Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's clearly Koffing, :cmon:

E: update bottom of the previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh my god. If you skipped this video when you read the update, you have to check it out. I don't even know what to say. What is that intro?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ariong posted:

Oh my god. If you skipped this video when you read the update, you have to check it out. I don't even know what to say. What is that intro?

You know, I should have gotten the hint when it was blocked in Germany for use of copyrighted music.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ariong posted:

In the description, he calls the Safari Zone guard the "Lord of the door". A translation thing, I'm sure. But I really like that name.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Ariong posted:

A typical YT Gamer intro? :v: The only things its missing is a big loud outro with 'IF YOU LIKE THIS, PLEASE HIT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE', or those super-imposed blocks of text with links to what he/his friends/this cute cat also does, but that last one is more for like, lyric videos. The worst in either case is the invisible link ones. Where if you click the video to pause it, you're suddenly opening up a new video about something inane and unrelated.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, but it's always impressive when they do intros on short videos.
Like seriously, the dudes intro was half of that video.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

No promises there.

Apologies for taking so long with this update! I needed something of a break from my quest to corrupy and destroy the world, so I took some time off to figure how how to more efficiently corrupt and destroy the world. And you know what I found out?

The Pokémon glitch community...HAS FIGURED OUT A NEW TRICK.

It's the year 2016 and they're STILL FINDING THESE TRICKS. This one's even CRAZIER than the Q glitch in my opinion.

Okay, here's what you do. First, get the Itemfinder from this guy. You don't need the item, what you need is to set the event flag. Which unfortunately means you need to catch 30 Pokémon, killing any hope this trick has in speedrunning, but I digress.

Next, we need to have certain trainers defeated on Route 11. Here's a map I stole from GameFAQs and scribbled over:

Now this probably looks like some whacko rumor, but stay with me. See the left-most circled trainer?

We're setting him up for a Mew Glitch on Route 11. He's the only one that can be used, so thank goodness he's there.

So you know the drill, Fly away, battle someone else, shove a boulder, etc. And then you want to come over to this sign and read it. Don't worry about what an American is doing in Japan, just read it.

In Red/Blue however you would want to read this sign instead. Same setup otherwise.

Then head back to Route 11, and what do we find?

HELLO THERE. What have we done now?

Okay, this is just crazy. You'll recall that I've stated you should not talk to NPCs between starting the Mew Glitch and getting the resulting encounter, because the game recalls the most recent text box ID, and if that ID doesn't exist in the current map, bad things happen.

You'll also recall that ANYTHING out of the ordinary in this game can be put to your advantage. ANYTHING. Reading that sign and getting a glitch encounter on Route 11 makes the game point to the Trainer flags for that map and read that as text - which is why certain Trainers had to be defeated, so we could fool the game into loading a PokéMart screen here. I'm dead serious. The Itemfinder flag needed to be set in order to actually make the shop have items, because it'd have zero items without it.

And what are those items, you ask?

Oh yes, MANY items can appear here, and the best part is, most items not normally sold cost absolutely nothing. 99 Master Balls, more Fossils, the Surfboard...

I also tried selling Jack's item, which you can't always do, but look at that payout!

Exiting WOULD have started the battle...but see, in order to resolve the glitch, I had pushed a Strength boulder - you don't encounter anything in the process of that, so the game tries to have you encounter nothing. Has quite the effect on Pikachu! I've heard that if you're doing this in Red/Blue, you can only do this trick one time unless you lose the actual encounter, though I imagine if you wind up not getting an encounter at all, you can do it as much as you like!

What a glitch. What a game. New stuff always getting discovered...the ride never ends for Generation 1 players. Ah, but sometimes you just gotta take a break.

Pikachu falls in love with Clefairy. I'll be in the corner pacing while he does that.

Hey, where'd everybody go? What happen--

AAAAAAAAAAAAH NOT AGAIN! GET OUTTA THERE!

Who? What? Where am I? Don't tell me I glitched the game so hard we're in an entirely different generation.

Nah, I'm bullshitting. Welcome to Generation 2! Can't have a glitch LP without giving this one some attention, now can we? Sure, they fixed a lot, but we'll see if we can't get anything to slip through the cracks!

