Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II
--:-- Harm | 2-armor | 0/10 XP | 5 Cred

"Phobos or Ceres," I say back. "Solward's fine and definitely easier, but I'm not sure crossing Earth orbit makes the most sense right now." I chew on the various viewpoints being presented as I chew on the sandwich in the mess. Technically, it's turkey club. Actually, it's a piece of poo poo. But I'm pretty hungry, and Method's Meals are a sure source of calories, if not carrots. "You really think Callisto is better than Ganymede, Profit? Last I heard Ganymede wasn't doing deep passenger inspection on spinner transits below a certain class. Don't remember which class, but we're smaller than it." An ugly green hue fills the room, making everything look sickly and even less appetizing than usual. Not that I'm a gourmand, but seriously - even a neutral light in here would be pretty good. "Inares! Your lights are all hosed up!"
======

Codename: Fedor-II
Classification: Killer
Look: Mirrored eyes, decorated face, augmented body, military wear, artifical skin
Stats: Edge +0 Style +1 Meat +2 Mind -1 Cool +0 Synth +1

Cyberware:
Paracore 2F3 Dermal Plating: When you make the harm move, subtract 2 from your roll.
Subtract 3 from your roll if the harm came from a weapon with the +flechette
tag.
Why? Career. If your job is getting in the loving thick of it, it's good to be able to roll with the punches more than people expect.
How? hosed over First Detronium - by the time they realized the Creds were double-spent, I was well off Mars.

219 Standard Issue Neural Interface with Targeting Suite: When you fire a weapon you are
+linked to, you may inflict additional harm equal to your Synth. You may also
roll Synth instead of Meat to mix it up. You may precisely define the area
of effect for weapons with the +autofire tag to exclude or include potential
targets from weapon damage.
Why: Military. You work for 219, you get the standard issue, unless there's some reason not to.
How: Owned. It's still theirs, and they probably want it back. Or at least me to not have it.

Custom Weapon: Eris Dynamics G238 Neuro-linked Heavy Rifle 'Regulator' (3-harm near/far/ex loud linked autofire breach dangerous)

Serious badass: when you enter a charged situation, roll Style.
10+: gain 2 hold
7–9: gain 1 hold
Spend 1 hold to make eye contact with an NPC present, who freezes or
flinches and can’t act until you break it off.
6-: your enemies identify you immediately as their foremost threat

Gear:
Eris Dynamics MP322 Silenced Machine Pistol 'Whisper' (2-harm close/near autofire linked)
Catabatic Ltd. Automatic Shotgun (3-harm close/near loud messy autofire linked) "If it's not Catabatic, it's crap!"
Qarhartt Body Armor (2-armor)
5 Cred

Directives:
Masochistic: When you suffer one or more harm, mark experience.
Network: When your membership in Zeguma Force hinders the mission, mark experience.

Oasis Systems Mech 'Desert Warrior Mk II'
Frame: Mech
Design: Military
Profile: Power +2 Looks +1 Weakness +2 2-Armor
Strength: Rugged, Workhorse
Weakness: Slow, loud
Weapons: Pulse Cannon (2-harm near/far loud messy AP), Missile Launcher (5-harm far area messy breach)
Why? Stole it from Europa Security, so now they're looking for me too.

Corporation: 219 Adjustment Group. One of the largest military forces in the system, adjustment refers to their take on balance of power. They see their job as adjusting it in whichever way makes them the most money. While they do have various shells and fronts, most of them are fairly transparent and really just serve to organize their forces. Clearly, they don't claim to have a stake in most conflicts one way or another other than the money, but it's generally assumed that the C-levels have more money than Yeezus and are much more interested in playing politics. Notably, they haven't made any inroads into the lucrative Europa Market...yet. Everyone knows Director Clark isn't really a director of anything other than maybe PR. Who are the real power brokers behind 219? It's not something they want to reveal, that's for sure.

Fedor-II: File was fairly corrupt, but I think that was intentional. Here's the bits we were able to extract reliably, with commentary. Former warfighter for 219 Adjustment Group, Rank 9. Did not check in after Zeguma Force mission between 12 to 36 months ago. Zeguma Force: Multilateral (or so claimed) special operations elite combat group drawing personnel from the inner planets. Think ad-hoc old-style U.N. Peacekeepers with a side of DEVGRU and you're probably on the right track. Maybe reverse those two. Should be considered extremely dangerous and out for profit. I suspect he'd try to expose 219, but just a gut feeling. What happened on that mission? Morals are unknown. Probably not absent, though. There are multiple current bounties outstanding. Last spotted: 3-5 months ago, Charybdis Station, Saturn. Not a lot to go on. Still, I'd still try to hire this guy. If you want someone dead as gently caress, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II

"Ah, gently caress," I reply to Profit. "That screws that up pretty good then." I sigh and repeat the same thing to the crust of my sandwich. "Callisto to L5 would work for me."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II

"Uh, lightbulb problem solved," I report after the sizzle. "Emergency light on the mess works, though."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II
--:-- Harm | 2-armor | 1/10 XP | 5 Cred

Earlier...
"I assume this isn't exactly a recovery mission per se," I acknowledge over the comm channel, then cough sandwich bits into the mic. "In which case, sounds excellent to me."

Now...
We're reviewing the documents in what counts as a briefing room. Pretty cramped here with all of us, but it's probably better to sit down and actually hash this out. Something jumps out at me, so I point it out. "Rather, it's the lack of anything interesting. Navy man for eight years with nothing interesting going on? Four years private for the same non-corp employer? I don't buy it. Our boy KJ is hiding something. Nobody's record is that clean, unless it's been artificially chromed. So, what's his actual record?" I flick some controls, looking for hidden dataforks and poorly-redacted links.

