Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I work in an entertainment field and I live in Los Angeles. Because of this and other reasons, a large portion of the new people I come into contact with are aspiring actors, writers, artists... etc. I've noticed a trend in the last several years and that is that these types of people are re-orienting their aspirations with new media in mind. I met a person almost a week ago who told me that they were a “youtuber.” I asked to see their page, which had a modest audience of less than 200 viewers per video with around 30 videos posted. We watched one, which included footage of beaches, her feet, people eating lunch/acting pleasant, words to consider (Live for today, Believe, Dream, etc.) and an assortment of other poorly shot but inoffensive scenes of life.

A version of negative feedback that you can give to strangers is to not give any feedback or ask questions. I asked “What made you decide to do this?” and “Who are you attempting to emulate?” They said that they had been watching youtube videos for awhile and thought they'd like to give it a try. They told me that their “main youtube inspiration is Will Darbyshire.” I got home and I looked this person up. The first video I watched was of a young handsome English man immediately acknowledging the things he was afraid of, which included: making this video with a new haircut, standing up while making this video and how his audience (hundreds of thousands) would respond to this video given the circumstances (new haircut, standing up v. sitting down). I watched a second video which was eerily similar to the video the person from earlier showed me, but more professionally shot.

In the right context, discussing fear can be inspirational. That is if it's coming from someone who I could imagine respecting or aspiring toward. To know that someone competent, skilled or powerful, has banal fears can be comforting. To know that a simpering English youtube star is fearful and an overt narcissist is assumed. The appeal I see in a lot of youtube personalities is their humanity and honesty. For modern internet audiences that seems to be enough.

So with that I want to know who your main youtube inspiration is. I'll start: https://youtu.be/YraqQabax8A?t=46s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Cr1tikal is the best Youtuber I don't think this is actually debatable

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
the philipino gal who does all the different characters

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

There is a video of me with drat near 10,000 views. I know, it is a stunningly high amount. AMA, I'll answer if I have time. :grin:

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Putty posted:

Cr1tikal is the best Youtuber I don't think this is actually debatable

He's good. Commentiquette owns just as hard though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i can't figure out the right search terms to find him anymore or remember his name but there was this guy who did a cheap greenscreen sci-fi series starring literally only himself with the conceit that he played a bunch of clones in a world where there were only clones of the one character

he also went on about boiled peanuts a lot, and lived in a mobile home

sorry i can't find the videos but it was something

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Idiot Kicker posted:

He's good. Commentiquette owns just as hard though.

That guy is/was a goon, right?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I thought H3H3 was funny for a bit til you realize hes just as bad and lovely as the people he seems to think hes above and ridicules.

Martin Luther Kink
Oct 17, 2004
Barroom Hero

iSheep posted:

I thought H3H3 was funny for a bit til you realize hes just as bad and lovely as the people he seems to think hes above and ridicules.

I feel the same

e: not the Bonnie Raitt song.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really starting to build an audience with my Combat Mission: Red Thunder let's plays.

Next stop, Hollywood.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

if you want to be a youtuber it's a good idea to be a European twink boy.

Martin Luther Kink
Oct 17, 2004
Barroom Hero

a hole-y ghost posted:

if you want to be a youtuber it's a good idea to be a European twink boy.

Two out of three ain't bad

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Dorkopotamis posted:

I work in an entertainment field and I live in Los Angeles. Because of this and other reasons, a large portion of the new people I come into contact with are aspiring actors, writers, artists... etc. I've noticed a trend in the last several years and that is that these types of people are re-orienting their aspirations with new media in mind. I met a person almost a week ago who told me that they were a “youtuber.” I asked to see their page, which had a modest audience of less than 200 viewers per video with around 30 videos posted. We watched one, which included footage of beaches, her feet, people eating lunch/acting pleasant, words to consider (Live for today, Believe, Dream, etc.) and an assortment of other poorly shot but inoffensive scenes of life.

