Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Valgaav posted:

A) Bulbasaur is no longer the first pokemon in the National Dex (Victini being #000)
B and D) Arceus and Mew's backstories are completely incompatible.
Therefore, the correct answer is C.

Victini is #494 and is special being the only legendary to follow after a previous gen's legendary.

Arceus created the Pokemon world and then a load of Mew, which then became a load of other Pokemon. So far, only six Pokemon are explicitly stated to have been created by Arceus (creation trio and lake trio), so they cannot have come from Mew, but every other Pokemon can be, unless otherwise stated.

The only claim to fame Rhydon has is it was most likely the first one programmed in, but as stated, Mew was trademarked back in 1990, so it definitely wasn't the first Pokemon thought up.

Edit: Oh, uh, hey new page. There's a real rad LP on the previous page, you should definitely give it a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You know, I've always heard the story that Mew was snuck into the code last minute before it was sent to be put on carts, but that doesn't seem consistent with it's internal ID or how early it was copyrighted. Is that story made up by fans?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

hopeandjoy posted:

You know, I've always heard the story that Mew was snuck into the code last minute before it was sent to be put on carts, but that doesn't seem consistent with it's internal ID or how early it was copyrighted. Is that story made up by fans?

I don't think so. I remember reading it in an interview, maybe an Iwata Asks, or something.

Edit: It's in the Iwata Asks for HG/SS. http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...ain-225842.html

quote:

Morimoto:
We put Mew in right at the very end. The cartridge was really full and there wasn’t room for much more on there. Then the debug features which weren't going to be included in the final version of the game were removed, creating a miniscule 300 bytes of free space. So we thought that we could slot Mew in there. What we did would be unthinkable nowadays!

Ishihara:
This is in spite of being told after debug ended that you weren’t to tamper with even a single bit! (laughs wryly)

Iwata:
What’s the point of going through all the trouble of the debug process if you’re going to go and fiddle with the game afterwards…? I’d venture that this all came from Morimoto-san’s mischievous nature.

Morimoto:
Well, it was a prank that everyone right up to Tajiri-san was in on. But even though Mew was in there…

Iwata:
…It wasn't actually supposed to appear in the game, right?

Morimoto:
Right. Unless we could think about any good opportunity to do so, the existence of Mew wouldn’t have been revealed to the public. It was left in there in case it was suitable for some post-launch activity. But if there wasn’t anyone among ourselves who wanted to use it, I thought it would be fine to just leave it as it was.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hopeandjoy posted:

Something can be designed, given allowances in the programming (aka an internal ID) and even copyrighted, but then get dummied out. And then, right before the game prints, they can undummy it again and finish up the last bits of data needed to make it "official".

The story can still be consistent, is what I'm saying, especially because even if it wasn't in the game, Mew still existed in the lore of the game as a truly mythical entity, one that got captured and cloned/bred to create Mewtwo.

It'd be like saying that Gestahl was supposed to be a party member in FF6 because he's an important character and has a battle sprite (explicitly for the scenes regarding Leo's death and his own, actually)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 24, 2016

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Say hello to MISSINGNO. (That doesn't rhyme, I swear.) Missingno. is world-famous. This isn't the way he was discovered, but now you know how to encounter him as early as you want. But what IS he?

Basically, he is a "glitch Pokémon" which is basically the result of taking non-Pokémon data and interpreting it as Pokémon data. More details on that are available in this article. Glitched sprite aside, there isn't too much more of interest about him, aside from his...unique ability.

See this? When you encounter Missingno., the 6th item in your inventory is incremented by 128 if it wasn't that high already. Yes. That's not 9 Rare Candies, that's 129. Item stacks don't normally go above 99!

Normally I would say "I have no words" but I can talk about why that happens, and it's a bit of a mouthful. See, in the RAM, the game stores the inventory data right after the "Seen" flags. Missingno.'s dex number is technically 000, which the game thinks is 256, so seeing it sets the 256th flag - but there's only 152 reserved Seen flags, so it sets a bit in your inventory!

Thus the item duplication glitch was born! Duplicate your Rare Candies and never grind again. Duplicate Full Restores and never faint again. Duplicate Nuggets. Duplicate TMs. Duplicate MASTER BALLS. Just put the item you want duplicated in the 6th slot, and away you go!

However, DON'T duplicate Key Items. Otherwise when you deposit them you'll wind up with 128 bike vouchers or whatever. Key Items don't stack and you can't get rid of them the normal way.

Moving on, I take the underground path so I can pick this up and duplicate it.

Welcome to Lavender Town, home of terrible internet ghost stories.

We're here for the Pokémon Tower, which I technically don't have to do, but to get the Master Ball, you have to go to Silph Co. which only opens up after the Pokémon Tower.

But I don't have the Silph Scope, so this might be an issue.

This is embarrassing, really. No matter which Pokémon you send out they'll ALWAYS be scared. Charizard? Blastoise? MEWTWO? Too scared. But, if we view the sprite of a Pokémon in the menu...

The ghost's form is revealed!

And Mew is still too scared to move. This is purely cosmetic.

You can also do it to the Marowak ghost.

How about YOU :getout: Go, PokéDoll!

It, it WORKED?! I guess they didn't account for the possibility of using an escape item there.

Wait...was that PokéDoll...shaped like a Cubone?...Oh god I'm a horrible person.

Lavender Town's good for one thing, though: It's the perfect setup for item duplication. Teleport away from that Fisherman, then lose to that Gambler.

By the way, changing Gamblers to "Gamers" in the remakes is the dumbest thing ever. Especially when the slot machines are still there!

Now, I bet you're all wondering...

...what will happen if I capture Missingno.?

Oh...a blank dex entry with glitch sounds...how does he weigh that much?

In the Japanese version, there's actually text there that reads "comment to be written". Some theorize that Missingno. is a placeholder for Pokémon that were ultimately cut, because there's actually 39 Missingno. in the game and the developers have stated that they intended to have 190 Pokémon in Generation 1.