Here's a bug already: If you toggle Daylight Savings Time in rapid succession you'll suddenly get lots and lots of calls from your contacts.

So don't do that. Nobody likes them.

Now, this game makes a strong case for the Fire starter, unlike the previous generation, but Water is still the best, as it always has been and always will be. The thought of the Rival putting in the effort to steal a frigging Grass starter alone is well worth it.

GRASS. STARTER.

See? Now he gets it.

So how many people out there actually entered "???" as his name because of this? Not the best idea, Game Freak.

Okay, onto some actual glitching. Most of Generation 2's actual problems are either formulaic errors (Custom PokéBalls are frigging useless, thanks Kurt) or have something to do with the battle system (Marowak can overflow its Attack with a Thick Club and Swords Dance, resulting in Earthquake doing like 10 damage) but there's not really any glaring errors - they did a much better job bug-checking this game. The real glitching in this playthrough doesn't start until Goldenrod City.

In the English versions, anyways. In the Japanese versions, the Bug Catching Contest has...well, a BUG that lets you clone your Pokémon without save corruption, but they fixed it so I can't show it.

Here's another funny one: If you miss with an OHKO move in any version, the enemy can Counter it! Even though they fixed it in Crystal version, they were forced to revert back to Gold/Silver's behavior so Link Battles wouldn't desync. That is sad!

In preparation for that, you must at least see a Bellsprout or Machop. Bellsprout is very easy, and a trainer somewhere uses Machop. You must also catch Wooper. This'll be important later.

Ladies and gentlemen, the most broken item in Generation 2: THE COIN CASE!

Now, you may wonder how the Coin Case of all things broke Generation 2. Well, the setup is lengthy and annoying if you aren't speedrunning, but let's have a look.

Evolve Wooper into Quagsire and teach it Sleep Talk. Sleep Talk must be the FIRST move on its move list, don't forget!

Next, have Quagsire hold an HP UP.

Arrange the party like so: Quagsire should be fourth, and the other three should be Pokémon that are fresh catches you don't care about.

The absolute worst part of the setup is the items that need to be in your PC. As you can imagine just by seeing two TM27s, it may take awhile to actually get the items you need. I like to say I'm not hacking at all to demonstrate these tricks, but in this instance I hacked my PC items to save myself a lot of time. I hope you don't mind. Can you tell what's going on yet, though?

Stand at this location in the Goldenrod Pokémon Center, save, reset, and continue.

Upon continuing, move down one tile and right four tiles, then open the menu.

View the PokéDex entry of Bellsprout or Machop, then use the Coin Case!

Bingo!

...Wait, no, that's not supposed to happen...

Okay, what I'm actually trying to do here is - I kid you not - use the Coin Case for Arbitrary Code Execution. Yep! ACE is in Generation 2, but ONLY due to a translation error: In the English versions, the Coin Case code is glitched. If Bellsprout, Machop or Machoke's cry is the last cry to occur, it's possible for the Coin Case to interpret your party as ASM code. People first discovered the Coin Case glitch when they tried using it after talking to the Machoke in Vermillion City, but it was YEARS before anything practical was found.

What speedrunners do is keep the Wooper unevolved, teach it Return, and have it hold Protein. This makes the game jump to their PC Box names, which you can rename in this generation and write code THAT way. My Quagsire is customized so that the game interprets it as a jump to the items stored in the PC and interprets that next instead.

At least, that's what I was TRYING. There are multiple factors that can mess this up. If the third Pokémon in your party has a value the game doesn't like, it can cause problems. You can also run into issues if the emulator you're playing on doesn't replicate the Coin Case glitch properly - this will always work on console, but I had to try another version of VBA.

When I did, the game instantly reset and did THAT. Egads, it's not just Gyarados that turns red now!

It's way funnier in Gold version because Ho-Oh actually loses its silhouette and reveals itself in all its rainbow chicken glory.

This is starting to look like one of those drug addict ROM hacks everyone loved in the early 2000s.

Not touching that grass! Fortunately, this effect is completely temporary. As soon as you reset, everything's back to normal.

