Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Ephraim225 posted:

Apparently you only get eight boxes in this version, not twelve. That's 160 stored Pokémon, interestingly enough - JUST enough to store all 151 Pokémon.

If I recall correctly, while you only have 8 boxes, each box holds 30 Pokémon instead of 20, which should add up to the same total as the international versions. I guess this was changed to accommodate holding the internationally longer Nicknames in RAM, but I've never actually checked for the exact reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

...Every time I learn something new about the first Pokemon game's wonky programming I find myself wondering how they even functioned as well as they did. :psyduck: It's beautiful.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
I think I see another reason they went to Blue instead of tweaking Green for an international release. :stare: That green is eyewatering.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015

SilverGryphon posted:

I think I see another reason they went to Blue instead of tweaking Green for an international release. :stare: That green is eyewatering.

To be fair, it was grey at the time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

EllipsisBreak posted:

To be fair, it was grey at the time.

Son, your eyes be broken. All original gameboys were green

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

HenryEx posted:

Son, your eyes be broken. All original gameboys were green

There were those horrible Game Boy Pockets that were black-and-white, they came out around the time Pokemon dropped. :eng101:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Original white brick or you might as well go home.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
Speaking as someone who still owns the first generation Game Boy, use literally anything else. Seriously.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

EllipsisBreak posted:

Speaking as someone who still owns the first generation Game Boy, use literally anything else. Seriously.

But my LSDJ cred :saddowns:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Like Clockwork posted:

...Every time I learn something new about the first Pokemon game's wonky programming I find myself wondering how they even functioned as well as they did. :psyduck: It's beautiful.

Well, it takes at least a moderate amount of arcane bullshit in order to actually break the games. None of this stuff is supposed to occur during normal gameplay, it all only happens as long as you follow a farily precise set of steps, which should almost never happen. It might have a thin veneer of stability, but if you never actually poke into what's past it, it'll hold up just fine.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rorac posted:

Well, it takes at least a moderate amount of arcane bullshit in order to actually break the games. None of this stuff is supposed to occur during normal gameplay, it all only happens as long as you follow a farily precise set of steps, which should almost never happen. It might have a thin veneer of stability, but if you never actually poke into what's past it, it'll hold up just fine.

The Safari Zone and Old Man glitches, at least, are common enough sets of actions that someone could stumble onto them by accident.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

EllipsisBreak posted:

I owned one of those black and white gameboys when I got Pokemon Blue. I loaned my copy of the game to my cousins which turned out to be a huge mistake. I remember looking at their disgusting green screen white brick gameboy as I discovered not only did they get as far as Articuno ahead of me, but they had fainted him. :argh:

I learned a valuable lesson that day.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I owned one of those black and white gameboys when I got Pokemon Blue. I loaned my copy of the game to my cousins which turned out to be a huge mistake. I remember looking at their disgusting green screen white brick gameboy as I discovered not only did they get as far as Articuno ahead of me, but they had fainted him. :argh:

I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Green screens 4 lyfe. :colbert:

That said, I recall a similar experience, letting a classmate play my copy of Pokemon Blue because he wanted to try it out, new game and all, but not to save the game. Naturally, he did, in fact, save the game, forcing me to start over. In my defense, I was only nine years old. Not long after, I learned about the Missingno glitch. Had all 150 Pokemon at level 100 within a week of that.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I have a vaguely similar experience, except the other kid was in no way at fault.

I was the first kid in my school to get all 150 Pokemon, and this was a school in the midst of a full blown Poke-craze. Basically every kid had a copy of Pokemon, and anyone with a link cable was basically guaranteed to make friends.

Anyway, an acquaintance of mine, the friend of a friend really, wanted to see my Pokemon save and bask in the glory of a complete Pokedex. Eager to show off, I happily lent it to him for a few minutes while I went off to do something else.

Naturally, it was at that moment that my cartridge battery decided to die.

You can imagine how happy I was when I returned to find the other kid had somehow wiped my 200+ hour save, even though the poor guy was completely innocent. I still feel guilty over the whole thing, even though I was just a dumbass preteen at the time.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

You know, I never liked Pokémon Yellow. It felt like an uneeded cash-in on the previous games, Pikachu didn't add much to the game for me, and in keeping with the TV Show's theme of making Pokémon less fun for everybody, the difficulty is lower as a result of Gym Leaders having less Pokémon in their teams. They even patched out some glitches, notably the Old Man glitch, Brock Skip, and the Cable Club Escape is harder. The glitches they didn't fix can't really do anything we haven't seen in this version.

OR SO I THOUGHT. Most of what you can do in Yellow Version can indeed be done in the other versions, but Yellow actually makes some glitches harder and others easier, so let's get into this!

First, however, some of the tricks require a fresh save. A COMPLETELY fresh save. If you're playing along, use Up+Select+B to clear your save, it'll be necessary for something later on.

The opening isn't too noteworthy, though if you wanted to do the glitch with the girl NPC, she has to be one space higher than she needs to be in Red/Blue for the pathing to break.

Pikachu doesn't seem to take too kindly to his new trainer. Believe me, the feeling is mutual, buddy.

We can fix it though. Yellow Version introduces a prototype of the Happiness system in later games, but it's completely busted. All you have to do to get Pikachu to like you is to use a Potion on him dozens of times. This raises its happiness even though it has no effect!

You can max out his happiness at the beginning of the game...not that it matters.

Uh. Oak. How is Pikachu your "old" Pokémon if you caught it five minutes ago?