Yes I'd like to -- wait WHAT.

Okay, I have an explanation for this, too. The game actually has an error handler of sorts: viewing a glitch Pokémon's dex entry causes it to turn into a Rhydon. Why Rhydon? I imagine because his ID is 0x01, making him the earliest "legal" Pokémon. This only happens once, however, because now Missingno.'s caught flag has been set.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. If you want to stop this from happening in the first place, encounter a Cubone. Why? Because the "Caught" flags are stored before the "Seen" flags. Remember, Missingno.'s dex number is 256, there are 152 "Caught" flags, and the 104th "Seen" flag is...Cubone's. I could view him in the PokéDex right now, even.

So I capture another one, and by the way, capturing him also causes the item duplication thing, so if you swap the sixth items with the select button, you could duplicate two items in one encounter. Anyhow, let's see his stats.

Nice...icon?

Bird type and TWO Water Guns, that's just hilarious!

There are, naturally, other glitch Pokémon out there, but I'll get them later. Can't have too much fun at once, right?

Oh yeah, before I forget, Pokémon with glitched sprites cause the Hall of Fame to get corrupted, because the game's trying to uncompress invalid data which then spills over into the Hall of Fame data. This is permanent even if you don't save. If you're not in the Hall of Fame yet, this doesn't really matter, so if you care about that data, do all your item duplications before that point. Or beat the Elite 4 twenty more times since the Hall of Fame eventually starts throwing out data on a first-in-first-out basis.

Glitch Pokémon can also cause this effect if they're your lead as a battle starts: Your sprite is scrambled, and the enemy faces the wrong way.

Attacking...does THAT. Looks very painful. You can fix this problem by viewing any dex entry or party member's stats screen.

Anyways, now that the basics of glitch Pokémon are laid out, I ask you...how would the Stadium games respond to them?

In Stadium 1, they show up as the Substitute doll, which is pretty funny. (Ignore the second doll showing up in the corner, that's an emulator problem.) Sadly you can't select any of them for battles.

Selecting one in this big list also causes the game to crash. And as for Stadium 2...

They turn into Ditto! They apparently can only enter battle with an item, which is strange. This lets you "convert" any glitch Pokémon you don't want anymore if you need to for whatever reason. Oh, and you'll notice that's not Ditto's normal color. That's because the Stadium games sometimes recolor your Pokémon based on their nickname. It's not really a "shiny" Pokémon like what Gen 2 has, though Stadium 2 does have shiny colors for anything that's shiny.

Speaking of Stadium 2, it has a bug of its own: Enter any battle mode, win a battle, then suspend. Then enter any Stadium mode and earn one extra continue. Now, should you lose a battle in that run, all you have to do is select "Suspend", and then "Continue without suspending" and it'll let you continue...conveniently forgetting to subract one continue. Oops!

Anyhow, back to crazy glitches. This one is huge. For safety reasons, I deposited my entire inventory and bought six junk items.

I encounter Missingno. to duplicate the sixth item, then toss two of them. This leaves me with 127 Antidotes.

I encounter him again, leaving me with 255 Antidotes. This game does NOT like the number 255 at all. For example, if I toss an item above the 255 stack in the list...

That happens. See, the game shifted every item up one space - but it STOPPED at the 255 stack! And you can keep tossing items above it to duplicate even more!

Ever wanted to mass-duplicate your items? Now you can! But there's a problem - every tossed item makes the game think there's one less item in the inventory than you actually have, which shifts up where it thinks the Cancel button is. You can buy more items to correct this, but you'll probably lose items below the 255 stacks. That does mean you can get rid of un-tossable items you don't need, however.

This next trick has two methods. I'll explain the one I didn't use first: Any item below the cancel button will still be read by events that take away an item, like the thirsty guards, the girl on the roof of the department store, or even the fossil guy in Cinnabar Island. If you keep tossing stacks of 255 items the game will eventually think there are zero items in your bag. Then you do one of those events I mentioned, the game takes the item and subtracts one from your inventory. 0 minus 1 is...heh, you'll see.

As for the method I'm using? Well, first let me explain one of the weirdest functions of the inventory: The select button swaps items, yes, but attempting to swap two stacks of the same item MERGES the two stacks. You know, just in case you bought two stacks of 99 Potions and then at some point use 50 from each stack and want to merge them. I have no idea why they thought you would need that feature, but here's what it means for me: The game thinks I only have one item at this point, but I can still swap with the second stack of Antidotes.

I toss 253 Antidotes out of the first stack, then swap it with the second stack. I wind up with 1 Antidote remaining for some reason. I swap the two stacks again.

You'll want to be in a Pokémon Center at this point for safety reasons. The game now thinks I have 255 items because it tried to subtract 1 from however many items I have, and it thought I had 0, so it caused an underflow!

Scroll down far enough and what do we find?

We find other parts of the game's RAM interpreted as items! There's only RAM space for 20 items, after all! But be VERY careful. There's bound to be glitch items in here with garbled names. Some of them are so long you have to push A multiple times to scroll through them. If the menu stops working, carefully push A multiple times until it starts working again. Do NOT accidentally select a glitch item.

So, what can we do in here? We can manipulate the game RAM in multiple ways. I recommend keeping the RAM map handy just in case. Swapping the right items can cause you to alter game settings, mess with variables that track progress, and even WRONG-WARP. Me, I want to see if there are any curious items in here I can use.

Hello, what have we HERE?

I've observed that some glitch items are safest to view in the Pokémon Center. However, while outside, I found THAT. I'm nowhere near a PC, though, and I don't want to swap items without knowing what they represent in the RAM. Maybe there's a safer way to get any item I please.

