Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Yeah cherenkov radiation is from the excitation of electrons moving so fast through the coolant from having gotten such an energetic kick from the reactor we don't call them electrons anymore. They're 'betas' now, and "sonic boom of light" is a pretty apt way of thinking about it. Any sufficiently energetic charged particle can cause this so long as it exceeds the phase velocity of light in a given medium.

It's cool af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

When we have Fallout style nuclear cars, will we have people who refuse to shut their truck off when they refuel like we do today except they'll risk a city block and not a gas station?

That's my main concern with nuclear energy.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

MACHI posted:

Yes, yes, post more about this please. I need a mini nuke for my zombie apocalypse plans and currently they're more expensive than i can afford so i'm really hoping a practical design takes off and economies of scale kicks in soon.

I'm too drunk to figure out the Sorensen problem, I just remember thinking 'A giant tank of HF, that's super safe to work with'. PM me if you don't want to spoil the question for others.

Re-buy me plat. :v:

MSRs are funny in that they provide unprecedented radiological and mechanical safety in favor of horrifying chemical danger. This is a solid trade, IMHO, in that we basically eliminate the chance of meltdown and the system is now around atmospheric pressure because these molten salt eutectic mixtures have incredible heat capacity and boiling points at that pressure, but...

Well you don't wanna be getting any on you...or anything...that isn't some high grade nickel-based superalloy*. Tradeoffs.

I really can't overstate low pressure operation though, PWRs are loving scary, and not because of the radiation. Radiation and risk of electrical shock was way below my fear of any kind of primary piping leak while I was in the navy.

I can go on and on but I'm going to try and keep it bite sized...

dog buttz posted:

When we have Fallout style nuclear cars, will we have people who refuse to shut their truck off when they refuel like we do today except they'll risk a city block and not a gas station?

That's my main concern with nuclear energy.

Realtalk there probably won't ever be a society willing to distribute material around like this, but that's okay because nuke power is good for way more than just generating electricity. All sorts of options with using the 'waste heat', which with current systems is like 2/3 of the total thermal power produced, is just thrown away when it could be used for all sorts of awesome chemical energy capture applications and I've even seen serious proposals of hydroponic park heating as well.

*this still isn't the sorenson problem

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

AHH FUGH posted:

How much do you get paid if you're salaried. Is it good?

I don't know of any contractors that are salaried. I doubt many guys would take a salary if they were offered it anyway as overtime is seriously like half your pay during an outage.

AHH FUGH posted:

Also if I just sit and watch a hatch can I at least bring a smart phone or tablet to play games on or something so that I don't loving kill myself

reignofevil posted:

Wouldn't be so bad if you had a Kindle.

You don't bring poo poo like that into containment. For one, when you're getting paid good many a lot of plants get pissy about cell phone usage. Even in the maintenance shop us refuelers kept an eye out for managers to stash our phones when they came by. Supervisors didn't give a poo poo though. And two, if something gets crapped up and you can't get it clean, it's gone. I've seen plenty of guys take their phones into hot places outside of containment and lose it when it got crapped up. It's really funny.

Also lmao I know it's back in the 90s but holy poo poo that's crappy pay back then MonkeyBot!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Why we don't make those ceramic ball reactors is incredible to me. If anybody thinks nuclear power is dangerous good job being the gently caress puppet of fossil fuel companies . The greatest job they've ever done is convince hippies its bad.

Its not surprising reactors built on 1950's technology can be bad for your health if it all goes wrong. That would be comparable to complaining that your model T is dangerous at highway speeds and that we should ride horses because they don't kill you as easily.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Why we don't make those ceramic ball reactors is incredible to me. If anybody thinks nuclear power is dangerous good job being the gently caress puppet of fossil fuel companies . The greatest job they've ever done is convince hippies its bad.

Its not surprising reactors built on 1950's technology can be bad for your health if it all goes wrong. That would be comparable to complaining that your model T is dangerous at highway speeds and that we should ride horses because they don't kill you as easily.

They are convinced that solar and wind can do the job based on nothing.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Honky Dong Country posted:

Also lmao I know it's back in the 90s but holy poo poo that's crappy pay back then MonkeyBot!