Moving onto Viridian Forest, this trainer here was not there in Red/Blue. For reasons I cannot fathom this trainer was added here and given maximum vision range.

I'd ask how they could possibly not know this would happen, but then again, they didn't catch onto the Mew glitch by the time the game came out.

Oh, by the way, the constant shifting of colors isn't my doing, it's a feature of Yellow Version that every town now has its own color, and every Pokémon now has its own color. These are the same colors you get when playing Red/Blue on a Super Game Boy or Pokémon Stadium.

Well, at least this fight is much easier. Pikachu's a bit of a glass cannon, but at least Eevee can't resist all of his moves.

And what's this? They bothered to fix the text overwriting itself but left out the "y" in "try"!

Wow that sounds like it could be a proverb.

So obviously I'm doing all this as part of the Mew Glitch. My most recent encounter was this Rattata that I caught, so I should be getting...

Wait Level SEVEN? I was sure I had Growled six times!...does capturing reset what the level will be? Strange...

I went back and tried it again and got this. I'm cool with it, I need a Venusaur anyways.

Eeeesh. Yellow Version has much improved spritework, but they were not kind to Venusaur.

So, everyone knows Pikachu can react to certain NPCs in this game, like Jigglypuff and Bill.

Talking to Jigglypuff makes Pikachu fall asleep and we can walk around freely withouth him.

So stand on this column and walk up and down for a few minutes...

Oh dear.

OH MY GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING!

Say something, Pikachu!

Okay there's no WAY I have been playing that long!

Oh dear. We're stuck now.

So yeah, Pikachu not being on the screen can cause...problems. Very strange. Maybe it'll be helpful in the future.

In the meantime, we beat down Brock, whose only change is his vest, which doesn't help him at all.

Here's something I haven't brought up. If you pay attention, you'll notice that when recieving the Boulder Badge or the Earth Badge, you get the "Level Up" jingle. You don't get that for any other badge, in fact for some of them you get a glitched drum sound. This happens because they used the wrong sound bank. Pretty odd that Yellow didn't fix it at all.

And because Brock Skip doesn't work, here's the shorts kid everyone likes for some reason.

Even though he Wrap-spammed you all to unconciousness back in the day.

Next we're going to duplicate our items the usual way. Except the earliest you can encounter Missingno. in Yellow is technically Misty, since her Starmie has the right Special, and the Trade NPC isn't there anymore, I think.

So I heal at the Route 4 Pokémon Center and escape from this Bug Catcher.

Mt. Moon has a trainer right inside the first room for re-enabling the Start button.

Important!

We then fight Misty, who...talks like that for some reason? This isn't even accurate to her personality in the TV Show.

Important: Have at least one Pokémon faint. Then finish her.

Deposit everything except the fainted Pokémon to black out back to Route 4. You have to do this because you can't pass the ledge otherwise.

Make sure NOT to encounter anything else on your way back. Also, you can withdraw your Pokémon now.

Oh don't you make that face at me, you had it coming!

So, here we are! We should be getting Missingno. now.

Uh...the fadeout is much longer than normal.

It screeches for blood and it freezes.

Missingno. and other glitch Pokémon tend to differ between versions. In Yellow - at least, English Yellow - Missingno. is known to freeze the game often, making item duplication far less practical unless (as usual) you encounter the Ghost or Skeleton forms. The Special needed for that is 182, 183, or 184, however, and you have to wait far longer to encounter Ditto.

The actual reason "Yellow Missingno." freezes the game is because uncompressing his sprite corrupts a thankfully unused chunk of the save file. What it gets corrupted with depends on what was already there, so to encounter Yellow Missingno. without a freeze you just have to keep trying until it works. There are Gameshark codes and methods involving external programs and our old pal, Arbitrary Code Execution, to make Missingno. safe on your save.

If you cleared the save file like I did, your first encounter should go smoothly without a hitch. At least, that's what I thought, but he still froze it on the first attempt for me. So, in the interest of saving time, I edited the RAM so the game would not freeze.

There we go. Not a lot to say about Missingno. other than what you saw in Red/Blue.

Well, his moves are a little different. Pay Day and Bind on top of Water Gun.

And apparently a stupidly low catch rate?

It's gonna turn into Rhydon (which is actually very helpful) so I should point out that Missingno. has a very glitched EXP curve in Yellow Version. Any amount of EXP gained sends him down to Level 1 and no amount of EXP will get him to Level 2. Rare Candies work, but you'll still drop to Level 1 if you gain EXP with him.

Also, Yellow Missingno. causes THAT to happen if you "survive" the encounter.

You are WAY too happy about this. Warping out of the area somehow fixes this effect.

We head back to Cerulean City and...

WHAT. Uh...someone important seems to be missing.

Now, when I saw that, I was befuddled. I've gotten NPCs to disappear after a Mew Glitch, but not THAT one! After seeing that happen I asked the Pokémon glitch community about it, and they dug a little deeper. What did they find?

Short version: The Mew Glitch can make any NPC that can disappear, disappear permanently.

Long version: Entering an area makes the game load a list of NPCs that disappear from the map. These NPCs have a text box associated with them, so that if say you talk to Mewtwo and battle him, the game can then say, "Okay that wild battle wasn't generated at random, and the most recent text box is box 4 so according to the list NPC 21 disappears".