So I figured if I used this glitch to deposit items from the RAM I wouldn't mess anything up. But it turns out that the quantity of those Master Balls represent my Trainer ID. Oops! Now all my Pokémon will stop obeying me, because my ID doesn't match theirs, and I have no badges at all!

Then again, with duplicatable Master Balls, I could just catch new ones.

The mis-matched ID number even makes the game think your file is completely new and asks if you're sure you want to overwrite it, which always happens in every Generation after the first.

To fix your inventory, just keep purchasing items until you're back where you were. The game can thankfully overflow to reverse the underflow effect.

So, let's check out what these unused items do!

WHAT.

Well then. This thing lets me Surf with no badge! It's known as the "Surfboard" item for that reason. This is too awesome. I figured I would need the Soul Badge to Surf, but no need for that silly thing now!

Now what could this possibly do?

Predictably, it lets you view the PokéDex, suggesting they were going to make it a Key Item, not a menu option. Except it even works in battle and takes up a turn! What, was it going to be like the Final Fantasy Scan spell?...That'd be pretty awesome, actually.

However, using it in battle has a rather...nasty effect on the graphics. So this got me thinking...would the Surfboard do anything in battle?

Wh...what...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rWDdoaHWxk

I'm...I'm shocked I've never seen that before. When it happened I was choking with laughter.

What actually happens is, the Surfboard changed the sound bank the game was set to load from. It has different sound banks for battle noises and map noises, I guess? Oh yeah, and since I'm dumb and didn't show it, throwing a Ball in that state plays the "Oak rates your PokéDex" noise. Try it out yourself if you like.

Anyhow, we should probably move on with the game now, as we can now enter Fuschia City. And you know what that means?

Ha. Haha. AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 24, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh my god, that Splash sound is perfect.

So is there a reason Missingno has that distinctive shape?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

So is there a reason Missingno has that distinctive shape?

According to the Smogon article, it's because Missingno. is defined as having an 8x8 (in tiles) size front sprite when the usual maximum for front sprites is 7x7. Basically it broke the sprite display function but managed to not crash. I don't know the specifics of it, though.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I know nothing about any Pokemon games, but this is fascinating to read/watch.

Keep up the good work!

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I grew up with the Gen 1 games, and I remember having my mind blown when my neighbors and I colluded around to figure out how to work the Missingno glitch for the first time. :allears:

Ever since then I never get tired of seeing what crazy poo poo the programming will spit at you if you poke it with a stick.

Habla bahabla
Aug 3, 2015
Gotta love Glitch heavy LPs. I knew this game was broken but this is just..

This reminds me of TASes where they break Gen 1 games (usually Yellow) so thoroughly that arbitrary code can be executed.

Here's a great example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UnB1fomvAw

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Welcome back! No, you're not color blind, I've just switched to a different emulator. I'm using TGB-Dual this time, because unlike VBA, TGB-Dual can actually emulate non-GBA Link Cables. That's right, today's madness involves a Cable Club glitch! But first...

You probably never noticed that the fossil you didn't take at Mt. Moon ends up in the Pokémon Zoo. But I never took a fossil, so the sign's blank.

With that out of the way, let's have a look at the worst idea ever conceived in Pokémon history: The Safari Zone. A grassy maze mandatory for your progress in this game...WITH a time limit. I'm sure it'll be good for something, though.

The battle system they made sure isn't though. Instead of combatting anything in here normally, they give you three options: Rocks that double both the catch rate and run rate of the enemy, bait that halves them instead, and what are effectively Ultra Balls. You have no attack options, so capturing like this is both frustrating and pointless, since I'm pretty sure there's nothing here you can't get elsewhere.

Lucky for us, there's a loophole. Let's go for a swim, and let's talk programming: In this game, entering an area makes the game load a list of possible grass, sea, and fishing encounters for that area. If there are none, like in a town, the game loads nothing and keeps what was there before. No biggy, right?

Check this out. It's the shoreline of the Seafoam Island. In the Japanese versions, the lower-right part of any given square determines:

1. Whether or not the square gives encounters
2. What kind of encounter, land or sea?

However, the International versions made a big, gigantic goof. For some crazy reason, they made #2 determined by the lower-LEFT part of the square. That means the shoreline here will give grass encounters. Even though I'm surfing. Because the left part of the square is land, right?

Figured it out yet? The game didn't load any grass encounters for the route because there are none. It has to use what it already had loaded from an earlier area. In other words...

Surprise! Safari Zone encounters outside the Safari Zone. No need to deal with the broken encounter system, just toss Master Balls! But if you know ANYTHING about Generation 1, you know there are bigger exploits to be had.

Well, for that, I need to get poisoned. Those Bikers on the Cycling Road should do nicely for this.

What's that? I didn't exchange the Bike Voucher yet? I need a bike to get past?

HA! No I don't! Just hold left and mash B at the gate and you'll get past eventually.

Even when you get past, though, you get a bike out of thin air. You also can't surf on this route because, and I quote, "Cycling is fun! Forget Surfing!" Goes to show the tastes of the protagonist. This guy would take a bike over surfing on the back of Gamera. Oh, but you'll love this:

The surfboard still works!

And when you get back on land, you're walking again. Anyhow, back to business.

Bingo! Poison, check.

Teleport right back and deposit everything but what you got poisoned.

Now I set up the second Game Boy. I've loaded it with a copy of the save I've been using.

I believe either trading or battling could work. I'm not sure if battling heals your team, which we don't want at this moment.

Dunno why, but this text box amuses me. If you walk through walls and talk to the Pokémon in the zoo, they just have the "!" as text also.

I think you have to enter the trade menu then exit. I do this anyways just in case.

Take note of what the menu looks like. Keep walking around the room as your Pokémon takes poison damage.

Eventually it will faint, and you'll black out. We black out a lot, should probably have that checked out, come to think of it.

