vampire citadel are way worse in my opinion.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'll be honest, I played this game once and then just watched cutscenes online if I wanted to experience it again. I don't remember any of the gameplay.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Throwing people around in the Sarafan Stronghold was pretty memorable.

ganonso
Aug 1, 2011
Proof that Legacy of Kain is best vampire series: I managed to put 9k words on it in my Mastery Thesis and it's not finished by half. It's nearly as much ink I spent on Vampire the Masquerade/Requiem.,

But yes Vorador's mansion is the most unfun part of the game AFAIR. The next Raziel level is much nicer.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

ganonso posted:

Proof that Legacy of Kain is best vampire series: I managed to put 9k words on it in my Mastery Thesis and it's not finished by half. It's nearly as much ink I spent on Vampire the Masquerade/Requiem.,

But yes Vorador's mansion is the most unfun part of the game AFAIR. The next Raziel level is much nicer.

That's a lot of thesis :stare:
Mine's 10k words and it's almost complete. That said, my topic, understandably, has nothing to do with vampires.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

That's a lot of thesis :stare:
Mine's 10k words and it's almost complete. That said, my topic, understandably, has nothing to do with vampires.

I'm writing my first thesis right now. 10 000 words and the analysis and conclusion is pretty much done according to our adviser. Now if only the limit wasn't 7500...

Strangely not vampire related either. We must have picked the wrong fields.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

I'm writing my first thesis right now. 10 000 words and the analysis and conclusion is pretty much done according to our adviser. Now if only the limit wasn't 7500...

Strangely not vampire related either. We must have picked the wrong fields.

Indeed.

Also, why on earth would anyone impose a strict word limit on a goddamn thesis? We have a guideline of "stay somewhere around 30 pages with this particular type of formatting".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently it's up under the provision of some mysterious non-student union council at my Uni. It makes no sense. Additionally, everything gets counted into the world limit and I do mean everything. Including the abstract, table of contents and even the goddamn reference list. :shepicide:

ganonso
Aug 1, 2011
Other countries must have different domains names and stuff.
I'm in my fifth year of university and what I must submit has to be 100-120pages at least.

And people say Litterature students don't work.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

Apparently it's up under the provision of some mysterious non-student union council at my Uni. It makes no sense. Additionally, everything gets counted into the world limit and I do mean everything. Including the abstract, table of contents and even the goddamn reference list. :shepicide:

And footnotes, I assume. Holy hell. How do you even find a topic narrow enough to fit into what is basically a short high school essay?

In Russia I had an upper limit of 70 pages for my master's thesis (without the table of contents and list of references). I submitted a thesis that was 45 pages long, because my topic was narrow as all hell. I then cut it down to 10 pages with barely any content in order to publish it as an article. The article is utter poo poo as an article and I never recommend anyone read it or use it in any way for anything ever, but it's a solid line in my CV.
Here in Sweden my topic is even narrower, so it's 28 pages/10k words, without a strict upper limit.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Alexeythegreat posted:

This is a grave mistake :v:

Get it? Cause vampires are undead and...

...I'll see myself out.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cathode Raymond posted:

This is a grave mistake :v:

Get it? Cause vampires are undead and...

...I'll see myself out.

:laffo:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow's update would be dull as duck if it weren't for me, so I'll be doing a thread giveaway with it.
More info coming later.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
This is the first time where it really looks like they got Raziel moving like he's meant to in the cutscenes. He's jumping around like a drat spider monkey in the courtyard when the gargoyles attack and it looks great. He seemed a lot more clumsily animated in SR2.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: THREAD GIVEAWAY :frogsiren:

Here's the giveaway: I'm giving a copy of Overfall to whoever is the first to guess the song in the update and post it in the thread.
I streamed the game once, will likely stream again later today.
I have absolutely no way of knowing whether the winner will use Google, so it's an incentive to work fast.