At least the room we were watching wasn't near anything hot. Just NRC requiring a cable conduit within 50ft. of moving machinery be wrapped in insulation so while that work was going on someone had to sit and stare at it so it didn't spontaneously combust. At the time minimum wage was like $4.25 so it was a pretty sweet deal! And I got paid for a week of training!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

"This week you will go through extensive training for the difficult task of differentiating objects on fire from objects not on fire..."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MonkeyBot posted:

a bisexual son living in Oregon who believed dinosaurs were made by Satan because they were so ugly

who the gently caress thinks dinosaurs are ugly wtf

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Germstore posted:

"This week you will go through extensive training for the difficult task of differentiating objects on fire from objects not on fire..."

You were expected to already know when stuff was on fire, that was a pre-req. It was all the nuke training with basics about radiation poo poo and a little exercise where we got all dressed up in the PCs and even some lessons on using a fire extinguisher and getting to put a bonfire out with one. Also taking the MMPI and getting a credit check. They had to ask me questions about not having a credit history.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

who the gently caress thinks dinosaurs are ugly wtf

Some dumb old broad with a hosed up family is who. At the end of the job she gave me a book wrapped up in a piece of paper she drew pictures and poo poo on. There's an off-shot that's actually somewhere in my house but I'll be damned if I know where.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Neat thread! If I walk out to the end of my block, I can see this big teal embarrassment clear as day, so I have a weird relationship with energy sources (Shoreham-Wading River is also currently sparring over solar panels on sod farms, and the area was entangled with another loving mess a few years back. We're also the home of Wardenclyffe Tower )

I don't quite know about the mechanical specifics of what the plant was/would have been, and I was born in '91, a bit after the clusterfuck. But I've always heard rumors growing up that it was a ticking time bomb, still laden with all sorts of cancer-inducing goodies, and shoddily built. My friend's dad worked for LIPA (then LILCO, now PSEG) around this time and has many strong emotions regarding the situation. What really gets me is the location of the plant and what would happen during a massive gently caress up; there are very few ways off Long Island, and none of them are suited for a disaster where a few million residents need to evacuate through NYC.

I know in later years Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno was shot here, and my friend plays airsoft in/around the facilities. Some dude does scouting for movie locations and posted some neat photos from the inside of the facility. There's also a feral cat colony there too :3:

e: Meant to add, what are your feelings towards the Shoreham plant, and was it a good idea to close it?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

MonkeyBot posted:

You were expected to already know when stuff was on fire, that was a pre-req. It was all the nuke training with basics about radiation poo poo and a little exercise where we got all dressed up in the PCs and even some lessons on using a fire extinguisher and getting to put a bonfire out with one.

The plants I've been to don't even use real fire anymore...because people got set on fire. Now it's this weird electronic duck-hunt style thing with a screen and a fake fire extinguisher with a cord sticking out of it lol.

teen witch posted:

Neat thread! If I walk out to the end of my block, I can see this big teal embarrassment clear as day, so I have a weird relationship with energy sources (Shoreham-Wading River is also currently sparring over solar panels on sod farms, and the area was entangled with another loving mess a few years back. We're also the home of Wardenclyffe Tower )

I don't quite know about the mechanical specifics of what the plant was/would have been, and I was born in '91, a bit after the clusterfuck. But I've always heard rumors growing up that it was a ticking time bomb, still laden with all sorts of cancer-inducing goodies, and shoddily built. My friend's dad worked for LIPA (then LILCO, now PSEG) around this time and has many strong emotions regarding the situation. What really gets me is the location of the plant and what would happen during a massive gently caress up; there are very few ways off Long Island, and none of them are suited for a disaster where a few million residents need to evacuate through NYC.

I know in later years Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno was shot here, and my friend plays airsoft in/around the facilities. Some dude does scouting for movie locations and posted some neat photos from the inside of the facility. There's also a feral cat colony there too :3:

e: Meant to add, what are your feelings towards the Shoreham plant, and was it a good idea to close it?

From what wikipedia is telling me the locals basically said they can't evacuate in the event of a disaster. So the company basically said "fine we'll stop operating the plant but somebody is gonna recoup this loving $6 billion we spent building this son of a bitch." So the locals agreed and paid like 3% extra on their electric bills for several years lmao. That plant didn't even run much longer than a decade before the locals got spooked and said no thanks. In other words: people dumb.