Aha! The escape artist at work once again. Now that we're in this state, the menu has a Reset button instead of Save. Past this point, if you want to save, you need to change PC boxes, or attempt to enter the Cable Club again since that saves automatically.

Now let's get back in the water and--

Oh. You can't use items in the Cable Club, and the game thinks we're still there. Huh...guess I am getting Koga's badge after all.

Well, no problem, it's right here and all.

I'm sure Janine had nothing to do with that decision, heh heh.

So we fight this guy and we

wait WHAT

Yes, if you escape the Cable Club, all enemy trainers get replaced by the second player's team. Any AI the enemy trainer had is still there, though.

You know what I'm thinking? I'm thinking I could replace every trainer in the game with a weak team and run them all over even quicker!

Cheapskate.

I am a descendant of the static abyss! Chaos itself is my ancestor!

Er...that looks bad.

...uh...I guess the game only refreshes the enemy team if you went to the Colosseum?

Sheesh look at that life bar!

Yes, those are three status effects at once. He's frozen so he can't do anything and taking down that health bar would take ages, so forget this.

To fix this mess, go back to the Cable Club. You'll be rejected due to inactivity, but this will put the game back into a normal state.

OR NOT. Arrrgh. Okay, save, reset, reload.

Fortunately, that wasn't all for nothing. The Cable Club does something very, very funny.

It stores the other player's name...in the RAM space reserved for grass encounters.

Uh-oh. UH-OH.

BEHOLD. No Generation 1 player doesn't know about the Old Man glitch, where you view the capture tutorial then surf along the shoreline to get encounters based on your own name. I've done the same thing, only I've used the other player's name by going in the Cable Club and escaping with a black out. It works like so: the third, fifth, and seventh letters of your name determine the species of what you'll find. The second, fourth and sixth characters determine the levels. Remember this list?

This, however, I have no explanation for. I mean. 253 is 0xFD in hex, and you can't get that in your name...

Why is it based on the players' names? Well, the Old Man tutorial temporarily changes your name and inventory. The game has to store your name someplace else so it can copy it back after the tutorial is done, and they just so happened to put it where the grass encounters were.

This is, in fact, how Missingno. was initially discovered, though I imagine they must have gotten it by trading with an NPC on Cinnabar Island and then surfing on the shoreline. Trading with an NPC causes nothing but Level 80 Missingno. to appear here, because the NPC's name gets used for the trick, but that name is always an 0x5D byte (which makes the game print "TRAINER") and then nothing but 0x50 End-of-string bytes.

It's so famous a glitch that it's the only glitch to get an official statement from Nintendo, where they wussed out and tried their very best to get people to obey the rules of the game and not have fun exploring it. Hence, some European versions of the game desperately tried to patch it out.

The glitch works just fine in the French versions. In the Spanish and Italian versions, the relevant tiles give out surf encounters like they were supposed to - unless you're walking through walls, in which case it still works.

In the German versions, the glitch still works, but the Germans have a new trick up their sleeves. These versions let you put Ä, Ö, Ü, ä, ö, and ü in your name. This allows German players to find certain glitch Pokémon through this trick. I mean, you could just use the Mew Glitch, but this trick is so much funnier. Think about it. This trick was inadvertantly added in the International releases. Great to see Nintendo localization was as great back then as it is today.

Now that the painfully long explanation is out of the way, what else can we find at this point?

This is 'M, or M-block. Its ID is 000, and you might wonder how this is showing up, since obviously 0x00 isn't in my name. Well, it is - it's in the ninth, tenth and eleventh characters. You can only input seven letters for your name, but there's space for eleven. That also means that if you pick a preset name (Ash, Jack, etc.) you can't encounter 'M this way at all, because it copies 11 letters into your name if you pick a preset name. Anyways, 'M has all the properties of Missingno. including item duplication and moveset. He has some interesting qualities of his own, however.

For one, because his ID is 000, he can't be captured using the Mew Glitch. Oh sure, if the special stat you're using goes over 256 it loops back to 0, but for some reason, a special of 0 or 256 results in a blank text box with no encounter. Only the Old Man glitch (and some trickier methods) lets you see him.

Also, even after capture, he still attacks. This is VERY odd. After capturing, even if you steal from an enemy trainer, the battle is supposed to end, but this ONE glitch Pokémon continues attacking after the fact. So let's capture it again!

I'm...I'm not even going to ask how.

Now remember, Level 0 Pokémon are hard to get out of the PC because the game will probably crash upon their withdrawal, so be careful about sending them there.

The stats calculate correctly if you go over level 100, though. Look at how beautiful this is.

This, on the other hand, is just sad. Time for Rare Candies!

Oh man. 'M evolves to Kangaskhan at Level 1, did I forget to mention? This led to the insane theory that 'M is Kangaskhan's baby, which makes no sense, its ID is 000. In fact, have you ever used a Gameshark to battle while having zero Pokémon? 'M is what you send out if this happens.

On the other hand, 'M has the same TMs and learnset as Missingno., so really, Kangaskhan just gained access to Fly and Sky Attack. Ever ridden in the pouch of a giant flying kangaroo as it soars at the speed of sound? You'd use Water Sport in an instant if you did!

Oh yeah, you can use Rare Candies to send the limit-broken Pokémon to Level 255, but one more Rare Candy after that drops them to Level 0. So don't do that.

Next, we visit an old friend. This is Ghost Missingno.. Three of the 39 Missingno. have actual sprites, those being the Lavender Ghost, and the two skeletons of Kabutops and Aerodactyl from the Pewter Museum. Ever been walking along the beach and had a giant skeleton dig its way out of the sands, screaming at you for blood? You'd drop your Balls right there if you did!