When a Mew Glitch encounter occurs, the game recalls the most recent text box (for the MAP, that is. If the game tries to recall a text box that doesn't exist for that map then problems can occur, which is why we press start before finishing the glitch) then the battle starts. The Start menu also counts as a text box and it's NEVER on that list. The game always assumes an NPC disappears when it runs that function so it has to delete something on the list, but if there's no matching text box, what does it do?

Whenever the game loads the list of disappearing NPCs for a map, it just overrides what it had in memory and doesn't erase anything past the "End of list" marker. So if it has to delete an NPC, and no NPC's text box matches, it just deletes the NPC appearing immedietely after the end-of-list marker.

So, to sum all this up, if you enter a map with five NPCs that disappear, then have the Mew Glitch occur in a map with only three, NPC #4 on that list gets deleted. In this case, the Cerulean Cave guard. Cerulean City has five disappearing NPCs, and Viridian Forest has three, which are all item pickups. Is your head hurting yet? You can use this to fight Sabrina early, enter Cerulean Cave early, skip Snorlax as I did in Red/Blue, and skip meeting Bill (I think.)

And to think nobody had really looked into all this until I brought it up. I feel special!

Okay, back to the game. Did you know that Pikachu has a special animation when he learns Thunderbolt or Thunder? Did you also know that the animation briefly lights up Rock Tunnel? Ha! Who needs Flash, anyways?

My last trick for this update will be an early Ditto encounter, because you probably don't want to wait until Cinnabar Island. (Though they also appear in Cerulean Cave in Yellow, and that just opened up, heh.) So we're gonna use not just one Mew Glitch...

But TWO of them at once. I set up the first, change PC boxes to save, reset, then set up the other one.

Sadly only two trainers have the Special needed to generate Ditto. Both are in Silph Co. and the relevant Pokémon is the third and final in their teams, so you'll need to lose to them after knocking out the first two.

There's our Ditto from the first encounter! After it Transforms you can go to the second encounter to get whatever you wanted.

And that will be all for this update! There's more to come for Yellow Version, but I have to run some errands on my way to Cinnabar Island so that's going to take some time. Next time: The number 255 and why this game doesn't like it!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Dang. You discovered a new glitch in Pokemon Yellow after nearly 18 years? :golfclap:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

While I agree with your assessment of Yellow, Pikachu wasn't exactly required. You could just dump him off whenever. And Yellow let you get all three starter pokemon without a second gameboy or a very generous friend. Also, as shown here, Pikachu has a surprisingly wide variety of expressions.

Interesting that Yellow Missingno. is essentially locked at level 1. Why is that exactly?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Interesting that Yellow Missingno. is essentially locked at level 1. Why is that exactly?

I don't know the EXACT reason but here's my theory.

EXP Underflow occurs because when you catch a level 1 Pokémon, the game thinks, "EXP needed to be level 2 is zero so you should have negative experience" hence it underflows.

With Missingno., my theory is he has a glitched EXP curve that makes Level 2 onwards require negative EXP, which in turn underflows so the game thinks Level 2 needs a ridiculous amount of EXP. Every time you gain EXP in battle, the game calculates what level you should now be at, hence the possible level drop if you're above 100. Rare Candies ignore this recalculation.

Now, how could any formula have that happen? Haven't a clue.

Interestingly I happen to have Ghost Missingno. caught on my Yellow cartridge. He's locked at Level 6 due to this instead of 1, which is even weirder to me.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Ephraim225 posted:

I don't know the EXACT reason but here's my theory.

EXP Underflow occurs because when you catch a level 1 Pokémon, the game thinks, "EXP needed to be level 2 is zero so you should have negative experience" hence it underflows.

With Missingno., my theory is he has a glitched EXP curve that makes Level 2 onwards require negative EXP, which in turn underflows so the game thinks Level 2 needs a ridiculous amount of EXP. Every time you gain EXP in battle, the game calculates what level you should now be at, hence the possible level drop if you're above 100. Rare Candies ignore this recalculation.

Now, how could any formula have that happen? Haven't a clue.

Interestingly I happen to have Ghost Missingno. caught on my Yellow cartridge. He's locked at Level 6 due to this instead of 1, which is even weirder to me.

If you trade over an R/B Missingno. to Yellow does it get sent back to level 1 after some EXP too or does it work differently? Does the Yellow cartridge even allow such trades?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Stabbatical posted:

If you trade over an R/B Missingno. to Yellow does it get sent back to level 1 after some EXP too or does it work differently? Does the Yellow cartridge even allow such trades?

Not all R/B glitch pokemon are 1:1 conversions to Yellow glitch pokemon. Some soft-lock the game, some hard-lock the game, some are completely different altogether.

In other words, that Missingno might not be a Missingno.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Not all R/B glitch pokemon are 1:1 conversions to Yellow glitch pokemon. Some soft-lock the game, some hard-lock the game, some are completely different altogether.

In other words, that Missingno might not be a Missingno.

Actually, all Missingno. are still Missingno. when traded from Yellow to Red/Blue and back. It should be okay to trade regardless of whatever level they're at, though in Red/Blue he should be able to level up without Rare Candies just fine.

Other glitch Pokémon change completely if traded, since their data is different between games. Sometimes the easiest way to get a glitch Pokémon in one game is to trade it over from the other. Next update I'll be going over some of the really...interesting glitch Pokémon in Yellow Version.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I can't find the actual explanation again, but if I recall correctly the EXP weirdness of unused Pokemon slots happens because there is a byte in the Pokemon data that represents an index in an array for coefficients used in the EXP formula. That is, there is a global EXP formula hardcoded in the form of [ X * nł + Y * n˛ + Z * n + W ] where n is the level and XYZW are looked up somewhere else, and that index tells the game where to look for the XYZW. Naturally, only a few of these indices are valid, so all other ones cause the game to interpret adjacent ROM memory as coefficients, which ends up resulting in strange and unexpected results of the formula.