THREAD GIVEAWAY OVER

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 23, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Edit: nevermind

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 23, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Clarification: I mean the song that I sing, not Ariel's Lament.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That ruins my plans of jokingly responding Ozar Midrashim. :colbert:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
You know, I like that they made different art assets for the three spears instead of making the same one over and over (maybe recoloring them in the process). A nice touch since they're named weapons of vampire legend.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Van Canto, Unholy. I happen to love that band.
e: Well, if you can call them a band given the whole no instruments thing.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Van Canto, Unholy. I happen to love that band.

This concludes the contest :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, this is probably the first time my atrocious taste in music amounted to anything. Feel free to shower me with praise and gifts on http://steamcommunity.com/id/anilEhilated/.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I felt... inspired by that fight against those three statues.

No, I'm not proud.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
In the final release of LoK: D there were some cuts contents.
One of those was a concept about the Sluagh King, that would have fleshed out the lore about Raziel's rival souls scavengers

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

inscrutable horse posted:

No, I'm not proud.

It's beautiful

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I assume Vorador had a well so he could keep humans around to convert it into blood.

I also like how all of the special combat moves were clearly named in order to get Bell and Templeman to say their favorite words.

Remember when talking about timelines that the first time you see Vorador's mansion in LoK is before Kain goes back in time to kill William, so technically that's one more timeline alteration since we last saw it.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

inscrutable horse posted:

No, I'm not proud.

Missing a reference to something's significance :p

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

George posted:

I also like how all of the special combat moves were clearly named in order to get Bell and Templeman to say their favorite words.
Remember that for after the game when we inevitably post the VA session bloopers. Bell comes up with some fantastic Reavers.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Is it me, or do the green souls have wings?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Well Gideon, they are hylden souls after all.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Things actually happen this time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, the emblem cements it. Vorador's house was built by Umbrella.
Anyhow, I'm gonna do something stupid and defend the mansion here: it's a slog, but it's a coherent slog with very distinct sense of progress (and not just the spear). I never found it that harrowing. You can almost see where they wanted to take the gameplay: LoK would be perfect for a metroidvania but they couldn't come up with any ways to overcome obstacles that aren't arbitrary locks and keys. Or block puzzles in SR1 which probably got closest to that idea.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 24, 2016

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

The Mystery of the Fountain was by far the weirdest Sherlock Holmes story.

EDIT:

Me: ...Vanadium?
Alexey: Yes, vanadium.

:v:

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 24, 2016

ganonso
Aug 1, 2011
To continue with my pointless thesis

Congratulations Alexei your channel is now a source in my bibliography (as let's play video showing and explaining the gameplay of the games) alongside a channel with the cutscenes.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Welp, the emblem cements it. Vorador's house was built by Umbrella.
Anyhow, I'm gonna do something stupid and defend the mansion here: it's a slog, but it's a coherent slog with very distinct sense of progress (and not just the spear). I never found it that harrowing. You can almost see where they wanted to take the gameplay: LoK would be perfect for a metroidvania but they couldn't come up with any ways to overcome obstacles that aren't arbitrary locks and keys. Or block puzzles in SR1 which probably got closest to that idea.

I agree. The problem is, the fact that the execution is so botched is very much sufficient to make it insufferable, especially if one is to get lost in the mansion (which is possible if you don't know its layout by heart like I do).

Vicissitude posted:

Me: ...Vanadium?
Alexey: Yes, vanadium.

:v:

It has the same origin as the chinchilla. Which is "because" :v:

ganonso posted:

To continue with my pointless thesis

Congratulations Alexei your channel is now a source in my bibliography (as let's play video showing and explaining the gameplay of the games) alongside a channel with the cutscenes.

I'm flattered

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Chinchillas are cute. You don't need anything more than that.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Remember how I used to post updates?
Well, I have risen :skeltal: The studies and moving are over with, so updates resume come Saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

Remember how I used to post updates?
Well, I have risen :skeltal: The studies and moving are over with, so updates resume come Saturday

Praise be to summer!

• Locked thread