These Missingno. have the item duplication ability as usual, and because the sprites are valid, encountering them won't corrupt the Hall of Fame unless they're captured and sent out in battle - and even then it might be okay, as they will attempt to copy either the enemy's sprite or the sprite of the last Pokémon in your party. I say "attempt" because if the sprite they're copying isn't in the same data bank as their own sprite, then you get a glitch block. They also have a unique property: Their stats and learnset are that of the most recent Pokémon to get loaded into the game's memory, whether viewed in the PokéDex, encountered, or viewed on the title screen. In other words, this Missingno. can have the stats of any Pokémon you want and any move you want.

There's one other thing I can show at the moment...

Yes, I poo poo you not, I found the RIVAL on the shoreline. It's that backslash in my name. It would have generated a Pokémon with an ID above 200, but anytime that happens, the game thinks, "Oh there's no way that's a legal Pokémon so it must be a trainer."

Now, that begs the question: What will his team be? Funny story. If you generate a trainer with the Mew Glitch, the attack modifier determines the team instead of the level of the Pokémon. Now not all trainer classes have 7 teams defined, so the game interprets junk data as their team and you might run into glitch Pokémon, and if their ID is over 200 then they'll appear just fine then.

But that's just the Mew Glitch. For whatever reason, trainers encountered with the Old Man glitch derive their team from someplace completely different, and the number of the team is determined by your most recent trainer battle elsewhere. Very, very odd. It's the same for every class, though. So what's our Rival got for us as he secretly trains on the Seaform shores?

There were two of these. Fittingly, their cry is a slowed down version of the Champion theme.

This one is nicknamed "Glitcherino" for obvious reason.

By the way, if your Pokémon is over level 100 it gets sent back to Level 100 anytime it earns EXP. Also, don't level up in a glitch battle like this or it'll have this loud BEEP noise the entire fight.

He also had a regular Missingno. in addition to this.

Finally, we have a surprisingly normal Flareon.

He says nothing when beaten, and we move on with no other issues. Trainers appearing in the wild...that is scary. Game Freak's not watching, are they?

BUT, the Champion Rival has one unique property. Beating him causes the victory music to not stop when you get back to the map, and the music will also not change from whatever's playing unless you change maps or enter battle. It's pretty amusing to have the Title theme playing on the overworld, but it can get annoying. The only way to fix it, as far as I know, is to beat the Elite Four for real, so I'm stuck with this for awhile, haha.

There are also trainers that can only be encountered with glitches. I couldn't screenshot it but I found a glitch trainer that just freezes when encountered. There is also the unused "Silph Chief" who just looks like a Scientist and has no real teams. There is also an unused trainer class WITH real teams...

PROFESSOR OAK HIMSELF. (Not my video)

Yes, apparently they wanted you to battle him at some point, and he has three teams, one for each starter, suggesting that last starter was going to go somewhere after all. What a great idea. Of all the things to take out...sigh.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 5, 2016

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

It is pretty hilarious that you can force so many memory values to be run somewhere they're not supposed to be yet the game just happily rolls along as the graphics devour themselves

For non-programmers: This is why type safety is important

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Great stuff here. I knew the game was a buggy mess, but I had no idea you could manipulate the bugginess in so many different ways instead of just walking out of bounds, catching level 101+ Pokemon, and destroying your save file. It's also really cool to see explanations for why everything works (or fails to work) the way it does. A lot of why this is so good is your presentation: you show off and dissect absolutely mind-bending things in a way that's easy to understand.

I checked to see if you did any other LPs--I had no idea you were that guy who did the only F-Zero GX LP on YouTube that doesn't suck! I discovered it on YouTube before I had any idea what the Let's Play subforum was. Years later, I still remember how clearly you broke down the components of the game's insane difficulty (and your rant about the Grand Prix). No wonder this LP is so good!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fullhouse posted:

It is pretty hilarious that you can force so many memory values to be run somewhere they're not supposed to be yet the game just happily rolls along as the graphics devour themselves

For non-programmers: This is why type safety is important

There are no types in assembly :unsmigghh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Ephraim225 posted:

Yes, I poo poo you not, I found the RIVAL on the shoreline.

Considering his team, I think it's more likely that a column of sand rose up from the beach and assumed the shape of your rival. "Wanna battle? :getin:"

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Clearly, TPP knew what was up. Flareon hanging around with glitch Pokemon? It's up to something.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I find it interesting that even though they kept the idea of an Oak battle (in that "ultimate but optional trainer battle" sense) with Red in GSC and Cynthia in BW, the only people you ever see with a team that changes based on your starter choice are rivals, even now.

SilverGryphon posted:

Clearly, TPP knew what was up. Flareon hanging around with glitch Pokemon? It's up to something.

I figure that's totally something to do with Pokemon Yellow, if that's what Ephraim is on. The rival's Eevee evolves in different ways depending on what actions you take, and it's pretty likely the data for that is stored in a different sector than the rest of the team.

EDIT: In particular, there's two battles with the rival before the game "locks in" their Eevee evolution - the unavoidable fight at the beginning of the game, and the totally skippable fight right outside the Indigo Plateau. If you win both fights, the rival has a Jolteon, if you lose both (or lose the first and skip the second) he has a Vaporeon, and if you only win once (either place) it turns into a Flareon. Since Ephraim won the starting fight and never did the Indigo Plateau fight...

EDIT2: Then again, looking at it, the rival has the R/B sprite, not the Yellow sprite, so I don't even know what the gently caress.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 28, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

I find it interesting that even though they kept the idea of an Oak battle (in that "ultimate but optional trainer battle" sense) with Red in GSC and Cynthia in BW, the only people you ever see with a team that changes based on your starter choice are rivals, even now.

I figure that's totally something to do with Pokemon Yellow, if that's what Ephraim is on. The rival's Eevee evolves in different ways depending on what actions you take, and it's pretty likely the data for that is stored in a different sector than the rest of the team.