I'm guessing our stuck-at-1 Pokemon here somehow ended up with all of XYZ being 0, which gives it a constant experience requirement for all levels.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
This thread is fantastic and I found it just in time as I planned to do the trainer fly glitch to catch all the blue exclusives on my 3DS VC Red game. I'd been putting it off since it seemed like it would be really tedious finding pokemon with the proper special stats, but instead I got to do the 8F trick.

One thing I'm wondering about it, if you happen to know, is what determines the pokemon you fight's level. I caught a few at level 0, then decided to level up my parasect to get spore, wound up catching one in cerulean cave that was level 52 instead and used that one. Then I caught some 8F pokemon also at level 52. But my original parasect was certainly not level 0 (and now with my level 52 i'm getting level 0's again)

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 18, 2016

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Dr. Dos posted:

One thing I'm wondering about it, if you happen to know, is what determines the pokemon you fight's level. I caught a few at level 0, then decided to level up my parasect to get spore, wound up catching one in cerulean cave that was level 52 instead and used that one. Then I caught some 8F pokemon also at level 52. But my original parasect was certainly not level 0 (and now with my level 52 i'm getting level 0's again)

Could be that the code simply takes the level of your most recent encounter and uses that? I'm not too sure, I didn't really delve into it.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Look what I found...a typo! Unless there's a Pokémon based on money.

This is why I love Generation 1. Always something new to find. For example...

Even though Snorlax has disappeared, playing the PokéFlute shows the game still thinks he's there! Skipping Snorlax technically doesn't sacrifice anything after all!

Here's a minor slip-up I found in Silph Co. You know how NPCs start facing south and it takes a second for the game to correct it when they appear?

You can use that second to slip past the trainer's vision here. This area behind the door is totally optional, but it's a cool stealth-ish element. (But he should still see Pikachu right?)

So does anyone have an explanation for the Rival appearing here and NOT doing a thing about Team Rocket?

Now, I was going to show a trick to get an early Master Ball, but oops, the trainer I need was removed to make room for Jessie and James who are not even named for some reason. So here's what you do if you are playing Red/Blue: The Rocket that should be here can be used to do a Mew Glitch, so escape from him with an Escape Rope. However, instead of fighting a trainer elsewhere, immedietely come back up here.

See, for some bizzarre reason, there's a functional PC in the room here, and you can still open the door with the Card Key even though NPC interactions are disabled. So you can change boxes there and reset to get buttons back, then you can talk to the Silph Co. President and get the Master Ball! Giovanni won't fight you since the script tile and trainers are disabled until you beat another trainer elsewhere!

Anyhow, this time around we're gonna check out some of the glitch Pokémon. The only real way to do that is with the Mew Glitch and a Ditto. So after setting up on the trainer, Fly to Fuschia City and shove the Strength boulder.

Annoyingly, the only two locations in Yellow Version with Ditto are the Cinnabar Mansion basement, and Cerulean Cave. Unless you do that double-Mew Glitch from the previous update.

So after getting the Ditto I head back and...

ACK! A GHOST!

What? Tail Whip? What?

Just kidding, it's only Marowak! Funny story: Anytime you encounter Marowak in a non-random encounter, the game thinks you're supposed to encounter a "Ghost" regardless of where you are. The regular "Ghost Battle" stuff, however, is only really carried out in the Pokémon Tower.

So if you were thinking you could re-enact a creepypasta or something...sorry! Oh but Marowak can be captured here, unlike in the Pokémon Tower.

Now, onto the glitch Pokémon. In Red/Blue, there are honestly not that many that are interesting enough for me to go out of my way to get them - other than the item mutator. In Yellow, it's VERY different. The glitch Pokémon changed in Yellow, and they're just CRAZY in this version. If you obtain any and trade them to Red/Blue, they just change into whatever their Red/Blue equivalents are. They'll change back to their Yellow equivalents if traded back, which is good if the glitch you want freezes the game upon encountering it. Like this one:

ID 191 "4 4"

Oh dear lord what is this. Encountering him copies the entire ROM into game RAM (which of course freezes the game) so to get him into your party, obtain and trade over the MUCH safer "A block" from Red/Blue. Sadly there's little of interest about him, though he does start with two Blizzards.

And he has one of the most nightmare-inducing screeches ever.

ID 192 "44Hy"

Oho, you're gonna LOVE this guy. We'll come back to what makes him particularly special in a moment, but do take note of the Dex number. It's the same as Slowbro's, which means 44Hy shares some qualities with Slowbro, including type. It may even use Slowbro's sprite but not always. The best part is, since his Dex number is between 1 and 151, he won't turn into a Rhydon when caught, ever.

ID 193 "Female symbol"

Unfortunately, encountering this froze the game for me, so I can't say much about it. Instead, watch this video. At your own risk, of course.

ID 194 "pPKMNp"

Aha, now THIS guy is interesting! Remember how "94" mutated your items in Red/Blue? pPKMNp is Yellow's item mutator: he sets the third bit of the ID of the fifth item. That's +32 to the item identifier as long as its first hex digit was not 2, 3, 6, 7, A, B, E, or F. (I think. Might be wrong.)