A version of negative feedback that you can give to strangers is to not give any feedback or ask questions. I asked “What made you decide to do this?” and “Who are you attempting to emulate?” They said that they had been watching youtube videos for awhile and thought they'd like to give it a try. They told me that their “main youtube inspiration is Will Darbyshire.” I got home and I looked this person up. The first video I watched was of a young handsome English man immediately acknowledging the things he was afraid of, which included: making this video with a new haircut, standing up while making this video and how his audience (hundreds of thousands) would respond to this video given the circumstances (new haircut, standing up v. sitting down). I watched a second video which was eerily similar to the video the person from earlier showed me, but more professionally shot.

In the right context, discussing fear can be inspirational. That is if it's coming from someone who I could imagine respecting or aspiring toward. To know that someone competent, skilled or powerful, has banal fears can be comforting. To know that a simpering English youtube star is fearful and an overt narcissist is assumed. The appeal I see in a lot of youtube personalities is their humanity and honesty. For modern internet audiences that seems to be enough.

So with that I want to know who your main youtube inspiration is. I'll start: https://youtu.be/YraqQabax8A?t=46s

hey, at least she wasn't an aspiring vine superstar

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's my rear end on a yt video somewhere since 2006 but I can't find it

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

iSheep posted:

i don't care if he's a super nice person and stuff, his videos are some of the funniest

dunkey is the best video game guy and commentiquette rules

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
also, people having youtube inspirations is just one more reason why civilization can't end quickly enough

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What's with those Youtube Red exclusive shows. Seems like a failure. No one is going to pay for Youtube.

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Venturing into youtube is actually not an entirely bad idea for someone who wants to get into acting, writing, music etc. If someone takes the right steps, good camera, lighting, video editing skills, using the right tags, descriptions, pictures, titles, having a niche, etc it is really not that hard to make some decent side income off of a channel. Getting the blog out there takes a little more effort, but again, it's totally doable to get a lot of viewers.

It's really hard to find information about how much an average youtuber makes since there are risks of getting an account shut down and obviously if someone has made that their livelihood they don't want to risk that. However I did know a girl who would casually upload videos a few times a year and she said she usually makes about $100 a month off of that. Not sure how many videos she had over the years. But anyway, making an income is definitely doable via Youtube if someone wants to put in the effort. And for someone into entertainment of whatever kind, it's really not a bad avenue at all if it means getting paid to do something you like.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
PewDiePie

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Trojan.exe posted:

Venturing into youtube is actually not an entirely bad idea for someone who wants to get into acting, writing, music etc. If someone takes the right steps, good camera, lighting, video editing skills, using the right tags, descriptions, pictures, titles, having a niche, etc it is really not that hard to make some decent side income off of a channel. Getting the blog out there takes a little more effort, but again, it's totally doable to get a lot of viewers.

It's really hard to find information about how much an average youtuber makes since there are risks of getting an account shut down and obviously if someone has made that their livelihood they don't want to risk that. However I did know a girl who would casually upload videos a few times a year and she said she usually makes about $100 a month off of that. Not sure how many videos she had over the years. But anyway, making an income is definitely doable via Youtube if someone wants to put in the effort. And for someone into entertainment of whatever kind, it's really not a bad avenue at all if it means getting paid to do something you like.

yes, but at a certain point you have to tell your parents you make your money from youtube videos. that's worse than being a twitter comedian

drell102
May 11, 2014

The idea of people seeing youtuber as a career path has always been pretty weird to me just due to the seemingly random nature that they get big.