EDIT: In particular, there's two battles with the rival before the game "locks in" their Eevee evolution - the unavoidable fight at the beginning of the game, and the totally skippable fight right outside the Indigo Plateau. If you win both fights, the rival has a Jolteon, if you lose both (or lose the first and skip the second) he has a Vaporeon, and if you only win once (either place) it turns into a Flareon. Since Ephraim won the starting fight and never did the Indigo Plateau fight...

He's playing Blue, I think.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hopeandjoy posted:

He's playing Blue, I think.

Yeah, I noticed that when I looked back at the sprites, that's explicitly the R/B Champion sprite, it's not used anywhere in Yellow or anywhere else in R/B. I don't know what the gently caress. Something something false prophet.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Two possible theories about the Flareon come to mind:

1) The random data it reads just so happens to match up with a viable Lv. 37 Flareon

2) All Flareons are glitches.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

With how weird the glitches get, the fact that, in between all the glitching, there's a perfectly normal Flareon only somehow adds to the weirdness. It's so out of place.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Blaze Dragon posted:

With how weird the glitches get, the fact that, in between all the glitching, there's a perfectly normal Flareon only somehow adds to the weirdness. It's so out of place.

Is it out of place...

...or does it explain everything...

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
What kinda weirdo doesn't play Blue version? I mean the Old Man trick doesn't even work in Yellow, so.

Here's a more in-depth explanation of Old Man trick trainers from this page on a really good glitch site.

quote:

The glitch Trainers encountered through the old man glitch always have the same rosters.

The roster loaded depends on the memory address D05D. Normally this value is 00, but encountering a Trainer writes that Trainer's roster value to it. This value is kept after battle, so more than one type of old man trick Trainer can be battled.

And on that page is a list of the first ten possible teams. I'm not sure where the game is actually loading them from. I looked at the ROM with a hex editor and found values that match up with the first team, but not the others. I'm surprised there isn't more info, but what we know can be used to our advantage in the future. Point is, the Flareon is coincidental, but fanon can be made out of anything coincidental, so by all means go crazy I guess? :unsmigghh:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Ephraim225 posted:

the Flareon is coincidental

You would explain away the schemes of the False Prophet as mere glitches and innocent coincidences? How proud you have become, and how blind.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ephraim225 posted:

PROFESSOR OAK HIMSELF. (Not my video)

Yes, apparently they wanted you to battle him at some point, and he has three teams, one for each starter, suggesting that last starter was going to go somewhere after all. What a great idea. Of all the things to take out...sigh.

Oh hey that Marowak's nickname seems famili- waaaaaaaaitaminute...

The Old Man Glitch is cool as gently caress and I sure as hell found out about it when I was younger. Whether someone told me or I found out with my own crazy experimenting, I don't remember, but it meant I multiplied absolutely everything I could think of. I got a Chansey to level 100 just to see how high its HP would go. And using my actual name in-game meant I encountered Mewtwo, Raichu and Electrode all at stupidly high levels, it was great. Shame I couldn't show it off for my LP, but I didn't really want to play though Red or Blue to get to that point, oh well.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

The Old Man Glitch is cool as gently caress and I sure as hell found out about it when I was younger. Whether someone told me or I found out with my own crazy experimenting, I don't remember, but it meant I multiplied absolutely everything I could think of. I got a Chansey to level 100 just to see how high its HP would go. And using my actual name in-game meant I encountered Mewtwo, Raichu and Electrode all at stupidly high levels, it was great. Shame I couldn't show it off for my LP, but I didn't really want to play though Red or Blue to get to that point, oh well.

Wait Raichu? That doesn't seem possible according to this, what kinda letters were in your name?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Admittedly it's been quite a while, so my memories might be a bit off and I don't remember all that I encountered :v:

Mewtwo I'm pretty sure about, however. I had S for my third letter and the fifth character onwards was blank. So looking at that list you linked, I definitely got pure Missingno, but I also got stuff like Golbat and Golduck.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Don't mind me, just seeing how Pokémon Stadium 2 reacts to unused items. Seems to think the surfboard is a consumable! Which should mean you can transfer it to other saves, which would be interesting.

Now then, the subject of today's update is the single most broken Pokémon in Generations 1 and 2. Can you guess who it is?

It's actually quite interesting. I used to think Ditto was a pointless inclusion in the game, since it has one single gimmick move that nobody would use, and its only real purpose is breeding.

Then I remember you can use it for the Mew Glitch, and I laughed a little. Oh, but there's more to this Pokémon than just copying your Special stat. This is gonna get good.

This is by far the most broken trick ever. Transform into any enemy, and then--

DAMMIT PIDGEOTTOOOOO

AHEM. As I was saying. First Transform into something with two or more moves.

Then use the select button to swap any move with the first. Exit the battle.

What happened? I have no moves? Actually, what's happened is that "Move Zero" is at the top of Ditto's list here. Transform is now the second move, but it can't be selected since anything below Move Zero can't be chosen.

Move Zero has an interesting type! Most people refer to this move as "Cooltrainer" after the type. It has no PP when you first get it, but don't worry, the move is nothing special. It usually has Fissure's animation, but it freezes the game if it doesn't kill something. That's because its additional effect is to run code from the HP value of the fourth enemy Pokémon. No really, I'm not kidding.

However, it can have...other effects...at random.

Oh...oh dear what have I done

Somehow the enemy gained thousands of HP and it's all getting burned away in one turn.

I think it took a full five minutes of real time. (I was fast-forwarding)

And then the game freezes.

Now, when talking about the Cooltrainer move, it becomes necessary to discuss the "Super Glitch". Super Glitch is a term for any glitch move or item with an excessively long name, which happens because the game is pulling data from the RAM and using it as the name. Since the names of these are so long, when the game loads them, the name often spills into other parts of the RAM and scrambles it.

The Cooltrainer move has a similar effect, but with Super Glitch moves the game not only loads the name but it also prints it on the screen. The Cooltrainer move always shows up as "--" so the game doesn't print the name, making it MUCH safer to use: The Super Glitch can actually scramble parts of your save, and if your name gets scrambled, DON'T SAVE or the game will think, "Well you don't have a name so clearly there was no save. New game?"