Sadly the only item you can get that's really worth it is this. X Speed becomes WSM - which is Yellow Version's ACE item. The setups are a little different, so we'll get to that in time.

ID 195 "Z4"

Not much to say here. Its Dex number is 15.

ID 196 "X-x"

That purple tint actually makes this glitch Pokémon look kinda scary. He's notable for starting with Flash, which means catching him at a low enough level means it is impossible for him to get rid of Flash. You can't even trade him to Generation 2. No glitches allowed and all.

ID 197 "4. ."

This is one of two possible sprites for 4. .. Amusingly, if you capture it, you're shown Dragonair's Dex entry, even though 4. .'s Dex number is the same as Golduck's.

ID 198 "7g"

Dex entry is the same as Slowpoke. Sometimes it'll use Slowpoke's sprite.

ID 199 "u"

I see this one is using Charizard's sprite. This can happen on occasion since its Dex number is 006, but it doesn't always happen. His name is also so long you have to push the buttons a lot to advance the text. If you capture this guy, be sure to nickname him.

Anything past 199 turns into a trainer, so enough about that for now!

I alluded to 44Hy having an interesting property. Well, let's level him up and find out!

No, it's not the glitch move that's interesting. What's interesting is that this glitch Pokémon evolves. You want it to happen at Level 10 or higher though, because his new form learns a game-harming move at Level 9.

Behold the single most broken thing in Generation 1. "TM55" is just a name the game gives it for some reason. There actually is a TM55 item, and TMs 51 to 54 also exist. Don't get excited though, they're just consumable versions of HMs.

You'll notice this new beast is completely invisible in the menu. Let's check him out.

You remember Q, right? It's short for Q. What is Q? He's an omnipotent being masquerading as a Pokémon.

Whatever he wants to happen, happens.

For example, Q and everything below him in the list here are invisible. Not only that, the Pokémon Center and other functions never acknowledge "cloaked" Pokémon. (So if you black out with Q in the top spot, nothing gets healed and the game blacks you out again and again and again...) If Pikachu is in your party but below a Q, he won't follow you around on the map.

This is specifically because Q's ID is 255. This game does NOT like the number 255. Q also exists in Red/Blue, where he has Charizard's sprite, and he exists in even Generation 2. (Though getting him there is a lot harder.) In all versions, he has similar properties.

Starting with my all-time favorite glitch. I've arranged my party like so: Any Pokémon, then Q, then Pikachu, then a Gyarados I happen to have. I then deposit the Pidgey (you can also have this setup in a box and withdraw the Pidgey.)

Pikachu what have I done to you?!

Okay so what's going on here is, we now have a Q that the game thinks is Pikachu, and a Pikachu that the game thinks is Gyarados. In Generation 1, each Pokémon has two species bytes for some odd reason. I think it's because the game keeps a list of what's in the party independant of actual Pokémon data just so it has quick and easy access to the species.

Depositing the first Pokémon causes everything below it to shift up, but Q's ID is 255 so the game thinks it doesn't have to shift that up in the list. So, while the actual Pokémon data was shifted up, the species bytes in the list were not. This is a little hard to explain in text so here's a visual representation of what happened here:

So what does this mean? Well, byte 1 determines the Pokémon's sprite, evolutions, learnset, basically the "constants". Byte 2 and all other individual variables - IVs, EVs, Moves - was shifted up, but Byte 1 was not. That means our Q/Pikachu has Q's learnset, which includes...

BINGO. I just got Surf on Pikachu without Pokémon Stadium, so those without access to that game can play the Surfing minigame! Oh, sure, in the 3DS re-release you don't need Surf to play the minigame, but you DO need it for one other easter egg.

Wow. Okay. I thought it was weird that a giant rock rhinocerous and a pair of heavy, poisonous earth bunnies can all magically swim in the water with you on their backs, but HOW CAN YOU SWIM ON PIKACHU, ON A SURFBOARD?! Am I just...standing on the board with him?!

At least Pikachu seems happy to be a total amalgamate! At this point you might wonder how the walking Pikachu works after doing this. Well, if Byte 2 says it's a Pikachu, it will have Ikue Ootani's voice ONLY if the Trainer ID matches yours. The walking Pikachu appears if Byte 1 is Pikachu and the Trainer ID matches. If you trade Pikachu away and want another one, you don't need to reset - just Mew Glitch another one and he's back! (Though trading him drops his happiness to zero.)

Byte 2 also determines something else: The color pallette.

PIKABLU EXISTS!

And so does Venustoise! Sadly this affects only the backsprite, but hey. You can get Gold Magikarp. You can give Mew his actual pink color, and Mewtwo purple, instead of the stupid gold colors they get for no reason.

Now, you might be wondering how we can fix this, since these "hybrids" can't be traded at all if I remember right. Well, one way to do it is to evolve it.

"But Ephraim, Gyarados can't evolve, and Pikachu refuses the Thunderstone in Yellow!"

OR DOES HE?!

Yep, for some reason if the species bytes are mismatched and byte 1 is Pikachu, the Thunderstone works perfectly!...but if I do that...I'll lose Pikachu forever...

The other way to fix Pikachu is to deposit and withdraw from the daycare, which would fix the species bytes, but you can't do that if the Pokémon knows an HM move...

So...Pikachu's gone. I mean. Nobody liked him anyways, right...?

Always with that stupid smile...always being happy...and lighting up our lives when things seemed hopeless...

...I WANT PIKACHU BACK!