I heard something similar is happening with a plant up in NY.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

The plants I've been to don't even use real fire anymore...because people got set on fire. Now it's this weird electronic duck-hunt style thing with a screen and a fake fire extinguisher with a cord sticking out of it lol.

That sounds a lot more expensive than a couple fire extinguishers, some pallets and some gasoline out on an empty concrete pad. It also sounds exactly like something that would happen in the nuclear industry.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

MonkeyBot posted:

That sounds a lot more expensive than a couple fire extinguishers, some pallets and some gasoline out on an empty concrete pad. It also sounds exactly like something that would happen in the nuclear industry.

Yeah, in fact one of the plants I was at has a story about this. One of the training guys, who do stuff like the firewatch practical (in which you put out a fire, fake or otherwise) was constantly made fun of by the other training guys because the old fire rig wouldn't light before they went digital. But the gas was still turned on, and when it finally did light a massive fireball ensued. It actually burned the eyebrows and some hair off a trainee and he's never been able to live it down since. The other training guys love nothing more than telling that story whenever they themselves do that practical. Another guy was doing mine and was telling that story when fireball man popped the door open to ask our trainer a question. Our trainer answered fireball guy's question and then grinned, stating "I'm telling them about that time you set somebody on fire." And he got this really angry annoyed look on his face and just stormed off. It was awesome.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So a trio of questions. Besides a cloud chamber and a spinthariscope, what other legal and fun radiological/nuclear experiments can I do at home?

I've got a bunch of old radiological detectors of various kinds laying around from an old Halloween costume. Is there any radioactive sources that can be legally acquired, pose a minimal health risk, and can be used to calibrate them?

Thirdly, I'm assuming uranium ore is basically harmless?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kilo147 posted:

So a trio of questions. Besides a cloud chamber and a spinthariscope, what other legal and fun radiological/nuclear experiments can I do at home?

I've got a bunch of old radiological detectors of various kinds laying around from an old Halloween costume. Is there any radioactive sources that can be legally acquired, pose a minimal health risk, and can be used to calibrate them?

I wouldn't recommend doing any of this.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I wouldn't recommend doing any of this.

Not even a cloud chamber and spinthariscope?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Kilo147 posted:

Go to antique stores with a geiger counter and try to find radium clocks and fiesta ware.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Irradiation posted:

Go to antique stores with a geiger counter and try to find radium clocks and fiesta ware.

I've got a uranium glass coffee scoop. I like my coffee...hot.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kilo147 posted:

Not even a cloud chamber and spinthariscope?

You guys likely know more about the safety of these things than I do. I just tend to avoid anything radioactive (where possible) unless I have to be around it. There's plenty of background radiation in this world, but I don't have any desire to engage in any activity that explores radiation of any kind deliberately unless I'm being paid to do a job. For all I know those two things are harmless. But when somebody says "this activity has to do with radioactivity" my first questions are "Is this necessary?" and "Am I being paid to deal with it?"

But hey, if it's functionally harmless and you're comfortable with it, go hogwild!

e: basically I just operate under the principle of "don't gently caress around with radiation without reason"

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 19, 2016

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
You can make a cloud chamber at home with dry ice and some rubbing alcohol http://www.scienceinschool.org/2010/issue14/cloud

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

You guys likely know more about the safety of these things than I do. I just tend to avoid anything radioactive (where possible) unless I have to be around it. There's plenty of background radiation in this world, but I don't have any desire to engage in any activity that explores radiation of any kind deliberately unless I'm being paid to do a job. For all I know those two things are harmless. But when somebody says "this activity has to do with radioactivity" my first questions are "Is this necessary?" and "Am I being paid to deal with it?"