I then re-attempted the Coin Case glitch with this party. For the record, here is the list of items I hacked into my PC for this:

code:
[ANY ITEM]	[ANY QUANTITY]
[ANY ITEM]	x38
TM27	x2
Fresh Water	x42
Lovely Mail	x1
HM07	x1
Poke Ball	x65
Great Ball	x4
Everstone	x1
Surf Mail	x51
Full Heal	x18
Flower Mail	x46
HM03	x1
X Speed	x1
TM06	x1
TM41	x1
Gathering all that without a Gameshark is tedious, but totally possible.

YES! It worked this time! So what did that code do exactly?

Go to the Day-Care and deposit and withdraw any Pokémon you don't care about. You'll notice that it instantly gains levels...

And has had a bit of an identity crisis.

Yes, the code I just ran turns the next Pokémon to come from the Day-Care into Celebi. ONLY the species byte changes, however, so you'll have to overwrite its moves to make it legal. But still! Now you don't need that stupid event from Crystal version. Though the PokéDex flag doesn't get set, that can be fixed by trading it or sending it to Stadium 2 and back.

However, there appears to have been a slight side effect. I don't know how this happened, but Croconaw is now suffering the hybrid glitch. Remember that from Generation 1? Where a Pokémon's two species bytes don't match?

Luckily evolving to Feraligatr fixes everything. If I couldn't do that, then he'd be stuck with Celebi's back sprite unless I send him to the Day-Care which would make him Celebi for good.

Hmmm. Speaking of hybrids, I did mention Q is also in Generation 2. Let's go get him!

In the code I've shown, HM07 determined the species of the Pokémon I was going to get. HM07 is the 249th item, however the stack of four Great Balls increments the number by two, to 251. So I add two more stacks of four Great Balls to make that number 255. If you deposit three stacks of 99 and withdraw 95 of each stack, you get three stacks of four Great Balls, so you can manipulate the incoming Pokémon that way.

I...what? 247 levels?! Well, that looks like a very expensive ransom I MEAN AHEM CAREGIVING FEE but it's actually just 24,800, that text box never displays more than four digits. So what did we get?

It's Q, but in its Generation 2 form. Let's see how he battles.

Oh dear. He looks like me!

He's useless. Unless someone has an incredible piece of advice for me on how to use him.

Without...fighting? What?

Whatever, let's check his stats again...

Oh...OH RIGHT. I forgot all about this! Q still has the property where he and anything below him are ignored by most game functions - like healing!

So what happens if you enter battle with all fainted Pokémon?

...Nothing! You just instantly win before you can send anything out! See, Generation 2 added an actual error handler here. Trying to fight with no Pokémon to send out causes the game to just exit the battle and pretend you won. Sure you get no EXP or money, but who needs that?! Q can trick the game into not healing your team after a blackout, which means you have nothing to send out! You can move through the entire game this way.

No need to deal with this brat ever again!

So, that was a handful of the glitches in Generation 2. There's one last trick I'll discuss because it's not really worth trying out. This trick has to do with this guy:

WANNA BET?

Q's cloaking ability ALSO extends to the Time Capsule. He and anything below him won't be checked for compatibility, letting you send Generation 2 moves and Pokémon to Generation 1, which then turn into glitch moves and Pokémon - whatever their ID equivalents are. This lets you get glitch Pokémon you couldn't before, not that there were many you couldn't get before.

You can even get glitch moves without Q. If a trade evolution Pokémon is traded into Generation 2, at the level it would learn something exclusive to Generation 2 in its new form, you can teach it the move then trade it back to Generation 1, since you're already past the compatibility check. Glitch move get.

We've broken Generations 1 and 2 to hell and back now. I can't thank my viewers enough for sticking with me all this time, but I think I've officially run out of material now. Which means all that's left is to do something big to finish the LP on. Hmmm, but what? Maybe the answer is...Crystal clear? Heheheh...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think these are some of the best glitches I've ever seen. Very, very weird and cool stuff!