GIVE BACK PIKACHU! I did the Q trick again with the same Pokémon in opposite positions.

THANK GOODNESS! Pikachu, I can't tell you how happy I am to see you okay!

I really can't tell you, because I'VE NEVER BEEN HAPPY TO SEE YOU.

That just leaves Gyarados, who has no HM moves and so can be fixed with the daycare. Actually, sending him to Stadium 2 would have the same effect (Stadium 1 just locks up if you view him, so.)

As an added bonus, he keeps the moves he learned during his time as Pikachu, since he had access to that learnset at the time. Any Pokémon can get any move they please this way.

And you know what else? THERE'S MORE.

I couldn't actually get this next trick to work but I'll explain the setup anyways. You need a Pokémon with a catch rate of 255 and remaining HP equal to the ID of a Pokémon you want. Magikarp has a catch rate of 255, so that's a dime a dozen.

To get the HP I want I use another trick: Using a Rare Candy on a fainted Pokémon cures the faint status because leveling up increases remaining HP. That puts me at 1, and a Potion puts me at 21. I wonder who I'm going for, heheh.

Apparently for this to work, Box 1 must never be maxed out at any point on your save. I know it sounds weird but I'll trust the people discovering this.

Start with an empty Box 1, then deposit: The Magikarp, any three Pokémon, then Q.

Then capture something with a catch rate of 255 and have it get transferred to Box 1. The idea is that the new Pokémon gets inserted at the top of the list, not the bottom like when you deposit.

Then withdraw Q followed by the Pokémon you just captured, everything but the Magikarp, then the Magikarp.

SUPPOSEDLY it will be a hybrid with byte 2 becoming equal to its remaining HP, so I would've gotten a Magikarp/Mew, but this doesn't happen for me for some reason. I don't know why. There's videos of this so I guess I'm doing it wrong? Oh well, onto the next trick.

Side note: If a glitch Pokémon turns into a Rhydon and gets sent to the PC, you can withdraw it, deposit it in the daycare, and withdraw it to get your glitch Pokémon back. Apparently only byte 1 becomes Rhydon if it's sent to the PC.

Remember when I said moves and other individual stats get shifted? That includes IVs and experience points. That means you can shift the IVs of say a shiny Ditto over to another Pokémon, and have it be shiny, but you'd have to evolve the Pokémon to make it permanent. The daycare trick just makes it a Ditto again.

Experience points also get shifted, which leads to a mismatched EXP curve. If byte 2 is a Pokémon that levels up faster than byte 1, cool things happen.

My party order: Anything, Q, Wartortle, Jigglypuff. The Jigglypuff can be Clefairy or Chansey as well. Those three evolution lines level up the fastest. Whichever it is, it should be Level 100.

Sorry, Pikachump!

...Pikachu and Machamp fused is a scary thought.

Everything looks normal...well, normal for this trick.

Well, except for the color. Woah...that bears an uncanny resemblence to something I would draw.

Can you spot what's wrong with this picture? Compare it to the picture of his stats from earlier.

Here's what's wrong: He's Level 100 yet he's STILL GAINING EXP. You stop gaining EXP at Level 100 normally!

So, what could possibly happen? Let's beat up everybody in the Cinnabar Gym and find the answer.

Probably the same reason as me: to conduct all kinds of horrible experiments.

YEP! Mis-matched species bytes can also cause leveling problems. Our Pokémon here has Jigglypuff's EXP curve, but has Wartortle's EXP cap! (I assume. Seems logical to me.) This allows us to pass Level 100! And you don't need to grind past 100, either, since Rare Candies work from 101 onwards.

By the way, I don't think I've mentioned it, but did you know the Earth Badge doesn't make traded Pokémon above Level 100 obey you?

Wartortle evolves, curing him, and I can cure the other Wartortle with the daycare man. This unfortunately means I've lost the Level 100 Jigglypuff. But nobody liked her, either, so it works out for me.

Just remember that if you gain actual EXP with your over-leveled Pokémon, the game corrects their Level. You do get overflowing HP though!

All these tricks with Q work in Red/Blue also. Now then, what awaits us in Yellow? How about we go...exploring? Heheheh...

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 21, 2016

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Ephraim225 posted:

ID 191 "4 4"

Oh dear lord what is this. Encountering him copies the entire ROM into game RAM (which of course freezes the game) so to get him into your party, obtain and trade over the MUCH safer "A block" from Red/Blue. Sadly there's little of interest about him, though he does start with two Blizzards.

And he has one of the most nightmare-inducing screeches ever.

I think you just sent a Pikachu to hell.

You monster.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

BlazeEmblem posted:

I think you just sent a Pikachu to hell.

You monster.

Before or after fusing him with Gyarados? :D

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I wonder what the glitch pokemon of japanese blue and japanese yellow are

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Ephraim225 posted:

Before or after fusing him with Gyarados? :D

Before. Being fused to a giant flying rage monster might be an advantage in hell.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER
Pikachump?

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
Too bad you didn't get female symbol to work, but that one seems like it loves to crash the game. If you don't mind, I'd like to share this video of the glitch on Youtube as it has some very interesting results. Gotta say, it might be one of my favorite glitch Pokémon.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

InspectorSands posted:

Too bad you didn't get female symbol to work, but that one seems like it loves to crash the game. If you don't mind, I'd like to share this video of the glitch on Youtube as it has some very interesting results. Gotta say, it might be one of my favorite glitch Pokémon.