I like Jesse cox, I've been watching his stuff for years and he always been a really genuine and funny guy, also IIxMadManxIIMedia is good although his channel name is pretty awful

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

the best youtuber is ricktic3 its not really a contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhalpfzzFEo

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSE4Mui8USs

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

if both of those people died right now the world would be a better place

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

iSheep posted:

I liked it when he did those .exe vids but not the make fun of other people stuff

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Horniest Manticore posted:

if both of those people died right now the world would be a better place

dont worry the rickster has like 2 years left to live tops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6k_Gnfbfs

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 18, 2016

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

im gaye posted:

dont worry the rickster has like 2 years left to live tops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_6k_Gnfbfs

lol like i'm clicken that

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Alright I don't care that much about youtube or the people on youtube, but from a business management perspective I genuinely would like to hear you talk a bit more about your experiences re: feedback and criticism, because it seems like you have some valuable experinece in that area that I would like to learn from. I'm talking about stuff like this:

Dorkopotamis posted:

A version of negative feedback that you can give to strangers is to not give any feedback or ask questions. I asked “What made you decide to do this?” and “Who are you attempting to emulate?”

Do you have anything else you can tell us about your experiences with this sort of thing? :)

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Horniest Manticore posted:

lol like i'm clicken that

ok try this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAN2DCPX7ZQ

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 18, 2016

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Markiplier

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Minimalist Program posted:

Do you have anything else you can tell us about your experiences with this sort of thing? :)

My experience is pretty specific and I'm not sure how helpful it is, but I can tell you this: If someone, who I don't know, asks me for feedback on something I don't like and have no investment in: I will not give negative feedback, because it wouldn't help them or me. In this example the person was in the beginning of their pursuit and would get better or burn out naturally. Negative feedback might cause them to fold early or dislike me, which I don't want because I might see them or, even worse, work with them down the road.

But, I assume it's universally understood that if you ask someone for feedback on something and they don't say anything positive or negative about that thing, then they didn't like that thing, but are a polite person and are otherwise not invested. Asking questions that might have them come to their own conclusion is a small mercy, but a person's own advice is likely the advice they're most willing to accept, from what I've seen. So if you can say something like "Tell me what your idealized version of this project looks like and how do you see yourself getting closer to that?" it might cause them to infer your meaning and ground their thinking to focus on the process. Of course it might not do anything and who cares.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Dorkopotamis posted:

My experience is pretty specific and I'm not sure how helpful it is, but I can tell you this: If someone, who I don't know, asks me for feedback on something I don't like and have no investment in: I will not give negative feedback, because it wouldn't help them or me. In this example the person was in the beginning of their pursuit and would get better or burn out naturally. Negative feedback might cause them to fold early or dislike me, which I don't want because I might see them or, even worse, work with them down the road.

But, I assume it's universally understood that if you ask someone for feedback on something and they don't say anything positive or negative about that thing, then they didn't like that thing, but are a polite person and are otherwise not invested. Asking questions that might have them come to their own conclusion is a small mercy, but a person's own advice is likely the advice they're most willing to accept, from what I've seen. So if you can say something like "Tell me what your idealized version of this project looks like and how do you see yourself getting closer to that?" it might cause them to infer your meaning and ground their thinking to focus on the process. Of course it might not do anything and who cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djnnj03eKh4

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

CharlesM posted:

PewDiePie

This guy is getting his own "show" that involves stupid situations to 'scare' him. :cripes:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
i used to like youtube before they started removing a bunch of copyrighted music

and to add insult to injury theyd fill the search results with a bunch of rando nobodies doing bad covers instead

Divine Styler
Apr 8, 2005

quantum mechanic

im gaye posted:

the best youtuber is ricktic3 its not really a contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhalpfzzFEo

Wow, this guy is awesome... and oddly inspiring.

Subbed.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JWEf9TDjU

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
I follow this middle aged bald korean-american guy who demos super expensive guitar gear, but is an extremely mediocre player. He's the best

A lot of Youtube content is a bad version of things that already existed in old media. And those weren't any good to begin with. That Youtubers React series is pretty cool to watch though, no one seems to get the meaning of anything, like they've got zero cultural awareness.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
the chick with big knockers that somehow got moderately famous making cake from boxed mixes because she puts like a steven universe character on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like the young man who screams about minecraft

• Locked thread