But hey, if it's functionally harmless and you're comfortable with it, go hogwild!

e: basically I just operate under the principle of "don't gently caress around with radiation without reason"

Any radioactive source I can get, save for Americium and Radium are typically harmless, and those two I stay the gently caress away from. I'm not that dipshit boy scout covered in radiation burns. Natural forms of Uranium and high energy uranium minerals, typically Uranophanes need minimal safety precautions. Don't touch it, leave it in a hard plastic case unless you need to get an accurate reading, and loving label it properly. It's not like I can buy a tube of Einsteinium on eBay. Radiation doesn't scare me, I have just enough knowledge to know it's not some scary boogeyman, and you have to do something incredibly stupid or brave for it to pose a actual threat.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 19, 2016

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Quote is not edit

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
If we get more nuclear reactors we run the risk of a "3 mile island" type of situation that can't be rectified.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Tony Homo posted:

If we get more nuclear reactors we run the risk of a "3 mile island" type of situation that can't be rectified.

So absolutely no radiation released beyond normal background and zero injuries whatsoever?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Tony Homo posted:

Yeah, man, the Penns Wasteland is a rough place. Last time I traveled through a radscorpion almost put me in the ground.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Tony Homo posted:

Redtext fits sometimes.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Kilo147 posted:

So absolutely no radiation released beyond normal background and zero injuries whatsoever?

I said that can't be rectified. Nuclear accidents have long lasting consequences that aren't worth taking chances on.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Redtext fits sometimes.

You can't remove the human factors. This will always mean we run the risk of major nuclear disasters with this form of energy. It isn't a "clean" energy with all the nuclear waste it generates.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tony Homo posted:

I said that can't be rectified. Nuclear accidents have long lasting consequences that aren't worth taking chances on.

Someone should tell you how much radiation is release by burning coal.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Tony Homo posted:

You can't remove the human factors. This will always mean we run the risk of major nuclear disasters with this form of energy. It isn't a "clean" energy with all the nuclear waste it generates.

Yeah, well it's nuclear or coal because lol solar and wind.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Kilo147 posted:

Just don't end up like this guy

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Tony Homo posted:

When the plants are built shittily and crewed by loving retards like Chernobyl? This ain't Russia, fuckwad.

Ivor Biggun posted:

Just don't end up like this guy

I stay the gently caress away from actual high energy poo poo. Radium and Tritium, while they don't exactly scare the gently caress out of me, I keep way the hell away from. Except in my watch. Tritium is baller as poo poo in watches.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 19, 2016

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
3 mile island was America and we barely avoided a disaster. Also Japan made a huge mistake too. Enjoy your radioactive sushi poo poo head

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Tony Homo posted:

3 mile island was America and we barely avoided a disaster. Also Japan made a huge mistake too. Enjoy your radioactive sushi poo poo head

It took a once in a millennium tsunami to take out a single 40 year old reactor, and no one died. Real damning stuff.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I agree that it sucks that we don't use nuclear power more than we should. I'm paying for electricity out of my rear end in my home country (germany) amongst other things also because the government decided against nuclear energy just because after Fukishima it was the popular thing to do and brought cheap political approval, completely ignoring the factors that made Fukishima possible in the first place. The Ignorance surrounding nuclear power in my country (also fueled by Chernobyl, something which had an direct effect on my country, again ignoring what made "Chernobyl" possible in the first place) is shameful.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Let's see:

Chernobyl
Fukishima
Kyshtyn
Windscale
3 mile island
First Chalk River accident
Lucens partial core meltdown
Goiania accident
Sellafield
SL1 Experimental Power station
Saint Laurent Nuclear power plant
Reactor RA 2 accident in Argentina
Jaslovske Bohunice
Tokaimura nuclear accident

Etc etc

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Tony Homo posted:

I'm all for discussing nuclear power even with people that are against it, but give us some meat to work with here, bud. You're really not spouting anything that isn't scrawled on anti-nuclear protest signs, most of which is vague and unfounded.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Tony Homo posted:

Let's see:

Chernobyl
Fukishima
Kyshtyn
Windscale
3 mile island
Goiania accident
Sellafield
Jaslovske Bohunice

Etc etc

Does any of this come anywhere near close to the radiation from successfully burning coal all over the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Tony Homo posted:

Let's see:

Chernobyl
Fukishima
Kyshtyn
Windscale
3 mile island
Goiania accident
Sellafield
Jaslovske Bohunice

Etc etc

You know every coal plant burns a literal train load of coal every single day right? And wind and solar cannot handle base load demand right?

• Locked thread