Assessing KJ (Legwork): 2d6+0 7
What potential complication do I need to be wary of?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II
--:-- Harm | 2-armor | 1/10 XP | 3 Cred

"I barely fuckin' know the guy," I scoff, which is pretty true. "On the other hand, I do recognize him and I have learned my way around an obfuscated 219 HR file." I pause and scoot a few documents up to the main screen. "KJ Steiger, A K A, Rialles Tambour is a lot better than your average hauler pilot. He's also a better gunner." Some fuckery with the screen, this thing isn't perfect. "Sake AKA I have no loving idea but she's almost assuredly his pal. Between them, and with what Flores is telling us about that ship means it's loving loaded. So to answer your question, Spectre, I got no clue, other than to tell you it probably paid a lot better. Or they decided to get out for reasons. Wouldn't blame them for that, you know?"

I mull over a few options. "So either: someone waxed them and there's nothing there for us, someone's setting a trap, or they're faking their own deaths. Again. I'd bet on an ambush, but set by Tambour and Sake."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II

"I'm sure he knew the captain and engineer he hired to run that ship weren't who they claimed to be. Which, of course, is probably exactly why he hired them." I concur with Profit. "Not sure it's worth the energy to speculate on what the reasons behind this job are, at least not yet. We know it's not face value, but Amardeep wouldn't have hired us if it was."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II

I roll my eye at the mention of 'friends,' but that's not really the point. "Tambour probably would lean more towards upgunning rather than up-enginning, easier to set traps when running a merchant hull that way. Still, with a skilled engineer on crew the ship's probably got at least a couple of high-thrust tricks up her sleeve." At the mention of clamps, I've got another question. "Magsnap or shearbolt clamp, Flores?"

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 29, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II

"Mag is set for CLAMP," I report as the knob turns and the electromagnets pull the limbs and spine of the Warrior into travel position on the side of the Corrido. Combat-grade mechsuit and most importantly air umbilicials are in, and I'm reviewing the system readouts. "All clear, you have my sign-off for Go." It's a trap. It's a trap. It's a trap. We spotted the trap, and we're going right loving into it. My eyes spot the eject handle and note that my guns are properly on the tethers to come with me. "Sign-off expires in T minus 60. Let's rock and roll."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II

"Hey, now that's a smooth landing," I say, and I am truly impressed. Twin-axis evasion combined with precision docking and coming in with barely a slam is a hell of a job. "Mag set and reporting FREE in 3, 2, 1 -- mark!" I fire up the floodlights and start rotating through various sensor suite overlays. First order of business: secure the LZ and make sure we don't get popped before we can accomplish anything at all.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Edge +0 Style +1 Meat +2 Mind -1 Cool +0 Synth +1

"LZ currently secure and on lockdown," I report. "If anything moves in here I'll know it. But nothing's moving." Moments pass. "I find it hard to believe this thing is a powerless hulk. What's creeping out there?"

Assessing LZ: 2d6+0 4

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 6, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"We're obviously being watched," I comment to the cargo trash emptiness, but also to the team. Open comms and all. "Jamming yes, but zero is just as much a signal when you're watching the noise of an all-but-dead ship." Profit's comment rings in my ears as I sweep the Warrior's torso back and forth. "Military drones. Inop. Are any still present? Recons or Reapers? Something else?" And double-check that they're inop. Got a weird feeling about drones on a ship like this."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"He sold them out," I conclude. "Fucker." That's the way poo poo goes. "Doesn't seem like we've got - HANG ON. Live probe bearing down on me out of nowhere. Where'd it come from? I had this place locked fuckin' down." I swing the Warrior's pulse cannon around to bear, and wait for the reticle to lock. Gotta take this thing out before it reveals what we've done to the hold. Not that we're shady, per se. It's that this whole thing is.

Eliminating the Probe: 2d6+2 11

"Bogey is waxed," I report. "Waiting on kill confirmation. Double-check those drones, and be ready for poo poo popping up that we never saw." Traps on traps.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I consult the target tracking overlay, and give the info - "Target first spotted in grid one zero mark three five mark one seven on an effectively straight negative X vector right at me. It wasn't evasive."

I'll let xian decide what that means in terms of actual origin.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"Total G-limit is around 15, compensators are short-life, though. Set clamps for hop-on, Flores, I'll cover us until burn." I increase the sensitivity of my sensors. More noise, but clearly there's some things we weren't counting on here.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

We're back. The Warrior's charging in the vaguely-makeshift mechbay, and I'm out of the combat pressuresuit. It's chilly on the ship, but a light flight jacket and a cap that simply says "gently caress you" will do. Oh, and pants. I guess. I sit down near Mahrin; brought over two cans of Four El Clock JackRabbit. "Supplies definitely low," I quip as crack the cans for us. "So what the hell. Those two are still out there and still dangerous, though I'm gonna take a guess and say they aren't dangerous to us, at least not directly. Maybe hostile, but I bet they'll talk rather than fight once they hear what we know about the situation." This stuff tastes like a carbonated blue raspberry with a vague hint of swamp-rear end. Still, more or less gets the job done. "What do you think?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I try to sort the eavesdropped comms coming from Himalia Station. Who's shooting, what kind of damage is being seen, what platforms are involved. Are we looking at similar damage profiles to the Amaradeep? Can I determine the likely objective of the fighting?

Do I need to roll something?

• Locked thread