Now, most people out there thought that the Cooltrainer effect was funny, but impratical. HA! What a grand and intoxicating innocence. You should know by now that ANYTHING can be turned to your advantage in this game.

So where does Cooltrainer's internal name come from? Whenever you open the Item menu, the game copies the screen tiles into memory, just so it knows what to print back to the screen when you're done. Cooltrainer's name comes from that screen data.

The tiles in this game have ID numbers. To do this trick, find an area with a tile of ID 0x50 (for this tileset that's the lower-left part of the tree) appearing in the yellow area, but NOT in the red area. Go to an area like that, open the items menu, then close it. DON'T open it again until after the trick is done.

This next part needs a bit of luck. Open the moves list and hit up or down a lot, or repeatedly open and close the moves list.

Eventually, BOOM, the screen distorts. Now toss your Master Ball, and...!

BINGO! The species of what you get is determined by the cyan tile in that diagram earlier. The green tile determines level and the magenta tile determines IVs, if you care.

...However, when I did this the game froze after exiting the battle. For some reason, certain locations do that after the encounter. Being in a cave area lets you avoid that effect (somehow) so people doing this will want to set up outside Vermillion City, where Diglett's Cave is. As you can tell, this trick is very unruly, as it's random whether or not the screen distorts like that to begin with.

If you get used to it, though, it's easy to catch certain Pokémon early, as well as some rare ones like Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. You are, however, somewhat bound by the laws of physics since the trick is based on physical location.

Ah, but I know a SPECIAL place we can go, one that ISN'T bound by the laws of physics.

To the Safari Zone! Oh, by the way, if you use the Itemfinder in that exact spot, it detects an item, but where? It seems they made a mistake and placed a hidden Nugget offscreen where you can't physically pick it up! Strange.

We enter the Safari Zone...and immedietely leave!

Actually, no, we don't. I say "no" and go back in.

I save, reset, and reload. THEN I leave.

Why, it seems they forgot I paid to get in and want me to pay again! I refuse.

I decide to go ride my...nonexistant, ghost-bike.

Oh gosh darn it I was four steps away from HM03 and I got ding-donged. Well I--

Wait, I'm not IN the Safari Zone, how did I get ding-donged?!

This is another famous glitch: Attempting to leave, saving, reloading, and then leaving again like I did causes the step counter to still be running even after leaving the Safari Zone, and when it counts down to zero, you get teleported back to--

OH MY GOD WHAT!

Welcome to Glitch City! The supposed "homeland" of Missingno. even though he can't really appear here. Actually, I wonder if Giratina and his homeland was inspired by Missingno.?

The reason I get sent here is because, after being called back to that building, the game wanted to send me to an exit that doesn't exist on the map I was on. Glitch City will look different depending on where you got ding-donged. Most towns except Palette Town just send you to a certain building and leave it at that. At first glance, this doesn't look too practical, but again, you can turn ANYTHING to your advantage.

Remember the Cooltrainer glitch? Glitch City tiles can have any value, so it's only a matter of finding the right glitch area and doing the trick from there. You can even get otherwise unobtainable Glitch Pokémon. But there's MORE: You can escape the Cable Club by doing this trick too! And that's great for Yellow players, too, since they can't black out due to poison - the game safeguards against that.

Oh, but there's MORE. Glitch City can give you the magical ability to walk through walls! How? Well, it's tricky, but you have to make it so the final step before you get ding-donged is a jump off a ledge. If that happens, you're sent back to the Safari Zone gate, able to walk through walls. The effect ends when you exit the building -- unless you black out, then the effect stays with you in the overworld until you enter a door!

As a totally cosmetic side effect, being in Rock Tunnel when you get ding-donged will cause the Safari Zone to be dark. Cute, but not useful.

There's not much else to Glitch City, unfortunately. Other than, of course, that you must have Fly or Teleport to escape, unless you're lucky and the glitch map connects to one of the real maps. DON'T save while you're here, for safety purposes.

Getting back to the Cooltrainer glitch, if I use this area for it, I could get Hitmonchan, but I think we can do even better. Let's distort the screen TWICE.

Well, I wanted to, but I couldn't get the thing to work, so I'll just explain it instead: If you distort the screen once, then switch to another Pokémon, its nickname gets printed onto the screen, see? Now, keep in mind the Cooltrainer move works based on the screen data. Were I to open my items and distort the screen AGAIN, the wild Pokémon would turn into something based on the second letter of the nickname printed. It's the same as the Old Man glitch, only you can get Glitch Pokémon legitimately this way, and there was one I wanted to show, but sadly it'll have to wait.

Here's something less interesting but fun nonetheless.

You see this Gyarados? It is not an ordinary Gyarados.

It's the Red Gyarados from Crystal! I traded it to my Blue save. Whether a Pokémon has a "shine" like this is determined by its IVs, and the Red Gyarados is fixed to always be shiny. That way, even if traded to Gen 1, it'll keep its shine.

There's something funny you can do with shiny Pokémon. When Ditto Transforms, it copies everything about the enemy: moves, stats, IVs. But it'll revert back after the fight is done, right?...Unless, it Transforms TWICE, in which case it'll keep the IVs of what it Transformed into.

"But how could you possibly have Ditto Transform twice? It loses the move the first time it Transforms!" Well, think about it for a moment before you read on, it's a fun little puzzle. How can I get an enemy Ditto to Transform twice?

Here's your answer!

What? No, you don't want to waste it on good Pokémon, Mimic is a terrible move. Why would I spend one turn copying an enemy's move, unless it was permanent?

Well, in Generation 2 if Ditto Transforms into a Smeargle and Sketches a move, he keeps it PERMANENTLY. Not that Ditto being able to use any move is at all helpful.