Is there an explanation of how Q works?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Why would they make the error handler push you out of the fight with a win instead of a loss if you had no viable Pokemon? :psyduck:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Cathode Raymond posted:

Why would they make the error handler push you out of the fight with a win instead of a loss if you had no viable Pokemon? :psyduck:

Probably to prevent a loop of getting challenged by the same trainer again the very next frame. I'm guessing it was either this or rewriting their entire battle routine to allow blacking out first thing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I would figure that the idea is something along the lines of "well, if the player has no viable Pokemon, sending him to the loss routine, involving a return to the Pokemon Center and healing those zero viable Pokemon up, is probably more likely to cause a problem than the win routine, which just ends the fight and sets the 'beaten' flag, so let's just do that".

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Plus it's a situation that should never actually happen. You should white out as soon as all your pokemon faint, which means you should never be able to fight trainers with a party of fainted pokemon. Immediately backing you out of the battle is a really simple way to handle this scenario, though automatically whiting you out would be better in my opinion.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Geemer posted:

Probably to prevent a loop of getting challenged by the same trainer again the very next frame. I'm guessing it was either this or rewriting their entire battle routine to allow blacking out first thing.

Which is, if I recall, how every Pokemon game from Ruby/Sapphire on handles it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
So, uh, are you going to attempt to create a bad clone and show off that entire method of getting pokemon?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Solumin posted:

Is there an explanation of how Q works?

You can trace most of the Q tricks back to the fact that the game considers 255, or 0xFF, to be an "End-of-data" marker. When it reaches the 0xFF in whatever function is being carried out, it stops there and returns to whatever else it was doing. The game has no failsafe for if the player actually gets species 0xFF into their party because you're not supposed to do that.

GeneX posted:

So, uh, are you going to attempt to create a bad clone and show off that entire method of getting pokemon?

That's save corruption, so not likely? Do people really need to do that?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ephraim225 posted:

That's save corruption, so not likely? Do people really need to do that?

I mean, there's alternate methods of getting the same result, but it is a way to get pokemon that aren't attainable, and it doesn't require a gameshark. I figured it counted as a glitch, seeing as it actually builds off of an entirely different one: cloning, specifically. If ACE is considered a glitch, turning off the game to manipulate stuff probably should be as well, but maybe there's some weird terminology gap here.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That coin case thing is fantastic.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Welcome to Pokémon Emerald! Did you think the glitchiness ended with Generation 2? Ha! Generation 3 has its fair share of bugs too, though like with Generation 2, there's really only one big glitch and lots of little ones. Most of what I'm covering is exclusive to Emerald, since certain new features introduced new glitches, but Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, and Leaf Green aren't immune to this either.

For instance, one of the biggest problems with Ruby/Sapphire was that the real-time clock had a problem where, after 365 days, the clock would suddenly freeze for 365 days. (As I understand it, anyways.) This is notable as one of the earliest games to have a glitch patched out, because when Ruby/Sapphire interacts with just about any other Generation 3 game, that game sets Ruby/Sapphire's internal clock one year forward to fix the problem.

Japanese Ruby/Sapphire had a few quirks, too. The biggest one was a glitch where using Trick to swap an enemy's hold item with Mail enough times led to a glitched state where you could turn Mail into whatever item you got.

Anyhow, for Emerald, the glitches don't happen until very late in the game, so instead of playing up to that point, I downloaded a save off GameFAQs. Surely they won't cause any problems--

Dammit, GameFAQs. Well, hopefully you guys don't mind this too much?

Also, uh, I don't how he did it, but he apparently was able to use fonts from the Japanese version in the US version? I'm pretty sure I didn't download a Japanese save...

So, as we all know, due to the hardware upgrade from Generation 2 to 3, backwards compatibility was impossible. Game Freak took the opportunity to overhaul the EV system, and it's a good thing too, no way would I ever want to knock out 400 Mews just to max out my Pokémon.

Under the new system, a stat's EVs cap at 255, and each Pokémon is allowed a maximum of 510. This not only means you have to make a choice about what bonuses you want, it also means far less battles fought. I ran the numbers, and to get the 510 EVs, a single Pokémon only really needs to fight 128 battles at most if you don't have vitamins or the PokéRus, the latter being extremely rare. If you DO have those, the number of battles can be as low as twenty-five, a HUGE improvement. However, there were still two problems with it:

1) EV grinding progress is still completely invisible to the player, because this game is about friendship, not training for glorified cockfighting.