:stare:

Where are they going? What do they have planned for us?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Mewtwo was Sephiroth all along.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E&t=57s

Koushirou
Nov 4, 2009
Female symbol has to have one of the creepiest glitched cries ever. Just the way the music slowly fades out as if the game itself is dying. The payoff is awesome, though.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

InspectorSands posted:

Oh my lord. I've never seen that before.

I'm gonna link it in the update now.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I posted this in the main Pokemon thread, but I wonder if any of you code diving nerds could figure it out.

Crosspeice posted:

I'm doing research for my Crystal LP and I'm getting conflicting info on the chance of a Pokemon holding an item in a wild battle.

On this page, it has the chances listed as 2% and 23% for Pokemon that have a low chance and a medium chance of holding a item, but when you look on the actual Pokemon's page, it lists the chance as 8% and 25% instead. So when researching and double checking something, I go from Bulbapedia to Serebii and low and behold, his page lists the chance as being 5% and 50%.

So I dunno what the gently caress, save actually looking into the game's code. Wondering if anyone is able to shed some light?

Also think that some of the info is wrong of that first page anyway, since it lists Shellder as having a Big Pearl as the moderate chance item instead of the low chance item like every other page.

I've already crossed out the first link since it has a number of inaccuracies and I'm tempted to go with Serebii's since he lists Pokemon that can't be caught in the wild in Gen 2, so where did he get those numbers from? I'm hoping it's the code, cause goddamn this is weird to have so many different answers.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
^ Can't say I know, it's really strange that multiple sites would end up with different numbers...

Today's episode involves gambling, which is good for any child, of course! It should be included in every game! I mean, if kids are gonna lose lots of money on gambling, it may as well be play money in a video game instead of real money.

Oh wait, this is Nintendo so of course they're going to conform to European gambling laws outside of Europe and make everyone else miss out. They can even justify less effort that way. Well how's this then, I'll show you how you can get ahead in life by losing at gambling. How about that? Sound good?

The first step is to not use the slot machine in the bottom-right corner. For whatever reason its odds are about 1% better than all the others. Someone actually did "crack the code" here, and determined that the best way to win at the slots is to buy all the coins you want with money.

Oh yeah, Yellow Version also changes the slot images to Arbok, Weezing (I think?) and Meowth. Hmm, seems familiar. Anyways, lose all but 1 coin, this'll be important.

Next set up the Glitch City trick. Helps to watch the step counter in the RAM so you know when your time is up.

There are two ways to Walk Through Walls with Glitch City: A convoluted trick where you get ding-donged in the same step you hop off a ledge, then blackout from poisoning while still in the Safari Zone building, and this:

Talk to that NPC, say "No" and then get ding-donged during the scripted movement!

When you re-appear in the Safari Zone building, note the pallette: the game still thinks we're in Pewter City and will send us back there. If we were on a route or dungeon we'd appear in Glitch City.

When we do, something strange occurs. I save and reset.

We reload, and...uh...hey there buddy! He's constantly walking south and looping back to the top of the map...he'll stop in about one hour, but we can still talk to him before that.

Talk to him from the RIGHT and say "No". If you don't do it from the right, the game softlocks. In Red/Blue something silly happens, THEN the game softlocks, but it's worth a look.

Similar to Brock Through Walls, boom, instant ghost walking. Unlike Brock Through Walls, however, suddenly the down button stops working.

Fortunately, Flying to a new location fixes it.

You also get random NPCs moving erratically.

HOWEVER, I should mention something weird. When I tried this trick out, I could barely even move after Flying. After switching Pidgey to the bottom of my party like this and Flying again, however, I could move freely. I'm not sure how that was caused...

Anyhow! Head out to this location. It's south of Fuschia City.

Head left to find Glitch City, USA.

Pikachu tends to move slower throughout these areas, which can trigger off-screen Pikachu glitches. Speaking of which, there are in fact ways to use off-screen Pikachu in a practical manner.

In this particular variant of Glitch City, you're actually walking around on the game RAM, represented by the 2x2 blocks here. I'm not kidding! You see that tree there?

Since Cut trees are part of the tileset, and not NPC objects like in Generation 3, Cutting grass or a tree changes the value of the tile entirely. Meaning you can alter the RAM by Cutting things!

We'll find out what the result of that is later, but for now I need to beat Sabrina. She keeps her whip in Yellow Version, but now she only has the Alakazam family, which includes a useless Teleporting Abra. Oh, and I forgot to mention it, but in spite of all this mimicking of the TV Show, Blaine doesn't have Magmar in this version.

I still had Walk Through Walls when I got in, but that's gone now. Luckily I can Fly out.

And...oh, oops. The thing I wanted to show didn't work. I must have Cut the wrong tree.

Luckily after doing the trick with the Museum guy just one time, he re-appears and blocks the Pokémon Center when you come back so you can do it again.

So I save just in case and -- OH DEAR. I think I know what I did now. I have NOT been playing that long on this file.

This looks more like it. When I was doing this trick I was confused about how far I needed to walk to get to where I needed to. Yellow Version's RAM is precisely the same as Red/Blue's, it's just shifted one byte to the left.

Now then, I think it's time we finally take care of that Pokémon League thing!

Huh? I don't have all the badges?

Who cares? Walk Through Walls is its own badge!

Yep, in spite of there being a building in place to mask the tileset swap, you can still walk north of Route 22 to end up on Route 23!

When you get to the check for the Volcano Badge, head right until you see the corner-of-the-house tile here. Don't step on it, but head north.