I'll probably never need the TM again but I duplicate it anyways. It was always annoying that most TMs only have one copy of them per save, requiring a restart if you want more. Well, not anymore!

Anything except Ditto can learn this, I think. Some people think Ditto is a failed clone of Mew, due to them sharing the same colors - regular and shiny - and they are both the sole users of Transform. Kind of silly, but given how glitchy Ditto is, I think that theory might hold some water.

Next we send out our shiny against any Ditto, and Mimic Transform. This was hard because I still don't have any badges and the Gyarados is traded.

Er, that's normal, I think.

Ditto Transforms once, copying Gyarados's moveset, including the copied Transform.

And then Transforms again.

The end result of this? Well let's head over to Stadium 2 and take a look!

BOOM! Instant shiny Ditto. I mean, Ditto's still not that cool or anything, but on the bright side, it will have the shiny colors of whatever it Transforms into! Interestingly enough, Mew can never be shiny, because all event Mews have fixed IVs, so the only way to see its shiny colors without hacking is to get a shiny Ditto and Transform. Unless you get a lucky IV roll with the Mew Glitch. 1-in-8192 chance, people. Good luck.

"But Ephraim, doesn't Mew have Transform too?"

Well, yes, but he learns it at Level 10, so you can't really use the Mew Glitch to--

...wait. Wait a minute.

The glitch allows an enemy who Transforms twice to copy over the IVs of its target. There are only two Pokémon who can do this, Mew and Ditto.

Mew can be encountered by facing an enemy with 21 Special, which is easy, but Mew learns Transform at Level 10. I would have to raise the enemy's attack modifier.

What move can raise the attack modifier?
* Growl
* Charm
* Swords Dance

Swords Dance can raise the attack modifier! But it raises the user's attack, not the enemy. Do any Pokémon ahve both 21 special and Swords Dance?

Which Pokémon learns Swords Dance at a low enough level?
* Farfetch'd
* Pinsir
* Scyther
* There aren't any

Nobody can learn the move at a low enough level. There is a TM for Swords Dance, but no enemies ever have TM moves in Generation 1. There's got to be a way...think!

How can any enemy learn both Swords Dance and have 21 special
* Mew Glitch encounter
* Memory hacking
* Get your own and have a Ditto Transform

GET YOUR OWN AND HAVE DITTO COPY THE MOVE AND SPECIAL

Shiny Mew, here I come!

See, I knew I'd come here eventually!

Relevant items. TM03 is indeed Swords Dance.

Oh, sure, I can't Teleport out of the building with literal Teleporters. Was I supposed to have Dig instead?

...Actually, apparently Dig CAN get you out of any building in the game. Since they're indoors. Indoors obviously means dungeon, right?

Excellent. Could probably do without Sand Attack but this fits our needs!

By the way, if you want an easy setup for the Ditto version of the Mew Glitch, this is a really good trainer to use. This route is right next to the one with the wild Ditto, and there are multiple trainers that can see very far.

It's working! Somebody call The Führer!

(Turn captions on!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDo1XtcdzeU

What the heck do I do with all these Ditto, though?

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 6, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That video is a pro-click.

Anyway, what happens if you try to transfer the Surf Board form Stadium 2 to Gold/Silver?

And is it possible to get access to another glitch move by swapping Ditto's first move with its third?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Anyway, what happens if you try to transfer the Surf Board form Stadium 2 to Gold/Silver?

And is it possible to get access to another glitch move by swapping Ditto's first move with its third?

You can't send it to Gen 2. Stadium 2 doesn't let items from one Generation go to another.

You can't get other glitch moves by swapping with the third or fourth move.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I love that you found a way to use a level 255 Weezing in battle without resetting its level to 100.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 1, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

:godwin:

Also, is this where we comment that you basically just proved that Mew and Ditto are identical? :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I reckon the Mew/Ditto theory holds a lot of water. Mew's the ancestor of all pokemon, Ditto breeds with anything and its unstable genetics can copy any pokemon. Same colours, both use Transform. Ditto in RBY is found only in the lab where Mewtwo was created, and in the cave where it's hiding out.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Dabir posted:

I reckon the Mew/Ditto theory holds a lot of water. Mew's the ancestor of all pokemon, Ditto breeds with anything and its unstable genetics can copy any pokemon. Same colours, both use Transform. Ditto in RBY is found only in the lab where Mewtwo was created, and in the cave where it's hiding out.

That's only in Yellow. In Red/Blue it's in Routes 13, 14, 15 and 23, as well as the Unknown Dungeon.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Huh, I swear I never saw it anywhere but the mansion and the dungeon. I played FRLG though, should have figured they'd have changed it up, but it's still in 13, 14 and 15 in those.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Mimic is actually used occasionally in RBY OU, mostly Jynx as it doesn't really have a 4th move to use that's worth a poo poo on its own, but it can steal Thunderbolt or Recover or something.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Ok, hold on, I think it might still be possible to salvage this. When you transform twice, that allows you to retain shinyness, right? And if you transform again after that, it won't remove that, will it?

What if you repeat the same steps, but after the mew transforms into ditto a second time, you throw your own mew out, have the enemy transform into that, and then throw the master ball?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That won't fix it. The game assumes that any wild pokemon that uses Transform is actually a Ditto.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Captain Bravo posted:

Ok, hold on, I think it might still be possible to salvage this. When you transform twice, that allows you to retain shinyness, right? And if you transform again after that, it won't remove that, will it?

What if you repeat the same steps, but after the mew transforms into ditto a second time, you throw your own mew out, have the enemy transform into that, and then throw the master ball?

Nah if I had to guess they saved space by rather than storing what the wild pokemon was before it transfarmed they just put a check on capture that if it was transformed turn it back into a ditto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I knew it was coming but I still laughed like a maniac when you caught the "Ditto".

• Locked thread