2) If you make a mistake and get an EV you don't want, there is no way to undo it.

Now, Emerald version added a fix to problem #2. (No fix for #1 because come on, this is Game Freak, they don't want you to play the way YOU want to.) Six previously useless berries now lower EVs, one for every stat. Including HP. So, guess what the most broken item in Emerald version is?

What's that? How could Pomeg Berries be the most broken thing ever? Ahaha, you'll see! These aren't available until Fortree City, so their usefulness may be a bit limited.

I've filled up my first two boxes like so. I'll tell you right now that boxes 1 and 2 are going to get massively corrupted so anything you care about should be moved elsewhere.

Next, get a Pokémon with HP EVs down to 1 remaining HP. You'll need to know in advance whether or not a Pomeg Berry will make your HP drop by at least two. My setup is to have a Ghost with an odd number of max HP Curse two times, which puts them at 1 remaining HP, and at this level, a Pomeg Berry will definitely take off two max HP.

Thing is, the Pomeg Berry ALSO takes off two REMAINING HP. This causes my HP to underflow to 65,535! Now you've got a nigh-invincible tank!

But wait, it gets even crazier. Have everyone in the party except your 65,535 HP mega-tank and one other Pokémon faint. Enter battle and lead with the tank, switch to the other Pokémon, then exit the battle.

Then deposit the non-glitched, non-fainted Pokémon, and use any healing item on the glitched Pokémon. It gets "healed" back down to zero HP, meaning it faints. Except you won't blackout, and the game won't notice your entire team has fainted until you try to fight again, either.

When you do, you're greeted by what players call "Decamark". Or, what a blank PokéDex slot looks like!

You can also do this in Generation 4, and it's even easier since the EV-reducing berries now take an EV down to 100 if it's above 100, and if not it takes off 10 EVs like usual. For this reason, they changed EV reducing berries back to what they were in Emerald when Generation 5 came out.

Anything else I show in this post can't be done in Generation 4. However, while Pomeg Berries don't reduce EVs in other Generation 3 games, if you glitch a Pokémon's HP and trade it to another Generation 3 game, it'll still have glitched HP and you can do these tricks.

Decamark appeared because the game was forced to send out an empty slot. This causes a very weird glitch state. Notice the Cancel button. It looks normal, right?

First, view a normal Pokémon's status. Then push down until you're at the Cancel button again.

It's only half-highlighted now, and if you hold the up button, you'll start scrolling through Pokémon beyond the sixth slot, because the game now thinks there are 256 Pokémon in the party. This is not good.

When the screen color changes that's your cue to back out of the menu and either use a Fluffy Tail or blackout. I prefer avoiding the latter, though your team won't actually get healed if you blackout.

Okay, so what did that do?

Uh-oh. I think there's a problem.

In order to punish fun-havers, Generation 3 implemented numerous checks to make sure Pokémon aren't altered by external devices. Each Pokémon has four blocks of data that are read in a different order depending on its Personality Value, which determines other stuff like Gender and Ability. This data is also encrypted and has a checksum. If the checksum doesn't match the data, the game turns the Pokémon into an unhatchable "Bad Egg" which can't be deleted or released. If you force it to hatch, the game crashes.

However, back in the Pokémon menu, we were scrolling through data which isn't actually Pokémon data, almost certainly triggering the anti-cheat checks, causing that data to be altered. And even though boxed Pokémon are still Pokémon, the game doesn't need to track statuses or remaining HP for boxed Pokémon, so the game thinks they're party Pokémon with far more data than they actually do.

If that confused you, all you really need to know is, "Data was interpreted as the wrong kind of data". Other values can get corrupted, but so far there are few ways to consistently manipulate the results of this trick, which was given the best name ever: "Glitzer Popping".

We can make the best of it, though. Banette and Swablu here are still knocked out, so what happens if we take the Bad Egg and enter battle?

You can battle with it!

You can also get glitch moves as a result of the corruptions. That is the best smiley I've ever seen. What's it do?

That is beautiful.