There will be a door. You don't have to go in unless you want to cure the tileset problem. Where does it go?

That's where! You don't ever have to actually get the Boulder Badge because the check for that is in the Route 22 building, and you don't ever have to get the Earth Badge because you can skip the check for it! No other checks can be skipped since they trigger when you're vertically aligned to the NPC. You could beat the game with 7 Badges in Yellow Version and 6 Badges in Red/Blue. Or you could just wrong-warp and beat it with zero badges, but that's boring.

Pikachu also had this animation. For some reason.

We get inside and...it still didn't work. Huh. What did I change then?

Oh. I think Cutting that tree made Pikachu mad.

Okay let's try this while actually knowing how many steps to take. From this spot, step left 60 times (62 times in Yellow Version, 50 or 52 times in European versions) and step north 95 times.

What you see before you is the items in my PC, represented by map tiles! This is great for two reasons. One is that if you're looking for a particular setup for the Cooltrainer trick, all you have to do is refer to this map and position the items that make the tiles you want.

The other reason it's great is that tree right there. It represents the number 50, which is how many items I have in the PC at this moment.

Cutting it, therefore, causes the same effect as the Item Underflow trick! You can access other parts of RAM and interact with them as if they were items! Doing it from the PC lets you tinker with RAM you couldn't before.

For example: See that Master Ball? That item slot changes depending on how many coins you have in the Coin Case. The Master Ball is item 01. I have only one coin. Early, instant Master Ball. Or any other item in the game you want, too! The Surfboard, the Badges, TMs...though be careful, the quanitity of that item controls the first eight event flags! Withdrawing that item can cause certain events to repeat.

Like that!

But there's more. See the item above the Master Balls? That item's quantity is the first byte for the number of coins you have. Toss just one to make it 255, and...

You wind up with like 65,000 or so coins! Take that, gambling!

And look what we have here. Jack's item!

Let's take on the Elite Four now. Since we're actually battling for once, how about we go over all the glitches in the battle system itself?

- If a Pokémon is affected by Toxic, Leech Seed and Burn damage rise along with Toxic's. Yes, I said Burn damage. Even if you remove the poison, the game still increases the Toxic variable even though it's not doing anything.
- Toxic turns into regular poison if you switch out.
- Focus Energy actually reduces your crit chance due to the game dividing it instead of multiplying it.
- Debuffs from PAR and BRN stick even if the status is cured. You can actually stack the debuffs if you Burn or Paralyze the enemy multiple times in one battle.
- Agility and Swords Dance negate PAR and BRN debuffs entirely once used.
- FRZ is cured by Haze.
- Every move ever has a 1/256 chance to miss unless it's Swift, as does the MASTER BALL.
- The "It's Super Effective" and "Not Very Effective" messages are based on the enemy's SECOND type only, but the damage is still calculated correctly.
- If you boost your Attack way high and do an extreme amount of damage, it can roll over into an extremely small amount of damage. This happens in VERY rare circumstances, such as Gen 2 Marowak with a Thick Club.
- Substitute kills you if you have exactly 25% HP left when used.
- Substitute doesn't protect from status moves.
- Killing a Sub with Selfdestruct doesn't kill the SDer.
- Killing a Sub or anyone with Hyper Beam doesn't require a recharge turn.
- One missed Rage causes it to have 1/256 accuracy. I don't get this at all.
- Mimic can create duplicate moves.
- Disable builds the Rage counter. No joke.
- When the computer uses any non-damage move, there's a chance of failure. This includes Teleport.
- At 255 or 511 HP Recovery moves always fail.
- The big one: If Fly or Dig is used and you lose the attack turn due to Paralysis, you get put into a state where no attacks can hit you at all but you can still attack. This is fixed by switching out or using Fly/Dig again.
- Moves that inflict a status can't inflict that status on enemies whose type matches the move's type. That means Body Slam can't Paralyze Normal-types but works just fine on the Ground-Types. Very odd.

Anyways, the Elite Four isn't really a threat with my--

Wait what am I doing?! I don't have to bother with these losers, I have Jack's item!

Just "Jack into" the door like this, and push up!

Boom, you're in the next room! You can skip all of the Elite Four this way.

In Lance's room, though, be sure not to move adjacent to him, or he'll start talking. Also, you can Surf in the statues in Red/Blue.

This also glitches out the last room. The Rival is supposed to instantly battle you but he just sits there now. I can talk to him but he does nothing. Clearly he gave up any pretense of beating me.

Just walk into the final room, and you win.

"Exploits" indeed. I wonder if the translator worded it that way knowing about all the bugs.

Well, if you say I need more then the LP can't really end now.

And now, the credits!

Somehow, they still have jobs!

One thing won't change no matter the country, the language, or the time. 10 years later, 50 years later, 100 years later, they'll still be re-using Ootani voice clips for Pikachu, because there is no substitute.

"I quit the family shoemaking business for this!"

Why couldn't they hire him back for Generation 6? sob

...Nope! Still not the end, I'm afraid!

Hm, but where do we go from here now...? Maybe I could use a break from all this glitch business while I think about it?

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

InspectorSands posted:

I'm getting the kinda vibes I get from the cutscene in Twilight Princess that covers the history of the fused shadow. I NEVER liked those vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Ephraim225 posted:

- The "It's Super Effective" and "Not Very Effective" messages are based on the enemy's SECOND type only, but the damage is still calculated correctly.

Actually, it's based on the order the type matchups are stored in internally.

• Locked thread