Here's another one which crashes the game. I wanted to get the glitch move that causes trainer battles to turn into wild battles, but luck was not on my side. Glitzer Popping is very unreliable even if you can do some cool things with it.

It also doesn't help that if you go too long without a real Pokémon in the party you just...collapse.

There's something you don't see every day: Eggs with items!

This player had a Bad Egg even before I did all that. I wonder what it has?

Hmmm. Could it be a Tropius gone bad?

There is also what I like to call "Bad Egg Double Zero" because its ID is 0x00. No info displayed, but I can pick it up. Viewing its status crashes.

It can produce some weird effects.

It's even shiny.

Apparently it's a gold Bulbasaur! I got that to happen by healing, picking up the Bad Egg, swapping it with Banette and then putting Banette away.

So I gave the glitch another shot and got a regular Egg. I can use it to show off something else.

If you have only fainted Pokémon and an Egg in your party when you battle, the Egg is forced into combat, so you can see what's inside before hatching it. This applies to any Egg, not just glitch Eggs. You can even level it up - though the Pokémon returns to Level 5 when it hatches, it keeps all learned moves and evolutions! Now you can go forth and...um...break the Little Cup?

This one had more glitch moves. Nothing of interest.

So! You may wonder if there is a way to manipulate the outcome of Glitzer Popping. Supposedly, there is.

For that, we come down to the dark depths of Meteor Falls. This one, tiny room is where we can find...

...Bagon to go with our Eggs.

Aha. Bagon. Eggs.

This guy in Pacifidlog Town wants Bagon in exchange for his Horsea, which he caught on his birthday and is happy to trade away to us for some reason.

Oooooh, I will. MWAHAHAHA.

...You're kidding me right? They look nothing alike.

What we now need to do is head down to the Battle Tower. I imagine players will get the most use out of the following glitch. It's incredibly funny. You know how I didn't show off the classic cloning tricks because you technically use save corruption to do that?

This cloning trick requires no correct timing or save corruption, so it's your lucky day.

Deposit what you want to clone into the first row of Box 1. Make sure nothing else is in that box, then save. Next, withdraw what you're cloning into your party.

Talk to the lady on the far right here, enter any challenge, and when you get to the save prompt here, reset. You don't need to hit "Yes" and you don't need to time it at all.

Reload, and you'll find that the Pokémon you withdrew is still in the box. I swear I'm not making this up! I have no idea how this one slipped through, but it's nice that you can clone not only any Pokémon, but any item, too! Master Balls and Rare Candies, anyone?

Now, for this, I wanted to clone that one specific Horsea, because its Personality Value is fixed at 0x0000007F. Remember how I said each Pokémon has four blocks of data that the game reads in a different order depending on the Personality Value? With Glitzer Popping, if you're lucky, you can get it to change the order the data is read, which in practical terms, means you can have the game interpret EVs as something else. Say, its species?

Now, as I said, this is totally random and might not actually work, but if it does, you'll get an Egg with the species of however many HP and Attack EVs you had.

See? Eggs! We can check their contents by forcing the Egg into battle, of course.

Oh. It's just Horsea, unfortunately, but hey, we can check out the glitch moves.

It's...it's a move that damages the user.

Whatever this was, it never actually hit, but the target can be either side.

So since I couldn't actually get it to work, I'll instead link a video by Werster, a known Pokémon speedrunner, demonstrating for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOEwPnv2TFM

And there you go. The Egg actually hatches, so you do in fact get the Dex entry as well. Note that if you get a Mew or Deoxys this way, they'll never obey you, since the game is programmed not to let any Mew or Deoxys not gotten through the right event to obey you. What, you thought Pokémon was about having fun? Pffft, it was never about fun.

It was about CHAOS AND CORRUPTION! No matter which Generation, we will not rest until we've corrupted and destroyed everything. Time and again, WE WILL DO IT!

In Pokémon Colosseum, when capturing something, have the first Pokémon use the Ball, and then on the second turn, switch the slot the Ball is in with another one. Neither Ball will be consumed, allowing for INFINITE MASTER BALLS!

Also in Colosseum, if an enemy is defeated by Poison or Burn while the player has a Perish Song countdown, experience is earned not only for the knockout, but also every time the countdown decreases!

In Generation 3, under rare circumstances Wally will knock out the Ralts he's supposed to capture. In even rarer circumstances, the Ralts will be shiny! In either case, the game continues on regardless of what happened.

In Fire Red and Leaf Green, if the roaming legendary dog uses Roar to escape the battle, they're removed from the game entirely as if knocked out. Assholes!

In Emerald, if you lose a trainer battle and then knock out Lati@s, the game thinks it's still in a trainer battle so the "trainer" sends out more enemies, except you can capture one!

Ditto strikes again in Generation 4! In Japanese Diamond/Pearl, if Mimic is used to learn and then use Transform, it will permanently keep the moves of whatever it Transformed into! Ditto can also clone items!

In Japanese Platinum, you can meet the avatar of Giratina, Ace Trainer Deana, who pulls you into an endless purgatory of battles!

Did you know Sky Drop was banned in Generation 5? Here's why: In Doubles or Triples, if you use Gravity on a Pokémon affected by Sky Drop, the Sky Dropper comes down, but the target is permanently stuck not able to do anything!

Cloning returns in Generation 6 through the usual method, but that's not all! If Symbiosis is activated and attempts to pass an item to a Pokémon that just used an Eject Button, that Pokémon recieves the item fine, but next time they switch in, the item has its effect doubled! We're talking doubled Weakness Policies and QUADRUPLED Leftovers!

It never ends. IT NEVER ENDS!

This concludes this glitch exhibition of the Pokémon series! I'm happy to have been able to destroy your childhoods once again! But keep an eye out for any big discoveries in the coming years, you never know when someone will poke a new hole and bring the programming crashing down once more...!

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Holy crap, I had no idea cloning stuff was so easy in Emerald. That's ridiculous that they finally figured out how to put sanity checks in and yet completely missed that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for showing off all that stuff!

Somewhat unrelated question for you code diggers, it seems that the speed at which the HP bar lowers after an attack depends on how much HP was taken. For instance, if an attack takes away half of the HP bar, is that's 20 HP it'll be gone in an instant, but if that's 200 it will take way longer.

I might be wrong, but when playing the games it kinda seemed to me that this speed depends on other factors as well. Does anyone know if that's true?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SWMadness posted:

Holy crap, I had no idea cloning stuff was so easy in Emerald. That's ridiculous that they finally figured out how to put sanity checks in and yet completely missed that.

It seems less that they "figured out" how to put in sanity checks, and more that there was finally enough room on the cartridge for them. It was mentioned earlier that the whole reason the old Pokemon games were so lacking in any form of error handling was that the games themselves took up basically the entire cartridge, with no room for anything else.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

EclecticTastes posted:

It seems less that they "figured out" how to put in sanity checks, and more that there was finally enough room on the cartridge for them. It was mentioned earlier that the whole reason the old Pokemon games were so lacking in any form of error handling was that the games themselves took up basically the entire cartridge, with no room for anything else.

You're right, I should've phrased that as "it's ridiculous they took the time to program the sanity checks needed to prevent you from hacking in pokemon and somehow managed to miss that."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ephraim I'm sorry you had to end the thread due to getting owned by gamefaqs. I hope you have a swift recovery.

:żW

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Ariong posted:

Ephraim I'm sorry you had to end the thread due to getting owned by gamefaqs. I hope you have a swift recovery.

That's, uh...not...the reason at all...I'm out of material, what else do I show?

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ephraim225 posted:

That's, uh...not...the reason at all...I'm out of material, what else do I show?

Well, now that Pokemon has been all glitched out, it's time...to glitch the wooooorld! I don't know how you'll do it, maybe just go cosplay as Missingno. and carry a recording of glitched pokemon cries as you walk through a mall.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ephraim225 posted:

I think he was joking, but I'm glad you showed off as much as you could. It was real interesting seeing this stuff in action, especially since a lot of it I can only really lightly mention in my LPs cause I would have no idea what I'd be doing if I tried any of it. If there's anything else you could think of showing then I'd love to see it, otherwise, great LP!

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Ephraim225 posted:

Deposit what you want to clone into the first row of Box 1. Make sure nothing else is in that box, then save. Next, withdraw what you're cloning into your party.

Actually, it doesn't matter at all what box you deposit into or what else is in it. The only thing to watch out for is to not deposit any Pokémon between saving and talking to the receptionist, or else it'll be erased when you reload (essentially doing the trick in reverse).

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to see a demonstration of using the Rage glitch to put Sheer Cold on a No Guard Machamp in DPPt. There are already videos of the Surf glitch and tweaking out there, but I'm having a harder time finding something for Machamp + Rage.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Zyxyz posted:

Actually, it doesn't matter at all what box you deposit into or what else is in it. The only thing to watch out for is to not deposit any Pokémon between saving and talking to the receptionist, or else it'll be erased when you reload (essentially doing the trick in reverse).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that deleting Pokémon is possible this way - which is great if you're looking to delete all those Bad Eggs.

Mick Swagger posted:

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to see a demonstration of using the Rage glitch to put Sheer Cold on a No Guard Machamp in DPPt. There are already videos of the Surf glitch and tweaking out there, but I'm having a harder time finding something for Machamp + Rage.

Ooh, good idea though what's the point if you're getting No Guard Fissure Machamp totally legit once Gen 7 comes out

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Ariong posted:

Okay, well, now I know what that smiley is.

__/_________________________________
|I WARNED YOU ABOUT STAIRS BRO|

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the thread. it was excellent.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, I'm surprised you're ending this at Gen 3 when Gen 4 has a glitch that is 1) very useful 2) very known and 3) very easy to do. I am talking, of course, of Tweaking, a glitch important enough to have its own Bulbapedia page yet simple enough that even I did it with no effort and barely any physical pain.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised you're ending this at Gen 3 when Gen 4 has a glitch that is 1) very useful 2) very known and 3) very easy to do. I am talking, of course, of Tweaking, a glitch important enough to have its own Bulbapedia page yet simple enough that even I did it with no effort and barely any physical pain.

Well sure but you have to suffer through non-Platinum Sinnoh to do it.

But if it's that simple, then I guess I could try it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This is a pretty fun LP! It's actually got me buying Blue for the 3DS so I can muck around with it as well. Thanks for showing all of this off!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, you can trade from the virtual console versions of the originals to newer games, right?

How the hell does this work? I thought that because the stat calculations changed between generations 2 and 3, either the visible stats would "randomly" change, or the visible stats would get out of sync with all the hidden numbers used in the formula. In the second case, you'd run into all kinds of calculation problems with levelling up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Oh, you can trade from the virtual console versions of the originals to newer games, right?

How the hell does this work? I thought that because the stat calculations changed between generations 2 and 3, either the visible stats would "randomly" change, or the visible stats would get out of sync with all the hidden numbers used in the formula. In the second case, you'd run into all kinds of calculation problems with levelling up.

Presumably they have some fixed conversion for the old hidden numbers to the new ones. And maybe dump EVs in general since they're handled completely differently in the old games.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Carbon dioxide posted:

Only into the PokéBank, and they have specific code for the conversion.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Maybe it's just your style, Ephraim, but you seem... kinda bitter? A lot of comments that sound (to me) snide about how Pokemon SUCKS (now). I could easily be misinterpreting, but what's your opinion regarding the later games, and what if anything specific got you so into the glitch scene?

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

this was a great read, thanks for all the wacky glitches! I knew something about a handful of them, and the rest just blew me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

John Lee posted:

Maybe it's just your style, Ephraim, but you seem... kinda bitter? A lot of comments that sound (to me) snide about how Pokemon SUCKS (now). I could easily be misinterpreting, but what's your opinion regarding the later games, and what if anything specific got you so into the glitch scene?

I...don't think I mention later generations at all in the LP very often, but I wasn't fond of Generation 6 at all. Maybe Generation 5 was a tough act to follow, or maybe I like Gen 5 too much because Gen 4 was subpar, and maybe I think that because Generation 3 was so good, etc.

Glitching Generation 1 became a sort of side-hobby when I started trying to seriously beat the tournaments in the Stadium games. You need a lot of resources to play in Round 2 without your face melting. I've been trounced by not-fully evolved starters in that game.

• Locked thread